The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Do you think Results Show lacks respect for contestants? "
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

LisaPles 740 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-13-06, 04:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LisaPles Click to send private message to LisaPles Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Do you think Results Show lacks respect for contestants? "
I almost can’t stand to watch the results show any longer. I think the way they treat the contestants is totally disrespectful.
Like for example, immediately after they showed Elliott’s video clip, the first of the final three, Ryan put him on the spot and asked him to sing. You could tell that Elliott was not made aware in advance that he would be asked to sing and he was surprised. Of course he obliged, and he sounded fine, but it didn’t sit well with me. Being that it is a live show wouldn’t it have been nice to let the contestants have some idea what to expect?
I think this bothers me especially because many of them are adults, some of them married, families ...etc. They treat them like a bunch of children. Like when they have to go join group number one, two or three on stage. Give me a break!
Does anyone else think they should do this in a more dignified manner? I feel like I’m watching Ryan lead a kindergarten class sometimes!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Do you think Results Show lacks... EMTBGRL 04-13-06 1
 RE: Do you think Results Show lacks... nailbone 04-13-06 2
 RE: Do you think Results Show lacks... fenway_frank 04-13-06 3
 RE: Do you think Results Show lacks... udg 04-13-06 4
   RE: Do you think Results Show lacks... LisaPles 04-14-06 8
   RE: Do you think Results Show lacks... pinksparkleguitar 04-17-06 21
 RE: Do you think Results Show lacks... priestdi 04-14-06 5
   RE: Do you think Results Show lacks... Panama 04-14-06 6
       RE: Do you think Results Show lacks... nailbone 04-14-06 11
 RE: Do you think Results Show lacks... archon 04-14-06 7
   RE: Do you think Results Show lacks... TanNymph 04-14-06 10
       RE: Do you think Results Show lacks... archon 04-14-06 12
 RE: Do you think Results Show lacks... aifan2006 04-14-06 9
   RE: Do you think Results Show lacks... LisaPles 04-14-06 13
 Brian May's says Queen did Ace's ar... priestdi 04-14-06 14
   WARNING Bebo 04-14-06 15
       RE: WARNING priestdi 04-14-06 16
           RE: Edit of Queen's Comments LisaPles 04-17-06 17
 Elimination Performances Devious Weasel 04-17-06 18
   RE: Elimination Performances priestdi 04-17-06 19
       RE: Elimination Performances Glow 04-17-06 20
           RE: Results Show LisaPles 04-20-06 22
               RE: Results Show priestdi 04-20-06 23
                   RE: Results Show Magnolia_Rocker 04-20-06 24
                       RE: Results Show Glow 04-20-06 25
 RE: Do you think Results Show lacks... gotears 04-20-06 26
   RE: Do you think Results Show lacks... Devious Weasel 04-20-06 27
 RE: Do you think Results Show lacks... Twinkles 04-20-06 28
 RE: Do you think Results Show lacks... Fishercat 04-20-06 29

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

EMTBGRL 2514 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

04-13-06, 05:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail EMTBGRL Click to send private message to EMTBGRL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Do you think Results Show lacks respect for contestants? "
I agree with you.

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-13-06, 05:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Do you think Results Show lacks respect for contestants? "
It's not just the results show, it's the entirety of American Idol. You can see that just watching them spend so much time on the no-talent types on the audition shows. They even went as far as a "Good, Bad, and Ugly" episode to showcase the worst ones.

Sig by Arkie!!

Holey carp! My blog! MySpace!
Official OT Tassel Adjuster o-

fenway_frank 23 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-13-06, 06:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail fenway_frank Click to send private message to fenway_frank Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Do you think Results Show lacks respect for contestants? "
i guess when you have 30-40 million people voting every week and having both shows consistently number 1 for their time slots...changing the premise of the show isnt gonna happen anytime soon.....but I agree...its pretty brutal to watch lately.

udg 3381 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-13-06, 11:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Do you think Results Show lacks respect for contestants? "
What really bothered me was that, when he asked what song he was supposed to sing, he was told to "just follow the music." That just screamed, "Let's see how freaked out we can make this guy."

Slice n' Dice's Sigpic Chop Shop 2004

04-14-06, 08:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail LisaPles Click to send private message to LisaPles Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Do you think Results Show lacks respect for contestants? "
>What really bothered me was that,
>when he asked what song
>he was supposed to sing,
>he was told to "just
>follow the music." That just
>screamed, "Let's see how freaked
>out we can make this
>guy."
>

Yes, I forgot about that, too. Nice he wasn't given a millisecond to mentally prepare. That was so totally j'ked off!

pinksparkleguitar 1222 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-17-06, 04:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail pinksparkleguitar Click to send private message to pinksparkleguitar Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Do you think Results Show lacks respect for contestants? "
That really irked me. Ryan couldn't even steer him in the right direction? He just says "follow the song" with a smirk and then is off?

priestdi 378 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

04-14-06, 01:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail priestdi Click to send private message to priestdi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Do you think Results Show lacks respect for contestants? "

Now that you mention it, I also was offended when Ryan forced someone -- was it Elliott again??? -- to look at the camera with tears rolling down his face after the videos.

Panama 33 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-14-06, 06:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Panama Click to send private message to Panama Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Do you think Results Show lacks respect for contestants? "
I believe it was Elliott.

I too find it cruel the way they treat the contestants. I don't remember what year or who it was, but one girl was totally shocked that she was eliminated. The poor girl sang, but you could see how upset she was. Then there was Ayla Brown from this year. I know they won't, but maybe they should think of the Golden Rule; Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

04-14-06, 10:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Do you think Results Show lacks respect for contestants? "
No, no, in Hollywood, the Golden Rule is "Thems that have the gold make the rules."

Sig by Arkie!!

Holey carp! My blog! MySpace!
Official OT Tassel Adjuster o-

archon 178 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-14-06, 08:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail archon Click to send private message to archon Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Do you think Results Show lacks respect for contestants? "
I did not get to see the results show (sorry, no tivo and LOST was on...)

But, I have very little sympathy for any of the contestants. This is, what, the 5th time around for this show? I have to assume by now that everyone has already seen the show and knows how crappy they MAY be treated if they get this far.

They know the show. They know the deal. This is their opportunity to make a name for themselves. If FOX decides to crap all over them -- well -- that's part of the package.

Is that unfair? No. Unfair is the far more talented singers who did not get through becuase they were not marketable (ie. attractive) enough.

The object of the show is to make drama. Harsh emotions -- no matter the type -- are drama. And good drama sells alot of Coke. Thats what its about -- and all of them know it.

Archon

"You can get more with a 2x4 and a kind word than with just a kind word." (Marcus, B5)

TanNymph 309 desperate attention whore postings

04-14-06, 10:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TanNymph Click to send private message to TanNymph Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Do you think Results Show lacks respect for contestants? "
I agree. At this point, they know what they are in for.

I do however, feel sorry for them sometimes.

archon 178 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-14-06, 11:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail archon Click to send private message to archon Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Do you think Results Show lacks respect for contestants? "
Oh, don't get me wrong. Its sad to watch a person who has vested himself into something so completely and see it all disappear in an instant. I certainly believe that their emotions are legit... I can and do empathize...

But -- unless you are the winner -- you have to know what's most likely ahead of you. You will be used by FOX to sell Coke and Ford Focus -- any which way they can.

All they can do is accept it, like it, and make the most of it...

Archon

"You can get more with a 2x4 and a kind word than with just a kind word." (Marcus, B5)

aifan2006 25 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-14-06, 09:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aifan2006 Click to send private message to aifan2006 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Do you think Results Show lacks respect for contestants? "
I have'nt thought they were very nice to the bottom three contestants since that week when Paula was impaired and laughted at them and make stupid jokes while they stood there. Remembering how important this moment is to the contestants they could show some more consideration but they don't. And I agree when some contestant is in emotional tears they should not stand there and make them sing the song that got them eliminated from the show in the first place, but the truth is embarrasing people and making them look foolish is most of the fun of this show to alot of people is'nt it. The contestants looking foolish is what they think brings this show big ratings.

04-14-06, 11:44 AM (EST)
13. "RE: Do you think Results Show lacks respect for contestants? "
The contestants looking
>foolish is what they think
>brings this show big ratings.

I really hope not. Then again, this show has turned into such a joke I wouldn't be surprised if they thought that.

04-14-06, 11:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail priestdi Click to send private message to priestdi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "Brian May's says Queen did Ace's arrangement"
Wow, I can't believe that thread of mine was "locked" for being redundant? I manage a message board too, and I can't imagine being that controlling. I'm not a nitwit who randomly posts things. This was only my second new thread ever -- and my first thread was what brought back Gay Idol Journal, so please give me a little credit for being able to think things through.

This isn't about Ace. And it isn't about "disrespect."

it's about lies, and the show's integrity.

So anyway. This is a variation on the locked thread:

Brain May says Queen actually SUPPORTED Ace's interest in changing up their song, and HELPED him create the arrangement he performed on the show. Brian thought he did a good job too, and he's angry at the way the producers essentially lied with the editing.

If Ace had been kicked off, I imagine this could have blown into a big deal.

click this link
- AMERICAN IDOL - ACE - AND BEING MISREPRESENTED

on this page:

http://www.brianmay.com/whatsnew.html

Today's NT Post has a tiny blurb about it too,

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/66998.htm

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

04-14-06, 03:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "WARNING"
LAST EDITED ON 04-14-06 AT 03:06 PM (EST)

If you manage a message board, then I'm sure you appreciate the importance of posters reading and following the community guidelines.

XIII. RESPECT THE MODERATORS, THEIR ROLE, AND THEIR DECISIONS

Please remember that moderators are people too -- people who generously volunteer THEIR TIME to manage a community FOR YOUR USE. They also have personal lives and feelings. While they are very generous in volunteering their time, do not presume that a moderator will always be immediately available to respond to your issue. Do not take a lack of response or action on their part as grounds to take you own "vigilante moderation" action. "Vigilante moderation" will not be tolerated and will possibly result in the termination of your RealityTVWorld.com membership. While disagreeing with the actions or decision of the moderator team is permitted, respecting their decision is required and repeated open questioning or badgering of their decision is not permitted.

Keep your comments on this forum about the show. If you have an issue with a moderator's decision, address it off the threads.

04-14-06, 07:40 PM (EST)
16. "RE: WARNING"

I'm sorry.

This was a subject that was important to me.

I thought it was a relevant topic of discussion, and I was genuinely dismayed when I came back to see what other people thought, and saw they couldn't respond.

On my other boards, the rules are interpreted a bit differently.

I guess I'll call this a learning experience.

04-17-06, 09:03 AM (EST)
17. "RE: Edit of Queen's Comments"
I see your point with the show's lack of integrity in editing Queen's comments about Ace. Unfortunately I'm not surprised. The show can't manipulate the votes but they will attempt to manipulate the viewers in other ways.
Not only was that edit a slap in Ace's face, it was really poor for them to have Queen participate in the show and then misrepresent their comments. I personally think that Ace was terrible, but they should let the viewers have an objective opinion without adding their propaganda.
I wouldn't be surprised if artists & bands think twice before geting involved with the show in the future. I'm sure they want to do it to promote themselves but if they don't trust how they will be portrayed, they will avoid it.

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

04-17-06, 12:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "Elimination Performances"
Are often the best performances. I can't count the number of times that I've seen a singer who just got eliminated deliver a great performance. I think it's because so many get so nervous about performing, and then when they are eliminated all the nerves go away and they can just sing again. Not to mention that they all rehearse again with the band on Wednesday in case they are the one who goes that night.

That being said, the thing that set last week apart was the fact that they had multiple people singing, and that they were singing before they got eliminated. This was a change in format, and may have caught Elliott off guard. Still, I can't imagine they didn't tell them during the day that three people would be singing.

04-17-06, 01:43 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Elimination Performances"

it sure seemed to me like he was totally caught off guard.

he was so slow to comprehend that he really was being asked to sing ...

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

04-17-06, 02:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Elimination Performances"
oh yeah. I agree. He had no idea.

And my answer to the original question is yes.

an arkie work of art

04-20-06, 11:54 AM (EST)
22. "RE: Results Show"
Was last night's results show as stupid as ever, or what? Split into groups, and let Taylor decide the "safe" group, Uggh! Who comes up with this crap!!
I only watched because I wanted to see Rod perform.

I think it's so obvious that they put Chris in the bottom two for the drama effect. Remember when they dd that to Ruben? How lame!

04-20-06, 12:07 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Results Show"

Actually, Dial Idol -- which is based on busy signals -- had Chris in the bottom three!! what an endorsement for their accuracy, wow.

and about last night.

They've done that before, told somebody to go stand with the safe group. Was it Bo last year, or somebody in season 3? it's starting to run together. At least this time they did it in a way that made it clear it was SUPPOSED to be a guess. the first time it was a set-up, the bottom 3 wasn't what it appeared to be.

I hoped Taylor would refuse to do it, actually. But it was Ok the way he turned it into a joke, shaking Chris' hand and walking away.

They must know about Dial Idol too. and that (I think) was the Dial Idol bottom three standing there.

Magnolia_Rocker 2139 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

04-20-06, 12:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Magnolia_Rocker Click to send private message to Magnolia_Rocker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Results Show"
They've done this the last two seasons I know, didn't watch seasons one and two so can't say about those two. Bo last year was the one that refused to pick sides, he stood in the middle of the two groups. *love me some Bo*

Siggy thanks to Syren!

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

04-20-06, 12:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Results Show"
oh yeah. It's been done. Couple times last year (Bo and Constantine) and they did it to George when the shocker! *rolls eyes* bottom 3 happened. This show is tired. If it wasn't for their guest performers and the cheesy Ford commercials (which I don't care about anymore because there's no more greasygarageBucky to look forward to), I wouldn't even bother watching. I probably would but I'm trying to make a point here.

an arkie work of art

gotears 6 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

04-20-06, 01:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail gotears Click to send private message to gotears Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Do you think Results Show lacks respect for contestants? "
The results shows are a farce and the "theatrics" are just plain juvenille. It could be done with a lot more grace and in about 10 minutes, at most. I also have 2 questions:

1)Why does the contestant being voted off have to sing the song that got them voted off? Obviously, it WASN'T an audience pleaser.

2)Why can't they announce the actual votes? Why is that a secret? Isn't the audience who spends the time to watch the show and votes entitled to that?

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

04-20-06, 02:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Do you think Results Show lacks respect for contestants? "
I agree it's incredibly padded, but as mentioned earlier, I don't mind the elimination performances. For one thing, they are usually among the best performances the contestant gives. For another, they are something for that contestant and his or her fans, not just for the entire audience. One last moment to shine, so to speak.

As to revealing vote totals, I wish they would, but I understand why they don't. For one thing, they couldn't do their little "hide who is really in trouble" trick they like to do. For another, they want to maintain the fiction that the final result is still up in the air, because that keeps people voting. If the audience knew that so and so got a significantly greater number of votes than anyone else, would people still tune in? Maybe, but I think the producers regard it as an open question.

Twinkles 324 desperate attention whore postings

04-20-06, 04:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Twinkles Click to send private message to Twinkles Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Do you think Results Show lacks respect for contestants? "
I had a completely different take on asking Elliott to sing with no preparation. During the season, Ryan has commented at least twice that Elliott in particular is such a natural that he requires no warm-up - he just walks on stage and belts out his performances. I think Ryan wanted the audience to witness for themselves what natural raw talent he had. I was moved by it. I thought he was giving Elliott his props.

I see what you mean, though, that it would have been so stressful to have no warning.

The show does have a bit of the "impending trainwreck" to it. The producers are probably pandering to the people who watch it to see if the contestants will crack under pressure.

Fishercat 4168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

04-20-06, 09:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fishercat Click to send private message to Fishercat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Do you think Results Show lacks respect for contestants? "
I can see why they do a lot of the things they do on the results show. They can only do so much during a show and they have to stretch it 30 minutes. Here's how I would change it.

A) Eliminate the Bush League tactics with making Taylor or Bo choose the "safe" group, or separating them into different groups, or making them do a chicken dance (okay, I made the last one up). It's unnecessary, sophomoric, and simply sad.

B) Get a legitimate recap. Give serious, quality clips of each performer and judge's comments (at least from F12 on) for people who may have missed it. None of this jumping around, 5 second voiceover clips. They could give 30 seconds of each performer, 10-15 seconds on comments, 5 second of introductions, and that's still 5-6 minutes off the clock of less stalling

C) Judge's Predictions. Have Simon/Paula/Randy predict before revealing anything who they thought was the worst and going home, then do it after the B3 are announced. Make it interesting, see if they have a pulse on the public.

D) Keep the ending performance, but don't cut it off, and perhaps give them the option to do their favorite song if possible. I don't like that Mandisa had to do country when she left, with her earlier performances.

E) With a legit recap, cut out the whole deal about saying "Katharine, you performed blahblahblah. Randy called it "x", Paula said "y", Simon said "z".

F) If they don't want a huge recap of the previous night's episode, then give the people leaving a true send-off package. Put the clips from home, but give robust clips for their best performances, maybe their audition if we didn't see it, good Hollywood performances.

So many options, but some of the tactics are just...bad. I don't watch the recap anymore, I check on it during Lost's commercial breaks

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •