The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Zap2It Momily article"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Spoiler/Speculation Forum (Protected)
Original message

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-21-01, 12:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Zap2It Momily article"
http://tv.zap2it.com/news/tvnewsdaily.html?22070

Mother/Daughter Team Looks Back at 'Amazing Race'
Wed, Nov 21, 2001 11:43 AM PDT
by Greg Baerg
Zap2it.com, TV News

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - Though "Survivor" continues to grab headlines in its Thursday night battles with NBC's "Friends," there is another reality show on CBS that has managed to find some very loyal fans despite some intense competition.

"The Amazing Race" debuted in September in a much-hyped duel with NBC's "Lost" to be reality TV's next big thing. However, following the Sept. 11 attacks, what once seemed like a sure-fire hit faltered in the ratings, and has since settled into a comfortable option for those not interested in heavy drama ("The West Wing") or comedy ("The Drew Carey Show") on Wednesday nights.

Contestants in the race now have a chance to talk about their experiences, and as the race nears its end, the contest is becoming more and more competitive. Nancy and Emily Hoyt, the only parent-child team to take part in the game, were the latest players to be eliminated in the show, and though they appeared to be assured of moving on, a conscious choice to avoid one of the show's "detour" challenges cost them dearly as they received a 24-hour penalty. However, the two accept the choice they made.

"There was no doubt in my mind that we were out," Nancy tells Zap2it.com. "At that point, we had been up 48 hours and I ran out of steam. Emily did not want to give up."

"It was a tough decision," her daughter Emily agrees.

The elimination was viewed by some viewers as unforgivable because it allowed "Team Guido" (life partners Joe and Bill) to survive another week -- and Team Guido caused a rift between teams earlier in the series by blocking several from boarding a plane. But Nancy and Emily hold no ill will towards the two, and say the groups made up in India. In fact, despite the way teams have been presented on the show, with some shown battling with one another or lashing out, both Nancy and Emily say the atmosphere was not tense at all.

"If you got eliminated, it was your own fault for making a bad choice, or taking the wrong turn or doing something stupid," Emily says. "We all could be friends and yet still be competing against one another."

And though most people were portrayed fairly, both agreed that the split between Lenny and Karyn (who broke up on the spot when they were eliminated) was the biggest surprise because most of their problems came when no other teams were around.

"Lenny's a great guy, and Karyn's a wonderful, wonderful girl and they portrayed her as such a negative person," Emily says.

For the Hoyts, the best moment from "The Amazing Race" is one that viewers never got to see because it took place during a pit stop at India's Laxmi Niwas Palace. The teams stayed there for two and a half days during a particularly long layover, and mingled with the crew to watch sunsets from the Palace's balcony.

"The food was wonderful, rooms were great ... everyone relaxed," Nancy says. "It was like a little mini vacation -- I remember writing in my journal that I felt like I was on a family reunion with extended family. That was such a high point of the whole trip."

"There were only five teams and we all really, really bonded," Emily adds.

However, even with the memories from the pit stop, both Nancy and Emily agree that India is the only destination they visited during the race that they have no urge to ever visit again.

"India was awful," Nancy says. "The crowd, the poverty, the smell ... it was overwhelming."

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Zap2It Momily article ykchan 11-21-01 1
 RE: Zap2It Momily article AmazingFan 11-21-01 2
   RE: Zap2It Momily article Cole 11-21-01 3

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

ykchan 58 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

11-21-01, 01:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ykchan Click to send private message to ykchan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Zap2It Momily article"
Hmm, a 2.5 day layover as opposed to 12 hours? That's odd.

AmazingFan 121 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

11-21-01, 01:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AmazingFan Click to send private message to AmazingFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Zap2It Momily article"
Thanks for the article - this finally answers my question about the Bikaner stopover - and explains the nightime dinner, wine & dancing scenes we saw at the beginning of the last episode....

Cole 409 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

11-21-01, 02:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cole Click to send private message to Cole Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Zap2It Momily article"
I agree, great article. The 2.5 days as opposed to 12 hours was surely appreciated by all. If I were on this race I'd be quickly exhausted unless breaks like this are built in... I think towards the end endurance should play a factor and hopefully the race will be continuous and exhaustion catches up to the older Guidos! The 2.5 days did not have any effect other than recharging everyone. At the beginning of the next episode, I'm not sure exactly what was said, but I think Phil might have simply said, "teams depart in the same order they arrived, Kevin and Drew who arrived at 10:45 pm will depart at 4:45 am". So it's possible we were not technically lied to, plus it happens all the time with supposedly live taped shows like Millionaire ("portions of this show not affecting the outcome have been edited") Also remember that not only do the teams have to endure the constant running around, but so to the camera and sound guys and the rest of the production crew.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •