The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Mark Burnett Scares The Crap Outta Me"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

NorthOfBoston 158 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

11-21-01, 09:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail NorthOfBoston Click to send private message to NorthOfBoston Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Mark Burnett Scares The Crap Outta Me"
Have all of you seen this article?

http://www.neworleans.net/living/t-p/index.ssf?/livingstory/rose183.html

What kind of S & M palace is he running anyway? I have a little more respect for Lindsey now that I see this was the process of elimination. If this story is true, it's obvious that MB chooses contestants that "fit" into his own pre-arranged "script" for the show; why else would he put Tom on? Or Mama Kim for that matter? She couldn't even climb up for a basket, nevermind spend 90 hours in the gym. I don't think I'm going off on a limb by theorizing that MB probably has a loose "script" for the season and then chooses contestants most likely to carry out that script (through psychological torture testing). Any thoughts on this?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Mark Burnett Scares The Crap Ou... Uberwench 11-21-01 1
 RE: Mark Burnett Scares The Crap Ou... Outfrontgirl 11-21-01 2
 Compare AyaK 11-21-01 3

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Uberwench 13 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

11-21-01, 11:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Uberwench Click to send private message to Uberwench Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Mark Burnett Scares The Crap Outta Me"
Heh! I'm sorry the guy didn't make it; I'm from New Orleans, so I'd love to be able to root for the "home team."

As for MB's gulag-style contestant selection process (no conversations with other contestants, assigned meal-times, people watching you all the time), I can see why it's the way it is. It isn't for *me*, mind you, but I can understand it. The last thing the show wants is to see a bunch of people who are already good chums and have chosen up alliances before they even touched down in Africa.

And yeah, I'm sure that certain types are selected so that certain storylines will play out; the show is as much about entertainment as it is about survival. In each show, there's been at least one "sweetheart," at least one "#####," at least one "good ol' boy," at least one "wise mother figure," at least one "jock/hunk." People like watching recognizable archetypes; they're easier to identify, if not identify with. It's more interesting seeing how colorful, vivid, recognizable personalities play off one another than it is to see, say, a bunch of pallid, dry investment bankers would be (no offense to any investment bankers out there).

Thanks for giving me that link; I like knowing a local guy got as far as he did.

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-21-01, 11:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Mark Burnett Scares The Crap Outta Me"
Well, that explains why they didn't pick our sleeeve.
He's a nice guy and not at all weird, at least not along the lines they seem to be seeking...

If only they could have seen JV's full collection of sig pics, he might have been a contender, but it seems they only saw Mr. Soft and Cuddly.

Well guys, if you're still interested, you have some insight now on how to adjust your strategy...

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-21-01, 11:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Compare"
All of the description in this article is consistant with what Mitchell told us before, although more detailed. If you're interested in comparing the two viewpoints, see this thread:

http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/cgi-bin/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=1013&forum=DCForumID2&archive=yes

So why didn't MB pick this guy? I think the article tells it all -- this guy would have driven everyone nuts, just as his wife said! He'd be gone on the first vote. Sorry, but he's a military loner-type, not an alliance-builder, and we already had one of those people (Kel, and you know how long he lasted).

The idea is to put together the group that has the most variables; any of the original 16 should be able to win. If Boran hadn't dumped its water at the start, placing a serious premium on strength, that probably would have been the case, too -- Diane and Jessie weren't obvious first boots, the way Debb and Sonja were, and we're seeing that Mama Kim is a lock to make the merge -- who'd-a thunk it?

Frankly, I'm amazed this guy lasted as long in the screening process as he did. I presume that MB wasn't confident that Tom could hack it and kept this guy around as insurance.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •