The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"I am new to posting here and don't know how well this is going to go over but....."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

sandsotime 6 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

11-09-01, 07:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sandsotime Click to send private message to sandsotime Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"I am new to posting here and don't know how well this is going to go over but....."
Don't you think it is likely that Mark Burnett consulted with his HUGE team of highly paid CBS lawyers before considering this scenario? Isn't it also possible that these 16 Survivors probably signed a book before going on this show that entitled Mark Burnett to change scenarios at any time or they didn't have to come on this show?? My feeling is without shaking things up here this show would get more boring at each new episode. I have no idea what "game show" rules are based on. I would guess that if MB was influencing people in how to vote to make good TV then that would be a whole different story. But obviously he is entitled to do whatever he wants to change things at any time. I want to see alliances get shaken up and people to not get so comfy in their groups and then see how they play. It will never just be about challenges, there will always be strategy. That's what happened to the last Survivor, it became the Colby show and a predictable vote each week. S3 was going in the same direction before this happened. I hear a lot of speculation but would love to know what the REAL rules say and hope everyone here would acknowledge that MB probably knows what he is doing legally. It might be annoying to some but to me I find it entertaining and isn't this what it is supposed to be about? Now don't anyone hurt me, just wanted to voice an opinion- Melissa

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Welcome! TaurusII 11-09-01 1
   Slight disagreement AyaK 11-09-01 4
       RE: Slight disagreement dabo 11-10-01 8
 RE: I am new to posting here and do... King William 11-09-01 2
   RE: I am new to posting here and do... turtle 11-09-01 5
   RE: I am new to posting here and do... zzz 11-09-01 6
       Boran breaks... King William 11-10-01 7
 Agree AyaK 11-09-01 3

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

TaurusII 53 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

11-09-01, 07:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TaurusII Click to send private message to TaurusII Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Welcome!"
Sandsotime/Melissa,

Welcome to the board! Don't apologize for your opinions, just wade in and start swinging like the rest of us.

As far as MB's legal team,
(1) Yes, I'm sure MB consulted his team o' lawyers,

(2) Anybody can be sued for anything,

(3) Once it gets in front of the jury, anything can happen.

The rules, which the contestants doubtless agreed to beforehand, probably allow MB to change things around whenever he wants to, as long as it doesn't direct the result.

The change should reduce the predictability of the results -- probably too much. Predictability was likely to produce lukewarm ratings, but complete and utter unpredictability (caused by rule changes on a whim and purposely misleading editing) will cause complete disinterest ("What! He hates her now? But last episode they were practically sleeping together. I can't figure this out; I'm just gonna watch Friends")

JMHRO

)O_II

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-09-01, 08:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "Slight disagreement"
>(2) Anybody can be sued for anything,

Quite true, BUT the main trick in preventing a lawsuit is to make sure that no one's lawsuit can survive a motion for summary judgment. MB's lawyers would have focused on making sure that, if someone DID sue, it would never get "in front of a jury." So, your next statement, while true, is misleading.

>(3) Once it gets in front of the jury, anything can
>happen.

One way to keep things away from a jury is to add in a binding arbitration clause, requiring any dispute about the rules to be submitted to a neutral arbitrator. I don't know whether MB has such a clause, but I'll bet that one was added after S1.

>Predictability was likely to produce lukewarm ratings,
>but complete and utter unpredictability (caused by rule
>changes on a whim and purposely misleading
>editing) will cause complete disinterest
>("What! He hates her now? But last episode they were
>practically sleeping together. I can't figure this out; I'm
>just gonna watch Friends")

I completely agree. Today, on another board to which I belong, someone who had been a devoted spoiler of Survivor from the first season announced that she was giving up after last night. I know at least another handful of super-dedicated spoilers who have reached the same point. So ... how are Ross and Rachel handling the pregnancy?

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

11-10-01, 10:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Slight disagreement"
>I completely agree. Today, on
>another board to which I
>belong, someone who had been
>a devoted spoiler of Survivor
>from the first season announced
>that she was giving up
>after last night. I
>know at least another handful
>of super-dedicated spoilers who have
>reached the same point.

I just wanted to say that I think this is a shame, spoiling is just another game to play, another dimension to bring to it, but if the enjoyment of spoiling overrides enjoyment of the show then something is wrong. While I think the game of "Survivor" took a big hit in credulity this week, as entertaining television I thought it was incredible. So what if MB didn't do what I expected him to or that the person who got the boot was one I considered voting for but then changed my mind, it's all about having fun and being entertained. Just had to toss in my tuppence.

"If all machines were to be annihilated at one moment, so that not a knife nor lever nor rag of clothing nor anything whatsoever were left to man but his bare body alone that he was born with, and if all knowledge of mechanical laws were taken from him so that he could make no more machines, and all machine-made food destroyed so that the race of man should be left as it were naked upon a desert island, we should become extinct in six weeks. A few miserable individuals might linger, but even these in a year or two would become worse than monkeys." (Samuel Butler, "Erewhon")

King William 38 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

11-09-01, 07:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail King%20William Click to send private message to King%20William Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: I am new to posting here and don't know how well this is going to go over but....."
I for one am sure MB covered his butt after the entire first season lawsuit. But lets look at what the changes actually did...

Before swap, most likely scenarios at a 10 person merge were
Boran 6, GXA 4 --> rapid fire GXA death
or
Boran 5, GXA 4, OFA 1 --> rapid fire GXA death

The jury is 1 OFA, 3 GXA (probably silas or lindsay gone)
3 Boran, Most likely winners ETL.

Post swap, most likely scenario at 10 person stage

Boran 6, GXA 2, OFA 2 --> see above except maybe Clarence is a target too.

Jury is 2 OFA, 2 GXA, and 3 Boran
or 4 Boran and 3 former Sams.
Most likely winners ETL.

I'd say despite meddling MB, the dominance has not changed and may be even more complete now, only thing that could change that is a rift in the Boran 5 (not CB). So he may have shifted some jury positions a little.

King William

turtle 23 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

11-09-01, 08:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail turtle Click to send private message to turtle Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: I am new to posting here and don't know how well this is going to go over but....."
You make some really good points...

As for the shakeup in the Boran 5 (Clarence excluded) I don't think a shake up is out of the question at all...all of the editing so far has seemed to present Boran as a highly unified tribe...but that was hardly the case.

They had a split too: Ethan, Lex, Tom vs. the others
It just wasn't as obvious!!!

Kelly was shown plotting with Clarence, aiming for Lex, because she obviously hadn't been let into any alliance. Kim, who was also out in the cold, may be hoping to hook up with Frank and Teresa, hoping to bring one other person to that group...if Clarence goes, then both Kelly and Kim are screwed...unless they make alliances with former Samburu members...

zzz 703 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

11-09-01, 11:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zzz Click to send private message to zzz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: I am new to posting here and don't know how well this is going to go over but....."
King--

Thank you, thank you, thank you. You articulated something that has been going through my head since watching E5, but I could not quite get focused on. MB obviously affected who gets booted in the short term--Silas was perfectly and completely safe until the merge under "normal" Survivor rules. So, MB did change how much money certain people got and how much exposure.

But the big question of overall strength of alliance and positions--I agree that LET seem to be very strong both before and after the MB's fast and loose move with the rules.

Furthermore, his change in some ways made certain aspects more obvious. Once we heard Ethan say he liked Frank, we all knew that Silas was gone. If Samburu goes to TC, we will all pretty much know Lindsey is gone. Not too much unpredictability there. I think it was a silly move on his part as a desparate attempt to spice up a show that seemed to be getting stale.

One final note on Boran alliances. I have said this elsewhere and won't repeat all my thoughts. But, MB is hiding some alliances, especially with KimJ. Don't assume the talk between Kelly and Clarence on Survivor Insider was on the up and up--Kelly could have been tricking Clarence to get his thoughts. Don't assume KimJ is out in the cold. There is some evidence that she and Ethan actually have an alliance MB is hiding from us to try to keep us from figuring out what will happen too easily. Some people think Clarence has a secret alliance. There is something there that we don't know about--I'm just not sure what.

King William 38 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

11-10-01, 03:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail King%20William Click to send private message to King%20William Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Boran breaks..."
zzz,

First of all please call me Will... I have a swelled enough head already...

Lets say the spoilers are right and I'm not convinced they are but for arguments sake Teresa and Lindsay go live with Carl and Diane.

The rest are Frank, MamaKim, Ethan, CB, Kelly, Brandon, Lil Bit, Tom and Lex

What do we know? Not much-
I think I assume that LET is solid. Physically threatening is CB, Ethan, Lex, and Frank.

Would Mamakim and/or Kelly be able to engineer a boot of one of the LETs? Maybe you're right and Ethan is playing both sides and hoping he can get the last immunity. I don't know though

Mamakim and Kelly's options were really poor in Boran I think. but can they get Frank, and the remains of GXA under one roof? Lets see, if MamaKim and Kelly say they're loyal and know LETs voting plan, but secretly get Frank and at least one other (CB?) to vote for an LET member, then no alliance has more than 2 and my head's beginning to spin...

Bottom line they _could_ pick off the physical threats -whoever doesn't have votes first. Can they keep their pick up members loyal or will things shift even further, maybe several times?

MamaKim: "Ethan, Tom, now that we're on equal footing want to ally with Kelly and me?"
Tom: "No, I just convinced Frank and Clarence to join us, see ya at TC."
Mama: "Kelly, go get the queer, yes I know he's pissed at me getting rid of Silas and Lex, but we need to make some new friends."

Even Frank or Brandon could win under this scenario. I think a few misfits and whining girls are worth a million.

Well I hope it happens, it'd be fun to watch, but I doubt it.
May Boran shred itself to pieces for my amusement.

King William

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings

11-09-01, 07:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Agree"
No question about it, sandsotime -- this was a pre-planned event, and MB would have made sure that his standard game contract with the players would have given him the right to realign teams at any point. He may well also have language that permits him to change the rules on the fly in other ways.

The CBS contracts for this show have never been released publicly. In the Stacey Stillman lawsuit, they were filed with the court, but CBS sought and received an order to keep them sealed from the public.

I have no doubt that, as long as the swap was pre-planned, MB didn't violate any of the contracts or any of the rights of the players by doing the swap ... and I haven't seen the contracts either.

Thanks for posting; we hope you stick around with us.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •