The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Teresa interview from The Advocate"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-10-02, 02:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Teresa interview from The Advocate"
I'm posting this in spoilers because there is a particular comment in this interview that I would like everyone to take a look at and react to...

This is from the national gay & lesbian newspaper The Advocate and (as you can see) was published today. The comment that I'm referring to is highlighted in red.

http://www.advocate.com/html/stories/854_5/854_5_cooper.asp

A Survivor recalls her gay brother

In an exclusive interview with Advocate.com, Survivor: Africa contestant T-Bird--as Teresa Cooper was known to her tribemates--reveals an intimate story from her personal life for the first time: She lost her brother Steve to AIDS, and now she hopes to use her newfound fame to help in the global fight against the spread of HIV.
By Bob Adams.
An Advocate.com exclusive, posted January 10, 2002

Although Survivor: Africa contestant Teresa Cooper fell one tribal council vote short of making the smash reality TV program’s season finale, airing Thursday on CBS, the 42-year-old Georgian did emerge as one of Survivor’s most good-hearted cast members. Nowhere was this more evident than in the program’s January 3 episode, during which a reward challenge that provided supplies and antiretroviral drugs to a Kenyan HIV/AIDS clinic prompted Cooper to joyful tears—and also a painful revisiting of her brother’s 1990 AIDS death.

When fellow cast member Lex van den Berghe won the reward competition on the January 3 episode and was told he’d be delivering supplies and medication to an area HIV/AIDS clinic <the Wamba Catholic Hospital>, you started crying. What brought on the tears?
As soon as the truck was opened I could see that there were boxes that were marked "HIV test kits." Immediately we knew that there was going to be a special visit, and all of the emotions of what had happened to my brother Steve came flooding back. There were tears of sadness because my family had been personally affected by AIDS, but also tears of joy because we were going to give something back and we were contributing. Being a part of that is what really touched me.

What can you tell us about your brother and his battle with AIDS?
He passed away 12 years ago, almost to the month. So little was known about HIV and AIDS at the time he was diagnosed. So very little. When he was diagnosed, my family and I started reading and trying to get as much information as we could. Back then, life expectancy when someone was diagnosed with full-blown AIDS was about 13 months, and he died exactly 13 months after he was diagnosed.

Was your brother gay?
Yes, he was.

Did you talk with the other tribe members about your brother--the fact that he was gay and that he had AIDS?
Yes. It wasn’t a secret.

Not a lot was known about HIV and AIDS at the time your brother dealt with the disease, and there was a lot of fear and misinformation. Did your brother or your family experience any sort of discrimination because Steve was gay and had AIDS?
You know, it might have happened but it was never anything that we saw. Our family and friends are a really close group, and none of us are the kind of people who would turn on anyone for anything. I think Steve surrounded himself with the same kind of people. Unlike a lot of families that might turn away from someone who is diagnosed with AIDS, we were the total opposite. We were there for him 100%. We didn’t worry about touching him or holding him or kissing him--it just wasn’t a concern for us. Our love for him was unconditional. It didn’t matter one way or the other that he was gay. His partner had died a month before Steve did, and we were very, very close with him as well. He was family to us. We embraced them both.

What do you think that your family and the people who came in contact with your brother learned about the disease and those suffering from it?
If we’ve learned anything over the years, it’s that AIDS is not a disease of discrimination. It affects children and babies and brothers and sisters and mothers and fathers. There is no discrimination.

Was it difficult knowing that the lifesaving drugs you and Survivor were delivering to the Wamba clinic weren’t available when your brother fought the disease?
Absolutely not! It was bittersweet. The bitterness came about because of what had happened to Steve, but the sweet part was that we were all pitching in to try to make a difference. At the time Steve had AIDS, all we could do was keep hoping and praying there would be a cure. And here we are, 12 years later, and there’s still no cure! You’d be surprised how many people still don’t realize that.

Did your family’s personal experience with AIDS lead you to any sort of volunteer work or other support of HIV/AIDS organizations and charities?
We live down on a farm in Jackson <Ga.>, and because I’m a flight attendant I also do a lot of traveling. If we had been living closer to Atlanta, I think we would have gotten much more involved. I’m fortunate now in having been on Survivor in that I can use Survivor as a platform to show how widespread the problem still is. I’ve been talking with the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation, and I’m hoping to do some work with them. It’s something I can do to help make a difference for Steve and for others who’ve had AIDS.

Lex was able to meet with some of the doctors and patients at the Kenya clinic. Did that make you any more envious of the fact that he won the reward challenge?
Oh, not at all! I would have loved to have been a part of the visit to the clinic physically, but just knowing that the supplies went there and that we were supporting the hospital was just great.

How do you think it would have affected you if you had been able meet with some of the African AIDS patients?
You know, having been touched by AIDS so personally by my brother who I was so close with, it already was something very close to my heart. I think that being a mom with two children, you know, it would have been very moving to have seen children suffering.

Did the fact that you were in Africa, the heart of the world’s AIDS epidemic, come into your mind at the time you were there? Or were you too involved with the game itself to think about it much?
When we were finally taken away and reminded of all the statistics after <Survivor producer> Mark <Burnett> had made the donation to Wamba, it really brought it home for me that there is still no cure. But at the time, the game overwhelmed us. We were so separated from the people of Africa, and thrown into a game with 15 strangers. We were dehydrated and exhausted. It just consumed us.

Looking back at the experience, is there anything you would have done differently in terms of playing the game?
Being the last one from my tribe <Samburu> still standing, I knew my odds weren’t very good being up against four original Boran. I was trying everything, given the way the cards were stacked--I was trying to get Lex off, then when he won immunity I was trying to get Tom <Buchanan> off. I tried to play every strategy I could. But I was on the other side from the beginning. I don’t think there was anything I could have done differently.

What was the hardest part of the game for you?
Losing! Absolutely, losing!

Were you surprised at the constantly shifting alliances among your tribe members?
Oh, yes! I thought that once we got back together we had a good chance. But Brandon <Quinton> jumped ship on us for one week, and it changed the game completely for us. Even though he came back the next week, we were just devastated. Especially Kim <Powers>. There was a real betrayal there, and she just couldn’t understand why. It’s something I want to talk to Brandon about when I see him today <in Los Angeles on January 9, one day before the series finale airs>. I just want to shake him and yell: "Brandon! Brandon!"

Have you seen the episodes?
Yes.

Is there anything you did in any of the episodes that you wish hadn’t been shown or that you could take back?
Nope. But that was something I worried about at the very beginning, when we were chosen: What will I regret? But there wasn’t anything, fortunately, that I ended up regretting.

What’s the significance of the lucky bullet necklace that you brought as your luxury item?
My husband had given that to me 13 years ago. I’m a runner. We live out in the country, and I run on some pretty desolate country roads. My husband thought I needed some form of protection, so he used to take me to target practice. When I entered my first marathon, I needed a lucky charm. There was a bullet beside him, so he gave that to me. I guess if there had been a stick or a rock there, I would have ended up with that instead! But I’ve had that lucky bullet now for 13 years.

What do you hope viewers will remember about you after the season is over?
That I played a good and fair game and that I didn’t quit until that flame went out.

Any predictions for us Survivor fanatics who will be tuning into the finale?
Early on in the game, I told someone that although I wanted to win really, really badly, I think I could live with it if a certain other person won. I think my premonition will probably become true.

One last question: How on earth were you able to drink those glasses of animal blood?
I was in a total fog at the time! You do it because you know you have to if you want to stay in the game. So you just mentally psych yourself up and do it and act like it was no big deal. But, you know, afterward you think, What in the world did I just do? Especially after you watched the other people do it. When Linda <Spencer> had the blood running out of the corner of her mouth, I was like, “Oh, Linda! That is so gross!”

CBS will auction off memorabilia and props used in taping Survivor: Africa on the online auction site eBay beginning at 7 p.m. Pacific/10 p.m. Eastern on January 10. All proceeds will benefit the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation. For more information about the auction, contact the Glaser foundation toll-free at (888) 499-HOPE or visit the foundation’s Web site at www.pedaids.org.

OK, what does "early on in the game" mean? If it means before E7, then doesn't that indicate that she thinks either Ethan or Kim J win, since she was never in a tribe with Lex or Tom until Moto maji? And would you use the phrase "early on in the game" to refer to a post-merger event?

To me, this looks like a valuable spoiler -- perhaps the first we've had. I leave it up to each of you to draw your own conclusions.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Teresa interview from The Advoc... NightScribe 01-10-02 1
 RE: Teresa interview from The Advoc... Loree 01-10-02 2
 RE: Teresa interview from The Advoc... anotherkim 01-10-02 3
 RE: Teresa interview from The Advoc... SurvivorBlows 01-10-02 4
 RE: Teresa interview from The Advoc... Bebo 01-10-02 5
 Early Premonition? Krautboy 01-10-02 6
 RE: Teresa interview from The Advoc... littlesplitty 01-10-02 7
 RE: Teresa interview from The Advoc... heymikey 01-10-02 8
 RE: Teresa interview from The Advoc... dangerkitty 01-10-02 9

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

NightScribe 761 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

01-10-02, 02:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail NightScribe Click to send private message to NightScribe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Teresa interview from The Advocate"
Wow AK, this is awesome. I also believe that "early on in the game" must be referring to the New Boran tribe, just after the switch but certainly not post-merge.

Now, the question is, who would Teresa want to see win if she couldn't? By process of elimination, I don't think it's Lex. She voted for him 3 or 4 times. Tom? But they were on opposite tribes until the Merge. That leaves Ethan and Kim. She told Kim she didn't want to see the game come down to the guys. But she also said "What can you say that's bad about Ethan?" and something like "If we don't vote him out, he's going to take the whole thing". I can't remember when she said this, but I think it was the episode where she's trying for an all girl alliance.

I personally think this is about either Kim J. or Ethan, but leaning toward Ethan.

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

01-10-02, 02:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Teresa interview from The Advocate"
>I think my premonition will probably become true.

This sounds like she isn't sure who the winner is. But she thinks she probably knows.

I thought of Lex because of his son. If Teresa is talking alot of her brother and him being ill. Then she may have felt for Lex with his son and knew he needed the money. It would be the most unselfish reason for winning. I couldn't understand why she would have felt for a long time that Kim, Tom or Ethan should win. She wasn't with any of them from the beginning.

anotherkim 14420 desperate attention whore postings

01-10-02, 02:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail anotherkim Click to send private message to anotherkim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Teresa interview from The Advocate"
I would think she meant pre-merge just on the face of the comment. I would put my money on Ethan if that were the case. No real reason, but I imagine that she thought he was a nice guy and good player.

I don't think she would be as keen on Tom winning because she has been very outspoken about him trying to get others to do his dirty work for him.

I think if you add this to Kelly's (I think) about being pretty sure of the winner, it would have to be Ethan. I can't think of anyone else that could appear to be a shoe-in no matter who his opponents were.

Kim

If it's a mental challenge, we're screwed...
Big Tom on his partnership with Lil' Kim

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

01-10-02, 03:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Teresa interview from The Advocate"
Great catch AK. You would think that "early in the game" with be more likely to be within the first 12-18 days, rather than at some point after day 18.

I agree it's likely KimJ or Ethan (who were my picks for the final 2 in my PTTE two weeks ago but I've been debating whether to still stick with them all afternoon.)

-SB

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

01-10-02, 03:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Teresa interview from The Advocate"
Chalk up another Ethan vote here. It makes sense to see New Boran as the early on in the game. And we haven't been shown anything that would make KimJ a likely winner at final TC -- a possible winner, yes, but not a likely one -- so I don't think she'd be able to trust a Kippy premonition.

If she's not referring to Ethan, she could be referring to Lex. Yes, they were on opposing tribes all the way through the merge. But she observed him during challenges, and heard about Ethan, Kim, and Clarence. Maybe she had an early respect for him based on that.

Silly thought...would she have made the comment about Tom, as in, "Well, if I can't win it, I could live with another Southerner winning it?" She'd never have been able to say that about Silas, but maybe she just said it about Tom since he's from the south too.

Just wanted to throw those out, but I still think Ethan is the most likely choice.

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

01-10-02, 03:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "Early Premonition?"
Ayak, Thanks, this is interesting...

Any predictions for us Survivor fanatics who will be tuning into the finale?

"Early on in the game, I told someone that although I wanted to win really, really badly, I think I could live with it if a certain other person won. I think my premonition will probably become true."

"Early on in the game" would mean pre-merge, but probably post swap, since all of the other Original Samburu are gone. The only people left in the game that she had contact with early on are Ethan and KimJ.

A "premonition" is kind of a gut feeling without any specific reason. Kind of a first impression. I think either of them could have made a good first impression on Teresa, but I highly doubt that Teresa would say to herself upon meeting KimJ...."Gee, I've got a premonition she's going to win because she's so nice" But on the otherhand it is very likely that she would get that feeling upon meeting and getting to know Ethan. Ethan may have even reminded her of her younger brother...

She has even commented to KimJ in one of the episodes, "shoot, what can you say aginst Ethan? Nothin'..."

I think she can live with not winning if the "good guy" wins.I think she is referring to Ethan...

Krautboy

littlesplitty 24 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

01-10-02, 05:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail littlesplitty Click to send private message to littlesplitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Teresa interview from The Advocate"
Actually, I think that we could use this spoiler in addition to the other one floating around from Teresa. She stated that we would be surprised to see who the final two are, which to me would eliminate any pairing of the three guys left, except perhaps Lex and Tom since there has been some slight friction there. This leads me to believe that the person that she could live with winning besides herself is Kim. Those two were always together, and they were constantly hugging. Her little comment about not being able to say anything bad about Ethan was not made with a smile on her face, she was being quite snippy because she wanted to get him off because he was too big a threat. I think the odd pairing will be Kim and any of the guys, especially Lex. (Which could be a real possibility if he win immunity and decides to take her to the final two because, like T-Bird says, what can you say about Ethan?? Plus, I don't think He would choose Tommy after what went down last epi.) So, I actually think this whole spoiler lends itself more towards Kin in the final two!! Too bad, because she didn't do too much to get there besides FUTR. Okay, that was my two cents, have a great time tonite all!!
<><
Splitt

heymikey 238 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

01-10-02, 08:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail heymikey Click to send private message to heymikey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Teresa interview from The Advocate"
Man, I wish I hadn't read this post! It's going to ruin the suspense. Oh well, my fault since I keep on hanging out on the spoiler site.

Anyways, I definitely think it's Kim J. They were close ever since the switch occurred. Oh well, another person wins Survivor without actually playing the game....

dangerkitty 1913 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

01-10-02, 08:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dangerkitty Click to send private message to dangerkitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Teresa interview from The Advocate"
Very interesting indeed!

This phrase catches my eye: "...I told someone...". OK, now who would she tell? Frank seems most likely, and that would still fit for after the switch. If so, this lends it to NOT being MamaKim, since Frank threw his vote at her.

Teresa is a nice person. If "nice" Teresa can't win it, "nice" Ethan is acceptable. And I feel this would actually fit in with her post-boot raves about Lex. She does like Lex, but she voted against him. She wants it to be clear that she thinks he's great.

She could be sitting on the jury knowing for sure that she, MamaKim, Kelly and Frank voted for Ethan. Game over.

(Obligatory disclaimer: It could all be an MB induced misdirection! MB is still in control of these people!)

dangerkitty

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •