The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Video Vs Satellite Photo"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-31-01, 09:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Video Vs Satellite Photo"
LAST EDITED ON 09-01-01 AT 00:12 AM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 08-31-01 AT 11:05 PM (EST)

Indepth Analysis of the
Extra Interview vs the Satellite Photos

The Extra interview:

http://www.survivorfever.net/ExtraVideo1.rm

Shows Mark Burnett in and around a group of mud huts. It is my contention that these mud huts are the the objects in the circle structure on the satellite photo. I also contend that these huts are the tribal council set. Some of the huts are designed to be used as camera locations for coverage of the tribal councils. The placement of a large camera scaffold near the huts indicates the location of the voting area and another scaffold under some nearby trees shows the position of the confessional area. The analysis makes reference to my earlier breakdown of the TC structures posted previously:

Color Coding for Vid Caps and Photos:

Red Letters are used to indicate objects that appear in the video and also appear on the satellite photos. Blue numbers are used to indicate the camera placements used in the Extra interview and the blue dotted lines indicate the apparent line of sight in each case.

Photo Number 1

The interviewer, John Kelly, can be seen standing in front of two camera positions that are in the process of being constructed and a camera standing alone.

Item A shows a large scaffold already erected and what appears to additional unassembled scaffolding on the ground directly behind it. On the scaffold is a large, studio-style camera pointing of to the left.

Item B shows a smaller camera on a tripod pointing in the same direction as the larger scaffold-based camera.

Items C and D are trees that pointed out as references points to orient the camera view and object placement on the annotated satellite view shown here:

Item A appears to be the completed scaffolding with with tarps or tents draped on the sides and perhaps a tent to the side. I suggest that this is the field studio control room for the filming of the TC sequences. The static nature of the TC is the only aspect of Survivor that lends itself to the use of studio cameras and these studio cameras require a studio control room. Here is an enlargement of the satellite photo showing a rectangular area that looks like like two scaffolds next to each other:

Also note how the two cameras are both pointing back towards the 'voting area'. These cameras are apparently being set up to cover the walk up to the voting area and the vote itself.

Photo Number 2

Over John Kelly's right shoulder, one can seea structure (Item E) constructed under the tree in the distance. This appears to be another camera scaffold with the tarps already wrapped around it. Since it is under a tree, it does not appear on the satellite map but I have marked its location as Item E. I submit that the purpose of the camera scaffold is to to shoot the Survivor's long walk of shame note how the camera position is set up to see right down the 'walk of shame' exit of the camp.

Photo Number 3

Shows an angle that is almost completely reversed to that of Photos 1 and 2. It is looking at the smaller camera and tripod from the other side and clearly shows some scrub brush behind it which is labled item F on the satellite photo.

Finally... these last photos show Burnett and Kelly in the area of the huts themselves a burlap covered blind can been seen in the background, the top rail of which appears as a black strip.

I do not think that this is the black ring that appears in the satellite photo. I suspect that it was a temporary security measure to keep away the prying eyes of workers delivering construction materials, etc. Judging the width of the ring on the satellite image and the indistinct quality of the line, I would say the thorn fence was erected after the interview.

Note that the windows in the huts are large and square. These are not huts to live in, these are camera locations. The survivor camp would not be so luxurious as to have framed windows and it hardly seems logical that a traditional African hut would be constructed that way. These are definitely camera positions that are designed not to seen on camera but to allow a camera to see.

I am becoming more and more certain that this is the tribal council set.

Summary:

The only aspect of Survivor that lends itself to the use of locked down studio cameras is the TC where the movement of the tribe members is carefully choreographed.

These huts are obviously not constructed in a traditional manner and are too luxurious for tribe use. They are not practical for crew use. They are set dressing and camera placements for the tribal council.

Properly lit at night, this 'Council Village' will be visually striking... the long walk of shame will be more compelling because of the open ground... imagine a line of torches marking the long walk out into the darkness outside the village... the visual metaphor of banishment from the safety of the village into wild unmerciful dark will be a powerful one indeed!

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I give you... the Tribal Council!

Meow!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 My jury vote: TC area sleeeve 08-31-01 1
   Yikes... Thanks Sleeeve! IceCat 08-31-01 2
 RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo mavsfan 08-31-01 3
 RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo Survivorerist 09-01-01 4
   RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo Drive My Car 09-01-01 5
 RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo PepeLePew13 09-01-01 6
 RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo dabo 09-02-01 7
 Timing of Extra Interview... IceCat 09-02-01 8
   Wow! idiotcowboy 09-02-01 9
       RE: Wow! scorpio 09-02-01 10
           RE: Wow! Drive My Car 09-02-01 11
               Generator Noise? Krautboy 09-05-01 14
                   RE: Generator Noise? Drive My Car 09-05-01 15
                   RE: Generator Noise? scorpio 09-05-01 16
           Agreed... IceCat 09-02-01 12
   RE: Timing of Extra Interview... SurvivorBlows 09-03-01 13
 RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo MDSkinner 09-05-01 17
 RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo Krautboy 09-05-01 18
   RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo scorpio 09-05-01 19
 RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo LadyT 09-05-01 20
   RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo Mitrelleum 09-06-01 21
       RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo scorpio 09-06-01 22
           RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo Mitrelleum 09-07-01 23
 RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo SherpaDave 09-09-01 24
   A Quick Rebuttal... IceCat 09-09-01 25
       RE: A Quick Rebuttal... PepeLePew13 09-09-01 26
           RE: A Quick Rebuttal... SherpaDave 09-10-01 27
               Rain at Tribal Council Drive My Car 09-10-01 29
 Voting RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo dabo 09-10-01 28
 Dan Bollinger Post Krautboy 09-10-01 30
   Thanks KB... IceCat 09-10-01 32
 Mitchell confirms Moon Balloon Krautboy 09-10-01 31
 RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo Dan Bollinger 09-16-01 33
   RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo IceCat 09-16-01 34
       RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo Dan Bollinger 09-16-01 35
           Pixel Counting and Scaffold Size IceCat 09-16-01 36
               RE: Pixel Counting and Scaffold Siz... Dan Bollinger 09-17-01 37
                   What about scaffold height? Krautboy 09-17-01 38
                       RE: What about scaffold height? Dan Bollinger 09-17-01 39
                           A Better Close-Up... IceCat 09-17-01 40
                               RE: A Better Close-Up... Dan Bollinger 09-18-01 41
                                   RE: A Better Close-Up... Krautboy 09-18-01 42
 Over a Month Before... IceCat 10-01-01 43
   IceCat sleeeve 10-01-01 44
       RE: IceCat SurvivorBlows 10-02-01 46
   HIGHFIVES ICECAT! dabo 10-02-01 45
   RE: Over a Month Before... moonbaby 10-02-01 49
   RE: Over a Month Before... SherpaDave 10-02-01 51
 Thanks, Gents... IceCat 10-02-01 47
   RE: Thanks, Gents... MakeItStop 10-02-01 48
   RE: Thanks, Gents... NightScribe 10-02-01 50
       More Pics Off Surviiivor.com... IceCat 10-02-01 52
           CBS says "Uncle!" Krautboy 10-03-01 53

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

sleeeve 3456 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

08-31-01, 10:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sleeeve Click to send private message to sleeeve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "My jury vote: TC area"
Excellent analysis, IceCat!!!

You really pieced this whole thing together... and I have to agree that your argument is practically flawless... (In fact, the only flaw that I can come up with is that you didn't track down Mark Burnett, and hold him hostage, until he confessed that this was the TC set... but don't get any ideas... that might be borderline unethical, and, though I'm not a lawyer, it's probably illegal in some countries )

You seem to have put together an excellent theory on why this must be the TC... and it's color-coded, too!!!

You say:
"Finally... these last photos show Burnett and Kelly in the area of the huts themselves a burlap covered blind can been seen in the background"

Can you add these images to your post, for reference, please?

You never know what might be up my sleeeve...

08-31-01, 10:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "Yikes... Thanks Sleeeve!"
LAST EDITED ON 08-31-01 AT 10:14 PM (EST)

Stoopid Stoopid Cat!

I tracked those pesky jpg varmints down...

Should be good to go, now!

Meow!

mavsfan 693 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

08-31-01, 11:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mavsfan Click to send private message to mavsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo"
Excellent, job.

I'm a little surprised they don' have gates to keep the criters out when the TC isn't in use (although maybe they are just too thin to see), but I think without doubt you've pegged the TC location and layout.

Survivorerist 4103 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

09-01-01, 00:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Survivorerist Click to send private message to Survivorerist Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo"
Wow, IC, I've said it to sleeeve before and I just have to tell you. You guys are simply amazing.

"Aren't instruments fun?"
-Alyson Hennigan, American Pie 2

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

09-01-01, 03:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo"
Looks exactly right.
IceCat Rocks!
Thanks man.

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

09-01-01, 09:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo"
Thanks for the analysis, IceCat... it will be quite interesting to see how things unfold on the first episode with the tribal council having gotten a preview on here (will be thinking "IceCat analyzed that this or that will go here, etc."). I've been looking at the overhead images as posted on other threads for a few days now and it didn't really completely come together until you added the visual displays and explanations... thanks! Great job as usual.

"Permit me to introduce myself. I am Pepe Le Pew, your lover."

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

09-02-01, 01:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo"
Color me seriously impressed, Icecat, I do believe you have this one perfectly wrapped up with all the nice ribbon and bow frills. Excellent work.

"If the race of man should be left naked upon a desert island, we should become extinct in six weeks. A few individuals might linger, but in a year would become worse than monkeys." (Samuel Butler, "Erewhon")

09-02-01, 10:47 AM (EST)
8. "Timing of Extra Interview..."
Some discussion has arisen regarding the timing of the Jon Kelley interview. I maintain that it occured during the last few days before competition began for S3. My reasoning for this is listed below but I would like to know if anyone has the actual dates that the interview was shot.

My Reasoning:

I noticed on the Extra TV interview that Jon Kelley, when speaking on camera at the Africa location, says that Survivor won a 'landslide of Emmys'. A few seconds later on a voice over he says 'Survivor was recently nominated for 5 Emmys'

I suspect that the Jon Kelley footage was shot prior to the announcement of the Emmys and they had to use a non-specific phrase in order to refer to the number of nominations the show had received. In order to make the interview seem more topical they had to reference the Emmy nominations without knowing how many had actually been garnered by Survivor. It's not as though they could quickly fly back to Africa and re-shoot!

Once back in the studio, they simply did a voice over with Jon Kelley providing the actual number (5). Listen how Jon Kelley really emphasizes the number 5 during the voice over.

Since the Emmys nominations were announced on July 12th, I strongly suspect that the video was shot prior to this date.

Timeline analyses have put Day 1 of competition sometime between July 9th and July 12th.

It is logical that this would be the time that the final camera installations for the Tribal Council set would be underway. I am sure that it is this process that we see occuring in the background of Jon Kelley's on-camera sequence.

It is interesting to note that the ET interview was done away from the set and the interviewer asked MB how he heard about the Emmy nominations -- past tense.

I think that MB allowed Extra an on-set interview prior to competiton Day 1 but closed the set by the time ET arrived for their interview because competition was under way after July 12th.

MB can allow interviews on-set with a proviso that he has absolute final approval on what is shown on screen -- thus nothing of any easy spoiling value will appear. He could let Jon Kelley's crew film at various sites and then just pick and choose what shots he would let them use. CBS seems to have a penchant for contractual restrictions... I am sure that news media visiting the set would be subject to very restrictive control over what they could show.

For the above reasons, I maintain that the activity shown in the Jon Kelley Extra TV sequence are the final preparations of the Tribal Council set during the last few pre-competition days.

It would very nice if someone could actually confirm the shooting dates (not the air dates) for the Jon Kelly sequence, though!

P.S.

Meow!

idiotcowboy 1135 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

09-02-01, 11:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail idiotcowboy Click to send private message to idiotcowboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "Wow!"
Sorry I have no dates or anything else of much use now, but I needed to comment on your work.

WOW! Isn't it cool we have the greatest vid-cap spoiler ever on our boards?

Ok, everyone go back to your regular spoiling.

-ICB

scorpio 25 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

09-02-01, 12:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail scorpio Click to send private message to scorpio Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Wow!"
IceCat:

To say that I am impressed with you analysis is an understatement. Outstanding work!. I got to thinking about structure E.. and wondered if that square shaped object was not something providing the material needs of the cameras - power. It's about the size of the fairly substantial portable generator neccessary to provide the juice to feed the cameras, lights etc around the TC, would have to be pretty well insulated to reduce the noise level on the set, as well as protected from the heat, dust etc. The coverings, more of a camouflage, would also be there to help it blend in with the surroundings. Even if the cameras were running off battery power during actual shooting you would't want to be hauling them back and forth to recharge, and undoubtedly the lighting would be needed to produce just the desired effect for the TC filming in the dark.

09-02-01, 01:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Wow!"
Welcome to Survivor Blows Scorpio.
I like the idea of a generator, it seems to fit.
Although I am not one of our resident detectives here on the spoiler board, it may be something that they want to look into.
Hope you decide to stay with us, the closer we get to the new season airing, the more information we'll have. It should be alot of fun.

EBug

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

09-05-01, 11:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "Generator Noise?"
LAST EDITED ON 09-05-01 AT 11:10 AM (EST)

Scorpio and Buggy: Yes it does seem necessry to have a power generator, but how do you deal with the noise? The sound of a gasoline powered generator has not been part of previous programs and certainly not part of the image of "survival in the wild". Do they just run it during "off camera" periods to recharge batteries?

I would think they would be more likely to keep it near the production camp rather than the tribal council area, but a lot happens behind the scenes that we aren't aware of...

Krautboy

09-05-01, 11:20 AM (EST)
15. "RE: Generator Noise?"
I have been thinking about what you said Krautboy. Conventional generators can be loud and not practical in the middle of a set.
It may be a bit of a side track, but you science guys might be interested. What about this type of generator?
http://www.aurasystems.com/

p.s. Love your pic

09-05-01, 01:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail scorpio Click to send private message to scorpio Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Generator Noise?"
Agree Krautboy. I'm not that great at sleuthing, but that big rectangular shape had me wondering. From the vidcaps, it certainly looks like this is a semi-permanent "set" such as for the TC - the scaffold mounted studio style cameras on fixed, or almost fixed shooting lines, annd so on. The Survivors always sit/stand in the same spots, as do the jury and JiffyProbe. That set me to thinking about the TC in S1 and S2, and the production needs.. lighting, set design and so on. I agree on the layout being well designed with camera hidey holes and so on, but the set will need a fairly good reliable, power source. If I were the engineers building the set, I would want that power source off at some distance, but not too far, under cover so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb (including from satellite imagery .. grins>). So under that huge acacia is probably just right. The noise is going to come from the exhaust, so my gut feel is good sound suppression on that, plus a lot of heavy noise absorbing cover, which would double as camouflage.

If they overdesign (provide way more power capacity than they need), the generator is going to be running under light load, the power draw on the gas engine will be less, and as a result, noise levels reduced.

But then again it could be MB's airstream trailer or Jeff's dressing room .....

09-02-01, 01:49 PM (EST)
12. "Agreed..."
The generators, the control room, many different things required for the support of the large studio-style camera could all be in the vicinity of the the structure.

Welcome to the board scorpio and thank you for the compliment.

Thanks to everyone else as well!

Meow!

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

09-03-01, 01:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Timing of Extra Interview..."
Ice, great work all 'round. The only think I'm not sure I believe is that SpaceImaging is "hiding" anything else that appeared in the images -- I just don't think anything else was there.

Re: the interview, that sounds correct to me. If I remember correctly, filming began 7/11.

MDSkinner 716 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

09-05-01, 01:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MDSkinner Click to send private message to MDSkinner Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo"
Wow, Ice. This is great analysis. I think you are on the mark for this one.

09-05-01, 04:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo"
IceCat: Just wanted to add my compliments on a fine analysis.I was on the fence leaning towards a merger camp and this analysis has me jumping onto the Tribal Council side with both feet. Great idea combining the two sources into one analysis!

...the only problem is that now you need to help Dan Bollinger fix his map, since you shot a big hole in it!

Krautboy

09-05-01, 04:57 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo"
Agree, but this could potentially mean that the tribal camps are somewhere within the now famous satellite shot - sort of equistant .. what 4-5kms from the TC circle? My gut feel is that the tribal camps are between the base camp and the TC set. Reason? there is more travel of crews to the tribal camps than TC, and given the dry nature of the terrain , the crews will soon carve a series of trails to the camps, and these will be relatively easy to spot (see earlier comment). So I spent a few hours with weak eyes looking at the image.. there are a lot of little oddities on that jpg, enough to keep a military photoanalyst busy for some time. But nothing jumped out at me in the way of a sold lead. Has anyone else got a better view of that zone in the image?.

LadyT 5567 desperate attention whore postings

09-05-01, 05:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LadyT Click to send private message to LadyT Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo"
Ice Cat, you are simply amazing
-----------------------
"So what are my chances
of honest advances
I'd say low
Better to win
by admitting my sin
than to lose with a halo"
-Evita

Mitrelleum 257 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

09-06-01, 01:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Mitrelleum Click to send private message to Mitrelleum Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo"
LAST EDITED ON 09-06-01 AT 01:56 AM (EST)

Has it occurred to anybody that the little rectangular shape that we think may be a generator could in fact be the voting area?
Edited for spelling

09-06-01, 02:50 AM (EST)
22. "RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo"
Could be - but it's a little risky, outside the boma, at night, etc. If I had to call it I would say the hut at 1 o'clock high would be the voting hut...

Mitrelleum 257 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

09-07-01, 01:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Mitrelleum Click to send private message to Mitrelleum Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo"

Good point. There is also the possibility it could be the confessional area. The c.a. in S2 wasn't that far away from tribal council.

SherpaDave 8326 desperate attention whore postings

09-09-01, 01:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SherpaDave Click to send private message to SherpaDave Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo"
While I have to concur with everyone that you've done some AMAZING work here, Ice, there's a part of me that's not just playing devil's advocate that disagrees with your conclusions. Unfortunately, I don't put in the same kind of work you do, so some of my issues with this are more intuitive and won't be backed up by much. So lemme start with the one piece I've got that's a teeny bit concrete.

The same radio station I mentioned to you before that aired the bit about S3 being sued for environmental clean-up aired another story about a week later specifically regarding the Tribal Council set-up. They indicated that the TC was actually being constructed in a tree, with a hanging bridge leading to another tree where those voted out would go for final words. I wish I could fill you in more about what I heard, but these briefs come in the middle of a bunch of f'ing disco (it's difficult for me to state just how much I hate disco, both being from Chicago, where we practically burned down a baseball stadium protesting it, and being of the generation that created punk in reaction to it; I now return you to our regularly scheduled spoiling from this severe tangent), so my ears weren't entirely alert until they were already into describing it.

So... that's the bit I have to suggest an alternative. Now here's why, disregarding anything I've heard about an alternative, I think we must be looking at something other than TC in the above photos.

1) This seems to be a remarkably open space. Although the elements were somewhat evident within the TC spaces previously, they were kept out somewhat. Would MB really want the possibility of major downpours raining over everyone while Jiffy is grilling the survivors? Further, would he want the possibility of someone flying over to be able to get footage of a TC? That would potentially be a HUGE breach of security, no? If the site was discovered and open, spoilers with resources could give the boot order for the entire season. It IS possible that, if this IS TC, that some sort of covering was built up over it later, though.

2) Would MB really have given access to film crews to such a vital part of his set before the show had aired? I could see him allowing them to film the TC area (MAYBE) if there were very tight restrictions on when the segment could air, and those restrictions, I'd think, would provide for the segment not airing until after the first TC had aired.

3) While a large part of me wants to agree with you that this is it (primarily because I greatly respect your spoiling abilities), something just FEELS wrong about it. There's something just very mundane about the looks of it that doesn't parallel the kinds of "natural wonders" MB has had built for the previous two series.

I'd like to give some opinions as to what this area COULD be, but nothing especially jumps out at me. My first instinct is that it could well be housing for crew. That seems to me to be something that MB WOULD allow to be filmed. The perimeter (with a few exits) is suggestive to me of an area meant to keep people (contestants) out fairly easily. One comment you made about these not being huts to live in... I'd agree they're not meant for the tribes to live in, but what would preclude crew from living in them?

As much as I disagree with your conclusions, I'd still like to say that you've done some truly excellent work here. I think perhaps that we want too much to find massively relevant information a little earlier than it's really available.

The eyes are gone, the logo's back. Looks like the time where we'll be expected to use less resource-intensive graphics are just around the corner. Whee!

09-09-01, 02:30 AM (EST)
25. "A Quick Rebuttal..."
... They indicated that the TC was actually being constructed in a tree...

This rumor was subsequently revealed to be a hoax that somebody on the EZboard started and confessed to. It was picked up by a number in a number of news articles which are now being used as proof of the veracity of the story.

... Would MB really want the possibility of major downpours raining over everyone while Jiffy is grilling the survivors?...

MB had Mr. Probst et al get rained on a number of times in S2... even if he was concerned, there is probably even less rain in Kenya.

... Further, would he want the possibility of someone flying over to be able to get footage of a TC...

MB has had the full cooperation of the Kenya government and the Kenyan military. The entire Shaba reserve was made into a no-fly zone to protect the security of the show.

... Would MB really have given access to film crews to such a vital part of his set before the show had aired? I could see him allowing them to film the TC area (MAYBE) if there were very tight restrictions on when the segment could air, and those restrictions, I'd think, would provide for the segment not airing until after the first TC had aired...

Once again, MB's very own actions are at odds with your premise. The S2 tribal council site figured prominently in the promo that aired after the last episode of S1 and pictures of the final set design fully installed were also published before the first episode was aired.

... While a large part of me wants to agree with you that this is it (primarily because I greatly respect your spoiling abilities)...

I can't argue with you on that point! ;)

... There's something just very mundane about the looks of it that doesn't parallel the kinds of "natural wonders" MB has had built for the previous two series...

The S1 set had jungle surrounding it because it was in the jungle... not very visually appealing at night but he used the jungle because that's where they were. For some odd reason he went with a Stonehenge-looking thing for the outback location in S2. The TC was on a rocky cliff so he made the TC out of 'rock'. As far as the village motif for S2, I think it is brilliant. Imagine the Tribe approaching Tribal Council as they break out of the trees and approach the torch lit village just as the sun is setting. Imagine the darkening sky as Jiffy goes through the ritual. Imagine the victim walking away from the torch light and into the darkness out side the safety of the village. I think that the visual metaphor of voting someone 'out of the village' and into the dark unknown of the African night will make for excellent TV.

... One comment you made about these not being huts to live in... I'd agree they're not meant for the tribes to live in, but what would preclude crew from living in them?...

There are trailers and vehicles parked just down the road. I submit that these are used for the TC crew. The larger crew compound has been shown in quite some detail in the other satellite photo.

Sorry, but I have to stick to my video analysis guns on this one, Dave. I've gotten to the point where I can see in my head exactly how the opening sequence of the TC is going to look right down to the individual shot set ups and editing. I'll probably be completely wrong, but I've been looking at the satellite photos and the videos for too long!

Meow!

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

09-09-01, 04:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: A Quick Rebuttal..."
'Quick' rebuttal? Alicia's rebuttal to Kimmi, THAT was quick - but yours was a tad longer...

I think Ice has done a quite thorough analysis to show why it is most likely the TC site and explained the angles and what we were seeing in the photos, etc. It's not like they would have been giving anything away as to who would get booted when by using these pictures so there's not as much hush-hush secrecy about the layout of the TC. What's revealing is that we've had pretty much NOTHING on the tribal camps, so that makes sense that something like the TC site would be shown on the TV interview instead.

Some points...

It also rained quite often at the TC's in S1 as well -- if I remember right, at one point it rained something like 6 TC's in a row and each time JiffyProbe got wet.

Speaking of rain... that provides yet another use for the covered huts at this purported TC site -- it keeps the cameras and power generators dry. Scorpio suggested that the contestants always sit/stand in the same spots at the TC's and the TC's *must* go on rain or shine, so the crew has a place to keep the cameras dry and set up in one fixed place to film. If it rains while at the tribal camps, then the camera doesn't need to be out too long - just a few seconds of filming to show how wet it is, then they hide to wait out the weather.

As for flyovers... I would think somebody would have posted by now if anybody were even successful in taking pictures of contestants still in the game -- posting info considerably later on would only make people question the validity of the info if it's being held for so long. Ice has mentioned that MB got cooperation from the Kenya government (nothing a few U.S. greenbucks wouldn't have fixed) and got the area made into a no-fly zone.

It's going to be fun to see if IceCat's (and others on here) analysis of the TC plays out as he imagined it. I have a good feeling that it will be quite close to how it's been outlined thus far in this thresd... but if he's considerably off, well at least we've had a lot of fun poring over all the info and taking a big stab at what we do know! It's not like he's going to get thrown to the lions if he's wrong or going to win a gold medal if he's right...

"Permit me to introduce myself. I am Pepe Le Pew, your lover."

09-10-01, 02:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SherpaDave Click to send private message to SherpaDave Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: A Quick Rebuttal..."
I actually hope Ice is right. More props to the best spoiling boards on the net. But I've still got some healthy skepticism, and I think we'd all do well to exercise a good bit of it as we go. Because we've got so damned many good people at work here, it's easy to just shout "Amen, brother (or sister)!" to new theories posted. But if we do that, we might rule out other conclusions as other info becomes available.

Btw, regarding the rain... yes, it rained a lot during both S1 and S2, but most of the rain they dealt with was on the way to the TC's; the TC's themselves, while not fully covered, offered at least a minimum of shelter (probably because full-on monsoons out in the open would have washed out Jiffy's bons mots). I suspect that pattern's likely to hold.

Thanks for the heads up on the tree hoax. I mentioned in the Bar last night that most of my spoiling starts once the show starts. Like OFG, I'm more of a psychological spoiler, going based on what's actually aired. So I miss a lot of the pre-show stuff and get only snippets here and there. What's that they say about people who know just enough to be dangerous?

The eyes are gone, the logo's back. Looks like the time where we'll be expected to use less resource-intensive graphics are just around the corner. Whee!

09-10-01, 11:16 AM (EST)
29. "Rain at Tribal Council"
According to the weather tracker in the resource guide, it didn't rain at all. They may have been prepared to cover a council set, but it doesn't look like they needed to.

09-10-01, 10:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "Voting RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo"
LAST EDITED ON 09-10-01 AT 10:30 AM (EST)

I think the rectangle below the hut marked voting area would be where the voting is actually done, the hut being there for the camera and sound equipment. I also have to wonder where the torches are supposed to go.

edited because I accidentally hit enter before writing anything.

"If the race of man should be left naked upon a desert island, we should become extinct in six weeks. A few individuals might linger, but in a year would become worse than monkeys." (Samuel Butler, "Erewhon")

09-10-01, 05:26 PM (EST)
30. "Dan Bollinger Post"
IceCat and others: Have any of you had a chance to view the images that Dan refers toin his post below? Anything new?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Paratrooper and others have asked to view the uncropped version of the satellite images. Apparently, the overview image that I uploaded last week wasn't sufficient. I have now uploaded ALL the satellite images that I received. None are cropped. No other images exist. You can see them on the Overview page. (I would have gotten to them sooner, but I was teaching a personal growth workshop all weekend)

Please don't contact Space Imaging and ask them for more images. These folks did us a great (and expensive) favor by providing these images. Please don't bother them, they are trying to make a living.

Krautboy

09-10-01, 07:39 PM (EST)
32. "Thanks KB..."
I was one of the people who emailed Dan B.

I am going to go check if any of the new images is better than the one he sent me.

I am particularily interested in seeing 1 meter resolution renderings of the areas to the north and west of 'The Ring'.

Meow!

09-10-01, 06:18 PM (EST)
31. "Mitchell confirms Moon Balloon"
This post from JamesRiver is a e-mail response from Mitchell of S2. It confirms that the TC area does not require elaborate scafolding, etc. for lighting at Tribal Council and supports the theory that it is indeed the TC area seen in the Satelite photo...
Mitchell on Moon Balloon
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I heard back from Mitchell Olson, and he said that all there was, was a moon balloon for the TC set. So that definitively throws out the argument that the satellite pics can't be of TC b/c there is no scaffolding.

Here's his e-mail:

Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 23:56:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: Mitchell Olson < Mitchell's email address> | Block Address | Add to Address Book
Subject: Re: Lighting instruments for Tribal Council
To: CW <jamesriver229@yahoo.com>

It was a HUGE MOON BALLOON! Never filmed for TV, but
used for lighting. Other than that, just the light
from the fire.

Thanks for watching...and asking about the
Musical...it's coming along quite nicely.

Mitchell
--- CW <jamesriver229@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Mitchell,
>
> I hope you don't mind my e-mailing you, I still had
> your address from last February. I was wondering if
> you could tell me a couple details about the Tribal
> Council set from Survivor 2, specifically, what kind
> of lighting did they use for the set? (I'm into
> theatre and stuff, did it in college.) Was there
> some
> sort of scaffolding or something that they hung
> lights
> by above the set, or around the sides of it? Or was
> there only a "moon balloon" or something like that?
>
> I never saw any when it showed you all approaching
> the
> TC, but I figure maybe those were just "doubles" who
> were filmed before the show was shot. I just can't
> imagine that they could light as big a set as that
> was
> naturally, especially since you filmed at dusk.
>
> Thanks. Break a leg with your musical.
>
>
> __________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?
> Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail
> personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Krautboy

Dan Bollinger 15 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

09-16-01, 04:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Dan%20Bollinger Click to send private message to Dan%20Bollinger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo"
Ice Cat, A very thorough analysis! You paint a very convincing image of this being TC. Who knows, maybe you are right. I remain about 30% sure you are correct, the other 70% is a Tribal Camp for a couple of reasons. First, there was many times the amount of equipment and tents at the TC for S2. Second, the rectangle you say is the scaffolding measures 10' x 16' (or larger) in the satellite image. But, the scaffolding shown in the vidcap looks like typical scaffolding which measures about 3' x 6'. That's a nine times difference in area.

09-16-01, 04:57 PM (EST)
34. "RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo"
Hi Dan,

Welcome to SurvivorBlows!

I thank you for your compliments and your calculations about the area. I have said that there might be multiple scaffolds in use and a nine times increase in area would be consistent with the use of three scaffolds. Pixel bleed during the enlargement and filtering processes may have made the flat area larger, as well.

I know that everyone here appreciates your work on the maps and in securing the satellite photos. I hope that you will continue to check in on our spoiling efforts once the season gets under way.

September 11, 2001

09-16-01, 08:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Dan%20Bollinger Click to send private message to Dan%20Bollinger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "RE: Video Vs Satellite Photo"
Thanks for the hello! I'm happy to be here. You misunderstood what I was trying to say. Nine times increase is the equivalent of adding 8 scaffolds to your one.

When I scaled the image I took just the area you outlined in green. I cut off anything that looked like a shadow or highlight, or if it could be some other object.

Scaling is pretty easy to do. Just load the image into a image processor like Photoshop and zoom in until you can see the pixels. Each pixel is exactly 1m x 1m.

09-16-01, 10:18 PM (EST)
36. "Pixel Counting and Scaffold Size"
LAST EDITED ON 09-16-01 AT 10:22 PM (EST)

I enlarged the image and left the pixel guide grid in place to allow for easier counting. The flat area appears to be 6 pixels long (or about 19 feet) and about 3.5 pixels wide (or about 12 feet wide).

I also went back and had a closer look at the scaffold shown in the video. I thought that the 6 foot by three foot value seemed a little small for the scaffold I saw in the video. Luckily enough two men are shown standing next to or leaning on the scaffold. Assuming the men are roughly 6 feet tall (red line), the scaffold appears to be about 6 feet wide. It is hard to judge the length because of the foreshadowing effect but I would say that a 10 foot to 6 foot ratio would not be unreasonable.

If the scaffolds are 6 foot by 10 foot then only 4 scaffolds would be required. If the scaffolds were 6 foot by 12 foot then the approximate dimensions of the level area could be achieved with 3 scaffolds.

September 11, 2001

09-17-01, 08:49 AM (EST)
37. "RE: Pixel Counting and Scaffold Size"
I used the height of the man to get a 6' width, too. The depth could be more than 3', but not 10'. I have the advantage of having an Industrial Design degree, which means I know how to draw perspective drawings. The green rectangle you use to outline the scaffold platform looks more like a fore-shortened square to me. I'd say the green rectangle indicates an area 6' x 6' instead of the smaller 3x6 area I said before.

09-17-01, 03:01 PM (EST)
38. "What about scaffold height?"
Dan: Welcome to our humble board! I've been a long time fan of your work on your website and on the other boards and it's nice to see you here...

What does your perspective drawing experience tell us about the HEIGHT of the structure!!?? If you look at the original images the shadow length appears to be longer than the shadows of the trees in the same photos! That is assuming that the dark area to the left(southwest?) is a shadow. It appears in the same relationship to the structure as shadows of the trees, just longer. Could the tower/structure be taller than the surrounding trees? What do you think?

Krautboy

09-17-01, 06:27 PM (EST)
39. "RE: What about scaffold height?"
Thanks, I'm pleased to be here! The image is so complicated that I can't see anything that looks like a definite shadow from the scaffold. Of course only the platform would cast a large shadow, the tubes and struts wouldn't cast a shadow that the satellite could pick up. You'll notice that the huts cast a clear shadow and it appears it is about 10am.

09-17-01, 08:29 PM (EST)
40. "A Better Close-Up..."

Analysis of the Camera Scaffold

Images and Notations

Here is a better close-up... rendered in mono for higher contrast and smaller file size.

I have added a vertical scale (in blue) to compare the structures height to the height of the man standing at it's corner. I have also drawn the structural members in a dark color with green outline. When I reviewed the video, I noticed that there was a ladder propped up against the platform at the rear of of the platform (with respect to the camera sitting at the top). I have highlighted that ladder in red.

Structure Height

It is quite evident that the height of the platform (upon which the camera is standing) is approximately 10 feet. They have installed an additional vertical scaffold element at the far end. If a tarp covering was eventually installed it would take the total height to about 18 feet (allowing for clearance for the camera).

Scaffold Width

I have rotated the blue height guage (the man's height) to show that the width of the scaffold is approximately 6 feet.

Scaffold Length

The ladder may help us discern the length of the scaffold.

Dan you have suggested that the scaffold has a 6 foot width and a 6 foot length. The image just doesn't look right for that. The image looks more like the platform would have more of a rectangle shape than a square.

Notice how I have taken the width of the ladder and made distance guage markers that stretch the length of the rear of the scaffold. There are approximately 6 'ladders' worth of distance in that side of the scaffold. If the scaffold is, as you suggest, only 6 feet along in that dimension then the ladder would only be 1 foot across.

Most aluminum ladders I have worked with have a width of somewhere between 1.5 feet and 2 feet. If you multiply those values times 6, you get a length dimension for the scaffold of between 9 feet and 12 feet.

Conclusion

This scaffold is a large structure. If one considers the effect of adding tarps to the top and sides of this structure (to protect the camera from sun and wind driven dust) it is not hard to see why the finished structure appears so large (and tall) on the satellite image.

September 11, 2001

09-18-01, 09:11 AM (EST)
41. "RE: A Better Close-Up..."
The blow-up helps. I think your vertical scale is perfect. I'm still not willing to say the depth is greater than the width. In fact, looking at your enhanced image I'm even more convinced the platform is a square. I now think it is closer to 8' x 8'.

09-18-01, 04:52 PM (EST)
42. "RE: A Better Close-Up..."
8'x 8' makes sense if you consider that structural plywood or planking is manufactured in standardized sizes of 4'x 8'. It would also make sense that the plywood crating used for shipping much of this equipment would doulble function as structural platforms after other equipment is unpacked.

Krautboy

10-01-01, 08:00 PM (EST)
43. "Over a Month Before..."
TV Guide posted their article, Survivorblows.com had this one nailed! We beat all the other boards!

September 11, 2001

sleeeve 3456 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

10-01-01, 08:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sleeeve Click to send private message to sleeeve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
44. "IceCat"
Take a little more credit for this, IC!!!

This was (practically) all you!!! Way to go!!!

You never know what might be up my sleeeve...

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

10-02-01, 01:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
46. "RE: IceCat"
I agree with sleeeve Ice, give yourself some (a lot of) credit here.

Super kudos to IceCat!

-SB

10-02-01, 01:37 AM (EST)
45. "HIGHFIVES ICECAT!"
You Rock!
You Da Man!

moonbaby 17120 desperate attention whore postings

10-02-01, 12:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
49. "RE: Over a Month Before..."
Way to go, Ice Cat! *Gives the cat a whole lotta catnip!*

10-02-01, 07:12 PM (EST)
51. "RE: Over a Month Before..."
Ice, you da bomb. I had, as you well know, serious reservations about your analysis. But you were dead on, baby!

So... how long til we have the first bootee nailed down?

10-02-01, 07:40 AM (EST)
47. "Thanks, Gents..."
... but I'm reserving 'dancing in the endzone' for my first real spoil of the season!

Besides, it's the discussion that occurs around this place that triggers my little brainstorms. I often just notice something in a pic that reminds me of something someone said. I said it before and I'll say it again... It's the group discussions and analysis that make the process work!

Judging by the rate at which pics were taken at the first challenge by the various news agencies, there should be a ton of visual spoiler material to analyze!

September 11, 2001

MakeItStop 1098 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

10-02-01, 10:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail MakeItStop Click to send private message to MakeItStop Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
48. "RE: Thanks, Gents..."
What a gracious cat! Way to go Ice!

NightScribe 761 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

10-02-01, 06:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail NightScribe Click to send private message to NightScribe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
50. "RE: Thanks, Gents..."
LAST EDITED ON 10-02-01 AT 07:13 PM (EST)

Here are a couple of close up pics I found on another board.
They give a close up of what IceCat knew way back when it was just a blurry sattelite photo.

edited to add that I could only get one of these pictures up.

10-02-01, 07:57 PM (EST)
52. "More Pics Off Surviiivor.com..."
LAST EDITED ON 10-02-01 AT 07:57 PM (EST)

These are the pics that surviiivor.com has posted showing the TC, and voting booth. I posted reduced size pics. The camera angles pic is my work.

September 11, 2001

10-03-01, 00:23 AM (EST)
53. "CBS says "Uncle!""
The post that these shots came from referenced CBS as the source. IceCat, I guess the spoiling community, armed with maps, satelite images and excellent analysis beat them into submission, so they decided to save face and release the official pictures of Tribal Council...probably sooner than they wanted too. Congratulations to you and everyone who participated. We won another battle against Mark Burnett. First the contestants names, then the location and configuation of Tribal council. What will be next?

Krautboy

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •