The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Texas Ranch House 1847"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

Pretty_Kitty 536 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-01-06, 01:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Pretty_Kitty Click to send private message to Pretty_Kitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Texas Ranch House 1847"
LAST EDITED ON 05-01-06 AT 01:47 PM (EST)

thats 1867..my bad
Hi folks for any of you that watched and loved Colonial House, 1900 House, Frontier House and Manor House on PBS Texas Ranch House starts tonight It runs May 1-4th.

for those that dont know what this is where People from today "go back" in time and try to live the they way things were as authentically as possible. As a history geek I live for this stuff..anyway wnted to spread the word I hope SOMEONE watches or I'll be having discussions with myself I guess..

Pretty "nerdy" Kitty

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Texas Ranch House 1847 weltek 05-01-06 1
 RE: Texas Ranch House 1847 tribephyl 05-01-06 2
   RE: Texas Ranch House 1847 tac_2 05-02-06 3
 RE: Texas Ranch House 1847 ginger 05-02-06 4
 RE: Texas Ranch House 1847 Pretty_Kitty 05-02-06 5
 Monday's episode tribephyl 05-02-06 6
   Tuesday's episode Cygnus X1 05-03-06 7
       RE: Tuesday's episode tac_2 05-03-06 8
 Final episode Cygnus X1 05-05-06 9
   RE: Final episode tac_2 05-06-06 10
 RE: Texas Ranch House 1847 eire_heart74 05-24-06 11
   RE: Texas Ranch House 1847 Cyndimaus 05-24-06 12
       RE: Texas Ranch House 1847 eire_heart74 05-25-06 13
           RE: Texas Ranch House 1847 Labyrinth 06-13-06 15
 RE: Texas Ranch House 1847 Puffy 06-06-06 14
   RE: Texas Ranch House 1847 soldiersmom 06-14-06 16
   RE: Texas Ranch House 1847 Labyrinth 06-18-06 17

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-01-06, 02:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Texas Ranch House 1847"
Hi Pretty Kitty!

Thanks for the heads up. I really like this type of show.

tribephyl 12393 desperate attention whore postings

05-01-06, 05:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Texas Ranch House 1847"
Setting my DVR now. Thanks kitty.

If that means I'm nerdy too, than so be it!

tac_2 351 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

05-02-06, 11:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tac_2 Click to send private message to tac_2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Texas Ranch House 1847"
Happened upon it by accident last night. Looks good!

I was a little confused about their food supplies and the cranky cook's menu but this will be educational for me since I know zip about ranching.
It seems it could get interesting after (and if I heard right) the ranch owner discovers he seriously miscalculated the number of cattle he needed to cover expenses.

The best part, though, no commercials.

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

05-02-06, 03:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Texas Ranch House 1847"
I lvoe these "House" shows.

This one is NOT one I'd sign up for - I'm not up to 2.5 months of the heat and hard work and flies and all.

It is funny how they always "cast" folks into their roles and then the folks kind of become those roles. How "Lonesome Dove", for example, is the nutty, surly cook? And how quickly did the ranch family stop noticing things like their food being soooo much better than the hired hands'. The "ruling class" people always think they're being really fair and wonderful and the "working class" people always feel put upon.

I really like the Indian raid notion (Frontier House did that, too).

Anyway, it's a nice addition to Monday - guilt free reality!

Pretty_Kitty 536 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-02-06, 04:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Pretty_Kitty Click to send private message to Pretty_Kitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Texas Ranch House 1847"
LAST EDITED ON 05-02-06 AT 04:27 PM (EST)

ack!!! Iv been super busy today! but just wanted to post that so far so good felt kinda bad for the Foreman getting fired but I just feel bad because now he cant finish out the experience. looking forward to tonight AI be darned!!

so glad other people get into this too! If I were to ever do "reality tv" I'd want to do something like this.

edited to add that I hit a new DAW level woohoo!!!!

tribephyl 12393 desperate attention whore postings

05-02-06, 06:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "Monday's episode"
Great first episode.

I think NachoLoco should have been the one to be fired, instead of the Colonel.
The cook seemed to be the instigator of the altercation and he continues to be impudent towards all who question his passive-aggressive and incendiary behavior.
He's far to negative and blameful; "If I had a helper, If I had a garden, If I had..."
The point about signing up for a show that tries to replicate 1867 means that you often don't have a helper, or a garden, or a pot to pizz in, they had nothing and tried to do their best.
If I had ever come across a cook who took out half of my crew because he "didn't have time to clean" would be fired. Specially if he snubbed my wife and myself in the process of trying to fix the problem. Taking responsibilty for your actions was one of Mr. Cooke's few but meaningful ranchrules.

I imagine that eventually a ranch-hand is going to fall for one of the Cooke's daughters (or more likely, the "girl of all work") or visaversa. It's gonna be interesting to see how Mr.Cooke handles this little inevitability.

I'm hoping the indian-native presence will flourish into a more amicable situation rather than the nightly horse raids it's starting out as.

And it's certainly going to be nail-bitingly tense to see if Mr. Cooke ever discovers his fiscal-snafu before it's too late.
At 12 heads of cattle for their first 14 days or so, they have a lot of catching up to do to get to the 200 head needed vs. the 80 head that Mr.Cooke is thinking they need.

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings

05-03-06, 09:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Cygnus%20X1 Click to send private message to Cygnus%20X1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Tuesday's episode"
Well, you didn't have to wait too long. Nacho got the chop last night, and apparently if there was a Frontier Health Department, they'd have condemned the place.

I've only been able to get bits and pieces of this series, but it looks good. One downside: these folks have been breaking the fourth wall all over the place, with the owner telling his "wife" (right?) to turn her mic off so they can talk. Not sure why the producers left that in. Also, wasn't it wrong for the GOAW to reference the 21st century in lobbying to join the cattle roundup?

But this could have been good summary material.

Better than I deserve. So's this sig by tribephyl.

05-03-06, 05:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tac_2 Click to send private message to tac_2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Tuesday's episode"
LAST EDITED ON 05-03-06 AT 05:12 PM (EST)

Well, don't know about anyone else but I was disappointed with last night's ep. Too much time given to the cook's drama and whatever power play is going on with the ranch owner and his wife vs. the ranch hands.

The 'turn off the mic' bit was strange. It sort of whipped me out of the mood pretty quick.

Hopefully, it picks up tonight.

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings

05-05-06, 07:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Cygnus%20X1 Click to send private message to Cygnus%20X1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "Final episode"
So whose side were you on in the ranch hand walkout just before the end of the show? Seemed like it had been building up to an inevitable confrontation. And in the end, Cook's threats were empty. The ranch hands won that one minus the points.

Mrs. Cook . . . ew. This. Wasn't. Your. Ranch.

I thought the final assesment was quite accurate; there's no way the ranch would have made it another season.

*brushes flies away*

05-06-06, 00:16 AM (EST)
10. "RE: Final episode"
Wrong 'adventurers'. The Cooke family spoiled it, Mrs. Cooke being the biggest instigator of all the conflict.

I did enjoy watching the cattle drive but then, the Cooke's weren't around.
The Comanche's and Buffalo soldiers--interesting. Wish they'd devoted more time there.

Jared had no choice but to leave, imo. And I felt spineless Mr. Cooke would have indeed shot him right off that horse if he'd had a gun (with his wife probably shouting orders to plug him again LOL).
I mean, seriously, it was mostly about those two, how embarrassing for PBS. I read the producer said it was a nightmare from start to finish thanks to all the bickering amongst the cast members.

But at least the moderator told us when they screwed up. My favorite,
"...and Mrs. Cooke greets her husband in her underwear."
(when she was outside frolicking around doing god knows what as he rode in)

The fly invasion and rotting vegetable garden - no excuse, but the failure of the ranch was of no surprise mainly due to the entire group of hands riding off.

Basically, they could have done this show in one night and I was left thinking how many PBS donors felt their membership donations were wasted on this series. I give it a C and that's being generous.

eire_heart74 1231 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

05-24-06, 07:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail eire_heart74 Click to send private message to eire_heart74 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Texas Ranch House 1847"
I just couldn't watch another show of this historical recreation where the women whine about how they are treated. Hello what did you sign up for????? That's how it was then!!! And I say this as a woman!

And there is always one or two that try to change the system. Yeah that's nice and all but leave your 2006 thinking at the door. It didn't happen that way then!!

I understand the heat must be brutal but no way in the world would a ranch wife met her husband and his workers wearing her underwear shift. It just wasn't done. And it bugs me that it's always the women on the show that can't deal with the facts of how it was!

Cyndimaus 3117 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

05-24-06, 01:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cyndimaus Click to send private message to Cyndimaus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Texas Ranch House 1847"
I just couldn't watch another show of this historical recreation where the women whine about how they are treated. Hello what did you sign up for????? That's how it was then!!! And I say this as a woman!

I've been thinking the same thing! (I'm a woman too)Why in the world do the women turn into such whiny, complaining people? There always seems to one on each show. They signed up for it, they knew to a certain extent how women lived then so why complain about it? I've thought that on pretty much all of the "house" shows that PBS has done. Foolish women miss out on the experience by trying to change it to a "now" experience. Be a woman of the era you're recreating and leave behind your notions of a "modern" woman. What an incredible honor to be picked out of all the people who applied and then you go and ruin it. I love seeing the women who embrace the era and the role they're playing and actually get something out of it.

sig courtesy of Cygnus
I missed most of the ranch house. I hate it that they showed it all in one week instead of one night once a week for however many weeks it would go. Anyone know if they're going to replay it at any point?

eire_heart74 1231 desperate attention whore postings

05-25-06, 07:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail eire_heart74 Click to send private message to eire_heart74 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Texas Ranch House 1847"
What an incredible
>honor to be picked out
>of all the people who
>applied and then you go
>and ruin it.

I always think that whoever didn't make the cut must be livid when they watch it on tv later. What gets me is they are always ever so shocked by it. Come on we have all watched the show or read the books on Little House on the Pairie. You can't be a woman and have not at least been familiar with the period!!!

And it's always the most educated women whining and moaning about it. I think this year there was a woman going for her PhD. Conial House had a college professor on it. Same thing, oh let's change the way the men think. Nope that kind of took hundreds of years, not three days on a tv show!

Labyrinth 1248 desperate attention whore postings

06-13-06, 09:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Labyrinth Click to send private message to Labyrinth Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Texas Ranch House 1847"
The women intellectualize what they will be doing before they get there. Most of the women they pick have college educations and are definitely WHITE COLLAR. When they get to doing the hard labor, and the food isn't in nice packaging from the grocery store, they freak out.

If they would pick some poor Hispanic woman who is a first generation immigrant to the US the show would go on w/o a hitch.

JMO and for the record I'm female.

Puffy 6702 desperate attention whore postings

06-06-06, 08:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Puffy Click to send private message to Puffy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Texas Ranch House 1847"
I recorded Texas Ranch House and am now watching the 8 installments. I'm enjoying it very much. The daughters are hard workers; they all are. So far, the daughters are doing the least complaining. I find it interesting that the 21st century is referenced so much. Maura is a hard worker and is treated well by the family, but she just couldn't get out of the 21st century. I don't think that there's anything the family could have done to satisfy the ranch hands.

I've seen it listed as being repeated on PBS at various times, so check your TV schedules or the internet for repeats. Well worth the time, IMO.

İSyren Creations, 2005

soldiersmom 126 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

06-14-06, 11:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail soldiersmom Click to send private message to soldiersmom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Texas Ranch House 1847"
I watched the whole thing when I was home sick - and the family - omg - what whiners. They were totally unrealistic and I was very happy that the final analysis showed as much. Altogether I thought it was a great show. The family just drove me nuts.

Labyrinth 1248 desperate attention whore postings

06-18-06, 11:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Labyrinth Click to send private message to Labyrinth Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Texas Ranch House 1847"
>The daughters are
>hard workers; they all are.
> So far, the daughters
>are doing the least complaining.

Were we watching the same show? I guess you haven't seen the fandango ep where the daughters sat around playing cards while mom has the 103 temp but they have to get ready for a party?

Or where all the food from the party is rotting in dirty dishes while the daughters parade around in their underwear?

Or maybe the part where the historical lady has to come in and weed through the garden that no one has harvested or pruned back? All that food that basically was rotting while the cowboys were told they couldn't have any because it was only for the big house?

Interesting that once again we have the division of the have and the have nots. In Manor House we had the nouveau riche who wanted to be aristocrats and the servants - only the servants had comraderie; in Colonial House we had the Manager and the indentured servants; and now we have the Ranch Owner and the Cowboys. People who gain an unfair amount of power think they can use it to subjugate their "servants."

I guess the cowhands walk out next week in my airing area. Thanks goodness for them!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •