The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Gods Must be Angry"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

NightScribe 761 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

10-24-01, 04:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail NightScribe Click to send private message to NightScribe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The Gods Must be Angry"
LAST EDITED ON 10-24-01 AT 04:38 PM (EST)

The title of this week's episode is entitled "The Gods Are Angry". There has been some speculation about who the Gods might be angry at and why. I'm wondering if anyone knows if there are any Massai myths of what happens when the Gods are Angry. Drought maybe? In some cultures, angering the Gods might result in anything from infertility to death (MB wouldn't go that far to beat Friends would he?). I'm thinking there's a clue in there about some kind of punishment. For some reason my mind keeps going to last season and the flooded camp. Does anyone know or care to speculate about superstitions regarding the Gods in African culture?

edited to correct the title goof up -- it's "The Gods Are Angry" not "The Gods Must be Angry" which I think I confused with a movie titled "The Gods Must be Crazy". Sorry

Fighting illiteracy by day
and writer's block by night

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The Gods Must be Angry dabo 10-24-01 1
 RE: The Gods Are Angry TaurusII 10-24-01 2
 RE: The Gods Must be Angry Outfrontgirl 10-24-01 3
   RE: The Gods Must be Angry allaboutme 10-24-01 4
       I Agree... IceCat 10-24-01 5
 RE: The Gods Must be Angry mavsfan 10-25-01 6
   RE: The Gods Must be Angry scorpio 10-25-01 7
 Sudden Thought... sleeeve 10-25-01 8

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-24-01, 04:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The Gods Must be Angry"
I saw this earlier, my impression was that the title was a take-off on the film "The Gods Must Be Crazy" in which a Coke bottle dropped from an airplane becomes an object of divisiveness in an African tribe until one man decides to take it back to the gods because they were foolish for making only one of the thing.

"If the race of man should be left naked upon a desert island, we should become extinct in six weeks. A few individuals might linger, but in a year would become worse than monkeys." (Samuel Butler, "Erewhon")

TaurusII 53 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

10-24-01, 04:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TaurusII Click to send private message to TaurusII Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The Gods Are Angry"
NS,

A quick Web search turns up a few Masai gods: an Earth goddess, a Sky god, a Creator and Supreme Being. The only one I've found so far with any likely bearing is 'Nenaunir, who is an evil goddess responsible for storms.

Maybe you're on to something here.

)O

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings

10-24-01, 06:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: The Gods Must be Angry"
Scribe,
First thanks for correcting the title, because I too was racking my brains for a tie-in to the film. I guess there's no doubt the Gods ARE Angry, so why? (I take "god" to represent both gods and goddesses, as it has been used that way forever)

My usual suspect for cause of deity wrath: showing the god(s) insufficient respect.

Manifestation of wrath: injury, illness, weather, plague, angry animals, famine, drought. Losing streak...

Could be the lions encroaching; could be Lindsey showing too much hubris and crashing from dehydration; could be Boran showing disrespect and losing third IC in a row.

"Don't think it won't happen just because it hasn't happened yet"

allaboutme 13 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

10-24-01, 08:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail allaboutme Click to send private message to allaboutme Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: The Gods Must be Angry"
I think this is a reference to the legend of Sisyphus, in which he maddens the Gods and is forced to roll a heavy ball up a hill until it falls back down and he has to start over again and again and again....
This ties into the giant dung ball challenge discussed elswhere, based on the dung beetles in Africe that roll their balls around also and I believe carry the name Sisyphus beetles

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings

10-24-01, 08:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "I Agree..."
The gods being angry is central to the Sisyphus legend. The Sisyphus legend lends its name to the dung beetle. The dung ball race is the thrilling IC of EP3.

Should not the most important event of the episode (a large scale very physical challenge) be referenced in the title?

I think it should.

September 11, 2001

mavsfan 693 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

10-25-01, 00:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mavsfan Click to send private message to mavsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: The Gods Must be Angry"
The dung beetle is probably where the Gods Must be angry comes from, but...

If the Boran lose another immunity challenge, the Gods could be angry that the Boran's disrespected mother Africa on the first day by dumping out the water.

Dumping the water indicated the Boran's didn't take serious just how brutal life in Africa could be, and they offended the Gods. Now the Boran's are sufferening the punishment of the angry gods.

scorpio 25 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

10-25-01, 01:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail scorpio Click to send private message to scorpio Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: The Gods Must be Angry"
or...... it could be in reference to Linda's Ep 1 speech about the disrespect shown to Africa by the tribe in the early goings..

sleeeve 3456 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

10-25-01, 12:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sleeeve Click to send private message to sleeeve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "Sudden Thought..."
Just today, this suddenly struck me as the same thing that happened with Amber in S2.

Ie: the Borans lose another challenge (the RC)get to hear a diatribe from one of the tribe members about how the gods must be angry, cause they just can't seem to win.

What happened in S2??? Well... the team came back to win the IC... could it happen again???

You never know what might be up my sleeeve...

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •