The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

03-22-06, 07:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
Here is my weekly assessment of our contestants on "50's Night" with the help of Barry Manilow. Like the last time Manilow helped out, i think this was a very consistant performance night. He's obviously quite good at doing this!

Everyone did quite well with few exceptions. I think we may end up with an early shocker tonight, we'll have to wait and see.

1) Chris - Again, i put the guy up there on top. My opinion of him seems to be changing on a weekly basis. Earlier this week, i posted that i wanted to see him step outside of his comfort box, but then he comes back with a performance like he did last night where he takes a very familiar and loved song and twists it into a completely fresh alternative-ish song. I was blown away. Not his best, but the best tonight. I'm flip-flopping and agree with Simon. Chris knows who he is, and brings that every week. I shall now shut up about him stepping out of his comfort zone.

2) Katherine - I said it last week, and I'll say it again. Her niche is the Norah Jones jazzy/pop genre. She does it very very well and she was hot tonight.

3) Mandisa - As I've said before, she can sing anything. Also, like Katherine, she was hot and sexy tonight.

4) Elliot - he started off a bit rocky, but he pulled it all together and brought back the Elliot from the initial rounds. Great great performance.

5) Taylor - I hate putting my favorite this low, but this was not the best song choice. This was a performance piece, and not a singing piece. His weakest, but as Taylor can do, he entertains!

6) Ace - Not bad, but I still do not get the Ace-Love

7) Kevin - Kevin's BEST performance so far. He did really really well. He's not going home tonight, all you Kev-haters. After that, he deserves to stick around.

8) Kellie - She picked a country-twang song so she was comfortable. I still don't get the Picker-Luv-Factor. Again it was quite a boring performance.

9) Paris - a 17 year old singing about a guy giving her a fever all day and night. Tell me people, is it just me who was turned off by this song and performance coming out of a 17-year old's mouth? Completely inappropriate, with inappropriate moves to match. She's got the pipes, use it on a song more appropriate.

10) Lisa - to me, she seemed way "off" tonight and not into the song at all. Something wasn't right. I did not enjoy it.

11) Bucky - Worst of the night. To me, Bucky just isn't growing as a performer. I was hoping for more.

In my opinion, the bottom three should be Paris/Lisa/Bucky.

But something in my gut tells me that the bottom three could be another surprise? We'll see soon enough.

geekboy

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... habman 03-22-06 1
   RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... aquariaqueen 03-22-06 9
 RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... geg6 03-22-06 2
   RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... tamarama 03-22-06 38
 RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... Magnolia_Rocker 03-22-06 3
 RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... Glow 03-22-06 4
   RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... greenmonstah 03-22-06 15
 RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... xwraith27 03-22-06 5
 RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... archon 03-22-06 6
 RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... TanNymph 03-22-06 7
 RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... Maroonclown 03-22-06 8
   RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... nailbone 03-22-06 11
 RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... emydi 03-22-06 10
 RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... nailbone 03-22-06 12
 RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... CattyChat 03-22-06 13
 RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... PhoenixMons 03-22-06 14
   RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... emydi 03-22-06 19
 RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... Lisapooh 03-22-06 16
   RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... nailbone 03-22-06 17
       RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... frisky 03-22-06 21
           RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... nailbone 03-22-06 24
       RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... geekboy 03-22-06 28
           RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... nailbone 03-22-06 36
               RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... tamarama 03-22-06 40
 RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... jags 03-22-06 18
 RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... Devious Weasel 03-22-06 20
   RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... selah 03-22-06 22
   RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... tamarama 03-22-06 41
 RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... frisky 03-22-06 23
   RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... nailbone 03-22-06 25
       RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... Magnolia_Rocker 03-22-06 26
 RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... LakerLuv 03-22-06 27
 RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... Tahj 03-22-06 29
 RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... Breezy 03-22-06 30
 RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... samboohoo 03-22-06 31
 RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... Iconoclastic 03-22-06 32
 RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... ElroyJetson 03-22-06 33
 RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... FOXmePUHLEEZ 03-22-06 34
 RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... Fishercat 03-22-06 35
 RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... tamarama 03-22-06 37
   RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... Breezy 03-22-06 39
       RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's... mistyrose52 03-22-06 42

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

habman 9 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

03-22-06, 08:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail habman Click to send private message to habman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
> Like the last
>time Manilow helped out, i
>think this was a very
>consistant performance night. He's
>obviously quite good at doing
>this!

I am mostly a lurker as I rarely post but I wanted to comment on Barry Manilow.

Growing up in the 70's made it easy for me to like Barry Manilow but it seems now a day that the younger people roll their eyes when they talk about this man and his music.

I thought that he did an exceptional job last night with finding the weak points in the songs the idols chose and gave them excellent advice on how to improve their performances. And most, if not all of the performers, took his advice to heart and used it to make for a really quality show.

This was fifties night so I was anticipating it to be a disaster but I was actually quite pleased with how it turned out and I think the contestants are all better for having the opportunity to work with Mr. Copacabana.

Way to go Barry!

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

03-22-06, 09:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aquariaqueen Click to send private message to aquariaqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
I agree, they showed us a lot of good constructive coaching from Barry that I don't remember being shown in the past from other guests.

I wish the judges would do this also....the judges are so weak.

Ok, Randy is getting weak, Paula, well, she's just glad everyone's having fun, and Simon has it, but is seemingly holding back.

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-22-06, 08:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
Boy, Manilow really brings out the best in these people. He's a really terrific coach. Never a fan of his, I was impressed. Again.

1. Chris - He completely blew me away. I was standing up in my living room, cheering, at the end. THAT should be immediately released as a single. I can't see anyone topping that.

BIG GAP!!!!!!

2. Katherine - The jazzy, smoky, basement nightclub stuff suits her to a tee. Amazing control and she looked smokin' last night. She's hot.

3. Ace - I can't believe I have him here, but I was completely impressed. Great song for him and I think he finally really stepped out here. Almost being axed was good for him.

4. Elliott - He really does have an amazing voice. I still just don't see a lot of showmanship from him. He still always seems nervous to me. Wish he'd get more confident.

5. Mandisa - She really can belt it out. But I see more in the Broadway diva role than the American Idol. She did a great job here and looked fantastic.

6. Taylor - His first really bad song choice. He's always fun to watch, but didn't have that special spark he usually has.

7. Kevin - *gasp* Perfect song for him and he did a pretty good job with it. I still don't think he should be here, though.

8. Paris - I was skeeved out by her song choice. Yes, she can sing. But it was nowhere close to the great Peggy Lee. And did I mention that her song choice skeeved me out?

9. Bucky - Ummmm...serviceable?

10. Kellie - I'm totally over her. And I love Patsy Cline. I know Patsy Cline. Kellie, you're no Patsy Cline.

11. Lisa - Awful. Horrible. I felt so sorry for her. Looked like a nervous implosion to me. Gotta go now. Too bad.

Goddess of the Steeler Nation

tamarama 1785 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-06, 04:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tamarama Click to send private message to tamarama Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
38. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
>>Paris - I was skeeved out by her song choice.<<

AMEN!!

>>I love Patsy Cline. I know Patsy Cline. Kellie, you're no Patsy Cline.<<

Can I get another AMEN!!

Magnolia_Rocker 2139 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

03-22-06, 08:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Magnolia_Rocker Click to send private message to Magnolia_Rocker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
Much better show this week than last, unfortunately for me some of the peeps I really can't stand did very well tonight so I will have to be honest in my rankings. *sigh*

1. Chris - Can this man do nothing wrong? Way to put your taste into a Johnny Cash song. Absolutely brilliant. His voice could melt butter.

2. Mandisa - I love her look. I love her presence on stage. I love the soul she puts into her songs. I just wish someone would tell her she screams still at times so she would stop doing that.

3. Katharine - Loved the performance! She looked like a little sex kitten slinking all over the stage. Her vocals were awesome, a missed note or two but nothing devastating. Just beautiful.

4. Elliott - He looked much more comfortable on stage tonight and seemed to get into the song more. His voice was superb as always. Stylists...please let his hair grow out!!!!

5. Taylor - Boring song. I was so not impressed tonight. I still love Taylor and thought what he sang was good and of course he looks like the energizer bunny on stage. He keeps going, and going, and going...

6. Paris - *I hate putting her this high!!!* Unfortunately Paris did very well tonight. I'm hoping this is her peak week and she'll sink back down for the rest of the competition.

7. Kellie - I think she did much better this week than in previous weeks. Apparently Barry gave her great advice and she listened and put them into her performance. She looked a little awkward at times but overall I think she did well. Big improvement IMO.

8. Kevin - *Another one I hate putting this high..arggh!!!* Vocally he did a good job but the whole time he was singing I was yelling at him to take his dang hand out of his pocket. And that's all I have to say about that.

9. Ace - Not much to say here 'cept the boy needs another 4 boys to join him and start up N'Sync part deaux.

10. Bucky - *I hate putting him this low..whaaa!* Sorry Bucky but this was just wretched. He's working it on stage better now but he has let his vocals slide in the process. Need to be able to do both hun.

11. Lisa - WTH??!! This was just plain a.w.f.u.l. Blech, I couldn't wait for her to get off my TV. The vocals were horrible, her stage presence is horrible, I didn't really care for what she had on tonight, all in all it was a train wreck. I think she might be our boot tonight unless being in the bottom 3 last week and having a not good performance last night kicks her fan base in gear to dial maniacally. Hope she doesnt go cause there goes my PTTE. :p

Siggy thanks to Syren!

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-06, 08:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
1. Chris - best.idol.contestant.ever. By a freakin' mile. I got chills. Love him. LOVE him. Nobody is even near his league.
2. Mandisa - She was amazing. She looked and sounded incredible.
3. Paris - That was fantastic.
4. Katharine - Not her best vocal but hotdamn that girl was smokin'. I might have a crush on her.
5. Kellie - I thought I had just decided I was done with her and that was a perfect song choice. Very nice.
6. Elliot - Kinda boring but man that boy can sing.
7. Ace - I think I drooled a little. Very nice. He shouldn't be in the bottom three again this week. mmmm
8. Bucky - I love his voice and this song didn't showcase it enough.
9. Taylor - yeesh, dude. It's a singing competition. Pick a song with some lyrics in it next time. It was a great performance but the vocals were really lacking - what little vocals there were.
10. Kevin - I liked this song on him. He did a good job. He should come back for like AI10.
11. Lisa - What happened to her? That was terrible. She should come back for like AI10.

greenmonstah 10761 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-06, 10:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail greenmonstah Click to send private message to greenmonstah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
"9. Taylor - yeesh, dude. It's a singing competition. Pick a song with some lyrics in it next time. It was a great performance but the vocals were really lacking - what little vocals there were."

Wait. I thought Paula said it was a dancing competition too.

I agree with you, Glow Pop. I hope he never does that the little drunk dancing karaoke number again. It was downright disturbing. But then again, Taylor creeps me out. He acts like he is 17 and yet he looks like he is 45. (And I am not refering to the premature gray either. That is kind of charming.) He is odd. And the white bucks did not help his cause either.

There is such a big difference between Chris (an artist) and Taylor (a goofball).

xwraith27 1136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

03-22-06, 09:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail xwraith27 Click to send private message to xwraith27 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
1. Katharine
2. Paris
3. Chris
4. Elliott
5. Mandisa
6. Taylor
7. Lisa
8. Kellie
9. Ace
10. Kevin
11. Bucky

archon 178 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-22-06, 09:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail archon Click to send private message to archon Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
1. Chris - Even if it turns out he did steal this version from Live without giving props.
2. Mandisa - Larger-than-Life on stage.
3. Katherine - Not so much the voice, but the whole package. Girl still needs a better stylist..

GAP

4. Paris - Performs really well. Not my style, but cant deny the talent.
5. Kellie - Sounds pretty, but looked like a bad impression of Tammy Wynett (sp?)
6. Elliot - OK - but still cannon fodder...
7. Taylor - I really like him, but not a good night. Almost like he had no passion for the song...

Friggin' Chasm

8. Ace - Hate hate hate falseto. About the only time I have ever heard it even listen-able was the BeeGees.
9. Bucky - Not great for me dog...
10. Kevin - Votefortheworst.com spokesperson
11. Lisa - Wish she would do more. I think she can, but does she?

Archon

"You can get more with a 2x4 and a kind word than with just a kind word." (Marcus, B5)

TanNymph 309 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

03-22-06, 09:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TanNymph Click to send private message to TanNymph Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
1. Katharine - wow
2. Chris - wow
3. Mandisa - wow
4. Taylor - pretty good, didn't like song choice
5. Paris - she can sing, just not my taste
6. Kellie - I love Patsy Cline, thought it was a good choice, but how do you "over-twang" a Patsy Cline song? Still MUCH better than last week.
7. Ace - only because he is a hottie, it was just aw-ight for me dawg.
8. Lisa - really expected more from her, she has a great voice, sing something to showcase it.
9. Elliot - another good singer, but he just doesn't do it for me
10. Bucky - He's just a good bar singer, out of his league here
11. Kevin - sorry, not feeling the chicken little love

My favorite is Chris. I'd buy his cd right now. And not just because he is a major hottie.

Maroonclown 5829 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-06, 09:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Maroonclown Click to send private message to Maroonclown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
LAST EDITED ON 03-22-06 AT 10:49 AM (EST)

I usually don't do the ratings threads but with a Manliow night I can't help myself.

As a HUGE fan of Barry Manilow I was looking forward to the behind-the-scenes with Barry more than I was the onstage performances, I could watch that man 'till the cows come home, whether it be interviews or performances. I.LOVE.HIM.

Okay, enough of that.

1. Chris - he can do no wrong. With all the tribute albums coming out about Johnny Cash, Chris should definitely be included with that rendition of Walk The Line. Hey, Johnny put his stamp on alt. rock for his last album so why not?

2. Constantine - for just sitting in the audience lookin' fine.

3. Man-diva - Girl's got pipes but eventually someone is going to mention her weight. It's not right but it will come up. I think she's got a shot on broadway after all of this though.

4. Kathrine - I don't really like her but her song choice was great, she did a great job and even though it goes against my grain I have to put her up in fourth place.

5. Paris - She has one more week before I start lowering her on the list. Needs to act her age. The sexy hip swing that always needs to be done when singing Fever is too sexy for her. She can't pull it off and she shouldn't even try. A Debbie Reynolds or a Doris Day song could work for her.

6. Taylor - dropped for me this week. Coulda, shoulda, woulda, done a Ray Charles song and would have done a much better job at it than what he did last night.

7. Elliot - I liked him better than Kevin, Kelly, Bucky, Lisa and Ace

8. Kevin - I think this is the best he's ever sang and if he's going to keep getting put through by votefortheworst.com then he might as well make the best of it. He was right to pick that song and, thank you Barry, do it with an innocence of someone who has not yet known twue wov.

9. Lisa - The thing that I found off with her is her energy in her singing lagged about an 1/8 of a second behind the band so it was like she was always trying to catch up. Just way off for me.

10. Bucky - I like Bucky when he sings - not so much when he talks. But the song choice tonight was wrong, wrong, wrong. He could've gone Elvis but that would have been too cliche.

11. Kelly - Hate her - think she's a fake. Want her gone.

12. Ace - He started off bad, he got worse and he's totally riding on his looks, which are not holding up for me over the long haul. And he has to stop doing two things that really annoy me - the Jesus pose and the hand on the chest/stomach.

One last general complaint - everyone need to stop pointing. It's a tired move.

edited because I forgot Man-diva and then I screwed up my numbers and, doh!

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-06, 09:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
12. Ace - He started off bad, he got worse and he's totally riding on his looks, which are not holding up for me over the long haul. And he has to stop doing two things that really annoy me - the Jesus pose and the hand on the chest/stomach.

And don't forget the "look deep into the camera and reach out to the audience".

Sig by Arkie!!

Holey carp! My blog! MySpace!
Official OT Tassel Adjuster o-

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-06, 09:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
I way be off base but here's what I think (dn look at others first)

1. Mandisa-she was phenomenal last night and she looked FABULOUS!! Def. her best week!!

2. Chris-he has not compromised and he shouldn't. His rendition of a very "in" song bc of the Movie was terrific, the ending was phenomenal!

3. Elliott-he did a great job singing and he even seemed to come out of his shell...I think Barry helped him with that, Barry seems to be a very good teacher for the idol wanna bes.

4. Ace-it wasn't the best of the nite, but for him, it was probably the best (except for maybe Father Figure) he is def. not in bottom 3 tonite.

5. Paris-I liked how she looked and it was a good performance, and she seemed to be more humble (but is she just acting like Pickler?) The problem is she was at the beg. of show and people may have forgotten about her

6. Katherine-This is the one singer I disagreed with Simon about. I just don't see her as a "star" she's too eh for me. She did a good job tho and she is safe

7. Kevin-Simon was 100% right, he sang the right song and he sang it the best way to his fans and they will respond and actually it was not that bad to listen to (yeah, the lisp still bothers me)

8. Taylor-def. his worst performance singing wise--it WAS a mess (and his dancing was a mess too)..who was this song by? I forget...he should have went with a Ray Charles hit...fast

9. Kellie-ok her blush is way too dark and she kept singing Sealerching instead of searching in the song and it just grated on my last nerve. She is so fake it sickens me. But she will be safe again UGH

10. Lisa-totally boring and the song choice was boring and stale

11. Bucky-oh my that was bad...really bad

Will be in BOTTOM THREE

Paris (bc she was so early) It could be Taylor too, but I think he has a large fan base
Lisa
Bucky

Will go

Bucky

SHOULD BE in BOTTOM THREE

Kellie
Lisa
Bucky

Should go

Bucky (sorry Glowie, I like him too, but I don't see him going on after last nite's performance)

03-22-06, 10:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
1. Chris - WOW!! I'll buy any CD he puts out!

2. Katharine - WOW!! Hot hot smokin' hot!!

3. Mandisa - her usual good performance

4. Taylor - not the best song choice, but he's just so much fun!

5. Eliot - not my fave, but pretty good for him

6. Ace - not too bad

7. Kellie - I just love to look at her, what can I say? And this was a perfect song for her. She did over-twang just a bit, though. The "interview" spot with Ryan after she sang dropped her several places in my eyes, though.

8. Paris - she's OK, but has the "eh" factor.

9. Kevin - not bad, but I just can't see him in a video, or doing well on the radio

10. Lisa - she just seemed kinda off...not exactly on key, not exactly on tempo. And a HUGE "eh" factor for me.

11. Bucky - uh oh. Not a good song, not very well done.

Sig by Arkie!!

CattyChat 3379 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

03-22-06, 10:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail CattyChat Click to send private message to CattyChat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
Barry Manilow was my first crush back when I was about 6 years old. He is very underrated and it's nice to see how much he enjoys HELPING other singers. He really brought out (or tried to bring out) the best in the contestants. Some of them listened better than others.

1. Chris - Chris had the best performance of the night. Even when he struggled (problems with the lower register) it didn't matter, because he emoted that song so well. Doesn't matter what happens, he's on his way. He has the look and sound. Didn't like the edit giving him all credit for the arrangement, though.

2. Kellie - I'm probably in the minority on these boards, but I thought Kellie sounded great last night. This is her genre and she does it well. I just like the sound of her voice and I am still giving her the benefit of the doubt that she is NOT playing a part. 2 things: (1) I noticed were that she seemed less bubbly Kellie in the interview portion & I am wondering if she's hearing some of the haters & it's getting to her. (2) Whoever did her makeup should be fired. That was hideous & I felt bad for her. It was like the Steve Carell/Will Ferrell Oscar skit about the makeup artists. Kellie looked better before they got the professional stylists & makeup.

3. Katharine - She sounded great & looked great. She's a beautiful, classy, girl-next-door. I'm a big fan.

4. Taylor - I can't believe he's this far down on my list. He lost a little of his fire last night & the song didn't do justice to his vocal abilities. BUT he still sang & performed well. Hopefully better song choice next week, because Taylor is one of the best of all AI seasons.

SMALL GAP
5. Mandisa - No doubt she can sing. Couple of rough spots, but she started the night well.

6. Elliott - Another one who can sing. After listening to Barry, I now know what has been missing from Elliott, and that is his connecting with the song, feeling it, telling a story with it. It's true, he just comes out and sings well, but there is no feeling or passion or energy in it (what TAYLOR & Chris have). He did better with Barry's suggestions. Hopefully he'll get out of robot mode and improve.

7. Ace - Pretty good from the pretty boy. He's stepping it up a notch. While I love to look at pretty Ace, he's just not a stand out singer. If I just heard him sing & didn't see him, I would turn it off. I'm not ready for him to be out just yet, though.

UH, IS THIS AMERICAN IDOL OR STAR SEARCH?

8. Paris - She's on my nerves the most of all the contestants. How many times has she been told to sing something YOUNGER? She doesn't listen to anybody. I also got the feeling she wasn't receptive to Barry Manilow's advice. I get the sense Paris has been groomed by her stage mother & stage grandmother for so long, her head is big and she thinks she knows better than anyone else. There is a lot of potential there, but I think she needs to be knocked down and rebuilt. She's another one who really struggles with the lower register and there were a lot of off-key moments again last night.

9. Lisa - I feel sorry for her. She has a great voice, but being in the bottom 3 devastated her & it showed in her performance last night. She was like Melissa in her last performances, desperate, and it comes through in the performance. She has a future on stage on TV -- she's adorable and a good singer with a lot of potential.

10. Bucky - That was dreadful. I think there's someone else who deserves to go before him, but he's on borrowed time if he squeaks by tonight.

11. Kevin - I'm sorry, but Kevin does NOT belong here at all. Yes, he's the cute little underdog you may feel sorry for. Yes, he can sing in tune. But seriously, who is going to spend money on a record of his, with that terrible LISP???!! Who is going to pay money to go to a concert of his??? (Of course there is William Hung **boggle**) Kevin would be great as a cartoon voice/singer or on a silly sitcom, but he is just not even close to the caliber of talent on this show. He is DEFINTELY NOT a Clay Aiken in the making. I just can't stand listening to him, but I know he's going to make me suffer a few more weeks.

Kind Creation of ARNutz

PhoenixMons 4696 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

03-22-06, 10:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PhoenixMons Click to send private message to PhoenixMons Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
1. Mandisa - I saw just a little bit of Mandisa, but from what I saw, she was fantastic!

2. Paris - I don't mind Paris singing a song like Fever because it's a perfect song for her voice. Pop music these days is FULL of 14 and 15 year olds singing about breaking up with boyfriends, etc. I guess it just didn't even bother me at all...I thought she looked gorgeous, sounded fantastic, and was back to her old self again (I have a feeling Paris was coached before on the whole diva 'act' and now she's back to her old self).

3. Chris - Yeah, the guy's really good at rock...as someone who isn't into most rock, I guess it's getting a bit old. He's sexy, his voice is great, but I just wish he'd show us that he can do something else because I KNOW that he can. Break out with a little rock ballad, even. I mean, it's not like he's in any danger of getting voted off (the guy is like a shoe-in to win).

4. Elliot - I love this man. His voice is just beautiful and the control he has over it is phenomenal. He looked more comfortable on stage than he has in the past. He chose a great song for his voice/style. I hope Barry's comments about feeling the music really stay with him because that's been his biggest problem. GO ELLIOT!

5. Katharine - I love the girl, but I don't see the 'star' comment Simon made. I happen to think the 'star' comment is in large part a result of her being a gorgeous gal and not that she really has the 'it' factor as a performer. Her voice...there's no denying her talent, but just as some find Elliot boring and bland, I find her boring and bland and awkward on stage.

6. Taylor - probably his worst performance. I did like the performance well enough but the song choice was terrible. Come on Taylor...it's time to step it up!

7. Bucky, I guess - I just can't fathom putting any one of the other 4 here, so Bucky gets it by default. There's still something about him that I like, I just can't figure out what it is.

8. Kevin - I can't believe it either, but he was better than the other three. He still doesn't belong in the top 12, but he wasn't completely terrible last night.

9. Kellie - Man, she just sucks. What a fake piece of crap she is. I think she's totally overrated and really doesn't have much of a voice at all. And she looks like a complete fool on national TV.

10. Lisa - Bad, bad, bad song choice. Look, I liked her initial audition, but since then, I haven't been impresed by her. I think she's overrated and extremely BORING. She can't move on stage to save her life (totally uncoordinated), she's behind the music ALL the time, and she's just blah. She's a beautiful girl, but that will only get you so far.

11. Ace - Ace needs to go home. There is a reason he was in the bottom 3 last week. I think he should go home before Kevin. Ace sucks rocks...hell, he's not even pretty. Whomever made the comment about him needing 4 more guys to form a boy band is SOOOO right. I think maybe if there's another season of Making the Band, he should do that- they picked a whole slew of guys who couldn't sing the first time around, so he'd fit right in. He simply cannot sing. Period. He needs to go away now.

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-06, 11:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
I *heart* PMons!!!

I thought I was going crazy on how I feel about Katherine

I do think Ace will be around for a while

Lisapooh 12664 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-06, 10:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Lisapooh Click to send private message to Lisapooh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
1, Mandisa - I always thought of this as a country song - that's always the version I've heard anyway. It was awesome to hear her version of it. I always loved that song and she really really breathed life into it and made it contemporary and very soulful!

2. Katharine - Honestly, I just love her. I thought it was great and she showed tremendous presence and life.

3. Chris - If anyone else had re-interpretted a Johnny Cash song, I would have been leary, but in his hands it worked really really well. I wasn't familiar with the Live version (and I really liked that band!!!!) so this was a revelation. He's not a one-note, and I worry about him being perceived that way as the competition progresses. I would like him to step out of his comfort zone at some point.

4. Paris - I thought she performed this really well and embodied the song in a very surprising way. It's a little old for her obviously, but it worked .

5. Elliot - I love his voice , I reallyly do, but this was sorta forgettable. I hope he rebounds because he's tremendously talented and a very interesting vocalist.

6. Kevin - the hell you say? I thought he did the best possible job he could do and his fans will work the phone lines relentlessly. Best we've seen from him, glad to see him step it up when it counts.

7. Kellie - You don't sing a Patsy song unless you can pull it off, and very few people can. I thought this was a serviceable rendition, but Patsy Cline was an incredible, heartbreaking, soulful singer, so it's a really hard standard to rise to. I'm very tired of the way they are tarting this girl up. I know preschoolers who apply blush with more subtlety than they are showing with her.

8. Bucky - Lackluster and lifeless. It wasn't horrible, or anything but it was a strong night of singing and Bucky showed that he just isn't at that level. He's still a very appealing performer though.

9. Ace - I was totally underwhelmed and unimpressed. I don't know what the judges heard that I didn't, but IMO that was painful. He's got a great set of teeth though.

10. Lisa - I think it's just getting to her. She seemed really uncomfortable and the confidence and poise she has always carried is gone. She never seemed to be in sync with the band and I dunno, I just felt bad for her. A few impressive notes, but that doesn't sustain a bad performance.

11. Taylor - he's not got a thing to worry about as far as leaving yet, but really - WTF was that. The song had no range and he bounces around and skates on personality. I just don't get him AT ALL. I want to like him, because I guess I wonder what it is that I'm missing. But he's like a reject for Toto or something. ugh.

03-22-06, 10:48 AM (EST)
17. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
3. Chris - If anyone else had re-interpretted a Johnny Cash song, I would have been leary, but in his hands it worked really really well. I wasn't familiar with the Live version (and I really liked that band!!!!) so this was a revelation. He's not a one-note, and I worry about him being perceived that way as the competition progresses. I would like him to step out of his comfort zone at some point.

So this is an older song covered by a more current band, too? Carp, the pattern continues. I'm disappointed to hear that.

Sig by Arkie!!

frisky 11695 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-06, 11:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frisky Click to send private message to frisky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
Boner, please see my post near the end of the East Coast Spoilers from last night. I've summarized the discussion on some of the other boards, including *shudder* the official AI boards *shudder*.

Do NOT go to the other boards, Boner. I repeat, do NOT go to the other boards.

Rolly made this.

03-22-06, 12:09 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
no way, man! I learned a couple of seasons ago to NEVER go to those boards.

Sig by Arkie!!

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-06, 12:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
I've changed my stance on Chris and using 'cover arrangements' by other bands.

Why is this an issue? Why does this bother you? I think Chris is being smart by doing this.

Please enlighten me and try to make me change my opinion again.

geekboy

03-22-06, 03:07 PM (EST)
36. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
Preface by repeating that I love Chris and will buy whatever CD he puts out.

I just wish he'd do a song that isn't a cover of a cover of a cover. I wanna hear CHRIS's version of something, not Live's version or the Chili Pepper's version. It just takes a level of the impressiveness out of it for me. I thought his "I Walk the Line" was magnificent last night, but then today when I find out it's a cover of Live's version, it deflated just a little bit.

Sig by Arkie!!

03-22-06, 04:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tamarama Click to send private message to tamarama Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
40. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
>>I wanna hear CHRIS's version of something, not Live's version or the Chili Pepper's version. It just takes a level of the impressiveness out of it for me.<<

Agree Bone -- and it really bothers me that they made it sound like CHRIS did the arrangement himself (whether that was editing, or Chris I don't know).

I do have to say however, I don't like that version at all -- and I blame Live for that, not Chris (well, Chris picked it, so he has to shoulder some blame.)

That's not a cover or arrangement of "Walk the Line," it's a total re-write.

jags 124 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-06, 11:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jags Click to send private message to jags Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
You know I look at some of these post and wonder if we are watching the same shows. Pretty much a majority agree on the top three. But after that its a popularity contest. I agree with Simon this a singing contest not who makes Paula feel warm and whatever those drugs make her feel.
The Top Three have set themselves apat from the others, they will have to work there butts off to catch up.

1.Chris- This guy just took a song that has been just all over TV, Movies and Radio. Took a risk and I hope he puts it on his first album win or lose. Great Job.
2.Katherine- Just a awesome job with a beautiful song Ella is a favorite of mine and She did her proud.
3.Mandisa- Just performs every week. Great Job

Good jobs.
4.Elliot- he did his thing he was above average for Elliot.
5.Kellie- You know I was not sure about the whole hick act but there are others with shickts that are much worse. But she did a good job. She is looking and learning.
6.Paris- I agree she is a young lady and this was not the right song. There are so many fun songs from the fifties to choose from, in saying that she hit the notes and sang the song well.
7.Taylor- Not his best but he is safe.
8.Lisa- seemed like she was not 100% sure what direction to take the song.
9.Ace-Not bad performance but needs to show more range.
10.Bucky- this should be a 2 man race to be gone this week. And unforunately for you Kevin has a following.
11.Kevin you should have been gone weeks ago. Best Vocal preformance yet. But you are not an American Idol.

Closing Note, Barry not only gave them advice on there voice, but delivery of the song and message. Also the musical arrangement, the man did not take his time with contestants lightly. What an awesome example to set for these performers early.
My 2 cents worth. okay maybe 10 cents worth
Jags

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-06, 11:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
Tier Far And Away The Best Song Of The Night - Elliott

Tier Never Dreamed I Would Ever Rank Him This High - Kevin

Tier WHY THE HELL WON'T YOU STOP MOVING AROUND! - Taylor

Tier I Can't Believe I Am Ranking Them This High - Kellie, Ace

Tier Snoooozzze - Katherine, Mandisa, Paris

Tier Hated By The Producers - Bucky

Tier This Week's Teenager Who Is Out Of Her League - Lisa

Tier It's A Complete Ripoff Of Someone Else's Arrangement That Got Pimped As An Original Plus It Was An Unbelievably Crappy Arrangement Plus It Only Took A Month For Him To Become A Parody Of Himself And His Complete And Total Inability To Step Beyond His Comfort Zone Plus I Am Amazed Everyone Liked It So Much Cause To Me It Was Total Carp And Easily The Worst Performace Of The Night If Not One Of The Worst Performaces Ever On Idol Which I Realize Is Saying Quite A Bit - Chris

selah 94 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-22-06, 11:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail selah Click to send private message to selah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
LAST EDITED ON 03-22-06 AT 11:51 AM (EST)

the best part of the show for me was Barry Manilow.. love, love, love Barry Manilow, always have, always will..

rankings:

1. Chris - that was amazing even if I didn't care for the arrangement.. he commands the stage.
2. Mandisa - far and away the best female vocalist here
3. Katherine - in agreement the best whole package.. to me she really looks like Linda Ronstadt when she was Katherine's age.
4. Kellie - that was a great song choice for her but can she really be that simple minded to be excited about a pickle poster?
5. Paris - she did a very good job but that song is way too mature for her to be singing it
6. Kevin - I'm not a fan but except for a couple of off notes, he did a good job of one of my favorite songs...
7. Ace - hate putting him this high but he did better than last week although he always seems to be nervous and shaking in close-ups.....
8. Elliott - I really don't get him at all..
9. Taylor - shocked to put him here but as someone else posted in another thread, he really did look like Steve Martin dancing around and this is a singing competition.. what a waste of his talent.
10. Bucky - very bad song choice, made him look bad which I am sad about because he is such a sweetheart.
11. Lisa - just looks very uncomfortable on stage

edit for spelling

03-22-06, 04:48 PM (EST)
41. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
I'm pretty sure I love you, Weasel.

frisky 11695 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-06, 12:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frisky Click to send private message to frisky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
Five dead birds:

Mandisa - Perfection. I have this horrible feeling that Mandisa is gonna get Jennifer Hudson'ed very soon.

Four dead birds:

Chris - Chris was covered in dead birds until I heard that Live did the song. I'm not upset that he covered another cover, but that the introduction was edited in such a way that the audience was manipulated into thinking it was HIS artistry that changed the melody of the song, which was a lie. It may not have been Chris' lie, because I believe that the band had to have known Live's version in order to learn it, so it was likely the producers who edited it in such a way that Chris *appeared* to arrange it to make him seem like this friggin GENIUS, a move that may have backfired considering it took all of 30 seconds for an onliner to realize it was Live's arrangement. PROBABLY not Chris' fault, so he only loses one dead bird over the ordeal, but it soured me a bit. If I'd known then what I know now, I would think he did really well. I hate that they manipulated me.

Three dead birds:

Elliot - Really good singer, and he looked so much better with the goatee. I still find him boring, but I hope he sticks around and grows into the "entertainer" role some more.

Paris - If you get past the fact that she's only seventeen, she did really well on a very adult song.

Katherine - Something about Queen Katherine bugs me. Maybe I'm spending too much time at VFTW.com, because she comes across kinda snobby to me. She had a couple of really bad notes that were overlooked by the judges.

Kevin - I like razzin' Kevin, so I want him to stick around. Wouldn't it be funny if he won?

One dead bird:

Bucky - His gravelly voice reminds me of someone and I can't think of who it is, but I just feel like if Bucky would do a song by this mystery singer, he'd knock it out of the park. This performance was ridiculous and amateurish, but I still like his voice.

Taylor - Good gawd, man. You're safe, but not THAT safe.

Droppings:

Lisa - I was embarrassed for her. Her confidence has gone way downhill and it's showing. Poor girl. Set her free. Fly away, Lisa!! Fly! Fly! *pounce*

Rolly made this.

03-22-06, 12:13 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
Kellie?

Sig by Arkie!!

Magnolia_Rocker 2139 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

03-22-06, 12:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Magnolia_Rocker Click to send private message to Magnolia_Rocker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
Ace?

Siggy thanks to Syren!

LakerLuv 151 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-06, 12:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LakerLuv Click to send private message to LakerLuv Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
I was very impressed with almost everyone tonight. Very good performances and Barry Manilow is a FANTASTIC coach! Who knew! Okay here are my rankings:

1. Chris - I'm probably one of the few folks not familiar with that song but I'd buy Chris' version if he recorded it. It actually makes me want to go rent "Walk The Line" to hear the original.

2. Mandisa - FANTASTIC!! She was hot and looked fabulous. Her voice is amamzing and she really can perform. I think Barry ment it when he said she could come sing with him!

3. Paris - She never disappoints and to be just 17 years old, she has amazing range and style. She knows how to perform and she knows who she is as a singer.

4. Elliott - Always great and he really, really took Barry Manilow's advice and "carressed" that song. Love his voice!

5. Taylor - Not my favorite vocal performance from him but he's one of the best entertainers on the show. He rocked a simple song and made it work.

6. Katherine - I love her voice and I'm looking forward to her CD whenever she makes one. I love her jazzy, pop, earthy voice. She gave a splendid perofrmace.

7. Kevin - PERFECT SONG CHOICE!! His best performance to date.

8. Kellie - She went back to her roots and delivered a winning performance.

9. Ace - He is too boy-bandish for me. I think he can sing but he's just not moving me.

10. Bucky - Simple and safe but not overly impressive.

11. Lisa - She seemed out of it last night and she was overshadowed by all the other great voices on the show. She may be voted off.

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

03-22-06, 12:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
Chris--cover or not, the best by a mile

Mandisa--I like her more and more. She has the sweetest smile.

Elliot--he knows how to sing a song.

Katherine--amazing vocal control. Simply amazing.

Paris--I love the way she can belt out a song. She's a natural.

Ace--his affectations are getting to me, but he CAN sing. He proved it last night.

Kellie--not the most talented singer but makes the most of what she's got.

Taylor--love ya dude but you just didn't bring it last night.

Kevin--kid, you just don't have the chops.

Lisa--I was so disappointed. Girl you CAN sing. Please start picking better songs.

Bucky--Sorry, I've never been a fan. It's time to go.

Moves courtesy of Syren

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-06, 12:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
1. Katherine
2. Elliot
3. Kellie
4. Mandisa
5. Taylor
6. Kevin
7. Chris- sorry nope. I disagree with pretty much everyone but Dweeze. Didn't like it. Hated the ending.
8. Ace
9. Paris
10. Bucky
11. Lisa

Lisa go home. She didn't dress right for the night and she wasn't insync at all with the band or the song. Horrible.

Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-06, 01:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
Of course my notes are at home, so I'm going on memory here.

1. Mandesa: Strong, powerful, absolutely brilliant.

2. Chris: I want this song on my iPod right freaking now!There were a couple of places where I heard a quicker or a little shake in his voice, but I loved it.

3. Katherine: She has a very smooth, silky voice. Great song choice for her.

4. Ace: I not always of fan of artists changing songs, but this version was good. Big improvement over last week.

5. Paris: When I look at her, I don't see or hear a 17-year old, and I think she gets away with singing a song that's really for an older age group.

6. Taylor: I still love his voice, but I'm a little undecided on his "entertainment" factor. Although he certainly doesn't bore me.

7. Elliott: I love his voice, but he bored me. And last night just sounded to "Broadway" to me.

8. Kellie: I am putting Kellie ahead of Kevin because I simply like her voice better. She was sultry and sexy, but I have to take away some "props" because I felt as though she missed what Barry was telling her. She was too happy and too upbeat. There was no longing or sadness there.

9. Kevin: While, again, I didn't mind hearing him. I just cannot stand to watch him sing at all. I can't. I have to listen from another room or listen while reading or looking at something else.

10. Lisa: While she did fine at the end, the look and the sound was way too juvenile for this song.

11. Bucky: Really made no impression on me at all. I just thought out of everyone, he was the worse.

It's Arkie Love

Iconoclastic 151 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-06, 01:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Iconoclastic Click to send private message to Iconoclastic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
1) Chris - I don't care if he did Live's arrangement, he kicked a$$
2) Mandissa - The best of the women week after week
3) Katherine - Really good she's starting to distinguish herself well
4) Elliot - Did really well last night and I really like him. He just lacks the IT thing.
5) Ace - Did better last night and will benefit from singing last.
6) Kellie - She needs the hick-schtick to compensate for mediocre singing. Last night is a great example.
7) Paris - Its like she is Fantasia's irritating little sister. Not as good but pretending she is.
8) Taylor - Hate to rank him this low but last night was totally un-wow.
9) Kevin - Making a career of exceeding low expectations
10) Bucky - Overshadowed by several much better guys
11) Lisa - You are the weakest link.....goodbye

ElroyJetson 586 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-22-06, 01:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ElroyJetson Click to send private message to ElroyJetson Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
1. Katharine - I am applying for a job as double-sided tape
2. Paris - Better singing and more humility this week
3. Elliot - Excellent job on a tough song.
4. Ace - Great job this week. Chill it w/the Constantine stare. You see where it got him.
5. Chris - Liked the modernization
6. Mandisa - Great pipes!
7. Kellie - Better job this week. Looked great. Chill it with the dumb blonde routine
8. Kevin - Nice, if not theatrical, performance
9. Lisa - Cute but forgettable.
10. Taylor - Dancin' ain't gonna get ya to the big dance
11. Bucky - Ouch.

-- Elroy Jetson

FOXmePUHLEEZ 172 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-06, 01:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FOXmePUHLEEZ Click to send private message to FOXmePUHLEEZ Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
Last night was OFF THE CHARTS. Manilow is much better than GOOD at what he does. He brought better than the best out in them and if I were a judge, I would have been gushing more than Paula or Randy. I wish I had taped last night.

Fishercat 4168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

03-22-06, 02:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fishercat Click to send private message to Fishercat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
Without going into detail, you can see most of my opinions on the live thread

1. Mandisa
2. Katharine
3. Elliot
4. Chris
5. Ace
6. Paris
7. Taylor
8. Kellie
9. Kevin
10. Lisa
11. Bucky

Bob Factoid: The fishercat is the only creature known to have gone completely insane chasing its own tail.

03-22-06, 04:17 PM (EST)
37. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
Taylor Hicks – Oh my Taylor. Not a great song choice. Good performance of bad song choice. Still, he is and will always be at the top of my list. He’s simply the best performer on the show. I just hope he doesn’t have a surprise trip to the bottom 3 for this.

Mandisa -- Loved it. She really did an awesome job.. Also, a primo example of using a grind as a little seasoning…not overdoing it.

Elliott Yamin – Beautiful job. Really the best singer, but Barry’s right about the “storytelling.” I’m sure that’s why a lot of people are on the fence with Elliott. He’s not really connecting – not in a phony-baloney way like Paris & Lisa, but just worried too much about the singing and not enough about the emotion. He did seem to take Barry’s direction to heart, and he improved, but that’s not the kind of thing one learns in one night.

Katharine McPhee – Katharine did very well. I still haven’t warmed up to her, but I can’t deny her talent.

Chris Daughtry – Yes, Chris is very good. HOWEVER…he needs to stop digging for covers by contemporary bands. AND…if he’s going to do one of those covers, he CANNOT make it sound like the arrangement was his idea. That being said, I HATE this arrangement. Live didn’t ‘rearrange’ this song, they rewrote it. The melody is nearly unrecognizable – and after Randy talked about how special the melodies of the 50’s are.

Kevin Covais – Kevin was really good this week. Great song choice, well sung, well performed. He’s still out of his league, but better than several people this week.

Paris Bennett – This song was TOO mature for her. It looked like she was play-acting. Phony, phony, phony. She had difficulty holding on during the softer, non-gymnastic beginning, and I think she pumped it up too much in the 2nd half. AND, like Barry said, this song is cool, not hot. Instead of driving, she was flailing. I didn’t care for this at all. Plus, her jaw quivers when she belts – that’s a symptom of a technique problem, too much tension in her jaw & throat.

Kellie Pickler – Yeah. I’m over Kellie. Her “accent” is so thick that she sings like she’s gagging on her tonsils…that’s just weird, & I suspect put-on to a degree. OK vocally, but her moves SUCK. May be bottom 3. I can hope, right?

Lisa Tucker -- Every time I see Lisa I feel like I’m watching The New Mickey Mouse Club. She is a very good singer, but a weak performer. Her kindergarten gestures are painful. However, like Kevin, there is nothing wrong with her that time won’t fix.

Ace Young – Yeah. Whatever. Ace just doesn’t sing very well, and he looked uncomfortable to me. And this arrangement didn’t sound all that unique to me. Plus, he can’t “spin” his falsetto – an obvious technique problem, lack of breath control. Bottom 3 again.

Bucky Covington – I really do like Bucky, and it WAS a really good song choice, but the boy just can’t sing as well as many of the others. I will say this – that was not an easy key change and he had no problem with it. Probably bottom 3, may be going home. Much to my disappointment.

bottom 3 -- should be Bucky, Ace, Kellie
will be Bucky, Lisa.....Ace? Kellie? Taylor?(gasp! no!)

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-06, 04:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
39. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
Chris Daughtry – Yes, Chris is very good. HOWEVER…he needs to stop digging for covers by contemporary bands. AND…if he’s going to do one of those covers, he CANNOT make it sound like the arrangement was his idea. That being said, I HATE this arrangement. Live didn’t ‘rearrange’ this song, they rewrote it. The melody is nearly unrecognizable – and after Randy talked about how special the melodies of the 50’s are.

Can I get another AMEN!

*grin*

mistyrose52 795 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

03-22-06, 05:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mistyrose52 Click to send private message to mistyrose52 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
42. "RE: Rankings Thread - Top 11 - 50's Night "
Haven't read the other threads, but totally 100% agree with the first, original poster here.

Bucky is just not growing on us the way he should be by now. As a matter of fact, he seems to be losing some ground. I think he may go home tonight.

As far as Paris-eeewww! She has an ego larger than Texas, and gets on my nerves to no end. By the look on the judges' faces, I don't think she really fairs all that well with them, either. OK, she has talent. That's it. Wait until she's competiting in the real world with the REAL divas!

As far as the rest of the post, I agree, in the order you put it. And I LOVE Taylor, but he would have done so much better doing something like "Cherry Baby" by Frankie Valley, or some other shoop-shoop thing. Not Buddy Holly! When you think about it, most of the 50's songs, the fast ones, WERE just 5 note songs!!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •