The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"No major water issue for Samburus?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

big idiot 193 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

11-04-01, 01:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail big%20idiot Click to send private message to big%20idiot Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"No major water issue for Samburus?"
LAST EDITED ON 11-04-01 AT 02:38 AM (EST)

Let this thread sink if this has already been posted or if I am overlooking something (pre-apologies if so).

We have been shown that the gourds have broken and it seems that the Sambs can't boil water now.

Except, at the beginning of the game they were given canned food. Why not boil water in the empty cans? Not enough cans? Doubt it, they also won the food reward in episode 2 and episode 4, they have lots of cans and perhaps jars. (And perhaps Clarence flung a few empty cans towards them from his camp...hehe)

Granted, they would need to keep plenty busy to maintain a supply of drinkable water via the can-method, but heck, it would taste better than the gourd-method (I guess).

Water transport would be more meddlesome in cans than the boiling woes, but with either creativity (what else is around camp for water transport?) or everyone making water trips to carry cans (ok, they are doomed to die of dehydration) they can overcome the "gourd crisis".

Not much spoiling potential, except that I would not integrate "water issues" into any twist details.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 You are missing the point... IceCat 11-04-01 1
   RE: You are missing the point... big idiot 11-04-01 2
       RE: You are missing the point... FFantasyFX 11-05-01 3
           RE: You are missing the point... Thrill Seeker 11-05-01 4
   RE: You are missing the point... sleeeve 11-05-01 6
   RE: You are missing the point... sonrod 11-05-01 8
 May I nitpick? George Tirebiter 11-05-01 5
 RE: No major water issue for Sambur... big idiot 11-05-01 7

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-04-01, 05:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "You are missing the point..."
Water is NOT the real issue... MB's perception of the potential effect of the GenEx/OFA split causing a predictable set of voting conditions IS the issue.

MB will use the water issue as an EXCUSE for introducing the twist. He has set up a story arc where the Samburu are in serious trouble over the water problem and that it is the GenExers fault. The end of this story arc will be the twist which will include the availability of water as an issue.

September 11, 2001

11-04-01, 07:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail big%20idiot Click to send private message to big%20idiot Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: You are missing the point..."
Icecat, I see our points as convergent.

My point is a reinterpretation of what we have seen, your point is a deduction of what we will see.

We both agree that Samb's water is not the crisis IT IS being portrayed as (me), nor the crisis it WILL BE portrayed as (you).

We'll call it the "Big Cat water conspiracy theory"

Now come here and give me a big Mother Afreaka hug.

FFantasyFX 1028 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

11-05-01, 03:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FFantasyFX Click to send private message to FFantasyFX Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: You are missing the point..."
I've been having some problems with this whole water problem theory. When, I first saw the show, I thought that the problem was that they couldn't boil massive amounts of water, not that they can't boil water period.

The fact of the matter is that they broke the gourds halfway through Day 10. This means that if they really can't boil water period, they haven't had water for 2 and a half days at the end of Ep. 4. Supposedly, you can live only three days without water (generalization, but I read it in a Hardy Boys survival book back in my youth and it kinda stuck ) They oughta be half-dead then by the time TC takes place, but they are obviously not. I really can't see anybody being scammed by the proposition, "Oh my God, they are going to dehydrate to death!," and use that as a good excuse for an early merge. Or am I giving the American viewing public too much credit?

Thrill Seeker 220 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

11-05-01, 05:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Thrill%20Seeker Click to send private message to Thrill%20Seeker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: You are missing the point..."
You could say that there are ways around the water issue, but they aren't easy ones. You could say that in S2 there could have been solutions to their lost food, but they weren't easy ones.

Something tells me that Burnett is probably angry at the Samburu for losing their ability to boil water and so he is once again trying to use a bad situation as an opportunity to change the game around to his liking.
In S2, he got Colby's flag. Now he's going to use another mistake of the tribe's to break up the GXA/OFA.
I don't think you should blame MB for changing things around. Blame the Samburu who POSSIBLY forced him to step in and take some action.

sleeeve 3456 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

11-05-01, 07:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sleeeve Click to send private message to sleeeve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: You are missing the point..."
>MB will use the water issue
>as an EXCUSE for introducing
>the twist. He has
>set up a story arc
>where the Samburu are in
>serious trouble over the water
>problem and that it is
>the GenExers fault.

I disagree...

In the past two series, there has been a serious "survival issue" that has permeated the show.

In S1, it was shelter... first BB built it too close to the beach, so it had to be rebuilt. Then, shelter had an integral part in the merge.

In S2, it was food. Fishing, rice shortages, trading shelter for rice, and finally he flood taking away all of their food. Despite the fact that we've heard that obtaining clean water on S2 was a difficult task (although less difficult than S3), it was not focussed on, because food was the issue of choice.

In S3, it appears that water is the issue. Already, water has divided the Samburu, strengthened Boran, and directly caused the boot of Jessie and of Diane... it has caused a near-miss with a buffalo, and will likely continute to be an issue.

We have reports that Clarence and Lindsey both ended up in the hospital (albeit after they were booted) and also that Lex returned home with extreme dysentary which lasted several months after his return. I suspect that we will continue to see these and other water-issues play throughout the rest of the show...

In other words, water is not being set up as an issue relevant to the twist... it is being set up as the issue of the game. While it may have some effect on the twist, it will not be the central reason for the twist to take place.

You never know what might be up my sleeeve...

sonrod 25 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

11-05-01, 10:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sonrod Click to send private message to sonrod Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: You are missing the point..."
Exactly what I was thinking. The water issue forced MB's hand. He could see how badly the GEN-X alliance was playing the game and he saw how the voting after the merge would playout. MB was concerned about the story lines, and molding the story arcs into compelling TV watching. For the players, its all about the money. For the producers, its all about the viewers and ratings. He might even have some focus groups where he puts up likely scenarios to gauge their interest.

I don't think the Boran tribe have a choice in the merger or trade of some of their members for food. I would think they would like the Samburu to continue to have water problems and be weak for the immunity challenges. Either way the tribe roster will change, whether anyone likes it or not. The best part is speculating where Lindsey and Frank wind up. Can you imagine Tom, Lindsey, and Brandon on the same tribe?

George Tirebiter 2982 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

11-05-01, 05:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail George%20Tirebiter Click to send private message to George%20Tirebiter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "May I nitpick?"
LAST EDITED ON 11-05-01 AT 11:05 PM (EST)

Those couldn't be gourds (which are dried vegetable matter and would burn)--they have to be clay pots. Apparently, the quality of the clay or the firing is not sufficient to withstand the way they were heating them directly on the fire; they also said something in the first episode about how they were so fragile and cracked easily.

And you're right--using the cans would be preferable, except for GETTING the water.

GT

Edited to give a thank-you and a shout out to big idiot--that's MS. Tirebiter, thank you! *adjusts lipstick*

11-05-01, 09:42 PM (EST)
7. "RE: No major water issue for Samburus?"
I agree with FFFX, they are NOT clinically dehydrated. I believe it is 7 days rather than 3 days for the length of time a human can go without water, but that may be the lie down and die slowly method. These people have to do challenges and camp chores, 3 days may be more accurate for their situation if they really had NO water.

I don't think MB is upset about this. He LOVES to show that they are actually close to "surviving" and not just "sorta uncomfortable". The show has gotten ribbed for that and so we see the conditions of the survivors getting closer to true Survival with each new season. But they are not in real water danger, MB just focuses on that to dissuade the naysayers from moaning, "it is not that rough out there".

Accolades to tirebiter for the gourd nitpick, he is right of course.

And so spoiling (or speculative) analysis:
Hence, water is an issue, but not a crisis therefore I believe that water will NOT be central to the twist because MB would look like a moron when the booted players do their interviews and are asked,
"So your water situation was so dangerous that they had to alter the game to help your tribe?"
and they say,
"Nah, it was a pain in the butt, but we got around it, I think they used the water as an excuse to stir the game up a bit."

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •