The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Idol Archetypes"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

04-05-07, 09:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Idol Archetypes"
LAST EDITED ON 04-09-07 AT 11:01 AM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 04-09-07 AT 10:55 AM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 04-09-07 AT 09:49 AM (EST)

We've had enough seasons with AI to start to see some archetypal casting in AI contestants. I have taken a stab at organizing them; seasons 4-6 are easier to recall, of course! One type that we all discuss is the diva; I have suggested some other types but am open to suggestions! Some contestants fit in more than one group. What is on the producers' and judges' minds when they select the top 24? Thoughts?

AI Archetypes

Season 6:

Pretty girl: ---------- Haley
Diva: ----------------- Lakisha, Melanie, (Steph)
Young Girl: ----------- Jordin, Steph
Alternative or rocker girl: Gina (Leslie Hunt would have filled this role)
Country girl: --------- none

Interesting guy: --------- Chris S
Handsome guy: ------------ Chris R*
Alternative or rocker guy:- Blake
African American guy: --- Brandon
Young guy: ------------- Sanjaya
Military guy: --------- Phil
Country guy: --------- none
*some posters talk about his looks

Season 5

Pretty girl: -------Kat
Diva: ------------- Mandisa
Young girl: ------- Paris, Lisa
Alternative girl: -- Melissa
Country girl: --- Kellie

Interesting guy: -----Taylor, Elliot
Handsome guy: ------- Ace
African American guy: -- none (Gideon would have been)
Young guy: -----------Kevin Corvais
Rocker guy: --------- Chris Daughtry
Country guy: -------- Bucky Covington
Military guy: ------- none

Season 4

Pretty girl: ------- Jessica
Diva: ------------- Nadia, Vonzell
Young girl: -------- Mikalah, (Lindsey)
Alternative or rocker girl: --none
Country girl: -------- Carrie, Lindsey

Interesting guy: ----- Scott
Handsome guy: -------- Anwar
African American guy: --- Nikko (Anwar)
Young guy: ------------- Anthony
Rocker guy: ----------- Bo, Constantine
Country guy: ----------- none
Military guy: ---------- none

Season 3

Recall there were 8 girls in the top 12; only 4 guys

Pretty girl: ---------- Jasmine
Diva: ---------------- Fantasia, LaToya, JHud
Young girl: ----------- Diana Degarmo
Alternative girl:------ Camile V? Leah?
Country girl: -------- Amy Adams?

Interesting guy: ------- Matthew Rogers
Handsome guy: --------- none
African american guy: ---- George Huff
Young guy: ------------ John Stevens
Alternative or rocker guy: -- Jon Peter Lewis
Country guy: -------------- none
Military guy: ------------- none

Season 2 and Season 1

***Still working on the first two seasons***

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Idol Archetypes nailbone 04-06-07 1
   RE: Idol Archetypes zazzy 04-06-07 2
 RE: Idol Archetypes Magnolia_Rocker 04-09-07 3
   RE: Idol Archetypes zazzy 04-09-07 4
       RE: Idol Archetypes Magnolia_Rocker 04-09-07 5
           RE: Idol Archetypes zazzy 04-09-07 6
               RE: Idol Archetypes priestdi 04-09-07 7
                   RE: Idol Archetypes priestdi 04-09-07 8
                       RE: Idol Archetypes zazzy 04-09-07 12
 RE: Idol Archetypes toddE 04-09-07 9
   RE: Idol Archetypes priestdi 04-09-07 10
   RE: Idol Archetypes priestdi 04-09-07 11
   RE: Idol Archetypes zazzy 04-09-07 13

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-06-07, 09:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Idol Archetypes"
Nicely done!

04-06-07, 11:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Idol Archetypes"
Thanks, Nailbone! This archetype thing stuck in my head when Simon said to Gina a few shows back--something like "Oh, so you are the rocker chick"; later I read on some board that Gina was unhappy being pigeonholed as the rocker chick but felt no choice in a season awash with divas.

Then Haley started making more of her assets in a Kat-like fashion and it dawned on me that she is the resident Pretty Girl.. It doesn't mean that she is the only pretty one; just that is how she is being pigeonholed.

The judges comment on Jordin's age and Sanj's age--more slotting.

Season 3's Amy, Leah and Camille are murky for me. I remember them but I don't recall how they were specifically categorized on the show.

Then there are even more in season 2 I am trying to recall...so that's why I have not finished that season yet.

Magnolia_Rocker 2139 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

04-09-07, 09:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Magnolia_Rocker Click to send private message to Magnolia_Rocker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Idol Archetypes"
Season 4 I would put Lindsey in the Young girl or Country girl category. She was definitely NOT alternative or Rocker. Also on season 4 Anthony was the young guy vote for that year, I believe he was the youngest male of the top 12.

A Tribe Original!

04-09-07, 09:52 AM (EST)
4. "RE: Idol Archetypes"
Thanks for the info on Anthony--I was going from memory and with your prompt I looked it up--Anthony was still a teenager when he started on AI (turned 20 and then got booted)--so I rearranged the guys in that season.

I need to find the list of what Lindsey sang. More later!

Magnolia_Rocker 2139 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

04-09-07, 10:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Magnolia_Rocker Click to send private message to Magnolia_Rocker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Idol Archetypes"
LAST EDITED ON 04-09-07 AT 10:03 AM (EST)

She was first out at final 12. Her List:

"Knock On Wood" (bombed on this and was her swan song)
"I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" (country version)
"I Try To Think About Elvis" (don't remember this song)
"Standing Right Next To Me" (country song featured in "Lets Give Them Something To Talk About")

She was from Louisiana and auditioned in New Orleans with "Standing Right Next To Me".

A Tribe Original!

04-09-07, 10:59 AM (EST)
6. "RE: Idol Archetypes"
Thanks, Magnolia! I updated the chart with your feedback. I remember liking Lindsey but totally blanked on any country feel from her. IRRC, the judges made a lot of Mikalah's age that year but did not bring it up much with Lindsey. Shows how important it is to be memorable, like Simon frequently mentions.

priestdi 378 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

04-09-07, 02:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail priestdi Click to send private message to priestdi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Idol Archetypes"
I'm watching my brain work on this one, and it's funny how I have this need to organize this differently -- primarily by archetypes instead of by seasons.

Maybe I'll try compiling it that way, and see if it helps me think in these terms.

I mean like this:

Rockers:

Nikki (1), Bo (4, country rock), Constantine (4, he's both pop and rock), Chris D (5), Gina (6)

As I said, this is just about me, not the way you're presenting it!

I like the idea.

04-09-07, 02:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail priestdi Click to send private message to priestdi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Idol Archetypes"
ah I forgot Bucky (5, country rock)

04-09-07, 05:05 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Idol Archetypes"
I like the idea of an alternative list to this--go for it! The reason I did it by season is that is how we are delivered the new crop each year--season by season. Once you recategorize we can cross apply it by season.

We will have one or two young ones each season in the top 12 or top 10 (one guy and one girl is ideal for them); we will have a diva; there will be at least one handsome guy,one pretty gir etc. Why did AI have such a truncated Hollywood season this year? After all the criticism about the talent this year it makes me wonder if they pushed too hard for casting the show a certain way instead of focusing solely on talent.

toddE 1433 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

04-09-07, 03:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail toddE Click to send private message to toddE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Idol Archetypes"
DeGarmo was totally a country girl...she sang friggin LeeAnn Rimes.

Ryan Starr was the original Rocker Girl (and still the best)

Carmen Rasmussen was a young girl.

Josh Gracin was country and military.

Kimberly Caldwell was a pretty girl.

Kimberly Locke was a diva.

I could add the category of gay guy, but that would probably anger some posters, so just imagine them. I can't place one for the season 4 or 5, though.

"Hearthrob" might be a better classification than handsome guy.

Borrowing from ANTM, token "Plus Size" is a valid category,but can't be gender-specified.

And how would we classify the original AI, Kelly Clarkson.

04-09-07, 03:24 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Idol Archetypes"
ah heartthrob. I like that!

Justin (1), Clay (2), Jon Peter Lewis??? (3), Constantine (4), Ace (5), Chris R (6)

I'm not sure Chris is a heartthrob though ...

04-09-07, 03:28 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Idol Archetypes"

Just saw your musing on Kelly.

Maybe -- down to earth, or real people? genuine?

the most obvious, with lots of runners-up:

Kelly (1), George (3), Melinda (6)

04-09-07, 05:07 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Idol Archetypes"
What is ANTM? Thanks for the season 1 and 2 people--keep it up--I have not had time to research them yet!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •