LAST EDITED ON 07-12-11 AT 01:58 PM (EST)
Well, the quarterfinals begin tonight, with four acts each week advancing to the Top 24. No idea when the YouTube auditioners will perform. Squonk Opera is one of the acts announced for tonight, yay!
Anyway, while there's still a Top 48 I might as well make a few comments.
1. Too many singers. If this becomes 3rd year in a row for a country boy singer winner, meh.
2. Attack Dance Crew. I'm with Howie on this one. Energetic and likeable, watchable act, but the whole "drilling" thing just seems derivative instead of original.
3. Captain and Maybelle. I really just don't like these sort of acts. Won't win but if they last long enough they may unfortunately be included in the live Vegas travelling variety show headlined by the winner.
4. Dani Shay. Got a rare second chance from the judges and, much as I do like her, I wish they'd made room for another non-singing act. I won't hold that against her, though.
5. Echo of Animal Gardens. Liked the first audition a lot but thought it flopped horribly in Vegas. Wish they'd made room for another human act even if it had turned out to be Leonid the Magnificent.
6. Fatally Unique. They just managed to squeek through but I'm really glad they did.
7. Frank Miles. We only have his word that there's any danger at all, I don't believe it but the judges keep getting suckered.
8. Poplyfe. School of Rock! School of Rock! School of Rock!
9. Professor Splash. I didn't know anyone was still doing this but more power to him. Not much room for innovation.
10. Sam B. Well, whatever, America will decide. Should be considered a comedy act instead of a dance act.
11. Silhouettes. I'm really looking forward to seeing what they can do next.
12. Steven Retchless. Have to overlook the creepy factor.
13. The Kinetic King. Like it a lot but, um, if it takes all day to set up a one-minute performance how would that work as a headline act?
14. Those Funny Little People. Cute and creepy, very weird. When the novelty wears off it may only be creepy.
15. Leonid the Magnificent. It really is a shame he didn't get to the next round, he is really a talented and versatile performer. But when he flops, boy oh boy he flops big.
Announced acts for first quarterfinal: Anna Graceman, Dezmond Meeks, Duo Aero, Echo, Fearless Flores Family, Fiddleheads, J. Chris Newberg, Miami All Stars, Sandou Russian Bar Trio, Snap Boogie, Squonk Opera, Those Funny Little People.