The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Is Filler Episode Important?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-21-01, 01:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Is Filler Episode Important?"
This is something I have been wondering about, the recap episode is going to be Nov. 29, the week after Thanksgiving rather than the week of Thanksgiving, between episodes 7 and 8 of the game itself. I have to wonder why, other than CBS wanting to stretch out by a week its "Friends" competitor. Last season the filler episode was between episodes 8 and 9 of the game, which drew out by a week Jerri's boot from the game, but now that Lindsey is gone there are really no obvious "villains" in the story, so that cannot be the reason.

My inclination is to believe that something happens in episode 7 to keep people wondering, and hoping that the filler episode will perhaps provide some insights. Otherwise, CBS has a turkey on its hands the week after Thanksgiving, why not instead program the turkey for Thanksgiving night instead. So, what could it be?

Possibility #1, the merge occurs in episode 7 but leaves exposed divisions among the numerically superior Original Boran, ie. the LET alliance is reunited but also is exposed.

Possibility #2, the merge is delayed until episode 8, possibly even left in question for that matter. Would that same question sustain viewer interest for three weeks? Probably not, unless something surprising did occur in episode 7, the boot of a player who seemed to have a solidly strong position on the board perhaps?

I am genuinely interested in whether anyone has any insights on this, I've tied myself in knots just trying to figure out how to post about it.

"If all machines were to be annihilated at one moment, so that not a knife nor lever nor rag of clothing nor anything whatsoever were left to man but his bare body alone that he was born with, and if all knowledge of mechanical laws were taken from him so that he could make no more machines, and all machine-made food destroyed so that the race of man should be left as it were naked upon a desert island, we should become extinct in six weeks. A few miserable individuals might linger, but even these in a year or two would become worse than monkeys." (Samuel Butler, "Erewhon")

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Is Filler Episode Important? Krautboy 11-21-01 1
 RE: Is Filler Episode Important? Rose Red 11-21-01 2

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

11-21-01, 02:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Is Filler Episode Important?"
Dabo: I wouldn't get my hopes up about getting too much useful information from the "filler episode". Last season it was used to bring people who had missed the earlier episodes up to date and snag some viewers mid season.

MB may also be using the filler episode to fine tune the scheduling of the finale, and delaying it a week may avoid a scheduling conflict at the end of the season. I haven't checked the calendar...just speculating.

The timing of the review episode works well to keep viewers on the hook in either of the scenarios you mention. Either merge and wait in anticipation of the new dynamics of the game, or finalize the members of the jury and wait in anticipation of the merge.

I personally, I think MB would want to end the first half with a major event: The Merge and start the second half with the viewers anticipating the exciting new dynamics of the merged tribe and the first member of the jury being voted out...

Krautboy

Rose Red 419 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

11-21-01, 02:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Rose%20Red Click to send private message to Rose%20Red Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Is Filler Episode Important?"
Well, for one thing, the November Sweeps, where all the networks use the ratings for that month to set their advertising rates is over BEFORE the recrap episode. They didn't want the ratings to REALLY dive before the Sweeps, er, swept. That may be one big reason, but also I think that you're absolutely right. That there's some kind of huge cliffhanger coming this week that they hope will make us stay tuned for TWO MORE weeks. Yes, Jerri was their hook last year, and I must say I find this extension-by-a-week really annoying. It's just so they can stretch their cash cow out by a week, and make that much more money.
Of course, I'll watch it, and if last year is any indication, their reconstituting Jerri's character - well, only slightly- I mean, in her case, ANYTHING would've been an image improver, somebody who everyone thinks negatively of will get a lot of face-time before they get the boot.
Maybe they'll actually SHOW the Clarence/Diane bean scene, for instance.
Yes, there's a big dust devil blowing our way on Thursday. Thanksgiving yet!
A rule change? It's something huge. Although it could just be the Merge finally happening, as it looks like it's not going to this week. That would be an effective break point. Although maybe JP makes some sort of shattering announcement at the end of this episode which will be ANOTHER big twist of some sort. Three tribes in one camp, for instance, and they'll use the recrap episode to plug the living daylights out of yet ANOTHER twist. Episode #9, BTW, is called "Smoking Out the Snake". I don't know,but it sounds to me like major back-stabbing is a foot. Quelle surprise!
Of course, JP probably makes the big annoucement, but doesn't tell them what the big NEW twist will be and we'll all have to stay tuned. And we will. Or at least everybody in the Spoiling Community will. The rest of the national audience may be so gone by this point, and confused, it's not funny.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •