The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Demise of American Idol"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Soundesigner 7 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-12-06, 00:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Soundesigner Click to send private message to Soundesigner Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The Demise of American Idol"
LAST EDITED ON 05-12-06 AT 01:26 AM (EST)

After last night's travesty on American Idol, the show should now more appropriately be titled "Fallen Idol" -- referring not to Chris Daughtry, but rather to the show itself as a "fallen" entity.

Who is at the helm these days? Perhaps a better question would be, is ANYONE at the helm? The show seems to be running itself.....into the ground. Over time, judges Randy, Paula and Simon have undermined their own credibility and authority by hamming it up for laughs. And Ryan Seacrest (whom most of us can't help but like) has sadly added to the demise of their credibility.

The talent on American Idol is just as good as ever, but the contest itself has become a farce. The voting has now resorted to (after last night there is no doubt this is happening) America frantically supporting the person they don't want to see booted off the show.... yet. Chris Daughtry should have been one of the final two contestants, if not this year's American Idol. Everyone "knew" Chris would go to the finals, so they voted for the person they wanted to keep in the running ALONG WITH Chris. The approach obviously backfired, but the problem is not that viewers are dimwits, but rather that the whole stability of the show is beginning to crumble. The judges no longer respect each other's opinions, so why should we? And the problem is exaggerated by Ryan Seacrest's flippant banter with the now "dysfunctional family".

By far the worst problem with the show is the voting method. The most reliable method for determining who are the most wanted contestants on the show would, arguably, be for the viewers to vote for the contestant they want to go home each week. Using this method, the least effective contestant is eliminated each week, until the truly best performers (at least in America's opinion) are left. This voting method WILL work, because viewers would be choosing the ONE person they want to leave the show. Instead, with the current system, viewers are having to choose among several of their favorites and guess which one needs votes in order to survive another week. The current voting system only works when there are two remaining contestants to choose between. And, tragically, at that point some of the better singers (Chris Daughtry is the best example in the history of the show) have already become victims of the flawed voting process. It is not difficult to predict the beginning of next week's show, when Ryan Seacrest will acknowledge the tragedy of Chris leaving the show and then blame the audience for not voting for him. How many times does FOX expect viewers to buy that worn-out argument? It is not simply the voters, but rather the voting format of the show, that is the problem. And Chris Daughtry's demise has made that fact crystal clear.

After last night, American Idol is simply too flawed to watch any more. If FOX is attempting to produce a farcical parody, they are succeeding. But if I want to watch really good farce on television, I'll tune in to "The Office". American Idol has become a joke.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The Demise of American Idol Soundesigner 05-12-06 1
   RE: The Demise of American Idol AshLanie 05-12-06 5
 RE: The Demise of American Idol bob_chester 05-12-06 2
   RE: The Demise of American Idol BunnyBabe 05-12-06 3
       RE: The Demise of American Idol tarmaq 05-12-06 4
 Locking with warnings Bebo 05-12-06 6

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Soundesigner 7 desperate attention whore postings

05-12-06, 01:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Soundesigner Click to send private message to Soundesigner Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The Demise of American Idol"
Dear Bebo,

Did you notice all the specific postings about Chris listed on the American Idol General Discussion Forum -- just below mine -- before you moved my posting to the Individual Contestant and judge Discussion Forum?

No worries.... however, my posting was more focused on the problems with American Idol in general, and not specifically on Chris Daughtry. Even though, admittedly, last night's show prompted the posting. The real problem is with the show itself, and is not isolated to what happened to Chris -- who will, without a doubt, go on to great success.

I have changed the subject line to more accurately reflect the content of the posting and have re-submitted it to the General American Idol Forum, where I hope you will allow it to remain.

Thanks for pointing out my error -- that the subject heading did not accurately represent the content of my posting.

Soundesigner

AshLanie 895 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

05-12-06, 06:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AshLanie Click to send private message to AshLanie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: The Demise of American Idol"
Weren't there rumours in the second season in the final vote?

Think it was less than 4% between Reuben and Clay and some were complaining that Clay's numbers weren't working?

Last season they gave wrong numbers out for some of the contestants and the viewers had to re-vote?

I feel the judges should do the voting (BUT maybe replace Paula since she seems to like the young males-she drools far too much over them for her age)) and for the final two let the viewers vote?

IF the rumours are true that some got Kat's voice box when calling Chris' will the show admit to this and have a re-vote? (Not sure how that could ahve happened, tis why I tyoed IF).

The show to me has gone downhill these last couple of years and maybe there needs to be an overall of the judges?

Randy with his teenage: what's up dawg? is getting old real fast. Does anyone even say that anymore? And his bragging when ever there is a star on the show.

And Paula....well, she is self-explanatory....an over aged female acting like she is still 15.

Simon is crude but does manage to get some understandable critic out on the contestants even though it is limited to him saying: It's like a bad karoke or like a drunk at a wedding.

It seems to me that the last couple of years the show has focused on the dysfunctional family: Judges and the MC and the contestants are secondary.

Do the judges like one another and what they to one another scripted?? I do hope it is scripted otherwise all three are in serious need of some counseling in order for them to act their age/s.

Maybe the judges were cute becuse it was a younger group of contestants and viewers in the past but the age limit has been raised hence more of the *older* viewers are now tuning in.

But it all comes down to ratings.....you can bet more folks will vote next week than ever before because of what happened.

Will AI survive yet another controvery in their voting results to have yet another season? Time will tell.

bob_chester 243 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-12-06, 01:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bob_chester Click to send private message to bob_chester Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The Demise of American Idol"
The show is still top rated and will continue to rise as it nears the final. Chris was not liked that much. He has been really boring and deserved to get voted off. This show is about what the ppl who watch the show like not what the judges and just what you think. It is not like anyvbody in this group is going to be a real singing star. American Idol does not have a good track record.
Get off it. Fox knows what they are doing.

Yeah baby! the oh oh so great Chris finally got voted off.

BunnyBabe 8 desperate attention whore postings

05-12-06, 02:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail BunnyBabe Click to send private message to BunnyBabe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: The Demise of American Idol"
LAST EDITED ON 05-12-06 AT 02:46 AM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 05-12-06 AT 02:31 AM (EST)

Bob Dearest,

Your bias is showing. Though you are of course entitled to your opinion, the many reviews of Wednesday night's show prove that the American Idol judges, contestants, and millions of viewers are shocked by what happened with the voting. Something isn't right. And it isn't Chris Daughtry's performance -- which was by all standards, more than satisfactory (and that is more than can be said of Catherine's two performances Tuesday night).

Face it.... you admittedly don't like Chris. That is your prerogative. But your personal opinion is inconsistent with the tremendous outpouring of frustration and dismay over the questionable voting methods American Idol employs. The system is broken and needs to be fixed. Otherwise American Idol is going to continue losing credibility, until it completely loses its appeal.... and as a result, its enormous following.

And who knows..... your favorite contestant could be the next unwarranted tragedy.

tarmaq 127 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-12-06, 03:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tarmaq Click to send private message to tarmaq Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: The Demise of American Idol"
"And who knows..... your favorite contestant could be the next unwarranted tragedy."

TRAGEDY????? Maybe we should start a thread on what a "tragedy" actually is. A "tragedy" generally involves death, sickness, rape, torture, child abuse, financial ruin, a family break-up, a tsunami, a hurricane, earthquake, flood, someone getting killed by an alligator (current news), an act of terrorism, etc.

I don't think Chris not receiving the amount of votes his own fans think he should have gotten qualifies for a "tragedy."

For the record - I enjoyed Kat's performance better than Chris' Tuesday night. I'm sure I'm not alone. (She's still there!)

Just sayin'.

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-12-06, 08:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "Locking with warnings"
Do not post the same message multiple times - it is a violation of our community guidelines.

Unlock | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •