The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Is Kelly Yanking Our Chains?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

zzz 703 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

12-10-01, 03:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zzz Click to send private message to zzz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Is Kelly Yanking Our Chains?"
Kelly's post-E8 comments have been very suspicious to me. I have been reading different reports of things that she has said (see Kelly chat thread and others) and downloaded interviews (see What Does the Jury Know thread). I think others have also pointed out some of my concerns, but I was hoping someone could help me analyze this issue more fully.

Kelly seems to be talking as if she has NO idea what happens the rest of the game. She says things like "I am rooting for Frank" and "I hope Samburu can get its act together and boot the rest of Boran." Well-she knows if Frank made it to the finals. She knows if Samburu kicks off the rest of Boran. What is this woman up to?

She also says other contradictory things. In what appears to be two separate points in the same interview she says that if Brandon had voted with her, she (Kelly) would have gone (apparently willingly) in fifth place leaving the rest of old Samburu to fight it out. Then later she says she would have sided with KimP (her closest friend in old Samburu) to vote with Brandon and KimP to oust Frank and Teresa at final five and final four time.

At one point she says that she saw Lindsey in a restaurant but could not talk to her because of CBS rules against talking to other survivors. But then she talks about calling Lex and having a brief conversation with him after E8 aired.

What is up with Kelly? Is she just making things up to play with the audience? Can anyone figure her out? Is anything she says the truth?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Is Kelly Yanking Our Chains? Canada Girl 12-10-01 1
 RE: Is Kelly Yanking Our Chains? NightScribe 12-10-01 2
 RE: Is Kelly Yanking Our Chains? Afreaqua 12-10-01 3
 RE: Is Kelly Yanking Our Chains? gemstone 12-10-01 4
   RE: Is Kelly Yanking Our Chains? katem 12-11-01 5
       BRANDON & LEX = the new gay power c... Rose Red 12-11-01 7
           Creepy VampKira 12-11-01 8
               RE: Creepy Swami 12-11-01 9
                   Lex's friends AyaK 12-11-01 17
           ???????????????? drich61 12-11-01 13
               RE: ???????????????? red 12-11-01 14
                   Thanks Red drich61 12-11-01 15
 RE: Is Kelly Yanking Our Chains? fyrenice 12-11-01 6
   RE: Is Kelly Yanking Our Chains? Loree 12-11-01 10
 Here's What Gets Me... red 12-11-01 11
   RE: Here's What Gets Me... dabo 12-11-01 12
       Hey, dabo--long time no see! George Tirebiter 12-11-01 19
           totally off topic dabo 12-12-01 21
               RE: totally off topic (and back aga... George Tirebiter 12-12-01 31
 RE: Is Kelly Yanking Our Chains? Mumbo Jumbo 12-11-01 16
   Agree AyaK 12-11-01 18
       RE: Agree dabo 12-12-01 20
           RE: Agree Outfrontgirl 12-12-01 22
               I don't agree speedster22 12-12-01 23
                   RE: I don't agree Outfrontgirl 12-12-01 25
 Yes and No... Outfrontgirl 12-12-01 24
   Good points! anotherkim 12-12-01 26
   Agree, within limits AyaK 12-12-01 27
   RE: Yes and No... mockingbird 12-12-01 28
   RE: Yes and No... dabo 12-12-01 29
       RE: Yes and No... Outfrontgirl 12-12-01 30
   Kelly's Media Handlers TODDLJ 12-12-01 32
       RE: Kelly's Media Handlers George Tirebiter 12-12-01 33
           RE: Kelly's Media Handlers TODDLJ 12-12-01 34
           History AyaK 12-12-01 35
               RE: History TODDLJ 12-13-01 38
 12 days at Loser Lodge with Lex thebrain 12-13-01 36
   Lex is safe MC_Hampster 12-13-01 37

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Canada Girl 3340 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

12-10-01, 03:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Canada%20Girl Click to send private message to Canada%20Girl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Is Kelly Yanking Our Chains?"
LAST EDITED ON 12-10-01 AT 04:16 PM (EST)

I unfortunatly don't have any insight into this, but wanted to thank you for bringing it up, because it's been driving me nuts too.

Perhaps she is having so much fun been the centre of attention in the media that she is just blurting out what ever she thinks at that one time, regardless of other comments. MB should have her on a tighter leash if this is the case!

Edited to say Wooo hooo, 100 posting for me! These boards are so great, and you all rock!

NightScribe 761 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

12-10-01, 04:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail NightScribe Click to send private message to NightScribe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Is Kelly Yanking Our Chains?"
She could, quite possibly, be in on the MB misdirection team. Who knows? We should definitely take what all booted Survivors say with a grain of salt.

However, I think maybe she wasn't allowed to speak to Lindsey because Linz was voted off pre-merge. That's the only reason I can think of to explain the contradiction.

Afreaqua 181 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

12-10-01, 04:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Afreaqua Click to send private message to Afreaqua Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Is Kelly Yanking Our Chains?"
<<At one point she says that she saw Lindsey in a restaurant but could not talk to her because of CBS rules against talking to other survivors. But then she talks about calling Lex and having a brief conversation with him after E8 aired.>>

That's been bugging me too.

gemstone 70 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

12-10-01, 04:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail gemstone Click to send private message to gemstone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Is Kelly Yanking Our Chains?"
LAST EDITED ON 12-10-01 AT 04:49 PM (EST)

The interviews about Brandon's strategy from http://maui1.to/~survivor
have been around since Friday, why hasn't anyone seen them on their local stations? Maybe because they were edited before they were broadcast because they gave away that Brandon didn't make it to the F2.

Kelly was asked what she thought about Brandon's strategy. Maybe Brandon was booted early. She didn't know who voted for her for a long time, she thought it was Frank. So she didn't know at the time, Brandon's plan didn't work because they are not allowed to talk. She is seeing everything for the first time like us. When she found out late in the game, like she says, maybe she didn't know what his reasoning was for booting her because his plan made no sense to her. She couldn't talk to him about it because the jurors are not allowed to talk. She is telling us this almost like she is venting since she really had no one to talk to about this up until she was booted.

To me, she is saying that she thinks her plan of Kp\B\Ke F3 would have been a better way for Brandon to go and can't figure out why he didn't know this which to me means that he doesn't get to the F2 or maybe even the F4.

This is my opinion anyway.

Lindsey is a pre-merge boot so maybe she can't talk to them although Mitch and Tina got together last year. Maybe the rule was changed.

I just thought I'd add a possible scenario here to explain why Kelly would not know what is happening for at least 3-4 boots.

F8 TC Lex goes - Kelly thinks that the Samburu set her and Lex up. They convince Lex that she is jumping causing her to jump. She thinks the Samburu stayed together.

F7 TC Ethan goes - Well this doesn't help anything because he is an IC threat and F2 threat and she knew how close E\L were so he is an obvious boot. She still thinks Samburu are together. She still doesn't know who betrayed her.

F6 TC Frank goes - Brandon hates Frank and thows his vote to Frank with To\Kj because they are doing what Liz and Roger did last year with Jerri mean while he talks Samburu into going after Kim J. Kelly may now think there is a cross alliance going on. She's trying to think who they are but still doesn't know who betrayed her.

Next TC Brandon goes - (Don't know why, maybe because they think he would win because of the Kelly ouster strategy) Well it wasn't Brandon\Frank that betrayed me so it must have been Teresa or Kim P and maybe even Kim J and Tom helped. This is a good mix for Tom to advance. But she still doesn't know who betrayed her for sure but may now assume it was Teresa after connecting her to Lex's 2nd vote that started her downfall.

So now she thinks Teresa and Kim J are the ones that set her up, it's so obvious now. Then during the F2 questions or even not until after they actually make their votes, she finds out it was Brandon and she is floored because it makes no sense to her. Now she finally gets to vent that what Brandon did was so stupid.

katem 3315 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

12-11-01, 01:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail katem Click to send private message to katem Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Is Kelly Yanking Our Chains?"
LAST EDITED ON 12-11-01 AT 01:10 AM (EST)

>F6 TC Frank goes - Brandon
>hates Frank and thows his
>vote to Frank with To\Kj
>because they are doing what
>Liz and Roger did last
>year with Jerri mean while
>he talks Samburu into going
>after Kim J. Kelly may
>now think there is a
>cross alliance going on. She's
>trying to think who they
>are but still doesn't know
>who betrayed her.

I have read some posts that say Brandon would get rid of Frank before Tom. I do not see that happen. Even if Brandon despises Frank, he probably does so because he feels Frank is overbearing and bossy. But never forget that TOM is a complete homophobe, and do not be fooled by thinking that Brandon does not know this.

If I were Brandon I would be only do happy to get rid of Tom. I would do it in a second.

As for Kelly, do not believe a word that comes out of her mouth, she is playing with everyone. I would not be surprised if MB personally asked her to do it.

Rose Red 419 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

12-11-01, 01:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Rose%20Red Click to send private message to Rose%20Red Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "BRANDON & LEX = the new gay power couple?"
Well, Kelly's interviews have been driving me crazy all day, too, zzz. And everybody else.

First of all, in another thread, it has be deduced(concluded) that Kelly saw JERRI in a sushi bar in Hollywood. Lindsey lives in Oregon. JERRI lives in Hollywood. And that the Lindsey sighting was a TYPO. I'm a reporter. This DOES HAPPEN. However, an AOL-TIME WARNER publication like EW would have a fact-checker, and if indeed this was a typo and the fault of the person transcribing the interview, and the fact checker, THEY COULD BE FIRED! I don't mean to be PARANOID, but doesn't MITCHELL of S2 still work there, doing just this sort of thing? And he's still one of Jerri's few friends.
Somebody's in big trouble at EW if this is true.

Also, there was that Kelly Wiggles interview in TV Guide where she said she had met with Jerri, and thought from her comments that she hadn't won. MB was NOT happy about this, and perhaps created a new rule that CURRENT Survivors can't talk to FORMER Survivors till after the series ends.

But the other two bombshells, among MANY, is that Kelly said they didn't show Brandon staying up all night on watch with Lex LYING to Lex about her. And she was upset that they didn't show this.

Now I reference the Tom/Brandon campfire chat from the Recrap. Why was that included at all, I wondered? Well, it was because it wasn't what Tom and Brandon said to each other, it was what LEX and Brandon said (and maybe did) to each other on the next night's watch that was important . If not EARTH-SHATTERING!
I mean, Brandon's manipulation of Lex has turned the whole series upside down and now Brandon is really the central character, like Richard was in S1.

And that's not all!
Kelly goes on in her EW interview to say "Brandon was in love with Lex from the moment he walked in" or words to that effect.It's late, and I'm paraphrasing.
So goodness knows what ELSE Brandon was manipulating of Lex's that night besides his MIND. I mean, didn't it seem a little out of character for Brandon SUDDENLY to be staying up all night on all those watches, when he'd sleep til noon back in the daze of the Mallrats?

Also, vis a vis the ever-revealing early show comments, did anybody else besides me notice how nervous they(the "reporters")got when Brandon's name came up, and how quickly the subject was changed? So it wasn't just Kelly who was nervous about discussing this. That sent up a red flare saying there was something important here that THEY know that's coming up and we don't.

And I think it's this.

The question is = is Brandon sleeping his way to the top of Survivor, or in this case, the middle of Survivor?
THIS is maybe what Jeff Pee meant when he said that "Brandon's sexuality was going to become an issue."

We just saw the tip of the iceberg last week. Just wait til the entire tribe reaps the whirlwind from the fall-out of Kelly's booting this week! All hell is about to break lose,and I bet MB is dancing on air with his new "Twist" finally hitting paydirt! I can't wait for Thursday night!

VampKira 4433 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

12-11-01, 10:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail VampKira Click to send private message to VampKira Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "Creepy"
And that's not all!
Kelly goes on in her EW interview to say "Brandon was in love with Lex from the moment he walked in" or words to that effect.It's late, and I'm paraphrasing.
So goodness knows what ELSE Brandon was manipulating of Lex's that night besides his MIND. I mean, didn't it seem a little out of character for Brandon SUDDENLY to be staying up all night on all those watches, when he'd sleep til noon back in the daze of the Mallrats?

You know, as creepy as this is... it makes me wonder too.

Brandon was awful quick to side with Lex, and your comment about him formerly sleeping till noon was SO on. Who's to say what happened while the rest were sleeping, but at the very least, I'd wager Lex in some way "led" Brandon on sexually.

After witnessing his pyschotic "I'll find out who the rat is!!" episode. I would put nothing past Lex. At first he was laughable.....now he's just plain scary! *shudder*

*wink*

Swami 5885 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-11-01, 12:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Creepy"

>Who's
>to say what happened while
>the rest were sleeping, but
>at the very least, I'd
>wager Lex in some way
>"led" Brandon on sexually.

I see the opposite--Brandon leading Lex on--as more likely. Brandon is more of a social manipulator than Lex is, and more likely to succeed in this, and capitalize on a mixture or friendship & sexual innuendo. Lex seems entirely lacking in subtlty--witness his little pre-boot chats with Clarence & Kelly which both backfired & cost him votes. Remember early on, right after the merge when Brandon was trying to draw LTK's votes to himself rather than Lindsay? Lex took Brandon for a little walk & told him that he (Lex) really liked him, and it was nothing personal if they had to vote for Brandon. A typical non-subtle move for Lex, and also shows that he had a high regard for Brandon at that point. (Was this before the Tom/Brandon campfire scene? I think so, but I can't remember for sure.)

Anyway, the question is, can Brandon continue to lead Lex along? If he sticks, or pretends to stick with Lex this week, he could split the Boran vote for the first time. (Kelly was kicked out of alliance by Lex; her vote for Lex doesn't count as a split vote.)

Brandon convinces Lex that he really thought it was Kelly, and somebody else must have set her up. Maybe another woman, like MammaKim, who seems closer to Ethan than Lex, set up Kelly. Or he convinces Lex that Tom was protecting MammaKim (or Teresa, or ?) to preserve an alliance that Lex knows nothing about. If he can convince Lex that the old vote-by-tribal-alliance strategy is dead, then Brandon has created a whole new ballgame stategy wise.

Either of these would appeal to the ever-paranoid Lex. Tom has said in preview that Lex's loyalty to Boran seems to be wavering(I forget his exact words.) Is a Boran split about to happen? Leading to another unexpected bootee, and cross-tribal vote?

This would seem stupid, but maybe there really is another smaller alliance that could capitalize on a Boran split. Maybe an inter-tribal alliance that we are still clueless about? MB would love that; it would make the twist a resounding success (so he twisted again in Nuku Hiva, as rumored) and set the scene for a '"most satisfying Survivor yet" (Sorry, again I forget MB's exact words in describing S3, but they were something to that effect.) I can't wait for Thursday!!

Swami

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings

12-11-01, 11:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "Lex's friends"
Without going into too much detail about something that someone else posted, let me say that I have heard it on good authority that Lex has many openly gay friends in the Bay Area and thus would be comfortable around Brandon in a way that Tom or Frank would not be.

Going from fact to speculation ... I agree that this could have led Lex to think that Brandon would be less likely to lie to him, thus making it possible for Brandon to manipulate his vote. If that's the case, Lex got a rude awakening at the end of the last episode.

drich61 558 desperate attention whore postings

12-11-01, 07:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail drich61 Click to send private message to drich61 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "????????????????"
>it was what LEX
>and Brandon said (and maybe
>did) to each other on
>the next night's watch that
>was important . If not
>EARTH-SHATTERING!
>I mean, Brandon's manipulation of Lex
>has turned the whole series
>upside down and now Brandon
>is really the central character,
>like Richard was in S1.
>
>
>And that's not all!
>Kelly goes on in her EW
>interview to say "Brandon was
>in love with Lex from
>the moment he walked in"
>or words to that effect.It's
>late, and I'm paraphrasing.
>So goodness knows what ELSE Brandon
>was manipulating of Lex's that
>night besides his MIND. I
>mean, didn't it seem a
>little out of character for
>Brandon SUDDENLY to be staying
>up all night on all
>those watches, when he'd sleep
>til noon back in the
> daze of the Mallrats?

>And I think it's this.
>
>The question is = is Brandon
>sleeping his way to the
>top of Survivor, or in
>this case, the middle of
>Survivor?
>THIS is maybe what Jeff Pee
>meant when he said that
>"Brandon's sexuality was going to
>become an issue."

Yes, of course you are right, we all know heterasexuals can make it 39 days without sex. There is no way homosexuals can do it, of course Brandon has been blowing and screwing every guy in camp, he would explode if he didn't get his daily fix. What the Hell are you talking about?

The only part of what you said that makes any sense is that Brandon's sexuality was one of the main factors in what happened last week. As I had stated in my first post on these boards, I felt that the odds of 2 of the first 3 ultimate survivors being gay men were astronomical. I thing that was Brandon's thinking going in as well, he would have thought second was the best he could hope for. Would someone who was playing to win have risked pissing off that many jurors this early in the game, game logic say NO. If we have our first player playing for second place (because of his sexuality being an issue), then all the logical rules for playing the game to win go out the window, as we saw last week. Now PLEASE get your mind out of the gutter and keep it out.

red 140 desperate attention whore postings

12-11-01, 08:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail red Click to send private message to red Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: ????????????????"
Okay - hold up a minute. Brandon is playing for second place because he's gay? That's just as bad as what Rose said.

Would you say that any woman in the game would clearly be playing for second place because clearly a woman can't win two out of three times? No, but your comment is not really any different. It's bad enough people on this board think Brandon can't win because he's gay, but now you're saying that Brandon himself KNOWS he cant' win because he's gay.

And Rose - you really have to stop trying to "out" Survivors. First Ethan, and now you're outing Lex too? Men can be friends with gay men and not actually have sex with them. You seem to be extrapolating that old stereotype that all gay men are horny perverts. The only horny pervert on this show is Big Tom. But even crazier than the theory that Brandon can't talk to another man without wanting sex, is the theory that any man on the show who would talk to Brandon must feel the same.

I'm sorry all, but this is going to be my crusade. Enough with the gay bashing and stereotypes.

drich61 558 desperate attention whore postings

12-11-01, 10:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail drich61 Click to send private message to drich61 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "Thanks Red"
No I do not think a woman can't win, in fact I think one does. But my explanation of how Brandon's sexuality (MIGHT) come into play has far great possibility than the previous post.

fyrenice 91 desperate attention whore postings

12-11-01, 01:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail fyrenice Click to send private message to fyrenice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Is Kelly Yanking Our Chains?"
I have also noticed this. On the late show, she decidedly seemed to think she knew the winner. This makes me think that they are allowed to talk. I just see Burnett liking the fact that it doesn't end for them when a person is voted off, but what is also carried back to the jury by new bootees playing a factor.
Kelly seems much to smart to pull a Diana. Much more likely, she is getting positively devilish enjoyment out of messing with people's minds. You never know maybe she is hoping that if she does a good enough job that Burnett will decide he needs a behavioral analysis on his crew!! After all did she not say that Survivor was like an addiction for her.

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

12-11-01, 01:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Is Kelly Yanking Our Chains?"
I think Kelly is having fun with her interviews. She says she loves to observe people and see how they intereact. And we know she would love to pull the strings and tease the viewers. I think her and MB are having a wonderful time. She is probably feeding us all sorts of false clues.

red 140 desperate attention whore postings

12-11-01, 01:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail red Click to send private message to red Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "Here's What Gets Me..."
Her comment about not knowing for the longest time that Brandon voted for her. If this is true - huh?

Okay, with Teresa I can believe it was kept a secret, if for no reason other than this: right now Teresa is the only player in the game who KNOWS who threw that vote.

Now, based on previews we've seen for next week, it seems pretty clear to me (or is it?) that everyone left in the game will know the vote that took out Kelly came from Brandon. If this is true, then why wouldn't Kelly find out immediately from the next person voted out?

Conclusion: don't trust a word she says.

It's also possible that she just never asked and was just never told. And the off possibility that for some odd reason, Brandon's vote becomes a mystery like Teresa's did.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

12-11-01, 02:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Here's What Gets Me..."
Conclusion: don't trust a word she says.
Agreed.

This thing about not being in contact with others is contradictory; the jury members are prohibited from sharing information with pre-jury booties, of course, so perhaps Kelly was just being extra careful by not having any contact with Lindsey (and perhaps MB especially warned them not to interact with certain pre-jury flakes).

From her own statements, Kelly and her family are "Survivor" fans (unlike some of the cast who seemingly never saw the show before), so she has had plenty of time to contemplate what strategies she might have played out had she not been booted. She also, naturally, sees things from her own perspective, so her contention that the actual alliance in Boran was L/E/K/K (OFG's Kelly chat thread) rather than L/E/T could simply mean they fooled her.

About Brandon's vote, however, it is possible that she didn't ask or even think about it, but the bootie who followed her in ep 9 would certainly be a strong indicator to her if it were a Samburu of who didn't vote for her. Unless all alliances break completely down and everyone scrambles to reallign, there is almost no way Brandon can be the next bootie; the only possible scenario for that would be Lex misdirecting Brandon's vote (say to Frank) while the four Boran vote for Brandon (and perhaps recruit the other Samburu to vote for him as well). Actually, now that I put that in words, given the craziness we've already seen exhibited, it is possible. Unlikely, though, but I got off my point. Agreed, Kelly is being deceptive.

"If all machines were to be annihilated at one moment, so that not a knife nor lever nor rag of clothing nor anything whatsoever were left to man but his bare body alone that he was born with, and if all knowledge of mechanical laws were taken from him so that he could make no more machines, and all machine-made food destroyed so that the race of man should be left as it were naked upon a desert island, we should become extinct in six weeks. A few miserable individuals might linger, but even these in a year or two would become worse than monkeys." (Samuel Butler, "Erewhon")

George Tirebiter 2982 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

12-11-01, 11:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail George%20Tirebiter Click to send private message to George%20Tirebiter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "Hey, dabo--long time no see!"
Just what I was going to point out: Kelly has admitted that she and her family are genuine Survivor fanatics, so coupled with her "behavioral science" bent (her father is also in the field, no?) I would guess that she's a prime candidate as a tool for MB misdirection. She LOVES the scheming--Dicque and Soozin are her all-time favorite Survivors, fer cryin' out loud!--and I think she's guaranteed to milk her experience in every way possible; her boot was NOT the end of Survivor for this girl! And given her obvious enjoyment of her Letterman appearance, I would guess she won't be content to hurry back to her job editing books.

GT

12-12-01, 00:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "totally off topic"
Hi, George, I posted a Beatles link on the SantaVivor thresd in OT, you and OFG and any other Beatles fans should check it out. Nice to see you too (last week's total abandonment of any strategical logic still has me reeling, howsabout you).

12-12-01, 03:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail George%20Tirebiter Click to send private message to George%20Tirebiter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: totally off topic (and back again)"
Sorry I missed it, dabs--the OT hasn't been much of a draw, lately. . . But YES!--this group of nitwits is a real head-spinner! Although logic is not necessarily my M.O., I can't believe they would go into this without poring over the previous series (wear out the DVD, fer cryin' out loud! take copious notes--at the very least, on the repetetive challenges and patterns of the game!) but Kelly is the only one I'm aware of who admits she's been a fan of the show. In many ways, these people seem to have LESS of a clue than the S1 neophytes! Duhhhhh. . . "strategy?" Whut's that? Maybe it's a backlash against the ugliness we saw from the start--these people are rebelling against office-type politics and trying to win on personalities alone? Can you imagine siging up as a contestant, as a casual viewer--or NON-viewer--of the game?! Ack!

Back to Kelly (and this has little or no Spoiler value): I managed to stay awake for her appearance on Kilbourne, last night, and not only did she reiterate the "Lex is a decent guy IRL" comments, she had very little opportunity to let anything else slip--Craig mainly scolded her for being overly perky/hyper, talking so fast that he couldn't make sense of anything she said, and for obviously being on a lingering high from her Letterman appearance the night before. It was actually quite refreshing--and she DID seem especially wired. She repeated that she hates camping (he said she looks like someone who would be more apt to specialize in SHOPPING) and loves the show--the intrigue, the scheming.

And her big shocker? She was known in school as the AlwaysPerfectEverythingGirl (or something equally inane--I can't find it online yet for the exact quote)--and yes, I think it IS necessary to say that as quickly as possible, for the proper effect.

In all, she gave the impression of someone still very close to her adolescence--nowhere near as poised or gracious as she's tried to appear elsewhere. But hey--it was late, and she was probably trying to compete with the latest nude PETA poster girl. . .

GT

*re-enacts the MMT bus scene with John and the fingers, just for coonhead and OFG: "GeorgeGeorgeGeorgeWHOOPS!GeorgeWHOOPS!GeorgeWHOOPS!GeorgeGeorgeGeorgeWHOOPS!"

Mumbo Jumbo 270 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

12-11-01, 11:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Mumbo%20Jumbo Click to send private message to Mumbo%20Jumbo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Is Kelly Yanking Our Chains?"

>At one point she says that
>she saw Lindsey in a
>restaurant but could not talk
>to her because of CBS
>rules against talking to other
>survivors. But then she
>talks about calling Lex and
>having a brief conversation with
>him after E8 aired.

What about Kelly and Silas being good friends who spend a lot of time together in LA? One is a pre-jury and one a post jury boot. How could they still be friends if they haven't been able to talk since the wrap party? I think it wasn't Lindsey she saw in the restaurant either but Kelly or Jerri from another Survivor.

12-11-01, 11:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "Agree"
As I discussed before, this had to be a typo ... as someone else already pointed out in this thread, Lindsey lives in Oregon, so Kelly would be unlikely to see Lindsey in a restaurant. MB's rule on segregating pre-jury boots from jury members was just in effect during the game, not once it's over ... and we know that Kelly and Silas have seen episodes of S3 together.

Would someone get fired for this error, as implied earlier? Well, I read a Boston Globe article over Thanksgiving that said that women's fashion in the U.S. "is literally eating away at the backbone of American women." Hey, the day you find a woman whose backbone has literally been eaten by fashion is the day that I win the lottery. Bad editing is endemic.

Would Kelly have lied in her interview? Sure. She probably did when she said that she was "rooting for Frank." But just because the rest of what she told us in inconsistent with certain theories doesn't make it a lie.

12-12-01, 00:15 AM (EST)
20. "RE: Agree"
Not having read the original report of the sighting, I'm at a disadvantage, but Lindsey did have her week in the media spotlight after her boot, starting with her appearance on "The Early Show." I don't know if they go to California or just stay in New York the whole time, but just because someone lives in Oregon that doesn't mean they can't visit friends in California, or go meet with an agent in CA after the New York week (en route back to Oregon) or tape a mountain biking show commercial or something (there are plenty of reasons why Lindsey might have been in a restaurant in LA). I'm not discounting the typo explanation, however; though why Kelly or any of them would be prohibited from having contact with another bootie, when they all were able to get together at the wrap party and exchange emails, isn't even worth trying to figure out.

SMILES ARE FREE

"If all machines were to be annihilated at one moment, so that not a knife nor lever nor rag of clothing nor anything whatsoever were left to man but his bare body alone that he was born with, and if all knowledge of mechanical laws were taken from him so that he could make no more machines, and all machine-made food destroyed so that the race of man should be left as it were naked upon a desert island, we should become extinct in six weeks. A few miserable individuals might linger, but even these in a year or two would become worse than monkeys." (Samuel Butler, "Erewhon")

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings

12-12-01, 04:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Agree"
LAST EDITED ON 12-12-01 AT 05:01 AM (EST)

dabo--
This is all becoming confused in discussion, but it's really not that hard to lay to rest as a non-issue I think. You can check the EW interview excerpt on the Kelly's Chat Highlights thread I posted, near the end.

The reason we can tell it's Jerri referred to and not Lindsey is not just the setting but the topic. Kelly is talking about wanting to get into show business and the reporter says something like (paraphrase) "maybe Lindsey could help you?"
(Which makes no sense. I say she asked if Jerri could help, and the question was probably a little bitchy, don't you think? Then Jerri got transcribed as Lindsey after the fact, my theory.)

So Kelly says she had an ethical dilemma when she saw her eating sushi and wanted to go up and talk to her (about future career moves) but was forbidden by her CBS contract to talk to any of the "survivors." Kelly doesn't use a name in her answer, just a feminine pronoun.

Anyway, clearly she talks to all the Africa people but CBS has the new people under contract to stay away from the former Survivors--eager to leak tidbits media whores with nothing to lose that they are... makes total sense.

Jerri fits the bill for the typo. LA, show business, similarity to Lindsey aka bi!ch, female...

There's good stuff to speculate on about Kelly yanking our chains, but this is just an instance of something from nothing.

The Africa people talk to each other. Last season they were forbidden to tell each other their final jury votes; that's probably still in place. There may be some rules as to what jury people can tell non-jury people, don't know. But Kelly did not say the name Lindsey in the transcript, as you will see if you check the post. Kelly is not spinning this particular confusion.

Edited to say I saw your post to GT about the Beatles. Thanks! although I'm not one who likes Xmas songs by pop artists, even artists I love. But I am a huge fan of that Arlo Guthrie song from way back... I have a good Arlo story and I'll post it if I get a chance.

speedster22 11 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

12-12-01, 05:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail speedster22 Click to send private message to speedster22 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "I don't agree"
Well, I don't think I agree with kelly meeting jerri and not lindsey... I really don't think that they would typo JERRI and LINDSEY... how can you get the name so wrong????? They don't have the same first letter, there is NOTHING in common between either names. I think the Kelly saw Lindsey BEFORE the start of Survivor three on TV and before survivor they weren't allowed to see each other in person and ESPECIALLY not in public. E-mailing, phoning and letter writing is allowed because it's private... unless you're some private eye that has no life, the survivor producers wouldn't go as far as to ban the survivors from communicating with their fellow survivors at all. This explanation makes soooo much more logical sense than this whole jerri thing.

BUT I do think the kelly is having a bit of fun in her interviews. When she says she's rooting for frank, that doesn't necessarily mean he'll make it far. I have a feeling brandon will figure out a way to boot him off before the final four episode. I think frank and kelly got to know each other better when frank got booted within the next three episodes. This way she got to know him when the mallrats weren't around.

AND when kelly said that she would have voted with brandon and kimp against either frank or teresa, she was lying. This is exactly why brandon didn't want kelly in the final five with him. Kimp was the one that kelly was communicating with and so it's not hard to assume that kimp and kelly would have bonded further. This would give kelly the perfect opportunity to split kimp and brandon up at final five and go with t and frank and vote off brandon. This way in final four, kelly would vote with kimp to vote off frank or t and kimp would have to go along because she knows that frank and t are targeting her and she has no choice. Kelly WOULD vote with kimp because she knows that frank and t are such a tight alliance.

Anywho, I think that brandon figured since kelly was so devious when lindsey got voted out, that he figured kelly was capable of betraying him but lex wouldn't be so devious. Kelly was probably thinking that by going with samburu, she was assured final five and then she would have to do something on the final five episode to assure her a final three. Kelly was smart enough to think of this option I'm positive.

12-12-01, 06:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: I don't agree"
speedster--
I promise this is my last post on this quote, and I think your speculation in the rest of your post is good and interesting stuff, but--if anyone goes and looks at the actual context in the EW interview you will see why your speculation at the beginning doesn't make sense.

Kelly was talking about a recent sighting of someone who might help her with their entertainment world connections. Kelly was talking about how she's always been into theater. Like Jerri.

That would not relate to Lindsey before the show started or even Lindsey now. Kelly already hangs out with Silas, aspiring actor, so Lindsey is way down at the bottom of the "connections" ladder, except maybe as a Mountain bike or athletic wear endorser...

As for name confusions, they happen for lots of reasons, a common one being association. Maybe you have a person transcribing who just finished an article full of references to Lindsey. More likely, Lindsey and Jerri were comparable in being edited as the obnoxious abrasive girls in camp and the person has them mentally linked ...

LOL, everyone is free to think what they want, so I'll stop now.

12-12-01, 06:22 AM (EST)
24. "Yes and No..."
Kelly's not the first bootee to say she's rooting for someone or that she hopes someone gets what they deserve, and thus act like she has no idea what happens. The other option is to keep saying "I can't tell you anything." She's done both.

It's understood by the interviewer, the bootee, and the audience about the secrecy rules. So when she says on Kilborn tonight, yeah, maybe Lex bites it this week, I hope so, she's not yanking anyone really. She's playing the role of a viewer of Ep 8 who's got a personal--very personal--opinion. As she's supposed to do.

I put the "I'm rooting for Frank" comment in the exact same category, along with any other comment about who wins or continues on that appears to tell the future. We're not to take it seriously nor should we get on her case for doing it. That's the PR game.

Also, when they interview her about what Lex and Brandon were thinking by voting her off--why did Brandon do it, we should take her reply, IMO, as if spoken right after seeing what was in the episode and with no future information. That's the position of knowledge she's allowed to have for purposes of her contract, and from which she can speculate.

Brandon's vote for her was shown on the show, and his statement he would make the Final 4 seems to intimate he's got a Final 4 plan as a Boran ally.

To know that he actually was referring to Samburu as his tribe when he voted--one has to see the Insider clips. These are not part of Kelly's official database, whether or not she has now seen them. (And if I were her, I'd find a way.)

So she says, his strategy seems weak. He would have done better with me and Samburu than with Boran. That's the perspective of someone who just watched the show and is predicting what's likely to unfold from that point, given the knowledge she has of what HAD transpired up to that point. That's how we should take it, IMHO, and not as a revelation of the future.

All the bootees can give us some information about how they felt in the game up to the point of their boot though--what they had planned, their allies, who they liked. Quite likely they are instructed not to reveal some key alliances if Burnett is hiding them on purpose and they have not yet been exposed. I think it depends on whether the bootee judges the info to refer to a dead issue. We had a plan, etc.. We can still learn quite a lot from such statements though, no?

I think Kelly can tell us a lot between the lines. Why? Because extremely bright, fast talking and thinking people believe they are smart enough to screen their comments for spoiler content and venture to say more than someone who's a little slower in the noggin and knows they need to be cautious.

Kelly's the kind of person to make a lawyer nervous if they were defending her deposition--she WANTS to talk and isn't intimidated and won't answer in the safest possible manner. She has it all sorted out in her head what happened when, and when she knew what, and what her contract allows her to say, and she's dancing confidently within that framework as she edits her remarks, IMO.

(Said as one former National Merit Finalist/SAT whiz of another--you get over-confident when you have a near-perfect memory, as I did when I was 22 like Kelly and had a lot more brain cells than I do now...)

In Kelly's case she gets so excited and animated and fast-talking I can see how she might get carried away and say too much--thus necessitating some editing of her clips.

As for her flat-out lying to us:
I agree that Kelly is mischievous and likes to play with people's heads, and she likes to create drama. I also think she'd find far less pleasure in garden variety lying than in demonstrating she can juggle with all those balls of knowledge in the air. I think she enjoys the high wire, might be a better metaphor...

So when she's talking about the daily life at the lodge, about who she likes and talks to now, she thinks she is being very cagey about everything, but the closer something hits her on an emotional level, the more she may reveal.

For example, I don't think she's only pretending to like Frank, Brandon and Kim or only pretending she still hurts from MamaKim's turning on her. I think she does like Ethan (at least until she sees that Insider clip on the bus), but never really got close to him. Also with facial expressions and body language in response to questions--she's too hyper to really control those aspects of her expression.

As for the why she didn't find out who voted for whom--that she clears up in the clips linked above at
http://maui1.to/~survivor/
(thanks for the link!): Kelly on Jury Rules.

"We're not allowed to talk about what led up to their expulsion or what happened during those three days. We're not allowed to talk about it."

Interesting. So Burnett wants each juror to gather their information about what's been going on at TC only.
That doesn't surprise me. Can we say manipulation, with Probst lobbing the questions HE wants asked and answered?

In other words, it's run like a trial, and TC is the courtroom, and the jurors aren't supposed to compare theories with each other while on duty even though they're sequestered together or in any way get info from sources not "allowed into evidence."

I can see that as a concept. Also, how much pressure does that put on people at TC? Serious pressure to say the right things, which usually makes people blurt out the wrong things...

Anyway, that explains why Kelly wouldn't learn who voted for her unless it was mentioned at TC or after the vote at the wrap party--when maybe some of the history can be shared because the winner has been finalized, even though not revealed.

And yes, people always talk when they're not supposed to, some more than others. But we're probably on better speculative ground if we assume they don't share.

Kelly does know the boot order, sees the whole TC, and votes on the Final 2. She ought to know who wins if there's any appreciable popularity gap between the finalists.

Disclaimer: everything I just said may be BS, but any chain-yanking was purely inadvertent, as I have no idea what happens.

anotherkim 14420 desperate attention whore postings

12-12-01, 10:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail anotherkim Click to send private message to anotherkim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "Good points!"
I think Kelly is enjoying her moment and will play it for all she is worth, but she isn't stupid and there will be no mega leaks that can get her into trouble.

I think the only thing you can assume is that from her comment about knowing who wins, there must be a popular person vs. an unpopular one. Problem is, we don't know who has really become the pariah at this point....we can assume Lex, Brandon or maybe Teresa if her vote is discovered, but with so much left to transpire and the editing done the way it is, who knows what could happen. I remember in S2 being soundly drummed for saying that Jerri would vote for Tina (ah, the glory in being right for once) because no one thought Jerri liked or respected Tina and she was still loyal to Colby. Who knows what is going on that we still haven't seen.

Great post, OFG!

Kim

12-12-01, 10:59 AM (EST)
27. "Agree, within limits"
LAST EDITED ON 12-12-01 AT 04:51 PM (EST)

>All the bootees can give us some information about how they
>felt in the game up to the point of their
>boot though--what they had planned, their allies, who they
>liked. Quite likely they are instructed not to reveal some
>key alliances if Burnett is hiding them on purpose and
>they have not yet been exposed.

We know that Mitchell gave away the possibility of a Tina-Colby alliance last year, but he never expressly told us that such an alliance existed ... and he definitely could have done so. Thus, I think this is a correct assumption.

>I think Kelly can tell us a lot between the lines.
> Why? Because extremely bright, fast talking and thinking
>people believe they are smart enough
>to screen their comments for spoiler content and venture to
>say more than someone who's a little slower in the
>noggin and knows they need to be cautious.

We have also heard authoritatively (though I won't say where) that Brandon and Kelly read the spoiler boards, which accounts for Kelly's use of the term "mall rats". She would know the theories that are being speculated about on the boards.

>Kelly's the kind of person to make a lawyer nervous if
>they were defending her deposition--she WANTS to talk and isn't
>intimidated and won't answer in the safest possible manner.
>She has it all sorted out in her head what
>happened when, and when she knew what, and what her
>contract allows her to say, and she's dancing confidently
>within that framework as she edits her remarks, IMO.

...agreed, and that's part of the reason that I give her remarks greater creedence.

>As for her flat-out lying to us:
>I agree that Kelly is mischievous and likes to play with
>people's heads, and she likes to create drama. I
>also think she'd find far less pleasure in garden variety
>lying than in demonstrating she can juggle with all those
>balls of knowledge in the air. I think she
>enjoys the high wire, might be a better metaphor...

I'm not necessarily sure that this is true. I think Kelly, like most of the survivors (even Jerri/tacobambi), wants us to like her. She has learned from reading the boards that most of us are very impressed with her and that, along with Ethan, she is probably the most popular of the survivors (although not without her detractors). I don't think she'd jeopardize that popularity by creating false impressions about herself, even if it was inadvertent.

>So when she's talking about the daily life at the lodge,
>about who she likes and talks to now, she thinks
>she is being very cagey about everything, but the closer
>something hits her on an emotional level, the more she
>may reveal.

See, I don't think she's trying to be cagey here. I think she's being honest ... but, as you put it, honest within the limits of what she is allowed to say at this time.

>For example, I don't think she's only pretending to like Frank,
>Brandon and Kim or only pretending she still hurts from
>MamaKim's turning on her. I think she does like
>Ethan (at least until she sees that Insider clip on
>the bus), but never really got close to him.

Yeah, I agree. And I don't think the Insider clip will change her opinion of Ethan. After all, Ethan is trying to talk Lex OUT of voting Kelly out, and Ethan did have good reason to worry about the Kelly-Kim P. relationship, because Kim P. really was trying to turn Kelly to Samburu!

>"We're not allowed to talk about what led up to their
>expulsion or what happened during those three days. We're
>not allowed to talk about it."

I find this a little surprising, because we KNOW that Jerri was lobbying fellow jury members Alicia and Amber heavily, and her lobbying decided the game, when Alicia voted for Tina. I wonder if this rule is a response to that?

>Interesting. So Burnett wants each juror to gather their
>information about what's been going on at TC only.
>That doesn't surprise me. Can we say manipulation, with Probst
>lobbing the questions HE wants asked and answered?

We also know that we see only a very small, and heavily edited, portion of TC. Supposedly Jeffy asks LOTS of questions, trying to elicit usable answers, and there are also production delays and problems. It isn't just the little bit that makes it to the air.

>Kelly does know the boot order, sees the whole TC, and
>votes on the Final 2. She ought to know
>who wins if there's any appreciable popularity gap between the
>finalists.

Yep. Unfortunately, there are lots of possibilities, because there are a lot of more popular and less popular people left in the game right now!

Thanks for sharing these thoughts, OFG!

mockingbird 61 desperate attention whore postings

12-12-01, 02:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mockingbird Click to send private message to mockingbird Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Yes and No..."
Well said. I totally agree with you.

12-12-01, 02:48 PM (EST)
29. "RE: Yes and No..."
>So she says, his strategy seems
>weak. He would have
>done better with me and
>Samburu than with Boran.
>That's the perspective of someone
>who just watched the show
>and is predicting what's likely
>to unfold from that point,
>given the knowledge she has
>of what HAD transpired up
>to that point. That's
>how we should take it,
>IMHO, and not as a
>revelation of the future.
I agree. I also think it is imperative that we take into account that these booties can only view things from their own perspectives. My tendancy is to regard questions about what others were thinking, for example, as a waste of time, since at best the person being asked the question can only base an answer on what has been seen already on the show and how she or he interacted with another person who is playing the game.
>
>I think Kelly can tell us
>a lot between the lines.
> Why? Because extremely bright,
>fast talking and thinking people
>believe they are smart enough
>to screen their comments for
>spoiler content and venture to
>say more than someone who's
>a little slower in the
>noggin and knows they need
>to be cautious.
>
>Kelly's the kind of person to
>make a lawyer nervous if
>they were defending her deposition--she
>WANTS to talk and isn't
>intimidated and won't answer in
>the safest possible manner.
>She has it all sorted
>out in her head what
>happened when, and when she
>knew what, and what her
>contract allows her to say,
>and she's dancing confidently within
>that framework as she edits
>her remarks, IMO.
>
>In Kelly's case she gets so
>excited and animated and fast-talking
>I can see how she
>might get carried away and
>say too much--thus necessitating some
>editing of her clips.
>
>As for her flat-out lying to
>us:
>I agree that Kelly is mischievous
>and likes to play with
>people's heads, and she likes
>to create drama. I
>also think she'd find far
>less pleasure in garden variety
>lying than in demonstrating she
>can juggle with all those
>balls of knowledge in the
>air. I think she
>enjoys the high wire, might
>be a better metaphor...
Okay, I can see that; she's not lying per se, but she is engaged in verbal slight of hand, so to speak, trying to mislead. The problem I have is when she starts contradicting herself, are these the points where she's messing up or are they part of the act? She's smart enough that once she realized she had started contradicting herself she may have made it part of the act.
>
>Kelly on
>Jury Rules.
>
>"We're not allowed to talk about
>what led up to their
>expulsion or what happened during
>those three days. We're
>not allowed to talk about
>it."
How would such a rule be enforced, are they confined to the lodge and is it bugged like the BigBrother house, or is this on the honor system? Weird. It's always bugged me that in S1 ep 13 Greg talked about watching Kelly go through all her personality shifts when he was the first one on the jury and only saw Kelly in that respect while at TC. I'd much rather they be allowed to gather as much information as possible and even watch the game proceedings on live-feed monitors as I had in BV (though I can see why MB wouldn't want to risk something like that); even though we only see a very condensed form of the TC these things aren't like trials and the players are on guard throughout, this just doesn't seem right to me.
>
Anyway, I read the stuff on the chat thread that wasn't there the last time I'd read it, it seems, and the typo explanation seems to be right. Darn Verizon and these slow logons that seems to hit with the weather, sometimes I can't even get a post to take.

12-12-01, 03:25 PM (EST)
30. "RE: Yes and No..."
thanks everyone, and dabo I agree with you about the jury arrangement being strange and hard to enforce. I would think it's the honor system but there's a lot at stake if you get caught. I know it would make me crazy not to get to talk things over or learn about what went on.

AyaK, thanks for your detailed comments, and I basically agreed with everything you said and learned some new things about survivor players reading the boards and about Jerri lobbying Alicia. I never heard that when it came out.

One comment I made I obviously expressed poorly, as AyaK and dabo both took it to mean I think Kelly's misleading us on purpose.

>I agree that Kelly is mischievous and likes to play with
>people's heads, and she likes to create drama. I also think she'd find far less pleasure in garden variety
>lying than in demonstrating she can juggle with all those
>balls of knowledge in the air. I think she enjoys the high wire, might be a better metaphor...

I was trying (in a tired way) to keep an open mind that she might be playing with us, since I don't know her, and a number of people seem to think she is, but:

My personal inclination is to believe Kelly and I was trying to say there's satisfaction to be had in telling the truth as much as you can given the rules--that's what I meant by the juggling and high wire. I wasn't saying she's trying to mislead us.
I would like to think not. I can't be sure though. By "cagey" I also meant working withing the rules about what she can say and was not implying she was trying to hide stuff from us.

I "caginess" applies to being very careful with CBS, which is watching her. Hope that makes my idea more clear.

I like Kelly a lot and I thought she was entertaining when she kvetched about people and I love that she was so smart. I will miss her presence on the show. My main purpose in posting was to say let's not get caught up in seeing her as a manipulator, so let me make it clear that I'm a Kelly fan.

She played the game really straight up, I thought. She didn't go around lying to people in the game, except sometimes being quiet about her loyalties where she had to be circumspect, and she stayed true to her original alliance. She was ousted because Lex is a paranoid idiot, IMO. Neither do I like KimJ for what she did to Kelly. Brandon's part in the ouster--that falls under the "all's fair" rubric as far as I'm concerned, which is probably why Kelly still likes him.

The main thing I'm focused on with the Kelly spoilers would be how to place Frank, Brandon, and KimP, and maybe Tom at the lodge, but not Teresa. Samburu must blow it's current edge and Teresa must make a cross-alliance.

Yes, AyaK, it could be as simple as Brandon ousting Frank this week. I just wish they hadn't shown B talking about how much he wanted to get rid of Frank on the Insider. That bothers me.

TODDLJ 421 desperate attention whore postings

12-12-01, 04:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TODDLJ Click to send private message to TODDLJ Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "Kelly's Media Handlers"
For those of you who doubt that she has someone 'feeding her' stuff 24/7, I think you underestimate the control of CBS and MB's spin doctors. Kelly has had months to prepare for her media blitz, and she has certainly been rehersed and briefed. She is an employee of CBS at this point, and is doing as instructed. And she is bright...

When Kelly makes a media appearance, they have told her what she can and cannot say, and probably have given her a list of possible answers to just about every imaginable question. She has memorized this.

In most cases, she has been given the actual list of questions in advance. Shows like Kilbourne and Letterman may seem 'off the cuff', but the questions are mostly prepared in advance, and Kelly has definitely done some rehersal. (Letterman and Kilbourne both have 'cheat sheet' cards with their questions to help them get through the night. It's quite clear if you go to a taping, that they are mostly just reading off the card.)

I hate to burst any bubbles here, but I would not put any spoiler value in booted survivor comments at this point. They are being fed directly from the top.

12-12-01, 04:33 PM (EST)
33. "RE: Kelly's Media Handlers"
>I would not put any spoiler value in booted survivor comments at this point. They are being fed directly from the top.
I don't think anyone disagrees--except for the fact that we're dealing with human beings here, and they DO tend to screw things up on occasion! Seems logical that someone who loves the Survivor game AND attention as much as Kelly does might get over-eager and let something slip (often, it's the people who think they've got all the bases covered who are the least wary of making mistakes.) On Kilbourne, she was definitely NOT in noticeable control of herself (practically bouncing off the walls) and if she'd had an interviewer who actually watched the show (as few seem to have time or inclination to do) she could've been manipulated into letting something fly. But of course, they're all on the SeeBS payroll, so the likelihood of that is pretty slim.

Don't think it's necessary to "burst any bubbles" or discourage people from paying attention, because there have been plenty of slips over the course of Survivor that have provided a flash of insight. If nothing else, we have the satisfaction of knowing that Mark Burn-it has the biggest headache of us all over the possibility--I'm convinced that"anti-spoiling" has become a bigger focus for him than the show, itself!

GT

12-12-01, 04:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TODDLJ Click to send private message to TODDLJ Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: Kelly's Media Handlers"
Fair enough, GT. She is human, and certainly could have slipped. The problem is knowing the unintentional slips from the intentional slips. We have already misread intentional slips from Carl and Diane.

Perhaps to say 'I would not put any spoiler value in booted survivor comments at this point' is too severe. But I wouldn't base my predictions on it, as some on this thread appear to be doing. Use it, along with other evidence, to create a theory. But don't use it as indisputable law.

(I personally, won't use it at all, because I think most, if not all she said on Kilborne was fed to her, especially the stuff about Lex.)

12-12-01, 05:05 PM (EST)
35. "History"
Two thoughts come to mind here:

1. Even though the survivors have been prepped, anyone who has ever been interviewed knows that, once you start to talk, you can say just about anything. (FWIW, that's why Bill Gates did such an awful job in the deposition in the Microsoft antitrust trial -- he didn't want to take the time to prepare, and he also didn't want to talk AT ALL, so that he wouldn't say anything harmful.) As OFG points out, lawyers teach clients to give away the minimum amount possible during deposition ... because we KNOW that anyone who talks WILL screw up, PERIOD. As GT also pointed out, anyone who thinks that the interviews are worthless has missed all the great spoiler tidbits that have come out of them in the past (Gervase saying a male won S1, "Debb's friends", Jeff V. revealing the Alicia boot, Alicia's discussion of her close friendship with Jerri, etc.) -- even though we didn't necessarily recognize them as spoilers at the time.

2. Remember this: the survivors are on their own once the show is over. The S1 survivors did pretty well as media whores (Kelly W. on E!, Richard everywhere, Colleen in a film). The S2 survivors have not done as well. Kelly needs to be charming and dynamic in her interviews, so that people want to keep seeing her -- and it's hard to do that and still focus on the instructions from the CBS media handlers...

12-13-01, 01:29 PM (EST)
38. "RE: History"
LAST EDITED ON 12-13-01 AT 01:31 PM (EST)

Solid points, Ayak, but I stand by my previous statement.

1. I have no doubt that people make mistakes when being interviewed. I have been interviewed as well, and it is difficult to think of just the right thing to say when you're worried about how you're going to be quoted later.

My point is, some of what she is saying is true, and some is half-true, some mis-spoken, and some fed to her. How do we know which is which? How about the fact that Carl said he was in close quarters with Teresa? How about Mike and Keith being best friends? How about Diane's list not including Jessie, and including Teresa? Lots of this stuff just leads us down the wrong path based on our incorrect assumptions and their mis-statements and half-truths.

2. The Survivors are not toally 'on their own' at this point. They are tied to CBS for a year, and cannot make any deals on their own. They are also being paid by CBS for all of these media appearances. They are still employees of CBS at this point, no doubt about it.

thebrain 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

12-13-01, 12:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail thebrain Click to send private message to thebrain Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
36. "12 days at Loser Lodge with Lex"
hehe.... try saying "loser lodge with lex" ten times really fast.

We need to figure out what to do with Kelly and her comments quickly because she just mentioned on the local sacramento radio station how many days she spent with Lex at the "loser lodge".

I thought I heard her say 12 days. I had the radio turned down so I may have misheard the number. Either that or I need to get the wax cleaned out of my ears. So if anyone is in the Sacramento area and was listening to The Zone this morning and can coroborate, it would be greatly appreciated.

-thebrain

MC_Hampster 105 desperate attention whore postings

12-13-01, 01:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MC_Hampster Click to send private message to MC_Hampster Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
37. "Lex is safe"
If you did indeed hear her correctly, I think we can correctly assume that Lex is safe for tonight. There is no way she could have let this slip...

-MC

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •