The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Could AI learn from Grease?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-30-07, 04:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Could AI learn from Grease?"
I really liked the fact that there was a bottom two and the judges got to 'save' somebody. This avoids horrible travesties early in the competition but can go away altogether in the final phases. Does anyone else think that this would be a good idea or is the bonehead vote-off good for ratings?

"It cannot be emphasized too clearly and too often that this nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religion, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very reason, peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here.” Patrick Henry

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Could AI learn from Grease? Fishercat 03-30-07 1
   RE: Could AI learn from Grease? PagongRatEater 03-30-07 2
       RE: Could AI learn from Grease? Snidget 03-30-07 4
       RE: Could AI learn from Grease? Fishercat 03-31-07 12
 RE: Could AI learn from Grease? agman 03-30-07 3
   RE: Could AI learn from Grease? bob_chester 03-31-07 5
 RE: Could AI learn from Grease? bullzeye 03-31-07 6
   RE: Could AI learn from Grease? Snidget 03-31-07 7
   RE: Could AI learn from Grease? bob_chester 03-31-07 8
       RE: Could AI learn from Grease? Snidget 03-31-07 9
           RE: Could AI learn from Grease? bob_chester 03-31-07 10
               RE: Could AI learn from Grease? agman 03-31-07 11
               RE: Could AI learn from Grease? Fishercat 03-31-07 13
                   RE: Could AI learn from Grease? bob_chester 04-01-07 17
 RE: Could AI learn from Grease? AshLanie 04-01-07 14
   RE: Could AI learn from Grease? tamarama 04-01-07 15
       RE: Could AI learn from Grease? agman 04-01-07 16

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Fishercat 4168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

03-30-07, 05:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fishercat Click to send private message to Fishercat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Could AI learn from Grease?"
I hate the idea that I could vote enough to keep my contestant out of the Bottom 2, but Druggie, Dawg, and TPTB could send my guy/girl home. It subverts the point of American Idol.

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings

03-30-07, 07:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Could AI learn from Grease?"
Well only the bottom 2 would be eligible so if there was ANY significant voting support for your contestant they could stay out of the bottom 2. OTOH, last week when Sanjaya obviously should have been sent home over Stephanie or in previous season when far more talented people got sent home early because their supporters thought that they were 'safe'. The judges could have made a choice between the bottom two and make sure than random voting trends that had nothing to do with talent or the performances got corrected.

This would go away after you got to the top 5 or 6, but there is a lot of random stuff that happens in early rounds that could be fixed with this change.

"It cannot be emphasized too clearly and too often that this nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religion, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very reason, peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here.” Patrick Henry

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

03-30-07, 08:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Could AI learn from Grease?"
The producers of AI do that on another show they do. So You Think You Can Dance.

America votes who is the bottom two and then they have one last brief performance to help convince the judges to save them.

So it isn't as if the producers haven't had this thought. I just think that they may fear changing the formula after they've done it the way they have for so many seasons.

03-31-07, 10:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fishercat Click to send private message to Fishercat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Could AI learn from Grease?"
First off, it would have been Timberfake sent home over Stephanie in Week, Sanjaya wasn't Bottom Two. And they wouldn't send home Timberfake for her. No way.

However, let's have some fun with that, let's assume that

A) Voting results and ANNOUNCED F2 results are legitimate. I don't doubt the loser is legit, but the F2 can be for drama. I don't like Chris R., but there was no indication anywhere that he was Bottom Two, neither prior voting results or DI.

B) That your plan was in place.

Now, let's apply that to prior seasons (FWIW, it would be Sanjaya/Stephanie/Chris S. home right now if it applied to AI6 and Brandon Rogers got the usual bump and he stayed out of danger in Week 10). I doubt anyone who likes the show would have a less entertaining singer who never performed to his potential in Rogers over Sanajaya. Haley's still there (since Simon said he thought Chris would go home and everyone in the organization wanted the uncontrollable out).

Let's apply it to season five in any possible scenario. I will do a LOT of supposition in saying who would go home, based on who the producers, not the judges really want.

F24: No B2 Results

F20: Kevin Covais and Kinnik Sky were Bottom Three, but not sent home. At this point, I believe David Radford (eliminated this episode) and Brenna Gethers (same) had VFTW support, so TPTB would want to eliminate both. I think Kinnik would have stayed in, as Heather had shown nothing. I think the judges would have replaced Kevin Covais with Jose "Sway" Penala both for potential ability and the fact that Covais was a dangerous, Sanjaya-esque teenage keeper

F16: No Bottom Three was said, however, for argument's sake, let's say that Sway is sent home instead of Will Makar. Gedeon was BETTER than Will, but Kevin Covais took a good chunk of Will's market: teens.

----------------------------

F12: This is where it begins to come into play, if not in this round. OK, let's say that Will Makar goes in the Bottom Three instead of Ace. Let's say they keep the same Bottom Two, and I think the judges thought Lisa Tucker had more left in the tank than Melissa.

F11: With Bucky in the Bottom Two with Will (replacing Kevin), they'd finally put Will out of his misery to keep him off the tour and to keep Bucky fans appeased, no problem there.

F10: At this point, Lisa has survived a B2 and a B3, and has Katharine McPhee in her only B2 appearance of the season until the Daughtry-elimination, which I figure is the week this format goes away. Tucker's done.

F9: Mandisa and Elliot in the Bottom Two. VERY interesting problem here. Elliot got some very good judge praise, Mandisa got some very good judge praise. However, I want some drama. Elliot has had a lack of super fan support for some time. In fact, Mandisa had out-Dialidol'd Elliot over most of the time there. Let's say, for fun, they send Elliot home. His look is not an Idol-look, they love the divas on the show, and country week isn't indicative of her true voice

F8: Bucky went home, with Ace and the now gone Elliot in the Bottom Three. However, with Mandisa staying, that may put her there. I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the usual Post-B2 vote bump and send Bucky home over Ace.

F7: We had Chris and Ace in the Bottom Two, however, after two weeks of a male going home, and with Mandisa still in the competition, I have to figure she'd be in the Bottom Two over Chris this week, since Paris Bennett was DI's Bottom Two and she had an edge over Mandisa. After the sing-off between the two, they let Ace stay and send Mandisa home. AI hates fat chicks anyway.

F6: This was a surprise elimination with the previously unscathed Kellie Pickler going home with Bennett in the Bottom Two. I think Ace's Bottom Two from the prior week would propel him and the same Bottom Two is kept. Simon knows the popularity of Kellie, and in spite of her being a VFTW pick, he would keep her over Paris.

F5 Elim: Paris and Elliot were Bottom Two: But they are both home. So I think with Katharine and Chris in the Top 2 with Taylor having great vote totals, Ace and Kellie would be in the Bottom Two. They'll send Ace home over Kellie.

I think this is where it ends, with the finals going something like: Kellie, Katharine (if he was Bottom Two the week before, his fans give the necessary gas), Chris, and Taylor still wins
-----------------
So, this is how it turns out using KNOWN results. Who knows how it would look with F24 and F16 B3 results)

F24 Elim: Patrick Hall, Stevie Scott, Becky O'Donohue, Bobby Bennett

F20 Elim: Heather Cox, David Radford, Kevin Covais, Brenna Gethers.

F16 Elim: Jose "Sway" Penala, Ayla Brown, Kinnik Sky, Gedeon McKinney

F12 Elim: Melissa McGhee

F11 Elim: Will Makar

F10 Elim: Lisa Tucker

F9 Elim: Elliot Yamin

F8 Elim: Bucky Covington

F7 Elim: Mandisa

F6 Elim: Paris Bennett

F5 Elim: Ace Young

F4 Elim: Kellie Pickler

F3 Elim: Katharine McPhee/Chris Daughtry

F2 Elim: Katharine McPhee/Chris Daughtry

Winner: Taylor Hicks.

My question is: does this come out with a better season? Honestly, I don't think so. I think the voters got it largely right last season. We wouldn't have gotten Chicken Little's "Part Time Lover". We would have missed several of Elliot's great performances ("A Song For You" is the one that stand outs, Pauler cried). Ace and Kellie as a result, get extra weeks that they probably shouldn't have, and Chris Daughtry would likely be pushed into Idol's paws as their little toy rather than having some freedom. Additionally, if I even go beyond the announced results: Bucky was in Dialidol's Bottom Two in the F24. Maybe he'd have gone home with Bobby and the rammifications could be huge. Pickler's country market is freed up even more...

Now, I'm not saying that's how it would go down. Maybe the judges' infinite wisdom would have realized that Lisa Tucker would bring it to the next level after F10 and we missed that, or that Mandisa did simply have an off-week and she'd run for the finals. But I can't see that being a better season. Even this season, the only press the show is getting now is about Sanjaya, and they'd take him out at the F12 cutoff for the far less interesting Sundance Head.

I just think this would seriously lose voter interest, make the skeptics even more skeptical, and may even result in a worse season on the whole.

agman 11166 desperate attention whore postings

03-30-07, 07:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail agman Click to send private message to agman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Could AI learn from Grease?"
LAST EDITED ON 03-30-07 AT 07:47 PM (EST)

Pagong, In light of the debates over who has been voted off and who stays this season, that is an interesting twist. IMHO though, I think half the fun of watching American Idol is seeing just what is happening this year on the show: No one is really safe. Believe me, I have very strong opinions over who should stay and who shouldn't, but I do think that this is all part of the American Idol experience and I think it might weaken the show!!!! It's fun to debate with people over the results of each week's shows. To me, it just wouldn't be the same!

Idol rocks

bob_chester 243 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

03-31-07, 10:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bob_chester Click to send private message to bob_chester Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Could AI learn from Grease?"
I agree agman. Lets keep it the way it is. Let the voters decide.

bullzeye 5030 desperate attention whore postings

03-31-07, 04:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bullzeye Click to send private message to bullzeye Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Could AI learn from Grease?"
Well - let me be the first voice of dissent from the masses - I agree with PRE - I think adopting the Grease formula would add a much needed dynamic to this competition. As many keep stating - "This is a singing/performance contest, not a popularity contest", and yet we are seeing many more talented contestents being sent home early.

While I am in agreement that Sanjaya is "in on the joke" and playing to it, the fact remains, it is a joke, plain and simple. And quite frankly - this season is fast becoming the same.

A birthday present from Tribe

03-31-07, 04:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Could AI learn from Grease?"
LAST EDITED ON 03-31-07 AT 04:22 PM (EST)

And previous seasons when Jasmine, Kevin Corvis, or Anthony Federov surived week after week of lousy performance were not jokes?

I don't see this season as significantly worse that other seasons when someone who really didn't need to be there was kept too many weeks in a row usually by the tween voters.

*shrug*

I also don't quite get the "he is going to win" when he clearly is not getting the most votes every week and as soon as the field narrows down a bit the tween/VFTW vote will be drowned out, again.

Just my opinion.

ETA: Even in shows where America picks the bottom two or three and the judges choose there are those that stay in far too long because they are way too popular to be voted out early.

03-31-07, 08:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bob_chester Click to send private message to bob_chester Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Could AI learn from Grease?"
LAST EDITED ON 03-31-07 AT 08:38 PM (EST)

If you ask my teenage daughter and her friends they don't think Sanjaya is a Joke. Her age group is the demographic buys the most of the music (Now for her Ipod.) They buy a lot of crap and have made stars out lesser talents before. She spends 2 hours voting for him and so do her friends.

AI is based on viewers voting after the final 24. The judges put him in the final 24, if he did not belong there that is where he should hve been pulled by the Judges and somebody better put in. That is where the judges picks end. Why can't the judges find 24 good people for the 24 after 100,000 people show up? Maybe the judges aint so good. Why should they over rule what the viewers want? Sort of detroys the premise of the show.

ALso Sanjaya will be gone before the final 5 so why worry about it.

03-31-07, 09:10 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Could AI learn from Grease?"
IMO everyone that makes it to the top 24 is a good singer at least some of the time.

Being able to sing doesn't always translate to being able to do spectacular live performances under pressure with 30 million people watching. A lot of times hearing them in the practice with the mentor the song sounded pretty good even if it svcked big time live on stage.

There was a story on Juliard on the radio awhile ago where they have a class that is specifically to train people to be able to perform even when the nerves and excitement or distractions arise.

"I know that there are people who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that!" Tom Lehrer

03-31-07, 09:49 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Could AI learn from Grease?"
LAST EDITED ON 03-31-07 AT 09:56 PM (EST)

I like the idea that we decide the winner not the Judges. But I guess that is why the show has only produced 2 winners that are big stars so far, Carrie and Kelly. I still like the way it is now. To each his own I guess but the Idol shows is this way in many countries and I don't see them changing it. It is a winning formula around the world.

03-31-07, 10:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail agman Click to send private message to agman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Could AI learn from Grease?"
>LAST EDITED ON 03-31-07
>AT 09:56 PM (EST)

>
>
>
> I like the idea that
>we decide the winner not
>the Judges. But I guess
>that is why the show
>has only produced 2 winners
>that are big stars so
>far, Carrie and Kelly.
>I still like the way
>it is now. To each
>his own I guess but
>the Idol shows is this
>way in many countries and
>I don't see them changing
>it. It is a winning
>formula around the world.

To even go further, I firmly believe that the contestants who can sing AND preform, will make it with or without winning Idol. The rest is all for show. ( and great entertainment)

A Snidget Original

03-31-07, 11:12 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Could AI learn from Grease?"
Let's be fair though: the only season in which the voting public REALLY blew it so far was Season Five, in terms of sales.

No one from Season Three was going to sell well. Boomie wasn't even close to the top and no system would get her up there. Everyone else (Diana, Jasmine, Latoya, John, George) hasn't sold well at all. Additionally, Hudson has made it as an actress and not a singer.

Diana has had some limited success (200k albums sold), and Jasmine had success in her main voting market (Hawaii/SE Asia). Additionally, Fantasia has sold around two million copies of her debut album, was key in a highly publicized Broadway feature, had a #1 single with two more at #1 on adult R&B. Her second album did fail, but Idol got what they wanted: one big album under their control.

Season Two:
Gracin had solid sales and is a big country artist, not huge, but good. Three Top 5 singles and an album that sold 1/3 of a million.

Locke hasn't had a lot of mainstream success, but she hit two #1 Christmas singles on the Adult Contemporary chart with four others in the Top 20 in the AC charts.

Ruben v. Clay is the real thing. The kicker is, that this was a dead heat. Ruben BARELY won, so I'm not going to blame the audience for that. It's like blaming America for voting President Bush being voted in, half the people didn't want it (if you don't like the President). Clay has definitely been more successful, but let's not kill Ruben on this. He chose a bad manager, but he still had four Top 20 singles, two more in the Top 50 on the R&B Charts. He had two Top 10 overall singles with a #1 overall on the Urban AC chart (I didn't even know that chart existed. Heh). His three albums have sold 2.5 mil overall, with his first one being platinum

Clay did turn out a lot better with about 7+ million overall albums sold and several tours, huge singles, and so on. But the voting was so close and America got the Top 2 right.

04-01-07, 06:09 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Could AI learn from Grease?"
That is a lot of information Fishercat.

AshLanie 895 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

04-01-07, 04:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AshLanie Click to send private message to AshLanie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Could AI learn from Grease?"
LAST EDITED ON 04-01-07 AT 04:02 AM (EST)

>I really liked the fact that
>there was a bottom two
>and the judges got to
>'save' somebody. This avoids
>horrible travesties early in the
>competition but can go away
>altogether in the final phases.
> Does anyone else think
>that this would be a
>good idea or is the
>bonehead vote-off good for ratings?
>
>

Nods. I like how Grease eliminates the contestants....the bottom ones have a sing off and the judges decide who stays and who goes.

The major difference in these shows is Grease, imho, is a tad more sophisticated in its format and judging whereas AI is a circus from its preseason shows til the finale.

I also watched Nashville Star and felt that the contestants and judges were above the circus atmosphere that AI has.

Might be that the two latter shows had/have a muturer audience whereas AI has an audience of preteenm to adults.

tamarama 1785 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

04-01-07, 11:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tamarama Click to send private message to tamarama Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Could AI learn from Grease?"
>>circus atmosphere that AI has<<

Agree with that, and I wish for at least 1 new judge because of it. See if Randy can raise his game with a real judge next to him, and if not, replace him too. But *sigh* that's not the topic at hand (sorry)...

I think there's another major difference between AI and Grease or SYTYCD...

The level of talent and skill needed to launch/maintain a career as a professional dancer or a Broadway performer is in a different universe from that required to be a pop singer. The judges have more power on those two shows because they CAN'T let it be a contest of popularity alone, or the winner would drown in the real world of dance or musical theater.

Plus, in the case of Grease, the producers need to sell tickets to the actual production. Broadway tickets are much more expensive than pop CDs, and you have to go to New York to use them (the tickets, I mean - that sounded weird). How many tweener-power-voters are going to convince mommy & daddy to take them to New York to see their favorite? And there's got to be a huge segment of the theater-going population that doesn't know or care about the tv show...they'll just be ticked off if they spend big bucks to see Grease & it sucks because some boy was cuter than some other boy. So more producer involvement was a huge, necessary safety feature.

OTOH, to be a pop singer, true vocal ability is often last on the list. (Britney? Madonna? Jessica?) The one thing you need to be a pop singer is record sales - however you get them. Some actually do sell records by being good singers, but more do it by being popular or having a gimmick (or big hooters).

The tweeners who vote for people like Sanjaya can afford to buy a CD when it's all over. And they're even MORE likely to buy tickets to the concert than the older crowd. Jaded old hags like me won't pay to see 10 people in concert when I only care for 1 or 2 of them. (yet I couldn't wait for the SYTYCD concert.)

Despite what Simon always sez, not only is AI a popularity contest, all of pop music is a popularity contest. (hmmm, where does the term 'pop' music come from?) Yes, there are plenty of us who truly want to hear good singers. But we're not the only ones voting. We're not even the ones most likely to buy the CDs when this is all over - and THAT is Simon's biggest concern.

Simon's probably already gleefully imagining future Sanjaya sales...despite his scowl on the show.

04-01-07, 12:42 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Could AI learn from Grease?"

>Despite what Simon always sez, not
>only is AI a popularity
>contest, all of pop music
>is a popularity contest. (hmmm,
>where does the term 'pop'
>music come from?) Yes,
>there are plenty of us
>who truly want to hear
>good singers. But we're
>not the only ones voting.
>We're not even the ones

I certainly agree with that. I've always thought classically trained(Theater type) singers were much more talented than the average pop singer. But then I tend to like that kind of music so does that make me too partial? IMHO you hit the nail on the head.

A Snidget Original

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •