The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"When will the merge happen?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

TwinkyDik 24 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

11-10-01, 06:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TwinkyDik Click to send private message to TwinkyDik Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"When will the merge happen?"
I think from Jeff'd statement that we can assume that there will not be a merge at 10 players. Will 9 be too predictable? I reckon 7 or 8 is the most likely. What do you folks think?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: When will the merge happen? dangerkitty 11-10-01 1
   RE: When will the merge happen? I_AM_HE 11-10-01 2
       RE: When will the merge happen? skierdude10 11-10-01 3
   RE: When will the merge happen? chuck 11-10-01 4
       RE: When will the merge happen? I_AM_HE 11-10-01 5
   RE: When will the merge happen? Lightmage81 11-11-01 6
       RE: When will the merge happen? I_AM_HE 11-11-01 7
       RE: When will the merge happen? heresy 11-17-01 8
 RE: When will the merge happen? JohnMc 11-19-01 9
   RE: When will the merge happen? TwinkyDik 11-20-01 10
 RE: When will the merge happen? PepeLePew13 11-20-01 11
   RE: When will the merge happen? Bebo 11-20-01 12
       RE: When will the merge happen? Skinman 11-20-01 13

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

dangerkitty 1913 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

11-10-01, 06:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dangerkitty Click to send private message to dangerkitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: When will the merge happen?"
My opinion is that they will go one extra TC as new tribes. They had 12 days as the original tribes, and that would give them 9 days as the re-formed tribes. It also still allows for 7 jury members - only change is that everyone who makes merge will be on the jury.

Reasons:

The idea of only 5 jury members to vote for the million dollar winner just seems weak to me. Just not enough people.

If they wait until only 7 players are left, that means more of a delay until individual IC, and RC for that matter. Viewers want the change of pace from team challenges to individual challenges, I don't feel that MB would drag that out so long.

My premises include: There WILL be a merge, and there MUST be an odd number on the jury.

dangerkitty
Goddess of Words

I_AM_HE 6123 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-10-01, 07:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail I_AM_HE Click to send private message to I_AM_HE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: When will the merge happen?"
I'm in complete agreement with what dk said

skierdude10 114 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

11-10-01, 07:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail skierdude10 Click to send private message to skierdude10 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: When will the merge happen?"
I think that it will happen at nine:

-Enough time for groups to get to know each other

-enough time to make new alliances

-enough time to make enemies

-enough time for viewer to adjust to the twist

Skier

chuck 8 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

11-10-01, 08:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail chuck Click to send private message to chuck Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: When will the merge happen?"
Not to beat a dead horse, but I think the Probster was just jerking them around. Here's why, from the CBS website FAQ's.

Will there always be two teams?
No. Beginning in episode seven, the two teams merge. The remaining Survivors, accustomed to thinking of each other as "the enemy" or members of the "other team" will come to live together and compete as individuals. At that point, the challenges become person against person, as opposed to team against team; only the winning individual will receive a reward and/or immunity.

Also, it would be blatantly unfair for one team to think a merge will be at one point, and the other team to think another. Remember, Probst told the Samburus there will be a merge with 10.

11-10-01, 08:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail I_AM_HE Click to send private message to I_AM_HE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: When will the merge happen?"
the fact that the CBS website says that doesn't bother me at all when i say i think the merge will be delayed an episode

but it is possible Jiffy's just yanking their chain...but whether he is or not, a real delay in the merger, or just the threat of it takes some fire away from any possible arguments that MB pulled the switch solely to kill the GXA. by saying this to Boran, he makes it much more likely they will target Teresa over Clarence, the one who is bent on GXA's destruction, and the other who might jump ship to GXA

Lightmage81 225 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

11-11-01, 11:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Lightmage81 Click to send private message to Lightmage81 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: When will the merge happen?"
I agree with DK on the last part ie there is a merge + odd no on jury...

this is my say...

Ep 7 (orginal merge ep):
nothing new (save for the switch)

Ep 8 (as suggested by DK)
highly probable.

HOWEVER, I think there is a major flaw.
in ep8 there will be 9 members on the show, this implies that the tribes will merge UNEQUAL, no matter the permutation. While old loyalties may be lost and new ones formed, it sure doesn;t look that way to me. The new Samburu tribe still looks like 2 tribes and my guess that it remains that way. Whereas the new Boran tribe (less Silas) has kind of gelled (tho CB is probably next in line, strength + unpopularity) Merging on this ep may spark more lawsuits?

Only certainty if this happends: GenXers are screwed

Ep9
For the same reasons as DK...I doubt this ep is the merge ep

So considering the above, I wager that the merge will take place as normal.....the switch merely to screw the GenXers which had a strong alliance BEFORE the merge (it would have made the game too predictable too early, like the Tagi alliance, hence the twist)

11-11-01, 04:42 PM (EST)
7. "RE: When will the merge happen?"
LAST EDITED ON 11-11-01 AT 04:43 PM (EST)

i actually think merging at an unequal number almost reduces the chance of a sustained Pagonging effect. when you merge equal, you have to stick with your team so you aren't Pagonged. But if you merge unequal, the weak link on the strong team has to consider jumping ship earlier, and new alliances seem more likely

with this tight-knit Boran group, it may not happen, but if the same format is used for Survivor 4, i would expect much less solid alliances come merge time

heresy 94 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

11-17-01, 03:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail heresy Click to send private message to heresy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: When will the merge happen?"
The GenXers are screwed regardless. Tom, Lex, and Kelly will be more than happy to relate the information concerning the work ethic of these screwups. Frank and Theresa have probably been letting their new friends know about the lack of work ethic.

The GenX crew has screwed themselves. They did not want to work, liked to sleep in really late (when they didn't pull full guard duty), and didn't wake up to the reality that you have to work in this type of situation. Keeping up their lazy ways after the switch will be the end of them. They could have realized their opportunity to remake their images, but one of the first questions out of Lindsey's mouth was something to the affect of "So, do you guys goof off all day like we do?"

Even if the merge does occur in the next episode, the original teams are already at 6-4.

Diane mentioned Clarence as an afterthought, as if she just realized she listed the next 6 bootees and was trying to recover from the misstep.

Given the state of the spoiling, Theresa goes next week, making it 6-3 going into the merge.

Brandon and KimP had better get their butts in gear if they intend to stay more than a few episodes after the merge. Even though they are both weak competitors, their unwillingness to do their fair share of the work will make it imperative for the others to boot them off.

JohnMc 2679 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

11-19-01, 05:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JohnMc Click to send private message to JohnMc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: When will the merge happen?"
I have nothing to back this up with; I just think this would be a cool scenario:

Merge at Ep8 w/9 survivors left. Divide into 3 tribes. The tribe winning immunity is immune from receiving votes, but they still have to vote off members of the other tribe. This promotes the team spirit within the smaller tribes, and allows for numerous permutations of the Boran/Sambuhu alliances. This also keeps anyone from pulling a Kelly/Colby.

Teresa may go next, but my vote is for Clarence. If they are still worried about when the merger will occur, they should get rid of the one who eats the most to save food and water.

TwinkyDik 24 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

11-20-01, 02:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TwinkyDik Click to send private message to TwinkyDik Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: When will the merge happen?"
I like this idea but I think the three tribe merge won't eventuate. I believe that it is just an internet rumour that got out of hand.

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

11-20-01, 08:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: When will the merge happen?"
I think OFG has made a very valid point of why and when the merge happens (see her post in LoudmouthLee's Character Development thread).

This week... it's Thanksgiving so that means there will likely be lower ratings with all the competition on TV and family time -- so if the merge happens here, it will have less impact and be less noticed.

Better to have the merge in the next episode when there will be more regular viewers and CBS will have a chance to promote the hell out of it with the recap show and commercials to drag in some new viewers.

As OFG said, a merge at 5-4 makes for better TV since the only suspense at 5-5 is knowing who had the prior votes and determining who is the 'superior' tribe.

This time around, the twist has mixed up the tribes and potentially mixed up some alliances -- we're going to have a majority for the Borans anyway by the time the jury starts to fill, so that's a moot point about going in unbalanced at 5-4 in the first place.

It all fits with the holiday coming up to have the merge at the beginning of episode 8 with 9 people remaining.

"Damn you, Carl, for leaving me here with a bunch of misfits."
Frank Garrison, Nov. 1/01

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

11-20-01, 08:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: When will the merge happen?"
>It all fits with the holiday
>coming up to have the
>merge at the beginning of
>episode 8 with 9 people
>remaining.

It also fits with the recap episode the following week, because it splits the season up nicely -- pre-merge, recap, post-merge.

Skinman 5 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

11-20-01, 12:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Skinman Click to send private message to Skinman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: When will the merge happen?"
One thing no one has brought up yet: Jeff from S2 has maintained that making the merge was great, but, not being able to be on the jury sucked. Maybe MB decided that by making the merge, you got the reward of being on the jury, and making the merge on EP8. Thus, one contestant didn't get the "Varner Screw Job". The downside is it gives the first jury person voted out, three less days to get to know some of the players. Jeff has always seemed such a Survivor supporter and maybe he bent MB's ear a little. Just a thought.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •