LAST EDITED ON 06-06-07 AT 01:42 PM (EST)
>"So, I’d love to see Michel
>or another ‘Editing Analysis’
>guru begin a thread dedicated
>to that art in this forum."
Really?? You want to impose that torture on me!
From memory, We had several "pirates" completely ignored from the confessionals: Azmyth, Nessa, Jupiter, Laurel, Sean, Kendra and Christa weren't introduced. The stories of these players could be developed soon but if they stay invisible another week, look for quick exits.
JD, Ben, Cheryl, Joy and Louie had many confessionals due to their roles in this episode. Besides the episode #1 story, we got a glimpse of:
- The personality of Louie and JD: Louie talking about not being afraid of the work needed on a ship and JD talking about his naval experience and his leadership qualities. A conflict was developed between Louie and the captain. I don't know if that will continue once JD isn't captain or is Louie's anger always going to be towards the weekly captain. The long term prospects of both would be better served if it becomes a personal conflict. Lets not forget that Louie is a character that would always attract the camera, so that could be a distraction.
- The strategy of Ben and Cheryl: Ben talked about staying under the radar and Cheryl told us she knows how the criminal mind works. If those stories get developed once they return to being deck-hands, it would serve them well.
On the other hand, Joy's confessionals were all about her sea-sickness and her vulnerability at PC. The only positive point was hearing JD saying that everybody likes her. Will that be her story? It's not much to go on.
I hold more hope for the players who weren't intrinsic to the story but were still featured, with one exception:
- Christian had a few confessionals but considering his "star" status, it isn't promising. Compared to Gary "Hawkins" in Guatemala, I don't think Christian is in for very long.
- Alexis had quite a few confessionals and many reaction shots during the PC. We also had a quote from John that could either be seen as showing his weirdness or setting up Alexis. When John said: "My astrologer told me to beware of a red haired fox" he was talking to Alexis. If only Alexis had been more focused on by the camera at the time, I'd say that could be our million dollar quote but we almost had to guess John was talking to her. Still, unnecessarily, Alexis' character was shown in episode #1. It could be a good sign compared to the ones that were ignored,
- Jay was the star of the show even without a role. He has a unique look but he didn't come across as a character "ŕ la" Shane or Dreamz. Being the narrator of the troubles of the red team and having all of his reactions shown during the episode is a sure sign we'll be following his story for a while.
We might also have an Outcast twist to blur the stories. We had one the last time Burnett had a pirate theme season.
Guess I did have something to say once I got started. I don't know about starting a thread however. Lets see how episode #2 goes and if there's interest.