The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"AI ratings and vote totals"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

03-10-07, 05:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"AI ratings and vote totals"
Has AI jumped the shark? Ratings wise it is still doing well but are the votes happening at the levels they were in year's past? Let's track the ratings for the 2 shows a week and also when Ryan tells us how many votes came in on results night. All I remember at the moment was 63+ million votes for the finale.

At the very least we will have a reference thread for next year.

I'll see what I can find for ratings info so far.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 03-10-07 1
 RE: AI ratings and vote totals HocusPocus 03-10-07 2
 RE: AI ratings and vote totals tamarama 03-10-07 3
   RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 03-11-07 7
 RE: AI ratings and vote totals EMTBGRL 03-10-07 4
 RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 03-11-07 5
 RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 03-11-07 6
 RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 03-11-07 8
   RE: AI ratings and vote totals Snidget 03-11-07 9
       RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 03-11-07 10
 RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 03-14-07 11
 RE: AI ratings and vote totals geekboy 03-14-07 12
   RE: AI ratings and vote totals Snidget 03-14-07 13
       RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 03-14-07 15
           RE: AI ratings and vote totals TxMom2011 03-15-07 21
   RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 03-14-07 14
   RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 03-14-07 19
 RE: AI ratings and vote totals priestdi 03-14-07 16
   RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 03-14-07 17
 Ratings 2/26-3/4-From TV Guide Snidget 03-14-07 18
 RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 03-15-07 20
   RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 03-16-07 24
 RE: AI ratings and vote totals tamarama 03-15-07 22
   RE: AI ratings and vote totals Magnolia_Rocker 03-15-07 23
 RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 03-19-07 25
 RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 03-19-07 26
 RE: AI ratings and vote totals jbug 03-19-07 27
   RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 03-19-07 28
       RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 03-19-07 29
           RE: AI ratings and vote totals priestdi 03-19-07 30
 RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 03-22-07 31
 RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 03-26-07 32
   RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 03-26-07 33
 RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 04-02-07 34
 RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 04-02-07 35
   RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 04-02-07 36
   RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 04-09-07 38
 RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 04-05-07 37
   RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 04-10-07 39
 January 2005 article zazzy 04-10-07 40
 RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 04-12-07 41
 RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 04-14-07 42
 But how does 6 compare with 3 and 4... priestdi 04-14-07 43
 RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 04-20-07 44
 RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 04-23-07 45
 RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 04-23-07 46
 RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 04-30-07 47
 RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 04-30-07 48
   RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 04-30-07 49
       RE: AI ratings and vote totals YankeeDixieDoodle 04-30-07 50
           RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 04-30-07 51
 RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 05-05-07 52
   RE: AI ratings and vote totals zazzy 05-11-07 53

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

03-10-07, 05:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
I had the 2/22/07 show on dvr--Ryan said 'almost 32 million votes".

HocusPocus 28 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

03-10-07, 05:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HocusPocus Click to send private message to HocusPocus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"

No way has this show jumped the shark. The amount of web searches for any Idol is off the charts.

Fun Reality TV Games: http://www.Last2Left.com>

tamarama 1785 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

03-10-07, 06:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tamarama Click to send private message to tamarama Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
Weekly number of votes always increases hugely as the season moves along.

There are many people who don't even watch - much less vote - before the top 12. And some don't vote until much later when they've decided on a favorite.

03-11-07, 09:52 AM (EST)
7. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
I am looking for vote totals from last year so we can compare the votes this year to last year's votes--just like the ratings post below.

EMTBGRL 2514 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

03-10-07, 10:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail EMTBGRL Click to send private message to EMTBGRL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
FWIW: It's jumped the shark for me.

I watched all the other seasons. This year? I haven't watched it once, or cared to. Why? - I'm not sure. Maybe it's because the more the show and media focuses on the antics of the judges, especially Paula Abdul, and less on the talent of the competitors, the less I cared about AI. Maybe the commentary of the judges has gotten LAME and contrived. There's only so much BS I can listen to, or repetitive garbage coming out of their predictable mouths that I think my time would be better spent doing ANYTHING else.

In fact, if I am around a TV when I know AI is on? I haven't brought myself to flip it on.

The only way I know anything about this season? is reading this thread. That's it. If that's any indicator of "jumping the shark" from this former AI fan.

I wonder how many more people feel this way?

Next season? If things continue the way they are? I probably won't even care enough to check this thread.

Then AI won't have just jumped the shark, it will have been eaten by it.

03-11-07, 09:40 AM (EST)
5. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"

Here's what Ryan said to date for Season 6 --comparing these numbers to last year's is still hard --still need to dig up last year's numbers--if anyone has any tapes or recaps from last year please post:

2/22/07: Top 24---> 20: "almost 32 million"

3/1/07: Top 20---> 16: "over 32 million"

3/8/07: Top 16---> 12: "37 million" (anyone have a tape of the show--how did he say it?)

2006--what I have found so far:

On 5/17/06: Before introducing the week's total, Ryan said..."after our biggest season ever, after 16 weeks of voting, and 515 million votes (meaning for the whole the season so far) tonight we will announce the final two"

5/17/06: for the F3 --> F2 results week: "over 50 million votes came in"

5/23/06: And at the finale, Ryan said: "let me just tell you that the amount of votes last night was astounding--an incredible 63.4 million votes came in"

03-11-07, 09:51 AM (EST)
6. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
LAST EDITED ON 03-11-07 AT 09:54 AM (EST)

Ratings are down a little bit for this past week versus year ago for the Tuesday and Wednesday night performances--looking at ratings as well as share of adults aged 18-49:

Tues Mar 6(top 8 guys): 27.8 M viewers; 29 share of adults 18-49
Year ago(top 8 girls): 28.5 M viewers; 31 share of adults 18-49

Wed Mar 7(top 8 girls): 28.5 M viewers; 30 share of adults 18-49
Year ago (top 8 guys): 30.3 M viewers; 32 share of adults 18-49

Thu Mar 8(top 16->12): 27.4 M viewers; 28 share of adults 18-49
Year ago: 27.1 M viewers; 28 share of adults 18-49

Source: MJ's Big Blog; her source: TVWeek.com

I left the ratings comparison Tues this year versus Tues last year, etc., but the order was different with girls singing first last year.

If you look at the guys this year versus guys last yearfor the same week, the drop is larger: 27.8 million viewers this year versus 30.3 million viewers last year while the girls' comparison is flat (28.5M each year).

Has the shark started its ascent? (just poking fun at AI--of course it is still a huge, top rated show).

03-11-07, 12:31 PM (EST)
8. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
LAST EDITED ON 03-11-07 AT 12:33 PM (EST)

Here is a link to a cool chart that graphs the year to date ratings for season 6 versus season 5:

ETA: the link did not show up so here it is with spaces:

http:// thumbsnap.com/v/ 70m7P6PW .jpg

delete the big spaces and see if that works.

Thanks to neonorange who posted this link at MJ's Big Blog.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-11-07, 04:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
The link works this way

"I know that there are people who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that!" Tom Lehrer

03-11-07, 05:03 PM (EST)
10. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
Thank you, Snidget!

03-14-07, 12:17 PM (EST)
11. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
And the media turns on the show:

"American Idol has begun its decline"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17351018

"Seven weeks into the sixth season of “American Idol,” one thing is very clear: The phenomenon is over. This is the beginning of the series’ end; the show has peaked. At least it was fun while it lasted."

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings

03-14-07, 01:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
LAST EDITED ON 03-14-07 AT 01:40 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 03-14-07 AT 01:17 PM (EST)

This whole 'jumping the shark' talk lately is silly. No, i do not think it is anywhere close to jumping the shark.

Couple things to back up my point:

* The largest search request on the Internet
* The only show on so far that the other channels fear and program around
* The show has grown each season, now in its 6th. This doesn't happen

So the caliber of contestants is "lower" this season. That was bound to happen at some point. But jumping the shark? No. That will not happen until the ratings take a serious dive. That has NOT happened yet, and i doubt it will happen this season, or next, or next...

And one final note. Please think back to seasons past. Yes, there were contestants with more God-given talent like Melinda...but the one aspect of AI that i love seeing the most is watching one contestant, or more, GROW while on the show. I have a suspicion that this season that may be Gina.

Some examples from seasons past. I'm sure there are more i'm not recalling:

* Kelly Clarkson (who grew leaps and bounds)
* Clay Aiken
* Vonzell Soloman
* George Huff
* Jon Peter Lewis

All of these were fascinating to watch grow and come into their own. For me, this is the fun part of AI.

geekboy

I love puppies! S. Cowell

03-14-07, 01:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
LAST EDITED ON 03-14-07 AT 01:35 PM (EST)

Additionally this season, like last season seems to have more than its fair share of average singers. But I don't know that any season ever had 12 completely totally amazing singers. Usually it is a couple of really amazing singers, the most being average (with average set at average for people who can actually sing) and a couple of people you can't imagine how they got there.

I want to know when this season where everyone in the top 12 or even top 24 was so totally amazing they should all have won was. You know the one that each season is compared to. I didn't watch season 1, but I know based on what people say the finalists at the top 10-12 stage were not each and every one completely amazing.

*shrug*

These season like last season I seem to need my mute button a lot less than I did for seasons 2 and 3.

*shrug*

One problem is I think it is natural and human to compare the contestants at the begining of the season to how the last few people were at the end of the season previous.

So you tend to compare the best of the best to the whole bunch and they aren't every last one of them going to be better than the best of last season.

AI is getting to the point where there just cannot be continued growth in numbers of people watching, etc.

That it still is pretty much #1 on television it kinda makes the "it's over it was fun while it lasted" talk seem a bit odd.

Talk to me when it drops out of the top 10 for the week on a regular basis.

Didn't they say Survivor "was fun while it lasted it is over" at least 6 or more seasons ago?

"I know that there are people who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that!" Tom Lehrer

03-14-07, 02:42 PM (EST)
15. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
Agree that there are always lesser singers in the top twelve. We got spoiled last year with several good people who were entertaining and could bring it with singing as well. And that was after enjoying Bo the season before (and Constantine, and Carrie, and...). This season seems like a season 3, one that had me watching only some of the time.

And I still watch Survivor...except the last three weeks which are stuck in the dvr...haven't found time to catch up. I can not remember the last time I read or posted on a survivor message board. Just reporting on what the media is saying--and it is echoing what other AI fans on other boards are saying as well. AI will be around for a long time, no doubt. But have they lost sight of what they do well?

TxMom2011 188 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-15-07, 12:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TxMom2011 Click to send private message to TxMom2011 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
Survivor is on its 14th "season" - - but it does run twice a year.

03-14-07, 02:36 PM (EST)
14. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
It takes awhile for ratings to slide...the product has to be disappointing first. That appears to be what is happening. Let's hope it is just this season. It is not just that and if it continues, people look back and try to pinpoint when the show started to jump the shark.

Many, many articles are out there in the press saying how blah or boring this season is. So this is not just the one journalist's opinion. I thought it would be interesting to keep track of the trends.

I read on another board that last night's ratings were down versus year ago. I should have them in a day or so.

It will take some time for AI to drift out of the top ten. Two years ago it would have seemed odd that "Lost" would not be as popular. The public can lose interest in a show. However, if the producers can grab good talent next year, then the show can easily rebound.

I agree with the article that the judges look bored. I think they phoned in their work in the audition rounds. They had some picks already lined up. Lakisha is a Gimme the Mike second placer. Blake won a contest in his area. Jordin was on Juniors. Melinda has sung back up for George Huff.

Now we have AI summer camp and AI ice cream. I think they are spending more time wringing what they can from their product instead of minding the main product--entertainment.

I am still a fan...but if we get middling talent again next year...

03-14-07, 07:14 PM (EST)
19. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
"...but the one aspect of AI that i love seeing the most is watching one contestant, or more, GROW while on the show.."

Geekboy--this is from an article on MJ's Big Blog about a Nigel interview on the top 12:

-------

"Jordin: Nigel thinks Jordin is going to be a huge star. He mentions that she auditioned for American Juniors a few years ago, but then didn’t get in. Nigel says, “This girl is a huge talent and somebody that we are going to see grow throughout the series.”

--------

So, TPTB have decided who is going to be the growth story for season 6. IMO it started with Jordin's singing last for the top 12. Is she this season's Chosen One?

priestdi 378 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

03-14-07, 02:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail priestdi Click to send private message to priestdi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"

I'm wondering if voting patterns have changed, now that the thrill isn't quite the same because we've done this so many times before.

I know I'm barely voting so far. And I used to vote a medium amount.

and maybe, if I'm not alone, this is why people like Blake and Chris Sligh are in danger tonight? Have you guys looked at DialIdol?? it's nonsensical.

03-14-07, 02:52 PM (EST)
17. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
One theory is that AI opened more phone lines so it is no as easy to measure results.

ITA about complacency--if the judges keep telling you that two people are leagues above the rest, then why bother dialing till your fingers fall off? Wish we had votes from last season--still looking around for old recaps that may give the info.

03-14-07, 06:14 PM (EST)
18. "Ratings 2/26-3/4-From TV Guide"
Yep a lot of shows would love to be fading so badly.

1 AI Tuesday 30.7 mil
2 AI Wednesday 29.8 mil
3 AI Thursday 27.4 mil
4 Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader Tuesday 26.5
5 Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader Wednesday 23.5
6 Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader Thursday 23.4
7 Desperate Housewives 18.3
8 CSI Miami 17.4
9 Deal or no Deal Monday 17.3
10 Two and a Half Men 16.6

The only reason IMO that 5th grader got the ratings was AI (especially since there was only 1/2 hour after AI for two of those nights).

03-15-07, 07:52 AM (EST)
20. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
LAST EDITED ON 03-22-07 AT 08:59 AM (EST)

Adding last night's votes to the list:

Season 6 voting:

3/8/07: Top 16---> 12: "37 million" (anyone have a tape of the show--how did he say it?)

3/14/07: Top 12--->11: "after nearly 28 million votes"

03-16-07, 07:57 AM (EST)
24. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
Found this vote info at MJ's Big Blog, I think the poster was Kirsten:

-----------

"Votes continue to be down this year. Last year, for Final 12 (Stevie Wonder night) there were 32.5 million votes cast. This year, 28 million. A decrease of 14%."

-----------

Kirsten may have been posting about vote totals from previous weeks versus year ago but I missed it--the blog's daily posts runs many, many pages.

tamarama 1785 desperate attention whore postings

03-15-07, 12:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tamarama Click to send private message to tamarama Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
Ya know, we hear this every year: this top 12 sucks, worst season ever.

I'm with Snidget & Geekboy -- I don't think the overall quality is vastly different from what we've seen in the past. I worry about too many divas, but there are probably people that think 'the more divas, the better.' And I like to see the growth too - I was just thinking about Vonzell the other day. Any of these could turn into a Vonzell. Well, maybe not Sanjaya. But we even have one of HIM every year too!

If ratings and voting are ever so slightly down so far this year, it may be because some people are getting tired of the audition episodes - we know that alot of peeps don't even start to watch until top 12, and don't vote until some time after that.

Frankly, if the audition episodes begin to fail...and inspire some changes...that may very well be a good thing. But they're not failing - not even close. Not for a long time.

Magnolia_Rocker 2139 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

03-15-07, 12:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Magnolia_Rocker Click to send private message to Magnolia_Rocker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
I have to disaggee here. I think this batch of 12 "overall" is grotesquely inferior to the past two seasons at least. (I started watching AI at the final 6 of season 3 and thought that if this was the best then that season must have svcked too) Season 4 had Bo, Carrie, Vonzell and Nadia, season 5 had Chris D., Elliott, Bucky, Taylor and Katherine. All of these past people would sing circles around all of this years crop...and yes I said "all". This is just a svcky year all around and I think AI producers dropped the ball. Of course, this is just my opinion.

A Tribe Original!

03-19-07, 11:27 AM (EST)
25. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
Cool.

MJ’s Big Blog's now talking about voting totals--and she has numbers from last year:

Season 5 votes -----Season 6 votes

Top 24: 40 M----32 M; 8 million votes down; a 20% drop

Top 20: 42 M ---32 M; 10 million votes down: a 24% drop

Top 16: 46 M----37 M; 9 million votes down; a 20 % drop

Top 12: 32.5M---28 M; 4.5 million votes down; a 14 % drop

Total so far: 160.5 M---129M; 31.5 million votes down; a 20% drop

03-19-07, 11:40 AM (EST)
26. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
And here are the Nielsen ratings for last week:

Tues Mar 13 (top 12): 29.4 M viewers; 31 share of adults 18-49
Year ago ( top 12 ): 32.7 M viewers; 33 share of adults 18-49 (-3.3M viewers)

Wed Mar 14 (top 12 results): 25.6 M viewers; 26 share of adults 18-49
Year ago ( top 12 results ): 28.1 M viewers; 28 share of adults 18-49 (-2.5M viewers)

Some perspective that MJ's Big Blog provided from Andy Denhart of Reality Blurred about the lower ratings this last week:

--Daylight Savings Time was three weeks early this year and predictably draws people away from their tv’s…could be the reason for ratings* being “down 15% from the same time last year”.

--She also notes that the rating* for AI's top 12 show on Tuesday was up 5% from the previous week’s show but draws the comparison to Season 5’s top 12 show rating--it was up 15% from its previous week’s show. So even the lift AI sees by going to the top 12 is diminished.

(*I did not post the rating number for each week--thought the viewer number and % share of their key demographic was enough info).

jbug 17146 desperate attention whore postings

03-19-07, 03:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
Does anyone believe that the number of votes Ryan claims is real? I mean,is there an auditor or company who can or will verify the actual number of votes?

Tho I realize that viewer participation (ie voting) is a big part of the popularity of this show, I really wish there could be a more accurate way of counting votes - as in one per person?
I know, I know, this has been discussed to death.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

03-19-07, 05:57 PM (EST)
28. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
LAST EDITED ON 03-19-07 AT 05:59 PM (EST)

They had someone named Edward Boddington from their auditing firm hand Ryan the envelope at the season 4 finale.

The firm is Telescope--here is a link talking about the voting in season 4:

http://www.telescope.tv/ai5_press.html

03-19-07, 06:01 PM (EST)
29. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
And a release about the 2006 season:

http://www.telescope.tv/press_idol_06.html

03-19-07, 08:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail priestdi Click to send private message to priestdi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"

thanks! this is new for me.

and here I thought I knew everything.

03-22-07, 09:01 AM (EST)
31. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"

Season 6 voting:

3/21/07: Top 11--->10: "After 30 million votes"

03-26-07, 11:10 AM (EST)
32. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
The Nielsen ratings for last week, the Top 11:

Tues Mar 20 (top 11): 29.4 M viewers; 30 share of adults 18-49 (-3.9M viewers)
Year ago ( top 11 ): 33.3 M viewers; ? share of adults 18-49

Wed Mar 21 (top 11 results): 26.3M viewers; 26 share of adults 18-49 (-1.3M viewers)
Year ago ( top 11 results ): 27.6M viewers; ? share of adults 18-49

Thanks again to MJ’s Big Blog for the info; her data are prelim Nielsen numbers. She did not provide the share numbers for 2006.

03-26-07, 11:25 AM (EST)
33. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
Updating the votes with last year's numbers:

Top 11: 35 M----30 M; 5 million votes down; a 14% drop

Total so far: 195.5 M---159M; 36.5M, a 18.7% drop

04-02-07, 10:55 AM (EST)
34. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
Vote numbers holding up from the week 3/21 before:

Adding last week's votes to the list:

Season 6 voting:

3/28/07: Top 10---->9: "After over 30 million votes"

------

Bye Chris S., I'll miss you on the show.

04-02-07, 01:54 PM (EST)
35. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
The Nielsen ratings for last week, the Top 10 --** note the drop in share of viewers**:

Tues Mar 27 (top 10): 28.2M viewers; 30% share of adults 18-49 ( -3.5M viewers and -3 share points; a 9% drop in share )
Year ago ( top 10 ): 31.7M viewers; 33% share of adults 18-49

Wed Mar 28 (top 10 results): 26.9M viewers; 28% share of adults 18-49 (-700,000 viewers and +1 share point)
Year ago ( top 10 results ): 27.6M viewers; 27% share of adults 18-49

Thanks again to MJ’s Big Blog for the info; her data are Nielsen numbers.

----

AI is losing some audience as seen by the drop 9% drop in share. Of all the households watching tv, 9% less watched AI than last year. This is not about daylight savings time now. This about fewer people choosing AI this year than last year when they watch tv on Tuesday nights.

Yes, AI is still king of ratings. AI is still number 1.

Here's what the drop in share means:

For advertisers, when they buy ad time on AI, they were promised numbers like last year's numbers in terms of millions of "eyeballs" (that's what you are to advertisers). So, AI/Fox is most likely having to provide "make goods" to advertisers to make up for the lost viewers. Make goods = additional ad time on AI or another show on Fox. If this trend continues the rest of the season, AI won't be able to charge as much next year for ad space as they did this year; or if there is inflation in ad costs, they will not be able to take the rates up as much.

I expect big ratings for the Charity Show in later April--it will be a star studded show.

I also expect the finale to be star studded, too, even if it is with previous idol stars like Taylor or Chris.

Both of these shows will help boost the overall season ratings.

Wait till you see the next post on the drop in votes!

04-02-07, 02:03 PM (EST)
36. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
LAST EDITED ON 04-09-07 AT 05:49 PM (EST)

Thanks to MJ's for having the vote numbers from last year:

Week by week vote numbers:

Top 10: ?? M ---30 M; ?? MILLION votes down;

ETA: Edited to remove vote total from season 5's top 10--MJ's Big Blog retracted the number, 45M that was originally posted.

04-09-07, 05:52 PM (EST)
38. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
Just noting the update from MJ's Big Blog that the Season 5's top 10 votes were not correct at 45M, the number is actually unknown (Ryan did not say last year?), so can not make a comparison--I edited the original post.

04-05-07, 09:21 AM (EST)
37. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
LAST EDITED ON 04-05-07 AT 09:21 AM (EST)

Season 6 voting:

4/4/07: Top 9----->8: "After the highest vote so far this season, just under 33 million votes"

------

Hmmmm...did Ryan forget the 3/8/07 votes that were 37 million? Or is "this season" referring to the top 12? The top 10? Or was the 37 million mention on the top 16 a misspeak and the votes were really a lot lower?

04-10-07, 08:35 AM (EST)
39. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
Comparing to last season

Top 10: ?? M ---30 M; ?? milliom votes down; (unknown)
Top 9: 35 M ---33 M; 2 million votes down; a 6% drop

Season to date* : 230.5 M ---192 M; 38.5 million votes down; a 20% drop

* excludes Top 10 votes for season 5 (unknown) and season 6

04-10-07, 08:45 AM (EST)
40. "January 2005 article"
Info from January 2005 on AI--glimpse of ratings at that point and other media selling points for the show--too long to put here.

http://www.nielsenmedia.com/newsreleases/2005/AmericanIdol2005.htm

And here is what Scarborough research said in Jan 2005 about the reality show tv audience:

-------

Consumer and Lifestyle information (Scarborough Research)

Consumers who typically watch reality-talent television<2> are active and have distinct retail behaviors, according to Scarborough Research. These consumers are 43 percent more likely than all consumers to jog as a leisure activity; 36 percent more likely to swim; and 24 percent more likely to play golf.

Fifteen percent of reality television viewers* plan to purchase or lease a new vehicle during the next year, and they are 27 percent more likely than all consumers to do so. In the cellular category, 14 percent of reality-talent television viewers plan to switch their cell phone service during the next 12 months, and are 34 percent more likely than the national average to intend this service switch.

Reality-talent television viewers are avid quick service restaurant patrons. They are 59 percent more likely than all consumers to have eaten at a fast food restaurant 10 or more times during the past month.

------

04-12-07, 12:29 PM (EST)
41. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"

Season 6 voting:

4/4/07: Top 9----->8: "After the highest vote so far this season, just under 33 million votes"

4/11/07: Top 8----->7: "After the highest vote of the season, over 35 million votes..."

This is the second time Ryan has mentioned the votes being the "highest this season" when earlier he said there were 37 million votes when the group went from top 16 to top 12. Did someone from 19E forget the number they told us or did they overstate the number from March 8? In any event, they have to be happy the vote number went "up" from just under 35 million to "over" 35 million.

Wonder how many votes they will get on Idol Gives Back night in two weeks?

04-14-07, 10:06 AM (EST)
42. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
Here are the ratings for the Top 9 week, data from TVWeek.com (this year's numbers) and MJ's Big Blog (last year's numbers):

Top 9 week ratings:

Tues Apr (top 9): 26.7M viewers; 29% share of adults 18-49 ( -2.1 M viewers and -3 share points; nearly 10% loss in share)
Year ago ( top 9 ): 28.8M viewers; 32% share of adults 18-49

Wed Apr (top 9 results): 26.1M viewers; 26% share of adults 18-49
Year ago ( top 9 results ): 26.2 M viewers; 26% share of adults 18-49

The top 9 week now compares Daylight Savings Time to Daylight Savings Time--so no more excuses like that for lighter viewing.

TVWeek had an article about the Top 8 week's ratings --that Tuesday was the lowest AI in 2 years but Wednesday's results show had a rebound--don;t have the final numbers yet.

04-14-07, 12:51 PM (EST)
43. "But how does 6 compare with 3 and 4?"
that's what I've been wondering for a while, but I don't have the time/priorities to look.

I have a hard time caring that this year is lower than last year, if it simply turns out that season 5 was the peak of a 10-year show, you know?

it has to peak sometime. the entire nation is never going to watch.

doesn't mean the show is failing, necessarily. Just that it's subject to some form of reality. lol. some aspect of it has to reflect reality, right? now if only they could achieve that on the show/editing, I'd be happy.

04-20-07, 00:19 AM (EST)
44. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
LAST EDITED ON 04-30-07 AT 12:48 PM (EST)

Adding Wed. night's votes to the list:
Season 6 voting:

4/11/07: Top 8----->7: "After the highest vote of the season, over 35 million votes..."

4/18/07" Top 7---->6: "After the biggest top 7 vote in idol history, with over 38 million votes..."

4/25/07: Top 6---still Top 6 "After over 70M votes" (voting was for 4 hours and was inspired by Idol Gives Back charity connected voting.

ETA: to add 4/25 votes comment; there was no elimination.

04-23-07, 05:28 PM (EST)
45. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
Top 8 week ratings--data is from TV Week for this year and MJ's Big Blog for last year:

Tues Apr 11 (top 8): 26.8M viewers; 29% share of adults 18-49 (-2.8 M viewers and -4 share points; more than -12 % loss in share)
Year ago ( top 8 ): 29.6M viewers; 33% share of adults 18-49

Wed Apr 12 (top 8 results): 28.6M viewers; 27% share of adults 18-49
Year ago ( top 8 results ): 22.6 M viewers; 24% share of adults 18-49

--

AI, while still the top rated show in the US, continues to lose viewers and share (versus year ago) of the 18-49 market, a key demographic for advertisers.

04-23-07, 05:48 PM (EST)
46. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
LAST EDITED ON 04-23-07 AT 05:50 PM (EST)

Comparing to last season

Top 9: 35 M ----33 M; 2 million votes down; a 6% drop
Top 8: ?? M ----35 M
Top 7: ?? M ----38 M

Ryan did not mention the vote numbers in last year's Top 8 or Top 7 results shows, so we do not know how this year's numbers compare to last year's numbers. We do know that the top 7 results votes number is the highest this season and this week's Idol Gives Back should have a stellar number.

04-30-07, 12:46 PM (EST)
47. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
LAST EDITED ON 05-11-07 AT 01:28 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 05-04-07 AT 09:01 AM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 04-30-07 AT 01:36 PM (EST)

Comparing to last season

Top 9: 35 M ----33 M; 2 million votes down; a 6% drop
Top 8: ?? M ----35 M
Top 7: ?? M ----38 M
Top 6: 47.5M ---70 M* *reflects voting for Idol Gives Back charity inspired voting; hard to compare to last year's level; 4 hours to vote
Top 6: (in lieu of top 5) ?? M ----- 65 M (combined votes were approximately 135 million; 4 hours to vote again

Top 4: ?? M --- 45 M

Note last year's top 6 had 47.5 million votes--a level not reached this year on an average voting night.

04-30-07, 01:47 PM (EST)
48. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
Top 7 week ratings--data is from TV Week for this year and MJ's Big Blog for last year:

Tues Apr 17 (top 7): 26.6M viewers; 28% share of adults 18-49 ( -1.8 M viewers and -4 share points; more than -14% loss in share)

Year ago ( top 7 ): 28.4M viewers; 32% share of adults 18-49

Wed Apr 18 (top 7 results): 28.9M viewers; 28% share of adults 18-49 (-1.3 M viewers and -2 share points; more than -7% loss in share)

Year ago ( top 7 results ): 27.6 M viewers; 30% share of adults 18-49

04-30-07, 01:51 PM (EST)
49. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
As for Top 6 week--Idol Gives Back Week, MJ's Big Blog reports that preliminary numbers for Tuesday and Wednesday night show a drop in viewers and share versus last year--AND even down versus the Top 7 week. I will report actuals next week (TVweek.com takes till the end of the week to give actual numbers).

Will Bon Jovi give them the boost they need this week? Idol, despite pulling out the stops with all the guest stars, will still need to give "make goods' to advertisers to make up for the lower ratings versus last year.

YankeeDixieDoodle 442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

04-30-07, 03:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail YankeeDixieDoodle Click to send private message to YankeeDixieDoodle Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
50. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
Bon Jovi or not, I'll watch tommorow night. And, the last five minutes of the "results" show. Do you think we'll actually have one this week?

04-30-07, 04:48 PM (EST)
51. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
I know you asked that tounge in cheek...but looking at the rest of the 'season":

Yes, we will get 2 boots this week, because now we are entering the May "sweeps" period--April 26 - May 23, 2007 and the AI finale is magically...May 23, the last night of "sweeps"! We have only 4 weeks left in the season. Can they build up some ratings with--

This week: Bon Jovi; down to 4
Next week: Barry Gibb; down to 3
May 15 and 16: Clive, final 3 down to 2
May 22 and 23: Final two perform; finale

Who is really drawing in the viewers? Simon?

05-05-07, 02:29 PM (EST)
52. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
LAST EDITED ON 05-05-07 AT 02:35 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 05-05-07 AT 02:34 PM (EST)

Top 6 week --Idol Gives Back top 6--ratings--data is from TV Week for this year and MJ's Big Blog for last year:

Despite making a lot of hoopla and blowing out Wednesday night with a lot of celebs and former idols like Carrie Underwood and Kelly C., AI still can not draw the viewers it did last year, continuing to lose viewers, ratings, and share versus year ago:

Tues Apr 24 (top 6): 26.6 M viewers; 28% share of adults 18-49 ( - 2.0 M viewers and -2 share points)

Year ago ( top 6 ): 28.6 M viewers; 30% share of adults 18-49

Wed Apr 25 (top 6 results): 26.9 M viewers; 27% share of adults 18-49 (-1.3 M viewers and -1 share point)

Year ago ( top 6 results ): 28.2 M viewers; 28% share of adults 18-49

ETA: these results numbers are down even from the previous week--and the first week they sang and had results without Sanjaya. Maybe this is the Sanjaya effect? I have not read anything about preliminary numbers for this past week's top 6 do-over so I don't know if things improved or not. Tvweek.com is always a week behind because they are publishing actuals not prelim numbers.

05-11-07, 01:33 PM (EST)
53. "RE: AI ratings and vote totals"
LAST EDITED ON 05-20-07 AT 10:34 AM (EST)

Adding Wed. night's votes to the list:
Season 6 voting:

4/18/07" Top 7---->6: "After the biggest top 7 vote in idol history, with over 38 million votes..."

4/25/07: Top 6---still Top 6 "After over 70M votes" (voting was for 4 hours and was inspired by Idol Gives Back charity connected voting.

ETA: to add 4/25 votes comment; there was no elimination.

5/2/07: Top 6 redux---"after 135 million votes" (implying there were 65M votes for the top 6 redux over another 4 hour voting period)

5/9/07: Top 4: "after over 45 million votes"

5/16/07 F3: "after almost 60 million votes"

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •