The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
""knockdown drag out tribal council vote" ...what's it mean?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-27-01, 02:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
""knockdown drag out tribal council vote" ...what's it mean?"

Does this phrase choice bother anyone?

Would CBS COMPLETELY lie in a promo? If not, what is it that's going to happen at TC tonight?

...with the holidays, I haven't been reading the topics much, but I'm surprised I couldn't find any analysis of this phrase.

-SB

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Plus on the CBS website... Bebo 12-27-01 1
   But... flying squirrel 12-27-01 5
 RE: "knockdown drag out tribal coun... MDSkinner 12-27-01 2
 RE: "knockdown drag out tribal coun... VampKira 12-27-01 3
   Prior Votes Bebo 12-27-01 4
       RE: Prior Votes managerr 12-28-01 6
           Agree AyaK 12-28-01 7
               RE: Agree dabo 12-28-01 8
               A misleading question, not a lie... Krautboy 12-28-01 9
               RE: Agree Outfrontgirl 12-28-01 10
                   OFG Drive My Car 12-28-01 14
               RE: Agree Naked 12-28-01 11
                   I'm not AyaK Outfrontgirl 12-28-01 12
                       RE: I'm not AyaK dabo 12-28-01 13

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

12-27-01, 03:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Plus on the CBS website..."
"One tribe member attempts to form an alliance along gender lines. Only the votes will reveal whether this plan has worked. Will it? "

There's been speculation that everyone would gang up on Lex this time if he doesn't win IC, but both of these pieces of hype suggest a much closer tribal council.

Knockdown...could just be a reference to the IC of "knocking down" the pots.

Dragout...usually the TC has been dragged out when there's a tie. Things have gotten more intense before when the tiebreaker has come into play. Or it might just be Jiffy dragging out the suspense by reading alternating votes out until he gets to the end. The vote count is 3-2 when he pulls out the final vote that will confirm whether there are gender alliances or whether the original tribal alliances win out...and it's 4-2, OB knocking out OS.

flying squirrel 290 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

12-27-01, 07:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail flying%20squirrel Click to send private message to flying%20squirrel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "But..."
To me, a "knock-down, drag-out tribal council" implies that someone loses his or her temper and fires off verbal shots at others. The only person I could see reacting in such an emotional manner at TC is Lex ... but it's not obvious why he would do so.

We'll know soon enough!

MDSkinner 716 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

12-27-01, 03:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MDSkinner Click to send private message to MDSkinner Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: "knockdown drag out tribal council vote" ...what's it mean?"
To me, "knockdown drag out" can really mean a lot of different things. And because that is the truth, I don't think that it really matters who gets voted out tonight, it could still be construed as knockdown drag out. So for the most part, when I see this I do not feel that there is spoiler value to it.

I think of the time where Lindsey was booted out, and they said that it would be the most intense tribal council ever. Almost everyone assumed that Lindsey would not be the target, if that were to come true, for the simple reason that everyone knew that she had no shot in the tie breaker. As it was, she was the target, and was voted out and when we saw she was the target we had no doubt that she was gone, but it still ended up being an intense tribal council. So, I guess, for the most part that regardless of who is booted tonight, it may still be considered knockdown drag out, at least to the folks at CBS.

VampKira 4433 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

12-27-01, 03:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail VampKira Click to send private message to VampKira Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: "knockdown drag out tribal council vote" ...what's it mean?"
A question:

Do any of the remaining Survivors have the same amount of votes against them? I ask because if it came down to a tie, with each having the same amount of previous votes.. it could get ugly.

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

12-27-01, 04:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "Prior Votes"
Lex - 6
Tom - 3
KimJ - 1

Ethan, KimP, Teresa - 0

So the only tie where prior votes wouldn't decide it would be between the people with no votes. Common sense says that shouldn't happen.

If OB is pagonging, then they'd be voting against someone with no votes. If OS could convince an OB to defect, then they could go after Ethan. Now, this would be a stupid plan, since either Tom or Lex would be available as a sure bet to lose a 3-3 vote and one or both will be without immunity...unless the one without immunity was the defecting member.

Do I think it'll happen? NO. Yeah, I know, using common sense isn't the best approach with this group, but the defector would be taking a huge risk. If the remaining OB suspect before TC, then guess who would be the new target, ensuring that prior votes would decide a tie.

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

12-28-01, 00:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail managerr Click to send private message to managerr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Prior Votes"
Boy, talk about being blatantly lied to by CBS now. Is this what they have finally stooped to? The least they could have done was scripted a fight between Brandon and Kelly over the Sarong.

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings

12-28-01, 01:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Agree"
In fact, this line is part of what convinced me that the bland boot of Kim P couldn't take place this week. So much for believing anything from CBS.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

12-28-01, 02:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Agree"
Perhaps "knockdown dragout" is an ex-Brit-paratrooper's attempt at sardonic American wit (which MB typically just doesn't get) for "heep big so what." I knew Teresa's scheme wouldn't work when she tried to convince Mama Kim they could get Big Tom to vote for Lex, she never once considered they could tie him with three votes and the deadlock rule would take him out in the end.

"If all machines were to be annihilated at one moment, so that not a knife nor lever nor rag of clothing nor anything whatsoever were left to man but his bare body alone that he was born with, and if all knowledge of mechanical laws were taken from him so that he could make no more machines, and all machine-made food destroyed so that the race of man should be left as it were naked upon a desert island, we should become extinct in six weeks. A few miserable individuals might linger, but even these in a year or two would become worse than monkeys." (Samuel Butler, "Erewhon")

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

12-28-01, 02:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "A misleading question, not a lie..."
Voiceover: will it be the women
MamaKim: 3 of us
Voiceover: versus the men?
MamaKim: 3 of them
Voiceover: in a knockdown drag out tribal council vote ?

The voiceover in the preview did not make a statement, it asked a question? Obviously a misleading question, but not really a lie...

It is fairly common practice for MB and his writers to ask misleading questions in the previews, in an effort to create suspense where there really is none. Usually the answer to the question is NO!

Krautboy

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings

12-28-01, 02:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Agree"
LAST EDITED ON 12-28-01 AT 02:48 AM (EST)

As to the TC,

whaddya mean there was no knockdown drag out? We all saw Brandon, who is OUT, come to TC in drag, so to speak. I think CBS meant "knockout in drag" and someone rearranged the words a little!!!

dabo,
see Webby and AyaK discussion that Teresa and MamaK may have been strategizing for next episode. I think Mamakim never wanted the female alliance to include cute LilKim. They want to break up L-E-T next time. Mama could have booted Lex this time with a tie, but her Boran allies would have turned on her and she would have de facto defected to Samburu a la Kelly. No way!

There was a guess that this scene was a future flash, but I hope not. Too heinous. It could well have been this time.

As in--Mamakim tells Tbird a Samburu must go this time, but she can save her and boot Kim, then next time they make move...
It's been my belief (various posts) that MamaKim would not defect to Samburu.

With only Tbird left, there is no more Samburu, only two women trying to break into the Boran guys' pecking order, and the guys themselves are starting to sort out the final line-up. NOW the low man on the OB totem pole has nothing to lose by voting out Lex.

A move by MK at this time, unless against her Final 2 alliance (Ethan), would probably gain respect from the jury--after all, she has to point to SOME way in which she played rather than got dragged along...

Edited because Krautboy just posted, to agree that the hypothetical questions usually don't materialize. I would say they NEVER turn out, but maybe NEVER is too strong a word; let's just say I can't remember an instance.

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

12-28-01, 10:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "OFG"
Just sneaking in to say knockout in drag????
OMG LOL, this made my morning

Naked 887 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

12-28-01, 02:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Naked Click to send private message to Naked Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Agree"
Quick question AyaK,

Why didn't you consider Theresa as a boot potential this week?
your choice was between Lex,and KimP. I saw Theresa as more of a choice, and I'm still trying to figure out why KimP was booted tonight instead.
Naked

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings

12-28-01, 03:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "I'm not AyaK"
Naked, but
I did post why I picked KimP over Teresa this week on your congrats thread--ie the Kelly's friend spoiler.

In addition, T's face time was too low last episode.
I agree T would have been Boran's wiser choice.

Just goes to show the person with no allies is more screwed than the person who's a threat but has some fingers in the alliance pie, and T has been working REAL hard to stay alive.

Last season, Lis was the Kucha who just wouldn't give up, who kept talking to Tina, trying to stay alive. She finished 4th, whereas Amber, paralyzed like deer in the headlights, went out in Kim P's place once her vote was no longer needed by Ogakor.

Also, Amber was judged by Tina not to have proved she could stand on her two feet and play the game hard--thus judged less worthy. I would draw the same analogy with Kim Powers.

Being the most likeable of the GXA Loozers could only get her so far.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

12-28-01, 10:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: I'm not AyaK"
>Just goes to show the person
>with no allies is more
>screwed than the person who's
>a threat but has some
>fingers in the alliance pie,
>and T has been working
>REAL hard to stay alive.
Yes, she has, but she misplayed in episode 10 by trying to rally a vote against Ethan, so why did she basically put things on hold until after ic? Lex and Tom were gone from camp a long time and pretty much nothing happened at camp while they were gone, no strategy of any kind except learning card games.
>
>Being the most likeable of the
>GXA Loozers could only get
>her so far.
Well, GXA was doomed to go down no matter what, at least Kim P. made it to the final six. The 3-3 switch gave Brandon and Kim P. a chance to re-evaluate their positions, it's a shame she was buddied up with a guy who blew their one big chance to take control of the game.

"If all machines were to be annihilated at one moment, so that not a knife nor lever nor rag of clothing nor anything whatsoever were left to man but his bare body alone that he was born with, and if all knowledge of mechanical laws were taken from him so that he could make no more machines, and all machine-made food destroyed so that the race of man should be left as it were naked upon a desert island, we should become extinct in six weeks. A few miserable individuals might linger, but even these in a year or two would become worse than monkeys." (Samuel Butler, "Erewhon")

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •