The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Audition Tapes"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

NytZGirL 13 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

10-18-01, 07:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail NytZGirL Click to send private message to NytZGirL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Audition Tapes"
I came across a site that had SURVIVOR 4 audition tapes streaming. Did anyone else happen to see them?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Audition Tapes s_man 10-19-01 1
   RE: Audition Tapes MiRaGe 11-29-01 2
       RE: Audition Tapes dabo 01-26-02 3
           EXAMPLES ON HOW NOT TO MAKE AUDITIO... Rose Red 01-27-02 4
               RE: EXAMPLES ON HOW NOT TO MAKE AUD... gophish 01-27-02 5
               RE: EXAMPLES ON HOW NOT TO MAKE AUD... SurvivorBlows 01-27-02 6
                   Back to the Naked Comic Rose Red 01-27-02 7
                       RE: Back to the Naked Comic SurvivorBlows 01-27-02 11
                   RE: EXAMPLES ON HOW NOT TO MAKE AUD... sleeeve 01-27-02 8
                       RE: EXAMPLES ON HOW NOT TO MAKE AUD... Rose Red 01-27-02 9
                           RE: EXAMPLES ON HOW NOT TO MAKE AUD... dabo 01-27-02 10
                       RE: EXAMPLES ON HOW NOT TO MAKE AUD... SurvivorBlows 01-27-02 12
 RE: Audition Tapes SurvivorBlows 01-27-02 13

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

s_man 579 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

10-19-01, 11:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail s_man Click to send private message to s_man Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Audition Tapes"
NG,

A little more detail, PLEASE. What is the site? Is it CBS related? etc....

MiRaGe 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

11-29-01, 08:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MiRaGe Click to send private message to MiRaGe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Audition Tapes"
LAST EDITED ON 11-29-01 AT 08:22 PM (EST)

This is formerly NyTzGirl. . .
I could not get my old name and password to work so I decided to re-register.

LoL although this is a month later, I guess my response is better late than never.

This is the site I was speaking of when I asked if anyone had seen Survivor 4 audition tapes.

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/ny-survvid.videogallery

Some of them are pretty cool. I doubt that individuals for the show were selected from these tapes or they would not be so accessible. But anyways.. enjoy!

cK*

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-26-02, 00:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Audition Tapes"
bump. it was on page 15

Rose Red 419 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

01-27-02, 01:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Rose%20Red Click to send private message to Rose%20Red Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "EXAMPLES ON HOW NOT TO MAKE AUDITION TAPES"
I don't think any of these people are gonna be S4. These tapes are just not VERY compelling. And they don't show off the people's FACES and to a lesser extent their personalities that much. You want someone to JUMP out at you. It has to be instaneous. In the first minute. You see their face and the grainy, at-home video camera just LOVES them. None of these people, except perhaps the cop, who did less than a minute really grabbed my attention. Also,the sound seemed to be missing on some of them. This is probably just something that CBS threw out to Newsday the Long Island newspaper(which I've written for in the past)to get some more ink and space on their website. Well, it worked. I looked at all of them.
Only the first guy even looked photogenic, Josh Wolk, but then he shot himself in the foot by not featuring himself on any more of the footage, only his car and the snow scenes on Long Island. Oy

gophish 7 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

01-27-02, 02:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail gophish Click to send private message to gophish Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: EXAMPLES ON HOW NOT TO MAKE AUDITION TAPES"
LAST EDITED ON 01-28-02 AT 12:08 PM (EST)

Right on Rose Red! These peeps are the most uninteresting, boring folks I've ever seen, esp. the "I survived Vietnam, I can survive anything" guy. lmao at that dude. You hit the nail on the head when you said that none of these people actually JUMP out at you. Quite frankly, None of these "potential survivors" would make good TV and I certainly don't think MB would ever let these clowns on S4 or any other for that matter...

One more thing tho...

Can we all agree that getting on the computer every morning and checking it last thing at night before bed to see if perhanps....just perhaps...the fresh new 16 friendly faces were revealed is a problem?? Is there help out there for us?

gophish

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

01-27-02, 01:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: EXAMPLES ON HOW NOT TO MAKE AUDITION TAPES"
Hey Rose, take a look at some of the previous tapes before you form such a firm opinion... Survivor Insider featured about 9-10 of the S3 audition tapes after the finale aired.

A number of them were FAR from "compelling."

Diane's was just her sitting in her kitchen talking to the camera about herself and all the audition tapes ideas she'd had but had opted NOT to use. Brandon's was him sitting at the kitchen table talking about himself.

I'd say both of those were about as "non-compelling" as you can get, yet on the basis of those tapes and their apps, both of those folks made it to the semi-finals and then the finals and then on to the show.

Have you thought that MAYBE the casting folks are just so overwelmed with outrageous tapes that after a while they become indifferent to them? ...if EVERY tape is of a candidate doing something outrageous, after a few thousand of those, don't they just all blend together?

If the idea is to stand out, then I don't see how you really accomplish that by taking the same "let's do some crazy stunt" approach that most of the other applicants took.

If anything, I think the casting directors put more weight on your answers on the application -- I'm not a psychiatrist, but I'd think your answers to such questions like "if you could hold any political office, what would it be and why," which previous Survivor contestant did you like the most/least, why, "describe your perfect day," "who is your hero," what would be the craziest, wildiest thing you'd do for the million dollars," "what would you not do for a million dollars," and "what is your favorite conversation topic at a dinner party and what topics are off limits?" would be more revealing of your true personality than whatever stunt you might pull on a 3 minute video.

Actually, this does lead us to an intereting question -- what is the review process??? Do they pop in EVERY video and then only read the apps of those they find interesting? Do they start by reading all the apps and the view the tape if the app is interesting? Do they read the app AND view the tape of EVERY candidate, no matter how bad/boring the app/tape that they first saw might have been?

Personally I have no idea, but it might be useful to know.

-SB

01-27-02, 04:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Rose%20Red Click to send private message to Rose%20Red Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Back to the Naked Comic"
OK, so this is what my new friend, the Naked Comic went through. I posted this elsewhere, but I guess it bares(pun, ugh)repetering here.(Stop me!)

Actually, he's a very talented, funny guy who I have just interviewed for my paper here in NYC. He's gonna be doing his next gig on Sat. Feb. 16 at 10 pm at the St. Mark's Theater, at 70 St. Mark's Place,(in the basement) between first and A in NYC, if any New Yorkers want to see what a Survivor reject looks like in the flesh.(all of it)It's $17 and he does take the money at the door himself, and yes, he does get naked, and so does a large number of male audience members. Evidently one woman got down to her bra, but the women are more reticent than the men. So it's Stand Up Comedy(I'm not touching that one with a ten foot pole) for nudists, I guess.

He's 21, Jewish, 6'7" from New Jersey, and still lives at home with his parents. His mother is a lawyer!(!?)

It was his tape that got him interviewed and seen, and taped again, and when I interviewed him yesterday he CLARIFIED that it was for s2, not s3 and that he thinks MITCHELL knocked him out because he was also freakishly tall. (Actually, I think Mitchell is taller.)BOTH his tapes got sent to Hollyweird. He also was taped multiple times for "the Real World" and he says he thinks they send the tapes around there(and probably do at Survivor, too)to several more groups of people who haven't actually seen or met him. EVERYTHING is how you come across on television. As well it should be. They are not casting a MOVIE or a PLAY.

Everything is the tape. Then they glance over the application.
He said the asked him "an endless series of stupid questions about nothing." Like "What would be his three wishes?" He had very funny answers, but I can't remember them.

Then probably pass the ones they like to somebody else on the team to see if the person merits calling like Te 'De Van(yes, that's his first name. He chose it himself)Kurzweill did. I did not see Brandon's or Diane's tapes, but I imagined their personalities probably jumped right out at the camera. That's what they are looking for - telegenic personalities, and that doesn't necessarily mean pretty people.

Diane's house was evidently VERY colorful. Like she is. That might have helped. They are also looking for a national demographic, and the fact that they had no one from Nebraska before may have helped her. Also,that she was a blue collar woman. They seem to have a character breakdown mapped out for some of these types. Like the Farmer from the South(Tom, Rodger), of course, all the model types, and the Blue Collar Woman is definately one slot that's open. And maybe not that easy to fill.

There's always an African American man and woman(Gervase, Nick, Clarence, Romona, Alicia, Linda.)

They didn't really have a Survivor Sweetheart this time, like Colleen or Elisabeth, but maybe that's what Jessie was supposed to be, but she got voted off too early for anyone to really fall in love with her. Then there's the athlete like Colby or Ethan or Joel.

I think they took Brandon because he was so VIOLENTLY gay and a different body type and demographic than Richard. He was also clearly a trouble maker. They like that. Any other fat gay guy, like the one(or two) on the streaming clips might not have a chance.

For the older contestants there's a lot of medical support needed. LOTS of doctors affadavits and check-ups. LOTS.

Te is trying out again for Survivor 5, he says. But he better hurry up. He may have missed it.

New Rose Red Sig Cap to Go HERE

01-27-02, 10:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Back to the Naked Comic"
>EVERYTHING is how you come across on television. As
>well it should be. They are not casting a MOVIE
>or a PLAY.
>
>Everything is the tape. Then they glance over the application.

No offense Rose, but I'm now convinced that you are completely off out of your gourd.

As far as "how you come across on television" -- I don't think they really care about that. For one reason, filming a 3 minute short of yourself is NOTHING like having a camera on you when you are thrown into the game. In the former 100% of your focus is on the camera, in the later you're just going about your activities and IF ANYTHING, they want you to FORGET the camera is there and let your guard down. ...then by the time you might get to doing any solo interviews in the island, you're so used to the camera that I can't imagine you are focusing on them very much.

Also, explain why a MOVIE or PLAY would be different than TV? Are movies not also filmed?

You have ZERO evidence that "Everything is the tape. Then they
glance over the application." Your naked buddy sounds like a psycho, and not only do I question anything this character says, but I don't see anything in the above where he detailed the internal review process -- I just see your ASSUMPTIONS. Btw, I watched the Ethan-on-Letterman video this weekend now that it's online at CBS.com. Maybe we watched DIFFERENT shows, but I certainly didn't see Ethan cracking Dave up constantly like you claimed.

I suggest you look at the Survivor Insider audtion tapes before making any more assumptions.

Diane's video was FAR from telegenic. There is very little evidence of any of the bright colors in her home. It's just her sitting on a stool, smoking a cig and talking to the camera for three minutes. Brandon's is even worse -- he's in a fairly dimly lit room with his roommate holding the camera. The only action is a quick pan of the apartment at one time to show it's lack of furnishings. He doesn't came across as flamboyant gay guy and as far as his body type, well, he was sitting behind the table the entire time and wasn't that clearly visible.

I find it extremely doubtful that these two were picked for the semi-finals based on their videos alone.

Frankly I think your Naked Guy is a desperate media whore who will say anything -- I DO NOT see Burnett "handing off" some of his videos to The Real World folks. Honestly, I think any casting insider would find that idea extremely funny (hell, maybe shaes can offer some commentary.)

The Real World folks get 1000's of applicants, they don't need any help from the Survivor folks.

-SB

sleeeve 3456 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

01-27-02, 04:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sleeeve Click to send private message to sleeeve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: EXAMPLES ON HOW NOT TO MAKE AUDITION TAPES"
>Have you thought that MAYBE the
>casting folks are just so
>overwelmed with outrageous tapes that
>after a while they become
>indifferent to them? ...if
>EVERY tape is of a
>candidate doing something outrageous, after
>a few thousand of those,
>don't they just all blend
>together?

Oh... I agree... outrageous is not the way to go... BUT... there is one thing that all of the tapes had in common that I think is critical to success:

The each featured at least 90% talking to the camera, and less than 10% anything else... and that's what they're looking for. Someone that can talk comfortably to a camera, that looks interesting, and that is not awkward... and that's what the tapes revealed to me about all of these contestants.

You never know what might be up my sleeeve...

01-27-02, 09:22 PM (EST)
9. "RE: EXAMPLES ON HOW NOT TO MAKE AUDITION TAPES"

Sleeve,
That is absolutely RIGHT. That's EXACTLY what they are looking for. EXACTLY. I'm sorry I wasn't more succinct. Yes, that's it. I saw Kelly Wiggles' tape somewhere and that's ALLLL she did. That was it. Just talked comfortably to the camera and was her, not very pretty, self. In HER kitchen, no less.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

01-27-02, 10:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: EXAMPLES ON HOW NOT TO MAKE AUDITION TAPES"
LAST EDITED ON 01-27-02 AT 10:55 PM (EST)

Of course, the series can stand one or two players who may not be camerahogs, but really those are the ones the show thrives on so they'll be looking for those in the audition tapes.

Rose, I found the problem, check your email.

01-27-02, 11:15 PM (EST)
12. "RE: EXAMPLES ON HOW NOT TO MAKE AUDITION TAPES"
LAST EDITED ON 01-27-02 AT 11:20 PM (EST)

>Oh... I agree... outrageous is not the way to go... BUT...
>there is one thing that all of the tapes had
>in common that I think is critical to success:
>
>The each featured at least 90% talking to the camera, and
>less than 10% anything else... and that's what they're looking
>for. Someone that can talk comfortably to a camera,
>that looks interesting, and that is not awkward... and that's
>what the tapes revealed to me about all of these
>contestants.

Exactly... let's look at the videos we know of:

(these are all from my memory of watching the tapes about 2 weeks ago, so I might be wrong a little)

Diane: Nothing more than her bobbing head

Brandon: Nothing more than his bobbing head

Carl: Just him giving a tour of his dentist office while talking about why he'd be good on the show

Jesse: Probably one of the more lively tapes... I think she shows herself working out (boxing?) then shows herself going to bed, waking the next morning, some quick summary of her getting dressed and then "out to the cruiser" to start her day

Linda: She's in her backyard in the winter cold, wearing a swimsuit. Talks about her accomplishments ("getting out of the ghetto," running, climbing, cancer, etc.)

Lex: Scenes of Lex's life... band playing, skateboarding... to be honest I don't remember much of it.

Tom: Tom talking about himself while sitting on the gold cart surrounded by sheep, etc. Funny scene at the end when he drives off leading the herd

KimJ: Kim walking around her living room/kitchen, talking about herself and why she'd be good to be in the game.

Kelly: Probably the "wildest" tape, along with Lindsey's. Shows a tour of her apartment at Duke, then a couple of scenes of her at at local nightspots dressed in her funny "MANipulator" outfit.

KimP: Not available on Survivor Insider, but from the public clips shown on Today, the recap show, etc. it looks like it's her sitting in her bathtub in a bubble bath talking about herself.

Lindsey: Not available on Survivor Insider, but we've just about all seen the 15 second clip where she is riding "naked" through a local park. No clue what the rest of the tape entails.

...I think that's most of them, I can't remember Frank, Ethan, Clarence, Teresa, or Silas, but I think this sample clearly shows that the "outrageous" tapes (like ALicia's "kangaroo hunting" tape are FAR in the minority and the producers REALLY ARE just looking for tapes featuring folks calmly talking about themselves.

01-27-02, 11:21 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Audition Tapes"
Btw, I'm going to move this to FANATICS since it really isn't a SPOILER...

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •