The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Contestants need advice "
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

jbug 17146 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-19-07, 03:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Contestants need advice "
When the judges constantly tell the contestants that they made the wrong song choice, why don't they change that? Why doesn't someone (even if not the judges) listen in on the practice sessions and tell them BEFORE they spend all week at rehersal and then go live? Surely someone can tell them whether or not the song is a good choice for their voice or not.
It's not like personally choosing a song is the most important part of a singer's career. Sure some do make their own choices; but also some have others do that for them.

Also, some of the contestants need wardrobe advice. However, in this case, the judges are definately NOT the ones to give this advice!
The guys generally don't have a problem. Jeans or slacks & a shirt - who really sees a difference in what they wear - unless of course it is really off the wall!
But the ladies - there are so many choices as to what to wear and what looks good. What is flattering to one shape/size is not always good for another.
I thought the girl who wore the orange top and skirt looked nice - that outfit (regardless of the bright color) helped her size. The dress she wore the following week (that Simon liked) did not compliment her figure.
The young girl (17 yrs? I think), looked really hippy (& I don't mean that in a 70's sort of way) in the white top she worn on the last results show.
Some of the "skinny" girls don't look very good in what they choose to wear either.
Where do they get these clothes?
Why doesn't someone help them?

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Contestants need advice geekboy 03-19-07 1
 RE: Contestants need advice agman 03-19-07 2
   RE: Contestants need advice tamarama 03-19-07 3
 RE: Contestants need advice zazzy 03-20-07 4
 RE: Contestants need advice Delta Darling 03-28-07 5

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

03-19-07, 03:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Contestants need advice "
Now, i don't know it for a fact, but i would assume that for a competition at this level the contestants have complete control over the song choice (given that it is an approved/released song).

I also believe that the contestants always have the challenge of "This is one of my favorite songs, i really want to sing it on AI". Brandon fell due to this. He sang 'favorites', as opposed to choosing songs that showcased his voice. A lot of contestants in the past have struggled with this.

I think one of the best contestants ever in terms of song choice was Clay Aiken, but i'm sure some would disagree with that. Chris Sligh and Melinda appear to be doing very well with song choice this week (I'm conveniently ignoring "Endless Love")

geekboy

I love puppies! S. Cowell

agman 11166 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-19-07, 05:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail agman Click to send private message to agman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Contestants need advice "
LAST EDITED ON 03-19-07 AT 05:09 PM (EST)

I understand your point. IT would sure make the show better, and not quite as embarrassing for some of the contestants. IMO the reason they don't give some of that advice early is that they really want to see who the potential pros are who understand their limits and abilities. I agree, singers don't choose all their songs, but I think it's important that they know how. I think they put as much pressure on these kids as possible to find out who can take it, and who will crumble. I believe that's why they do theme nights. They want to see who can take a potentially difficult theme and somehow through song choice or vocal ability, demonstrate that they can handle it.
That's my long-winded opinion. I do, however, think they need to help Sanjaya come up with A hairstyle that works!!!!! See ya

tamarama 1785 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

03-19-07, 10:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tamarama Click to send private message to tamarama Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Contestants need advice "
What Agman said.

Even though they'll all have advisors & stylists (eventually if not already) they need to show that they can make those decisions themselves as well.

Otherwise, it's one of those Svengali/Trilby situations - the singer is just the puppet of an agent, manager or producer.
Those careers never last - they need their own identity/ideas or they're just puppets.

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

03-20-07, 09:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Contestants need advice "
Not all contestants have musical training--it seems some just have good pipes and then get beaten up once they hit the top 24.

If you look at the Master Class Lady thread and read her reviews of the singers' techniques, she mentions that Sanjaya does not even have the right form as he sings vowells--so I am guessing that Sanjaya has less vocal training than other contestants. She also talks about head voice and chest voice with different contestants.

In seasons past, contestants and judges have referred to Birdie, the vocal coach, who helps the contestants. I wonder if some get more help than others, though. I can't recall who it was but someone from this season or last who went to Hollywood rounds said their mistake was not hiring a vocal coach between auditions and Hollywood. I got the impression that some contestants confer via phone with their own outside vocal coach as they progress through the top 24 into the top 12 and beyond--getting another opinion on song choice.

Style--guess what, the stylists are already at work. Melinda is in a backstage interview--see the which guy thinks he should win thread for the link--and talks about being in dresses and spanx hose and high heels (she does not like dresses). Didn't she talk that with Ryan about dresses and heels as well?

I read on another board that Sanjaya's various hair styles was all about the stylists, not his preference. Also read that the stylists would start relaxing Chris's curls gradually each week and Sundance's chin hair was trimmed by a stylist for his last performance (maybe they were trying to ease him out of it gradually?) Look at the difference in Elliot last year from the Hollywood rounds to the F3 show. Stylists got both Elliot and Chris to get rid of their weird facial hair last year.

Whether the idols are listening to the stylists or whether the stylists have good taste...is another debate. Remember Chris's sunglasses on Elvis night last year or Taylor's tshirt and no collar leather jacket the night he sang Trouble? Some pushes from the stylists are just off base imo.

Delta Darling 10 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

03-28-07, 01:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Delta%20Darling Click to send private message to Delta%20Darling Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Contestants need advice "
LAST EDITED ON 03-28-07 AT 01:52 PM (EST)

OMG I agree so much. Where are the "Experts" when it Comes to selecting a song? Where are the Fashion Divas when they pick fashions from hell for the contestants?

No one is paying attention to what the Judges keep saying about song selection except maybe Jordin.and Gina

Personally its a non issue that has develped into an issue.

These are persons new to the business of trying to become an Idol. Is there no help back there behind the curtains?

Simon is not a fashion affectionado Pulezzzzz. Loves the boots on anything that has two legs and walks upright
Same with Randy. Its a Guy thing? Who knows?
I do know the fashion is wrong with a few exceptions.

There seems to be the weight problem to get around. Yes then why get florescent colors and boots to LaKesha? Its down right stupid looking.

Melinda has a good singing voice and the whole effect of her voice was lost in that amazingly horrible dress that shined and leggings? OMG Lets go to some thrift store and buy something for them. Couldn't be any worse then what is being made by the Team. Donald Trump would Fire them all on live TV in a nano second.

Poor choices in songs? If you were on this show wouldn't you go find someone who knows what sounds best for your voice ? These guys just pick something they like and thats it. WHY LISTEN TO THE JUDGES? WwHAT DO THEY kNOW? oH CRAP IT MAKES ME ANGRY

Put your hair up in a stupid Pony Mohawk and sing something so terrible it makes my cat throw up. Its alright He will get thru courtesy of a website named votefortheworst.com. They have power called to vote for the twit up to now and he will still be standing after tonite

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •