The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"america has gone crazy in a "huge" way"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

ruben hater 20 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

05-07-03, 06:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ruben%20hater Click to send private message to ruben%20hater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"america has gone crazy in a "huge" way"
I am here to say a couple of things if you guys like it or not.
This is an american idol contest and I am sick of hearing people give that huge, no talented reject Ruben get praise for nothing. The way he was pounding his chest the other day got me worried he was going to give himself a heart attack because of his weight problem. Dont get me wrong I have nothing agaisnt big people, but I mean nobody wants to see a guy or women for that matter become a star in the music world who looks like that. I mean its a disgrace if america votes for a man who weighs 1000 pounds to be the winner of this contest. Give it to josh or clay I can deal with that but ruben or kim lock please. I dont care what you say to make in the music world you have to have the "look" as well and these people kim, ruben, dont have the look. Dont tell me its about talent cuz for there genere its the looks and then the talent and they are not pretty to look at. I am shocked that america has voted for these people, but I guess I shouldnt be knowing that 60% of america is overweight which is a disgrace in its self.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: america has gone crazy in a "hu... Femme 05-07-03 1
   RE: america has gone crazy in a "hu... cyclehausen 05-07-03 2
       RE: america has gone crazy in a "hu... Femme 05-08-03 17
   RE: america has gone crazy in a "hu... rilond 05-09-03 31
 RE: america has gone crazy in a "hu... ruben hater 05-07-03 3
   RE: america has gone crazy in a "hu... I_AM_HE 05-07-03 5
   RE: america has gone crazy in a "hu... TechNoir 05-07-03 6
       RE: america has gone crazy in a "hu... SaphireLady 05-07-03 9
   RE: america has gone crazy in a "hu... smiley 05-08-03 20
 RE: america has gone crazy in a "hu... ruben hater 05-07-03 4
   RE: america has gone crazy in a "hu... ruben hater 05-07-03 7
       RE: america has gone crazy in a "hu... I_AM_HE 05-07-03 10
       RE: america has gone crazy in a "hu... TechNoir 05-07-03 11
       RE: america has gone crazy in a "hu... TourGirl 05-07-03 12
           RE: america has gone crazy in a "hu... SaphireLady 05-07-03 16
           RE: america has gone crazy in a "hu... L82LIFE 05-08-03 21
       RE: america has gone crazy in a "hu... Connie E 05-08-03 22
           RE: america has gone crazy in a "hu... PrettyInPink 05-08-03 23
   RE: america has gone crazy in a "hu... I_AM_SHOCKED 05-07-03 8
 RE: america has gone crazy in a "hu... managerr 05-07-03 13
 RE: america has gone crazy in a "hu... ejm92 05-07-03 14
 RE: america has gone crazy in a "hu... Bebo 05-07-03 15
   bdelrey? bradyboy? ivoryElephant 05-08-03 18
 RE: america has gone crazy in a "hu... PrettyInPink 05-08-03 19
 RE: america has gone crazy in a "hu... Mysterious Jedi 05-08-03 24
   RE: america has gone crazy in a "hu... L82LIFE 05-08-03 25
       RE: america has gone crazy in a "hu... Ahtumbreez 05-08-03 27
 RE: america has gone crazy in a "hu... tig_ger 05-08-03 26
 RE: america has gone crazy in a "hu... lilgypsy 05-08-03 28
 RE: america has gone crazy in a "hu... Mon Cherie 05-09-03 29
 RE: america has gone crazy in a "hu... rilond 05-09-03 30
   RE: america has gone crazy in a "hu... managerr 05-09-03 32

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Femme 3621 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

05-07-03, 07:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Femme Click to send private message to Femme Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: america has gone crazy in a "huge" way"
Josh is kinda heavy... why don't you hate him? And Clay is a sort of anti-star with his big ears and freckled face.

I, for one, would rather see a big ol' boy up there than one more starving, waifish, skeletor Christina Aguilara.

However, unlike you, I will vote for who I think should win based on their overall package, not how big they are or aren't.

Femme

"We are men of action; lies do not become us."

cyclehausen 1197 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

05-07-03, 08:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cyclehausen Click to send private message to cyclehausen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: america has gone crazy in a "huge" way"
We all know you like an overall big package, Femme.... that's why I'm your favorite! ( ^o- wink -o^ )

Femme 3621 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

05-08-03, 01:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Femme Click to send private message to Femme Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: america has gone crazy in a "huge" way"
You know me.

*votes for cycle, who is her favorite*

rilond 64 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

05-09-03, 02:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail rilond Click to send private message to rilond Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: america has gone crazy in a "huge" way"
I agree. Josh was a big person and I'm sure he weight at least 250 lbs. He could not sing. Maybe on a good day a country and western song. But, he said himself that he was more comfortable with c/w music. I love c/w music but a Idol must be marketable with other types of music.

Clay needs to have plastic surgery on his ears. They stick out like porky pines. Plus, he is too skinny. Does not have much sex appeal at all. He to is stuck in a balad mode.

05-07-03, 08:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ruben%20hater Click to send private message to ruben%20hater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: america has gone crazy in a "huge" way"
I do agree with josh being a little heavy but there is a difference between a pick up truck and a full sized diesel if you know what I mean. I feel that Christina has the body of what the ideal women should be like. I dont think she is a skelotor type at all she has big hips and curvy thighs but I do vote based on overall package as well its just that looks go into that as well, and as clay goes he is thin and yes he has big ears but he hides it well with his hair and I feel that he has the most talent anywayz and I can put up with the ears its something that he cant do about it but something can be done about the weight, I mean it is a heath issue and to promote somebody who has a problem like that is not sending a good message. Thats just my 10 cents but I do hope you enjoy the show.

I_AM_HE 6123 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-07-03, 08:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail I_AM_HE Click to send private message to I_AM_HE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: america has gone crazy in a "huge" way"
Thats just my 10 cents

your 2 cents is 400% overweight, and yet you compain about Ruben?

i do find the jabs at josh's weight and relative silence about ruben to be rather odd though

TechNoir 9741 desperate attention whore postings

05-07-03, 08:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TechNoir Click to send private message to TechNoir Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: america has gone crazy in a "huge" way"
Somehow you being opposed to Reuben for the good of society sounds like a bunch of crap to me.

If you find women who look like emaciated sluts attractive, that is your choice. And of course you can oppose whoever you want. But don't tell is about the "health" issue and a good message because you oppose Reuben. Anorexia and STDs are health issues too.

"Half of Tech's charm is that sometimes I have no idea what she's talking about" -- True

SaphireLady 2491 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

05-07-03, 09:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SaphireLady Click to send private message to SaphireLady Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: america has gone crazy in a "huge" way"
Oh my Gosh. We have finally agreed on something. Has the sky fallen? **looks around, sky is still there** Will wonders never seize.... Great job, stated much better then I could have.

"Now I will believe that there are unicorns..." William Shakespeare; "The Tempest"

smiley 2009 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

05-08-03, 08:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail smiley Click to send private message to smiley Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: america has gone crazy in a "huge" way"
LAST EDITED ON 05-08-03 AT 08:01 AM (EST)

**I feel that Christina has the body of what the ideal women should be**

biting my tongue right now.....

05-07-03, 08:08 PM (EST)
4. "RE: america has gone crazy in a "huge" way"
LAST EDITED ON 05-07-03 AT 08:13 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 05-07-03 AT 08:10 PM (EST)

I dont hate anyone (for the record) just ruben.

05-07-03, 09:12 PM (EST)
7. "RE: america has gone crazy in a "huge" way"
"Anorexia and STDs are health issues too"

I dont see any of the others like josh or clay displaying these things but reuben and kim do display something that is very wrong with this country and thats being overweight. It is sad that its starting to become ok to be overweight, I mean it is a health issue and just because it does make me sick to look at them and because I think that all women should look like christina does not change that at all, so dont hate on christina cause she looks good any women or man can look good if they just try to take care of themselves and not destroy there body.

I_AM_HE 6123 desperate attention whore postings

05-07-03, 09:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail I_AM_HE Click to send private message to I_AM_HE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: america has gone crazy in a "huge" way"
Kim is a lovely young lady
Josh's weight is not terribly troublesome (read: not really at all)

Ruben's is, but that is HIS issue. it should not be a factor in judging his VOICE. (the overdependence on background vocals, however, should be)

and Christina is a whore, 100 pounds or 1000.

TechNoir 9741 desperate attention whore postings

05-07-03, 09:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TechNoir Click to send private message to TechNoir Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: america has gone crazy in a "huge" way"
just because it does make me sick to look at them and because I think that all women should look like christina does not change that at all

Well you know I have a suggestion for you. Turn the TV off.

And don't every have girl children.

"Half of Tech's charm is that sometimes I have no idea what she's talking about" -- True

TourGirl 98 desperate attention whore postings

05-07-03, 09:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TourGirl Click to send private message to TourGirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: america has gone crazy in a "huge" way"
OK, this thread has GOT to be the most ignorant one I've read on the boards so far! I agree that it's unfortunate that so many people in the US are overweight, but you know what's an even bigger problem than that? IGNORANT, INTOLERANT people! As you said, weight is an issue that (more times than not) can be changed. Unfortunately, ignorance and intolerance is obviously not as easily reformed! Before people obsess about "looking good," they should be more concerned with acting like a decent human being and treating others with respect, whether they think those people "look good" or not.

Sara

SaphireLady 2491 desperate attention whore postings

05-07-03, 10:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SaphireLady Click to send private message to SaphireLady Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: america has gone crazy in a "huge" way"
Nicely stated. Also there is a saying that comes to mind.

"I might be fat, but your ugly, and I can lose weight". While I have no idea what anyone looks like, and I am not saying anyone is ugly, just then "thin" only attitude is ugly.

Sara am not calling you that either. I agree with what you said. I was/am just adding a saying that I remember to your statement.

"Now I will believe that there are unicorns..." William Shakespeare; "The Tempest"

L82LIFE 5333 desperate attention whore postings

05-08-03, 11:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail L82LIFE Click to send private message to L82LIFE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: america has gone crazy in a "huge" way"
Thank you, Tour Girl, for saying exactly what I was thinking.

Treating other people with kindness and consideration is much more important than how you look. This post reminds me of some of the comments being made by Heidi and Jenna on Survivor. It sickens me to think that people could possibly feel as if looks are more important than actions. Maybe it's because the actions of those that share that belief are sub-par and they try to cover that up with their looks.

Ruben made a comment the other night that his Momma taught him to listen when others were talking. To see that he was taught respect is more important in my opinion of Ruben (not in the competition, but as a person) than his weight or his singing.

Connie E 117 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-08-03, 12:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Connie%20E Click to send private message to Connie%20E Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: america has gone crazy in a "huge" way"
I can certainly understand that Reuben has some health issues going with his weight, but I think you're a bit out on a limb saying that Kim is "at risk" health-wise. She's probably not....society sets a tremendous importance upon being a size 2, with five percent body fat, particularly for women.

Believe me, I teach eighth grade, and getting yet another note from guidance saying that "little so and so has been purging again, please keep an eye on her" is nothing new. Exactly how healthy is THAT???

Kim is about my size, probably. I've gained around 17 pounds in the past five years, mainly because I had two children after the age of 40. I've discussed it repeatedly with my doctor, and he's convinced me that I don't HAVE to be a size 8 again to be healthy. I'm well WITHIN the weight I need to be to stay healthy,as long as I exercise and and stay active. Believe me, with a five year old and an infant, that's not hard to do.

Kim seems to me to be an active, healthy, young lady. Her weight ISN'T a health issue, but THANK YOU SO MUCH, ruben hater, for your concern for America's health.

PrettyInPink 85 desperate attention whore postings

05-08-03, 01:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PrettyInPink Click to send private message to PrettyInPink Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: america has gone crazy in a "huge" way"
LAST EDITED ON 05-08-03 AT 01:18 PM (EST)

Kim is about my size, probably. I've gained around 17 pounds in the past five years, mainly because I had two children after the age of 40. I've discussed it repeatedly with my doctor, and he's convinced me that I don't HAVE to be a size 8 again to be healthy. I'm well WITHIN the weight I need to be to stay healthy,as long as I exercise and and stay active.

Believe me, if you're about Kim Locke's size, you're completely normal! One of our clients where I work is a big cosmetics company, so we're constantly doing research on what the average woman weighs vs. what America's perception, based on the media, is of what they think the average woman weighs. It should interest you to know that the average American woman is a size 12. And that's not because American's have an obesity problem (I think there *is* a trend towards obesity in this country, but within the context of this reply, I'm talking about two very different things) - that's just because of the body type of a normal, healthy woman. So you're fine - you're doctor is right, skinny doesn't mean healthy, or even attractive, necessarily.

The industry I work in is considered a "glamour" industry (we're in NYC). I'm surrounded by these girls in my office who are starving themselves so they can say they fit in a size 0 or a size 2. They're not happy people, believe me. They're cranky, snappish and self-centered, because they've starved themselves to fit into the latest fashions and it's all they can think about. And I'd venture to guess they're not very healthy. I'm a size 8, and I'm pretty much what would be considered a "big fat cow" around here. Not that I care - I'm at least enjoying what I eat and not worrying about if my butt's a little bigger than my average co-worker's. As for Kim, she isn't even near what I would consider "obese" - she's chunky, but what of it? She looks healthy enough to me, and believe it or not, she fits in with most of America.

"His name is Blane??? That's a major appliance, that's not a name!!"

I_AM_SHOCKED 50 desperate attention whore postings

05-07-03, 09:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail I_AM_SHOCKED Click to send private message to I_AM_SHOCKED Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: america has gone crazy in a "huge" way"
None of em have the "image" of a pop idol.

Each has major flaws.

Which is why none of them had recording contracts before.

thats the honest to goodness 680 pound truth.

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-07-03, 09:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail managerr Click to send private message to managerr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: america has gone crazy in a "huge" way"
Frankly, if Ruben or Kimberely Locke wins, I would be shocked if they make him a Pop Idol. I think they will turn him into R&B or maybe even hip hop.

It will be the ultimate test of the Pop Industry if Ruben wins. Pop Singers just aren't overweight and mostly attractive. I would guess that if you took a demographic of Ruben fans, they would be older, and they will cater to that market. I just can't see him singing bubblegum pop like Kelly is singing.

However, America can vote however they wants. The majority of America is overweight and more people are becoming obese every year. It clearly runs in his family, and if he is ok with it, why shouldn't you be? And I'd guess that more women are closer to Kimberley Locke's weight than Christina Aguilera's.

(That said, I am more appalled at Josh's apparent weight, mainly considering his occupation.)

ejm92 2221 desperate attention whore postings

05-07-03, 10:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ejm92 Click to send private message to ejm92 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: america has gone crazy in a "huge" way"
LAST EDITED ON 05-07-03 AT 10:10 PM (EST)

Just as it has been said, I don't think weight is a problem with anybody other than the person whose weight is being questioned. Even if Ruben was living healthy and exercising 12 hours a day and eating absolutely nothing, do you really think he would lose a lot of weight? NO, it's in his genes, and he has a big frame for a big body. Being the "big guy" is just his calling in life.

Josh was a little overweight to be a top Marine, but that's not our problem, plenty of people found it acceptable enough to vote for him. Kim Locke is a little overweight, but is anybody upset? It's just their frames and how their gene pools are. Clay has the skinny geeky gene pool, so he's a skinny gooky looking guy.

Anyway....I think Ruben has a talented voice for his genre. Remember, this show is not called "Pop Idol" as it was in Britain. This is "American Idol", and the winner really isn't specified a genre according to the title of the show. Although I think Clay is a shoe-in to win, what is everybody's sudden problem with Ruben? He's a Luther Vandross R&B voice, please let him sing what is comfortable for him to sing...I'd hate to see one of us up there trying to duplicate what he does week after week.

Survior 5 Anti-Bootee Champ, Survivor 6 Anti-Bootee Chump

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

05-07-03, 10:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: america has gone crazy in a "huge" way"
I used to be a Christina Aguilera fan, when she focused on singing. But now that she just whores herself out in her videos and has chosen to be a diva slut instead of a singer, I have gotten bored, bored, bored with her.

The little pop bimbos that some people try to hold up as ideals are unhealthy too. Being underweight also holds significant health risks. Some people who are overweight are quite active and are actually at a lower health risk than sedentary people in the normal weight range.

Which is the better standard to hold out there for fans to emulate - emaciated or obese? The real answer is neither of the above, but that's unrealistic at this point. Instead, a positive message could be sent that people can be judged on ability rather than appearance. Moving away from that shallow approach would do more to promote health than banning all people with an above normal BMI from being in the public eye. That sort of approach would allow youngsters to develop a positive self-image instead of being lured by an unrealistic standard that can lead to body loathing and eating disorders.

So we've gotten to the final 3 of a performing contest, and the viewers have said loud and clear that they prefer talent to a perfect package. I, for one, could not be happier. I don't think it's condoning obesity. I think it's demanding substance instead of just another pretty face. Telling record producers that the American public wants to hear more types of music than the pop music industry is currently delivering is a win for everyone, since it means we may get more choices in the future. They may be willing to give the public someone who doesn't fit their formula but has talent nonetheless.

Bebo says...919 beats 205 - I am your American Idol and the Baroness of Babedom.

ivoryElephant 2257 desperate attention whore postings

05-08-03, 01:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ivoryElephant Click to send private message to ivoryElephant Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "bdelrey? bradyboy?"
Just checking.

PrettyInPink 85 desperate attention whore postings

05-08-03, 06:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PrettyInPink Click to send private message to PrettyInPink Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: america has gone crazy in a "huge" way"
This year, we're clearly getting talent over "the pretty package" with our final three, and I'm thrilled. I'm tired of seeing these pretty little perfect people who can't sing a whit.

Am I a Ruben fan? No way. I think he has a lovely voice, but he's not changed it up once within this competition. He's on the Luther Vandross Rollercoaster, and he's not givin' up his seat. Does his weight figure into it? No, not at all. He could weigh 100 lbs. or 500 and he still needs to take risks with what he sings.

Of course, I'm no angel - I've taken a couple of pot-shots at the big man for his weight. Probably alot of us here have. But I wouldn't say that Ruben and Kim Locke shouldn't be on our TVs because of their weight. They should be judged on what this contest is about - singing. And to put Kim in the same category as Ruben is an insult to her - she's miles ahead of him, talent-wise, and she takes her risks where she needs to. If you want to make this contest a weigh-in, then my baby Clay is pretty underweight - there. Happy?

Some of the most attractive "singers" on the charts now are some of the most wretchedly untalented. We had that last year. Hell, we had it this year with Carmen and some of the other girls in the wildcard show. I'm not a Ruben fan, but clearly people are not turning off their TVs in disgust over his weight. He's in the top three for a reason - because people want to hear his voice, not gawk at how much he weighs.

"His name is Blane??? That's a major appliance, that's not a name!!"

Mysterious Jedi 1043 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

05-08-03, 02:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Mysterious%20Jedi Click to send private message to Mysterious%20Jedi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: america has gone crazy in a "huge" way"
Kim is HOT!
She's got a kickin' body if you ask me.

L82LIFE 5333 desperate attention whore postings

05-08-03, 02:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail L82LIFE Click to send private message to L82LIFE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: america has gone crazy in a "huge" way"
I*Heart*Jedi.

He knows how to appreciate a woman.

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings

05-08-03, 02:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ahtumbreez Click to send private message to Ahtumbreez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: america has gone crazy in a "huge" way"
Me too, L8.
I'm thinking Jedi has the qualities of a major stud muffin. Extra butter, please.

(c) 2003 GeorgiaBelle Creations,Inc. All rights reserved
Celebrity Mole PTTE Champion

tig_ger 2098 desperate attention whore postings

05-08-03, 02:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tig_ger Click to send private message to tig_ger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: america has gone crazy in a "huge" way"
Dont get me wrong I have nothing agaisnt big people, but I mean nobody wants to see a guy or women for that matter become a star in the music world who looks like that. I mean its a disgrace if america votes for a man who weighs 1000 pounds to be the winner of this contest.

Oh, I'm so sorry. I didn't realize that American Idol was a beauty contest. I had originally thought that it was a talent contest with the prize being a recording contract, but I guess I must have been mistaken.

For me, it is a lot of fun to "bash" each of the contestants. Their appearance doesn't affect who I ultimately vote for, but it does amuse me to critique the appearance of each contestant. There is so much material to work with. As I look at the final 12 contestents this year, I don't think there were any women that I wished I looked like and no men I thought were hot either. I did, however, see a lot of people who could sing better than me. I don't think that's what this contest is about--totally attractive talented people have probably already been signed automatically. You are free to disagree, of course.

My personal opinion re: Christina Aguilera for what it's worth--she has a great metabolism. (I know one of her personal chefs) I wouldn't consider her diet the model of good health, and her the perfect image of what a woman should look like. Although I am personally a size 2, I think there is a wide range of acceptable weight for people. I don't think Calista Flockhart is too skinny and I don't think Camryn Mainheim is too fat. I think the important thing is to be healthy--and I think Kim Locke, Josh Gracin and Clay Aiken look healthy. I worry a little bit about Ruben, but for him personally, and if I thought he was the best singer, I wouldn't hesitate to vote for him.

A Kyngsladye Original

lilgypsy 128 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-08-03, 03:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail lilgypsy Click to send private message to lilgypsy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: america has gone crazy in a "huge" way"
If anything, I think it is about time that we have people like Rueben who aren't perfect and let the children that know that you don't have to be rail thin and picture perfect to succeed in life. Too often, those who aren't perfect give up because they feel they will never be the person they perceive society thinks they need to be.
As far as being a health issue, yes it can be that but that is Rueben's problem to work thru. The message I see is that he had the courage to go against the "norms" you are saying we should have in society and going for something that he really, really wants. I applaud him for that. He hasn't let the stereotypes stop him.

Mon Cherie 1813 desperate attention whore postings

05-09-03, 04:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Mon%20Cherie Click to send private message to Mon%20Cherie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: america has gone crazy in a "huge" way"
I have to add my $.02 to this one. I agree with what most have said about the type of role models we'd like to see young people have. As others have stated, I would much rather have kids, especially my niece, look up to a role model who does not fit into the anorexic-looking/fake boobs/no self-respect etc. mold. Kimberly and Ruben exude respect for themselves and others, from what little I have seen. It is really going to be interesting to see who the next AI will be.

On a side note about the music industry: I had a friend who was lead singer of a band that was just going national. He had gained some weight over the years, but by no means was obese. He also liked to wear a cowboy hat when he sang, even though their music was more on the "alternative" side. He was told by the music bigwigs that until he lost weight and his hat, they would not further promote them i.e. no videos on MTV. He ended up leaving, he hated how the fashion industry had permeated the music industry. He just loves to play music. He actually ended up losing alot of weight due to a gall bladder problem, and has moved on to playing great gigs in CA with his sister.

Mon

rilond 64 desperate attention whore postings

05-09-03, 02:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail rilond Click to send private message to rilond Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: america has gone crazy in a "huge" way"
That discrimination!!. Yes, I know he weights a lot. But, I have a strong feeling if he were to win or come in second in the competition.. the firt thing that the producers or the record label will do is talk with him and put his some kind of diet. Rueben knows that being an American Idol requires many guest shots, etc. He has a lot of talent and a beautiful voice. With that weight gone he will have a lot of sex appeal.

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings

05-09-03, 02:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail managerr Click to send private message to managerr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: america has gone crazy in a "huge" way"
It's not necessarily looks. It's image. Ruben won't be marketed as as a sex symbol singer like some AI contestants would. That's why there won't be a pressing push for him to lose weight.

If anything, I definitely think America proved that with this competition that image *does* matter. A lot of people with only appealing image to offer outlasted others with only appealing vocals. The Final 3 are there because they have *both*. Maybe not the model looks, but they are all able to make their attractiveness come out to the general audience. And they can sing.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •