The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Republican Journal article on ZOE"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

George Tirebiter 2982 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

02-26-02, 05:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail George%20Tirebiter Click to send private message to George%20Tirebiter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Republican Journal article on ZOE"
No, I have not joined the ranks of the GOP --this comes to me by way of someone I respect despite her politics.

Interview w/ZOE
+------------------------------------------------------------------------+
+ As featured in the on-line version of The Republican Journal
+------------------------------------------------------------------------+

PART of ABOVE ARTICLE:

Zanidakis, a member of the Rotu tribe, knows better than most what it takes to survive on a remote island lacking many modern conveniences.

"The island and ocean are really my home and being on Nuku Hiva was just an extension of that for me. Out here, you have to be adaptable and I just took that with me," Zanidakis said in a recent interview from her Monhegan Island residence.

Long before she became the first Mainer to appear on a Survivor series, she was the ninth generation of her family to live and work on Monhegan Island, 10 miles offshore from Port Clyde. Prior to the installation a few years ago of giant generators on the mile-long island, the 60-or-so year-round residents relied upon kerosene lamps for illumination and went without such things as television, microwaves and hair dryers.

Every fall, after Monhegan's summer tourist season, the water pumped from the island's fresh-water aquifer to the dwellings in its tiny fishing village, is shut off to prevent freeze-ups and burst pipes during the winter.

Although Zanidakis now has a system that gathers rainwater and pumps it throughout her rustic, ancestral home, as a youngster, she lugged water from a hand-dug well for her family's needs.

Summer always brought plenty of playmates to the island for Zanidakis but in winter, she was one of only 13 children attending eight grades in the island's one-room schoolhouse.

Often relying upon herself for companionship and entertainment, the self-proclaimed tomboy was naturally drawn to the outdoors and being on the water. As she grew older, she followed in the wake of many other island women, including her mother, and worked on the fishing boats of male friends and relatives.

"I'd gotten my feet wet in the fisheries before I dove in," she said, explaining how she became the first and only woman to skipper her own lobster boat in Monhegan's 14-boat fleet. Having left the island to attend high school at Maine Central Institute in Pittsfield, and for marriage, she returned a young, divorced, single mother of an infant son and in need of a job.

After working a couple of seasons as a stern man on several Monhegan lobster boats, the rugged, independent woman went into the lobster-fishing business for herself 13 years ago.

A rigorous occupation fraught with risks, lobstering is not an easy way to earn a living, especially in the waters surrounding Monhegan Island where the season runs from December to May. At a time of year when most Maine lobstermen have their traps neatly stacked in their dooryards for winter, Zanidakis and her Monhegan colleagues are out hauling theirs during some of the state's worst weather. It's a practice regulated by law but rooted in an age-old island tradition of fishing for crustaceans during the months when pursuing other ocean-dwelling species, such as mackerel and herring, was less productive. For Zanidakis, it's a way of life that not only equipped her with the strength, skill and stamina to be a successful lobster fisherman but also a 'survivor'.

Under contract with the series' producers, Zanidakis is not at liberty to divulge the outcome or any behind-the-scenes details of Survivor: Marquesas. She did say at a recent visit to her alma mater in Pittsfield that she did very well and lost 25 pounds during the experience.

She also explained why she applied to be a contestant on the show, even though she had never watched any of the previous Survivor series.

The real life challenges of living and working on Monhegan, not to mention the lack of cable TV and good television reception there, prevented her from seeing the first three Survivor epics. But when a friend suggested she'd be a likely candidate for the series, Zanidakis, who is also featured in the 2002 Lobstering Women of Maine calendar, checked out the Survivor Web site at www.cbs.com and liked what she found. With her son's help and encouragement, she filled out an application for the show.

"He thought I'd be a good survivor, able to hold my own," Zanidakis said, adding that her 16-year-old son, Ron, frequently inspires her to try new things. At his urging, she added playing ice hockey to her list of pastimes that includes scuba diving, riding motorcycles and flying helicopters. But in spite of all that, she was ready for a change of pace. Having spent most of her adult life lobster fishing, managing her family's island hotel and raising her son while caring for her ailing mother, the former Monhegan House proprietor needed a new and refreshing challenge.

"I applied for the adventure. The million dollars was secondary," Zanidakis said of the prize money that entices many Survivor wannabes.

So, with her son's blessing, the intrepid sea captain submitted her application and navigated her way through the intense and meticulous process of being chosen a survivor. As grueling as that process was, however, it was nothing compared to the dilemma she faced upon learning that filming for the series was slated for December, the first and most profitable month of Monhegan's lobster fishing season.

"Making the decision to miss Trap Day and the most productive fishing of the year was probably the toughest decision of my life," Zanidakis said of choosing not to set her traps with the rest of Monhegan's fleet, as is customary on the first day of the season.

Instead, she opted to go to the South Pacific, where, perhaps, she set different kinds of traps; ones that would catch her fellow survivors off guard and, ultimately, make her December on Nuku Hiva more profitable than any she's had on Monhegan.

I actually ended up pasting in most of the article, as I found it so interesting. . . sorry for the length. So--is this the first we've heard her son is 16? and that she cares for her ailing mother? Sounds to me like Survivor actually amounts to a VACATION for this girl! And she does verify rumors that she lost 25 pounds on her "adventure." Speaks strongly of her strength and chances of doing well--as long as she can show her strength and value to the tribe without alienating them. . . we know that strong women aren't always taken the right way, and some people resent their capabilities paired with their gender. . .

GT

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Republican Journal article on Z... Java 02-26-02 1
 RE: Republican Journal article on Z... SurvivorBlows 02-26-02 2
   RE: Republican Journal article on Z... George Tirebiter 02-26-02 3
       RE: Republican Journal article on Z... SurvivorBlows 02-27-02 4
           RE: Republican Journal article on Z... George Tirebiter 02-27-02 7
       RE: Republican Journal article on Z... SurvivorBlows 02-27-02 5
 Pre-Survivor articles about Zoe SurvivorBlows 02-27-02 6
   RE: Pre-Survivor articles about Zoe George Tirebiter 02-27-02 8
   RE: Pre-Survivor articles about Zoe Java 02-27-02 9
       RE: Pre-Survivor articles about Zoe TheWanderer 02-27-02 10
           search George Tirebiter 02-27-02 12
       RE: Pre-Survivor articles about Zoe SurvivinDawg 02-27-02 11
           RE: Pre-Survivor articles about Zoe TheWanderer 02-27-02 13
               RE: Pre-Survivor articles about Zoe SurvivorBlows 02-27-02 14
 RE: Republican Journal article on Z... rotu rooter 02-27-02 15
   Welcome, rooter. . . George Tirebiter 02-27-02 16
       RE: Welcome, rooter. . . rotu rooter 02-27-02 19
 Wow! This Zoe Woman is Impressive. Seyz 02-27-02 17
   RE: Wow! This Zoe Woman is Impressi... rotu rooter 02-27-02 18
 RE: Republican Journal article on Z... MakeItStop 02-27-02 20

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Java 519 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

02-26-02, 07:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Java Click to send private message to Java Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Republican Journal article on ZOE"
I think I like this woman! Goe Zoe!

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-26-02, 07:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Republican Journal article on ZOE"
Wow, this show really is a vacation for her...

I love how there is no cable, running water, or electricity, but she has Internet access -- LOL.

Funny thing about the "Monhegan House" hotel (which sounds more like a B&B to me) though -- her CBS bio says she "has previously owned and managed a hotel and restaurant that had been in her family for four generations." And this says "the former proprietor," so clearly she sold it or such.

Ten miles offshore with 60 people in a 1 mile island... damn, no wonder she flies helicopters.

-SB

02-26-02, 11:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail George%20Tirebiter Click to send private message to George%20Tirebiter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Republican Journal article on ZOE"
Webby, you got me thinking about that--and although I found a LOT of sites devoted to the area, many references to the Monhegan House, itself (its owners are listed but no reference is made to how long they've owned it--and it IS a B&B, charging from $65 to $119/night, including breakfast) but details on the history seem hard to come by. There is even a community site listing relevant businesses, places of interest, and numerous newspaper articles--including a page devoted to Monhegan in the news, as see by outsiders--but the whole Survivor connection seems conveniently overlooked. . . Could there be some of that tight-lipped Nor'Eastern stuff at work here?

As for the area, they make several references to how you must "always ensure a bulwark between you and the surf, when enjoying the view" (pretty rough place?), "keep in mind that this is a community, NOT a tourist theme park--do NOT cut through peoples' yards or picnic on private property!" (I'd love one of THOSE signs here!), and in general, it seems geared more toward the fishing/lobster trade than tourism. Mostly reinforces my impressions of Zoe as a strong contender--as well as perhaps seeming "worthy" to win the prize--but of course that doesn't always mean anything. I am most curious to know WHEN she sold the family inn--and why. . . I'm assuming that Zanidakis is her married name, as an extensive listing of family names on the island does not list it--and I'm at a loss as to how to research her maiden name. Anyone in that area who could check into such things?

GT

(who is feeling uncomfortably stalker-like now. . .)

02-27-02, 00:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Republican Journal article on ZOE"
GT, I found the owners pretty easy:

http://www.monheganhouse.com/

..check the botoom of the page "Holden and Sue Nelson, Proprietors"

-SB

02-27-02, 00:49 AM (EST)
7. "RE: Republican Journal article on ZOE"
Yep, that's the first site I saw--but it doesn't say anything about how long they've owned it (like "Serving the best croissants in Monhegan since. . .") I was just curious to know why Zoe would sell a long-time family biz, and if it's related to something that happened because of S4. . .

It does look like some beautiful scenery, but I still get the feeling getting out for ANY reason must've felt like being liberated. And after finding so much to admire about the woman, I hope the first episode doesn't ruin her for me!

GT

02-27-02, 00:27 AM (EST)
5. "RE: Republican Journal article on ZOE"

Some pictures of town and the B&B (it looks like a pretty big B&B)

These are from the site of a couple who is having their wedding there this summer -- they also list the same owners on their site ( http://www.biostat.harvard.edu/~erin/monheganhouseinn.html )

-SB

02-27-02, 00:39 AM (EST)
6. "Pre-Survivor articles about Zoe"
I found the following:

From 1999:

http://www.csmonitor.com/durable/1999/09/01/p16s1.htm

From 1997:

http://www.monhegan.com/utility/elec/chap.htm

From 1996: (webpage has a last modidied date of 12/21/1996)

http://www.things-to-do.com/b&b/getaways/me/more3212.htm

Misc:

omuQnrfzykC:www.mpbc.org/NTTI/Lesson%2520Plans/individualeduc.pdf+%22Monhegan+House%22+Zanidakis+&hl=en" target="_blank">http://www.google.com/search?q=cacheomuQnrfzykC:www.mpbc.org/NTTI/Lesson%2520Plans/individualeduc.pdf+%22Monhegan+House%22+Zanidakis+&hl=en

02-27-02, 00:54 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Pre-Survivor articles about Zoe"
Busy boy!

The first article is my favorite--lots of interesting tidbits about her, and it shows that she still had the inn as of 1999. Best line: Her mother, a stunning beauty who used to beat every man on the island at arm wrestling, always told her daughter that she'd gone to the "school of hard knocks." Like mother, like daughter, says Zoe, laughing as she cracks open a lobster for lunch aboard her boat.

GT

Java 519 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

02-27-02, 10:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Java Click to send private message to Java Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Pre-Survivor articles about Zoe"
Here's that same B&B page updated for 1997, which lists Zoe as the Manager instead of the owner. http://www.bbgetaways.com/monheganhouse/

Perhaps owning an inn and a lobster boat were too much, so she turned over ownership to another family member or sold it outright while still managing it during the high season. GT, you can always use Census records to help in your stalking!

TheWanderer 267 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

02-27-02, 10:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TheWanderer Click to send private message to TheWanderer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Pre-Survivor articles about Zoe"
Ture.. if he "house" has been in the family for "generations" then the old census data may give a clue as to her maiden name. As for ownership, if you go to http://www.domainia.com you can enter an address and see when it was sold.

02-27-02, 11:53 AM (EST)
12. "search"
Good idea, but domania says they don't have info for that state. . . In my county, I can go to our local govt. site and call up extensive records on any address, but I guess it was silly to expect everyone to be so up-to-date.

In light of Java's statement that Zoe was listed as a manager--but not owner--in 1996, it seems pretty safe to say she did not sell because she suddenly became a millionaire--I don't think this avenue is going to pan out as a clue as to how she does in the game.

But the articles still add up to a LOT as far as painting a picture of someone well-suited to the demands of Survivor! Unless she proves to be a real b¡tch, I find myself hoping she does well. Nothing I've seen about the other contestants paints such a positive, sympathetic portrait as these--especially considering so much of this comes before the Survivor spin was put on her.

GT

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings

02-27-02, 11:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Pre-Survivor articles about Zoe"
I haven't read all these articles yet, but is it possible that she sold the house ownership and business in order to buy her boat (that she now is captain of)?

*** Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

TheWanderer 267 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

02-27-02, 01:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TheWanderer Click to send private message to TheWanderer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Pre-Survivor articles about Zoe"
SurvivinDawg... that's a valid point. It appears her main love was lobstering and trying to manage a hotel while you're out in the ocean fishing is a bit difficult.
The biggest clue is the weight loss. If true, then she may be one of the F4.... she doesn't appear to be a "big" person to begin with and therefore, 25 lbs is a significant loss in a 30 - 39 day time period.

02-27-02, 02:29 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Pre-Survivor articles about Zoe"
Couple of points:

- I completely agree that 25lbs lost on someone her size, especially in light of the fact that it sounds like food shouldn't be much of a problem points to her surviving for quite some time, at least to the Merge if not Final 4.

- As far as "Manager" vs "Proprietor" vs "Owner" -- I'm not going to be much stock in that, different articles have different terms for basically the same positions, it's not like the page that lists her as "manager" also lists someone else as "owner."

-SB

rotu rooter 17 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

02-27-02, 03:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail rotu%20rooter Click to send private message to rotu%20rooter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Republican Journal article on ZOE"
Hi, I am a new poster and new to this board. I was an avid watcher of S II and III but didn't know then about the spoilers! I have been to Monhegan Island and have said hello to Zoe on the road many times. She probably inherited the Monhegan House from her mother when she died a few years back. It was Zoe who reopened the dining room and freshened up the place, which her great grandmother had bought in the 1920s, though the family goes farther back than that. The Monhegan House, though a bit rustic (read: charming), is indeed a hotel, not a B&B. Zoe sold the place at the end of the summer 2000 season, a whole year before she applied to be on Survivor. I beleive Zanadakis may be her maiden name; she has a much darker complexion than her mother did, and I think her mother was married briefly to a Greek. She has a wonderful smile and has the best yard sales--great clothes, the young girls tell me. Here's what I found that someone wrote about her: "I remember Zoe from last year's chowder fest... she was dressed as a lobster with lobster mitts, and a funny hat, the kids just loved her. She has an amazing sense of fun and strength, which I'm sure she'll bring to the show."

Zoe seems unusually qualified to do well on Survivor, but could get voted off for that very reason. On the other hand, living on a small island in winter could teach one great alliance and backstabbing skills! What I am wondering is, why helicopter lessons now? How much does your basic helicopter cost?

BTW, did I make it clear I'm cheering for Zoe?

02-27-02, 03:51 PM (EST)
16. "Welcome, rooter. . ."
. . . and thanks for the added insight!

I've already agreed with most of what you said. As for helicopters, I only know that your basic USED 4-6 seat private plane can set you back an easy $160,000 (and upUpUP)--that's why flying clubs are so popular, to spread out the expense among a group, rather than spending all that (AND ins. AND fuel AND maintenance--which is costly and frequent); I would think a helicopter--being harder to come by, perhaps?--would cost even more. I can't remember seeing WHEN Zoe started with the pilot lessons, but that in itself is extremely expensive. . .

We already know the island is isolated, so the practicality of being able to fly is obvious--and as the winner's "million" obviously doesn't go as far as one might expect, that would probably be a very savvy thing for her to get involved in, to maximize the long-term benefit of winning. Sure is a lot more practical-minded than, say. . . your average boob job and new kitchen appliances!

GT

02-27-02, 04:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail rotu%20rooter Click to send private message to rotu%20rooter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Welcome, rooter. . ."
LAST EDITED ON 02-27-02 AT 05:48 PM (EST)

Thanks for your welcome. I have the distinct impression the helicopter lessons have begun since she got back, but will try to dig a little further. (The roar of the helicopter engine must be a pleasant change from the roar of the boat's engine, LOL)

Edited by rotu rooter: Nope, my mistake. I found the quote in the Maine Lincoln County News article that I was thinking of:
"...resumed {italics mine}...activities which include... working toward a helicopter license." It doesn't say when she began those lessons, and come to think of it, it's not too likely she'd be taking lessons now. She'd be far too busy lobstering, especially if she's trying to catch up on the lost time during December.

Slap on the wrist for overzealous newbie.

Seyz 198 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

02-27-02, 04:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Seyz Click to send private message to Seyz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "Wow! This Zoe Woman is Impressive."
I don't know about you guys, but this is really impressive. I know I wouldn't be able to live without water for one day.. seriously. Survivor in terms of work load should be a breeze for her. She's obviously not going to get kicked off because of "laziness" . It seems like she could do with the money too.
Since the article also states she says she does pretty well... could she have made it into the final 2? I find it hard to believe that someone's who's never watched survivor could make it that far along in the game. She really would have to adapt relatively quickly.. but sometimes no alliance is the best way to go because alliances are targeted by the remaining tribe members.

02-27-02, 04:41 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Wow! This Zoe Woman is Impressive."
Yes, I hope she caught up on all the tapes before going!

MakeItStop 1098 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

02-27-02, 05:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MakeItStop Click to send private message to MakeItStop Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Republican Journal article on ZOE"
I read somewhere (sorry I don't have a link and I don't remember where I read this) that Zoe does lobstering during the winter, and worked at the Inn in the summer. The Inn is closed in the winter (I think). So I don't think she sold the Inn to buy the boat. And I don't think she works both of these jobs at the same time.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •