The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"You Know..."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

nicola 30 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

03-08-06, 07:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nicola Click to send private message to nicola Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"You Know..."
I was watching the girls perform last night and one thing that was true for all the contestants was their constant use of the phrase "you know" i think one girl said it 9 times in a single sentence. Did anybody else pick up on this? Its probably because they're all so nervous, but because of this frequent repition i found that when they were talking I lost track of what they were saying in the first place. Also it seemed to undermine their performances, you don't sing a beautiful song and then go all valley girl! I thought it was extremely annoying, almost to the point where i wanted to fly out there and say "yes i do know!!"
Apart from that the show were great.

- nicky

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: You Know... Rhyn 03-08-06 1
 RE: You Know... SOfan0221 03-08-06 2
 RE: You Know... nailbone 03-08-06 3
 RE: You Know... Magnolia_Rocker 03-08-06 4

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Rhyn 524 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-08-06, 07:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Rhyn Click to send private message to Rhyn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: You Know..."
I think that's just youth. I did that a whole ton when I was younger, and while I am not "young" anymore, I still find myself doing it when I am really nervous or excited.

I bet these girls are more eloquent outside a situation like this (well, perhaps not Kellie, but that's all part of her charm, I guess) but with as much as they are working and rehearsing and in front of the cameras, I think I can forgive them their "placeholders."

My high school Shakespeare teacher read us an article from the paper at the beginning of class about "um" "ya know" and "like" placeholders, and people who use them are actively seracing their brains for the right words and right combinations of symbols to convey their message. I don't recall if they are "more thinking" than some other group, but they do actively think while in conversation, and that's a good thing.

Some people, I know, really, really hate this "verbal nonsense" though, and I understand. In conversation, I don't notice it unless it's really horribly bad, but in a speech? Oh, that's rough.

SOfan0221 828 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

03-08-06, 07:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SOfan0221 Click to send private message to SOfan0221 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: You Know..."
Personally I would prefer to hear 'you know' repeated over and over instead of 'like'. Like you know when someone is at a loss for words and like just keeps like using like for like a filler word? lol

And Kelly Pickler and her wonder and awe at this big old American Idol process tickles me. She thinks Simon called her a 'mink' and she had 'Sallman' for dinner the other night.

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-08-06, 10:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: You Know..."
Like, you know, you're not, like, around, like, you know, teenagers much, are you?

'Cuz they ALL talk that way.

Sig by Arkie!!

Holey carp! My blog! MySpace!
Official OT Tassel Adjuster o-

Magnolia_Rocker 2139 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

03-08-06, 10:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Magnolia_Rocker Click to send private message to Magnolia_Rocker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: You Know..."
LAST EDITED ON 03-08-06 AT 10:58 AM (EST)

LOL! I looked at my DH last night and said "If one more person says you know one more time I'm throwing something at the TV."

Edited to add....less than a minute later, a couch pillow goes sailing across the room.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •