The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"RollerGirls"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

Flipper 53 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

01-04-06, 06:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Flipper Click to send private message to Flipper Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"RollerGirls"
I tivo'd this show on Monday night and watched it last night. I'm posting to say, this show has shattered my NY resolution not to get sucked in to anymore reality series. The season pass is already moved to the top of my list.

It's a show about different roller derby teams in Austin, Texas, and I found the characters (cast) and the action of the game completely riveting.

Here is the website for the show:

http://www.aetv.com/rollergirls/

If you're looking for an unusual show with cool, strong women, this may be the show for you. A&E is replaying the first episode many times this week, so there are plenty of chances to catch it.

Any other fans out there?

Flipper

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: RollerGirls DigiCatJond 01-06-06 1
 RE: RollerGirls Ricky 01-06-06 2
   RE: RollerGirls Flipper 01-12-06 3
       RE: RollerGirls chickeee22 01-14-06 4
           RE: RollerGirls Spanky68 01-14-06 5
               RE: RollerGirls chickeee22 01-17-06 6
                   RE: RollerGirls goldie1000 01-17-06 7
           RE: RollerGirls Flipper 01-18-06 8

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

DigiCatJond 37 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

01-06-06, 08:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DigiCatJond Click to send private message to DigiCatJond Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: RollerGirls"
LAST EDITED ON 01-06-06 AT 09:04 PM (EST)

I checked it out,didn't think i would like it, BUT i seem to be anticipating the next episode. Looks like it will follow another member of a different team.
Yep, totally sucked in by venis envy storyline.
edited to fix spelling

Ricky 1106 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

01-06-06, 09:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ricky Click to send private message to Ricky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: RollerGirls"
I only caught the very beginning of it where a girl was looking over her wounds on the bed with her boyfriend.

Are you sure this is a real ? Or are these actors ?

In the end, those of us that walk away winning, win more than just a loss - Audrey, Apprentice loser

01-12-06, 01:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Flipper Click to send private message to Flipper Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: RollerGirls"
LAST EDITED ON 01-12-06 AT 05:29 PM (EST)

<<Are you sure this is a real ? Or are these actors ? >>

I finally watched episode 2 last night, and I'm even more wild about the show. I didn't answer the question about whether the cast is real or not because I knew zero about roller derby, but coincidentally on the CBS Sunday Morning show last week, they did a segment on it and I think I learned a little about it.

There are actual leagues, the matches are public events for which fans pay to get in. There are rules, although they are tongue-in-cheek, for example if a player gets a penalty she may have to skate down "Spank Alley", a row of fans wielding paddles to spank the offending players butt.

All that being said the competition aspect seems genuine, but there seems to be the type of choreography, show-womanship associated with wrestling. Each player is a regular person with an outside life, and she adopts a rink alter ego, complete with rink alter ego names. To me this colorful aspect of the players flamboyant personalities is part of the appeal. I know there is also a legitimate sport of wrestling, I don't know if there is a roller derby equivalent to that. The roller girls do seem to be playing competitively to win.

The teams that have the match of the week (this week it was the Hell Cats versus the Catholic schoolgirl-clad Holy Rollers) have a pre-match scrimmage, in which they seem to practice together. In the latest episode, one of the teams was seen studying video of the other team and strategizing about defense.

I still whole heartedly recommend this show, for me it's showing me a slice of life I've never seen, I love these raucous girls and their families and friends and I love watching the matches.

If you've been watching Survivor and felt drawn to the occasional female contestant who has tattoos, a strong personality or is generally quirky, you may really like this show because from what I've seen so far, pretty much every player they've profiled is like that. Think, whole teams of Angies, Amis, Kelly Ws & Sue Hawks, with even more interesting personalities and skin art.

Flipper

chickeee22 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

01-14-06, 11:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail chickeee22 Click to send private message to chickeee22 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: RollerGirls"
"there seems to be the type of choreography, show-womanship associated with wrestling"

I am part of a Rollerderby organziation in Philadelphia called the PennJersey Shedevils. Believe me, these women are not "choregraphing" their battles. These women take their bouts very very seriously. They practice hard and play hard and in the heat of the battle, tempers flair and with that comes fists flying. This sport is one of the most aggressive sports women can be in and it is also one of the most fulfilling. I strongly recommend that if any woman out there is interested in skating, check out your local team. There all teams all over the country in almost every state. You will love doing it as much as you love watching the show about it.

Spanky68 8092 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-14-06, 08:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Spanky68 Click to send private message to Spanky68 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: RollerGirls"
Is it a professional sport in that they/you get PAID to compete? Or is it voluntary like my beer league softball game. From the size of the crowd on Rollergirls, it looked like they really couldn't be getting paid much more than minimum wage, unless there is TV $ or a big time sponsor.

I used to watch some rollerderby on TV with my aunt in the mid 70s. But I never understood any of the rules.

chickeee22 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

01-17-06, 08:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail chickeee22 Click to send private message to chickeee22 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: RollerGirls"
"Is it a professional sport in that they/you get PAID to compete"

I can't speak for every league, but most of the leagues out there are skater owned and operated. Usually whatever money they make on ticket sales, fundraisers etc goes right back into the league to pay for the bouts, rink rentals, uniforms etc. They are not paid a "salary". They skate purely for the love of skating and love of the sport. Now from what I understand, TXRD is drawing thousands of fans for their bouts. They may be making a small amount of pay but if they are, it's nothing substantial. I can't say for sure though because I'm not a part of their league.

goldie1000 1087 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

01-17-06, 10:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail goldie1000 Click to send private message to goldie1000 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: RollerGirls"
I love this show.
I was hooked right from the beginning.
And that chick, "Miss Conduct", can she ever skate, and fast !!!
and Sister Mary Jane is good on skates also.
They have a good team.
I can see now why their ego's are inflated,
cause they are undefeated as of yet.
I played womens hockey for years and I can say these gals are
tough stuff !!

It's all in good fun

01-18-06, 02:04 PM (EST)
8. "RE: RollerGirls"

I just wanted to say I meant no offense in saying there appears to be choreography and show womanship, I really know nothing about the sport at all, but I like the show very much and the competition looks very real to me. I've actually already bought some tickets to see some local teams skate live in my area, so I'm doing what I can to support the sport.

The thing that threw me was the pre-game scrimmage. I'm not familiar with a sport when the two teams that will have their real match have a pre-match together. Why is that, what is the objective of the pre-match scrimmage between the competing teams?

Don't get me wrong, I love the show, love the girls and dream about when I can take a turn in Spank Alley.

Flipper

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •