The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The L Word on Showtime"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Non-Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

tarebear 41 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

01-23-04, 07:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tarebear Click to send private message to tarebear Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The L Word on Showtime"
If you didn't catch the premiere of The L Word on Showtime last week, be sure to watch this week. It is a great, touching, well written/acted show that is not to be missed. Catch up here and then watch on Sunday.
http://www.sho.com/lword1

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The L Word on Showtime brvnkrz 01-24-04 1
   RE: The L Word on Showtime dabo 01-24-04 2
       RE: The L Word on Showtime brvnkrz 01-24-04 3
           RE: The L Word on Showtime tarebear 01-25-04 4
               RE: The L Word on Showtime brvnkrz 01-27-04 5
                   RE: The L Word on Showtime tarebear 01-27-04 6
                       RE: The L Word on Showtime brvnkrz 01-28-04 7
                           RE: The L Word on Showtime tarebear 01-28-04 8
                               RE: The L Word on Showtime tarebear 01-30-04 9
                                   RE: The L Word on Showtime ginger 01-30-04 10
                                       RE: The L Word on Showtime tarebear 01-31-04 11
                                           RE: The L Word on Showtime brvnkrz 02-01-04 13
                                   RE: The L Word on Showtime brvnkrz 01-31-04 12
                                       RE: The L Word on Showtime tarebear 02-01-04 14
                                           RE: The L Word on Showtime ginger 02-02-04 15
                                               RE: The L Word on Showtime brvnkrz 02-02-04 16
                                               RE: The L Word on Showtime tarebear 02-10-04 21
                                                   RE: The L Word on Showtime ginger 02-17-04 25
           RE: The L Word on Showtime dabo 02-03-04 17
               RE: The L Word on Showtime brvnkrz 02-03-04 18
 RE: The L Word on Showtime brvnkrz 02-09-04 19
   RE: The L Word on Showtime tarebear 02-10-04 20
       RE: The L Word on Showtime brvnkrz 02-10-04 22
           RE: The L Word on Showtime tarebear 02-10-04 23
               RE: The L Word on Showtime brvnkrz 02-15-04 24
                   RE: The L Word on Showtime ginger 02-17-04 26
                       RE: The L Word on Showtime brvnkrz 02-18-04 27
                           RE: The L Word on Showtime ginger 02-19-04 28
                               RE: The L Word on Showtime brvnkrz 02-19-04 29

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-24-04, 11:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The L Word on Showtime"
I started a thread about this 3 days ago but nobody responded so I figured that nobody else was watching. I'm glad to see there is someone out there. I loved the show. Thought it was a great leap, had god writing and great acting. I mentioned that I had great respect for these straight actresses to be playing lesbian characters and they aren't holding back. I hope this show makes it. It is getting really good buzz too. It's about time a network put out a show on Lesbians. Although I enjoy all of the gay men's shows, I thought it was about time they put one out there for women.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

01-24-04, 10:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The L Word on Showtime"
I don't get that channel, interested in any updates y'all may want to post.

Article Link:
http://entertainment.msn.com/news/article.aspx?news=146249

quote:
Perhaps no more so than those who had long waited for such a show, such as newcomer Leisha Hailey, who plays Alice, a bisexual magazine writer. "Lesbians have never been portrayed on TV unless it was a small, tiny character," Hailey says. "I'm gay, and I can tell you that there's been nothing to identify with. I grew up watching 'Cagney & Lacey' just to see two women who were close. That's how pathetic it is."

Personally, I always thought Cagney was way up there on the do-able scale, especially when she was the actress who portrayed her between Loretta Swit and Sharon Gless, damn she was hot.

SMILES ARE FREE

01-24-04, 11:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: The L Word on Showtime"
I believe that was Meg Foster. She had those see through blue eyes. She also played in the orginl Scarlett Letter. Funny enough, she was replaced by Sharon Gless because they wanted a more feminine Cagney. I tend to think that Meg Foster is more feminine, but that's just MHO.

01-25-04, 02:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tarebear Click to send private message to tarebear Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: The L Word on Showtime"
Sorry brvnkrz, I didn't see your topic on the show! But we still found each other which is good. Yes, I agree with you that Meg is more fem - good observation. I can't wait for tonight's episode. It's nice to be excited about a show again. Have you checked out the website, by any chance? The cast interviews are great.

01-27-04, 00:05 AM (EST)
5. "RE: The L Word on Showtime"
I have goe to the website. I am really loving this cast. I agree that it feels great to be excited about a new show. I love all of these characters and the writers are doing such a great job. It's so funny to watch their stories and how they relate to my life and my friends. Even though they have all of the stereotypes, I can't be offended because the stereotypes are all true. I can related everyone of my friends to at least one of the characters. This is a show I will not miss and I just hope everyone else is watching so it stays on the air. I think it is my new favorite and I am known for being a reality show freak and not a soap watcher.

01-27-04, 12:57 PM (EST)
6. "RE: The L Word on Showtime"
Yeah!!! I hope everyone watches too. And I agree, although stereotpyes are often times charges with negativity (or used in the wrong way) they do come from somewhere and can be entertaining when acted out on the screen. I'm glad you like the site. Did you notice that there will be a live chat with two of the actors from The L Word on the 1st of Feb??? Check it out. Http://www.sho.com/lword1 Bye for now!

01-28-04, 00:26 AM (EST)
7. "RE: The L Word on Showtime"
Very cool. I was looking up some of the websites of the actresses too. I get more and more interested in all of these women the more I read about them. Not that it matters, but I can't seem to find which ones if any are gay in real life. I'mpretty sure that Jennifer Beals is married, but I don't know about the rest of them. Like I said, not that it matters, just curious. I think I might like them better knowing that they were straight. I would have great admiration for their courage to play these roles.

01-28-04, 06:11 PM (EST)
8. "RE: The L Word on Showtime"
Yeah. It would be interesting to know which actors were actually gay in real life. Although, i think that playing a homosexual on television is a daring move for an actor regardless of their sexual preference in 'real life' because it remains to be a controvercial topic.

01-30-04, 05:02 PM (EST)
9. "RE: The L Word on Showtime"
hey...by the way, i just found out that the L Word got picked up for a second season. i'm so excited. Talk to you later.

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

01-30-04, 06:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: The L Word on Showtime"
BF tivo'd and liked it. Not entirely sure, however, if it's because of (what I'm sure is quality) content, though...

01-31-04, 01:19 AM (EST)
11. "RE: The L Word on Showtime"
I'm not quite sure what you mean Ginger..

02-01-04, 00:07 AM (EST)
13. "RE: The L Word on Showtime"
I don't get to watch until late tomorrow because of Survivor. Usually I watch the east coast Showtime and I am on the west coast.

01-31-04, 10:43 PM (EST)
12. "RE: The L Word on Showtime"
Oh good, I too am very excited. That rocks.

02-01-04, 04:41 AM (EST)
14. "RE: The L Word on Showtime"
awesome!! Yeah, I'm on the West Coast too. But i get it at the regular time.

02-02-04, 03:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: The L Word on Showtime"
Okay, watched an episode with BF (who, to his credit, appears to like show beyond the obvious allure to your average hetero male of "Girls Making Out"). I liked the show, too, although it does seem to imply that 6 out of every 10 women is (A) stunningly beautiful and (B) gay. Also amused that the Donna Juan character is vaguely reminiscent of Mick Jagger. Or some other skinny male rock type. Jennifer Beales looks as angelically beautiful as ever.

Anyway, the dialogue was snappy and the cast is good and I suspect I'll get sucked into this waxing as Sex in the City wanes. Glad there's no Sharon Gless character, though.

02-02-04, 05:55 PM (EST)
16. "RE: The L Word on Showtime"
Well I am sure the hetero male loved the first two episodes because it just oozed sex. I was glad to see that some of the sex was toned down last night. Not that I don't enjoy the sex scenes, believe me I do. But I was afraid that it may end up just being a show about lesbian sex which would quickly lose appeal. Even to a lesbian. But they are slowly developing the characters and I am settling in and enjoying this show. I first described this as a lesbian Melrose Place, but am finding that it has some great content and just happens to be centered around lesbians.
I can't figure out if I like Shane or not. I think I used to be her, and so said my girlfriend and a couple of other friends. I think I like her though. Love Dana, she is hot but is such a dork.

02-10-04, 02:32 AM (EST)
21. "RE: The L Word on Showtime"
by the way gunger. what show out there doesn't make assumptions about beauty and sexuality? selectivity is an inherent feature to TV. and who is going to tune in to watch average ugly people make out and live their lives?

02-17-04, 06:23 PM (EST)
25. "RE: The L Word on Showtime"
I live in San Francisco. The lesbian community here does not quite resemble the lesbian community on television. It would be nice to see one older-than-30, not-in-perfect-shape "L" or two. But it's a small quibble.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

02-03-04, 09:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: The L Word on Showtime"
>I believe that was Meg Foster. ...
>... Funny enough,
>she was replaced by Sharon
>Gless because they wanted a
>more feminine Cagney. I
>tend to think that Meg
>Foster is more feminine ...

Me, too.

That may have been the official reason, but scuttlebutt at the time was that Foster was replaced because she had played a Lesbian character in some movie, the producers and the network didn't want viewers turned off/tuning out thinking Cagney was a Lesbian. It was stupid even then.

SMILES ARE FREE

02-03-04, 10:28 AM (EST)
18. "RE: The L Word on Showtime"
Boy have come a long way. Back then actors/actresses were going out of their way not to be associated with gays (with a few acceptions) and these days they are lining up to play gay characters. I mean, half of the guys on Queer as Folk and half of the women on the L word are actually straight in real life. Not to mention them playing gay characters on Will & Grace, Friends etc. Maybe one day the world will realize that we all have the same blood running through us and there will be no more racism, sexism, agism, sizism(probably not a word)

02-09-04, 10:37 PM (EST)
19. "RE: The L Word on Showtime"
Another great episode last night. The buzz in my circle of friends is that this is their new favorite shows. I thik these writers are great. They are doing such a wonderful job of character building. The story lines are begining to develop more and I continue to enjoy this show more every week.

02-10-04, 02:04 AM (EST)
20. "RE: The L Word on Showtime"
i totally agree. this show is getting better with age. maybe the heavy sex during the first two episode was just for initial drama, buzz, and controversy.

02-10-04, 10:48 AM (EST)
22. "RE: The L Word on Showtime"
I think you are right about the sex. It was used to draw people in, but they did a great job of working the plot immediately after the draw. Jennifer Beals was on Wayne Brady last week and she was great. He was asking her about doing the sex scenes and how shee feels about them since she is straight. Her answer was great, she said to him "Well, I'm not a welder either" I thought that was a great answer. I have really found a new respect for her as an actress and a person. I'm glad she did this part because I was never a huge fan of hers before. Not that I didn't like her but just didn't think twice about her. This will draw me into any other project she might be a part of whether it is a gay or straight role.

02-10-04, 06:13 PM (EST)
23. "RE: The L Word on Showtime"
awesome. i missed that Wayne Brady show... sounds like it was a good one. i like Beals too, but she hasn't completely won me over .....yet.

02-15-04, 11:36 PM (EST)
24. "RE: The L Word on Showtime"
Good episode tonight. Although I was irritated that Tim would marry Jenny after what happened. I was glad her left her in the hotel. I do not like her at all and am glad she didn't get away with it. I hope Dana will hold to her word and start to come out of the closet.

02-17-04, 06:24 PM (EST)
26. "RE: The L Word on Showtime"
I'm sorry, but I found it hard to believe that the thought of her making out with a woman made him feel so fully turned off to her. It just doesn't jibe with what 95% of the males in my life say.

02-18-04, 10:38 PM (EST)
27. "RE: The L Word on Showtime"
I sort of agree. Ask the males if their spouse was doing it with another chick how they would fee. Of course they are going to say they like it. But ask them how they would feel about it if it was being done behind their backs and they weren't invited to join and they didn't get to be a part of it or get to watch or anything. Then they would feel differently about it whether they admit it or not.

02-19-04, 04:55 PM (EST)
28. "RE: The L Word on Showtime"
I know - I was being a tad flippant. But I truly think most guys think if their girl has sex with another girl it is not necessarily being unfaithful -- kind of like a lot of guys think getting head is not necessarily "having sex."

Not saying I concur.

02-19-04, 05:41 PM (EST)
29. "RE: The L Word on Showtime"
I hear you. I wonder how many straight men are watching this show and not because they may get a glimpse of a lesbian love scene.
It's funny though, I once had a bisexual friend and she lived with her boyfriend. He had no proble with her going off with other women. He was insanely jealus of other men coming on to her but never blinked an eye when it was another woman, and he was never invited when she went with a woman.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •