The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Really, why the demise of SO"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Conferences Starting Over General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Current Message

smokeysmom 184 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

06-08-06, 03:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail smokeysmom Click to send private message to smokeysmom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
61. "RE: Really, why the demise of SO"
26 -- great post, I always enjoy your input as well as that of SR, Snow, Sharnina and the many other wise women on this board. Although you say you were kidding about a project (and I believe it would be a GREAT one!) -- I'd love to find a way to continue to "e-talk" with the women here, even if we can't exactly go "into production".

I agree that SO found an audience without any particular advertising, which surprised me as well. I'm a work at home baby boomer and it comes on at noon in NY so I landed on it during lunch. The first season hooked me, and as the other seasons started to deteriorate I actually used to use my lunch hour on this board with SO in the BACKGROUND! LOL!

I'm in the advertising field and have become increasingly frustrated with my industry's contention that "you are getting the images/media you ask / pay for." The implication being that we are all looking for Brangelina photos and Paris Hilton sex tapes because if we didn't buy it, they wouldn't produce it. I beg to differ. To my mind, if that's literally ALL that's offered -- yes, some will buy it and the rest of us will feel alienated and filled with disgust.

I was part of the Creative Team that developed the "Dove Campaign for Real Beauty". Remember those gorgeous real-sized, real-life women? I can't begin to tell you the resistance, the fights, the drama, the people that were fired, the focus groups and the nightmare it was to get that campaign running. Screaming meetings were 20-something year old MALE account managers practically gave themselves aneurisms shouting: ASPIRATIONAL! ASPIRATIONAL! women don't want to see themselves as they really are! ad nauseum.

Eventually a creative, baby boomer woman Brand Manager worked hard to make it happen. She put herself on the line and I think the results were spectacular. (AND the Sales figures were as well). However, the campaign took alot of flack in the media, with one woman (ouch!) on the Today Show actually implying that it encouraged young women to be fat.

AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH! None of those women were obese to a degree that would cause a health problem, we were careful about that. (Not that there is anything wrong with obesity either, it's not easy to stay fit in our super rushed, super stressed world and our human genetics are changing to be larger sized. Ever see shoes and clothes from the 1800s?)

Anyhoooooo -- Thank Godess the sales supported the work, and I hope that we can continue to move ourselves, and our sisters in that direction. We've really got to stop buying the crap, watching the crap and confirming the idea that "we're just selling you the garbage you want."

Rant a little why don't I?! These are the kinds of topics I would love to see this board's community continue and I think they exemplify why SO Season 1 and SO in general DID speak to a strong demographic.

Again, thanks to SR, Snow, Labyrinth, 26 and the countless other women here who made my lunch hour.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents
  Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Really, why the demise of SO   Shazbot     05-29-06       
   RE: Really, why the demise of SO   beckettrep     05-29-06     1  
     RE: Really, why the demise of SO   imagma     05-29-06     2  
         RE: Really, why the demise of SO   Zoey     05-29-06     3  
   RE: Really, why the demise of SO   SOfan0221     05-29-06     4  
   RE: Really, why the demise of SO   JustBNMe     05-29-06     5  
     RE: Really, why the demise of SO   SeasonedRefinement     05-30-06     6  
         RE: Really, why the demise of SO   SOfan0221     05-30-06     7  
             Many reasons - Some stayed too long...   SOTellItLikeItIsFan     05-30-06     8  
                 RE: Many reasons - Some stayed too ...   Snidget     05-30-06     9  
                     RE: Many reasons - Some stayed too ...   SOTellItLikeItIsFan     05-30-06     19  
         RE: Really, why the demise of SO   smokeysmom     05-30-06     12  
             RE: Really, why the demise of SO   SeasonedRefinement     05-30-06     18  
                 RE: Really, why the demise of SO   smokeysmom     05-31-06     22  
         RE: Really, why the demise of SO   beckettrep     05-31-06     24  
         RE: Really, why the demise of SO   L_11     07-08-06     75  
   RE: Really, why the demise of SO   banks     05-30-06     10  
     RE: Really, why the demise of SO   alaholly     05-30-06     11  
         RE: Really, why the demise of SO   creepyoldwoman     05-30-06     13  
     RE: Really, why the demise of SO   beckettrep     05-31-06     25  
   RE: Really, why the demise of SO   jonimoni     05-30-06     14  
     RE: Really, why the demise of SO   AshLanie     06-01-06     32  
   RE: Really, why the demise of SO   eire_heart74     05-30-06     15  
     RE: Really, why the demise of SO   BlingBlong     05-30-06     16  
   RE: Really, why the demise of SO   BlowingOver     05-30-06     17  
     RE: Really, why the demise of SO   SOTellItLikeItIsFan     05-30-06     20  
     RE: Really, why the demise of SO   SeasonedRefinement     06-06-06     57  
   RE: Really, why the demise of SO   26mitogo     05-31-06     21  
     RE: Really, why the demise of SO   SeasonedRefinement     05-31-06     23  
         RE: Really, why the demise of SO   Shazbot     05-31-06     26  
             RE: Really, why the demise of SO   Shazbot     05-31-06     30  
         RE: Really, why the demise of SO   staceeturner     05-31-06     27  
             RE: Really, why the demise of SO   staceeturner     05-31-06     28  
     RE: Really, why the demise of SO   kawyar     06-02-06     40  
   RE: Really, why the demise of SO   jennyhead     05-31-06     29  
     RE: Really, why the demise of SO   SeasonedRefinement     06-01-06     31  
   RE: Really, why the demise of SO   Marigold     06-02-06     33  
   RE: Really, why the demise of SO   Toushay     06-02-06     34  
     Brava! Brava!   mysticwolf     06-02-06     35  
         RE: Brava! Brava!   Toushay     06-02-06     36  
             RE: Brava! Brava!   tac_2     06-02-06     37  
                 RE: Brava! Brava!   BimBo     06-02-06     38  
                 RE: Brava! Brava!   BlingBlong     06-03-06     46  
     RE: Really, why the demise of SO   creepyoldwoman     06-03-06     43  
         RE: Really, why the demise of SO   Toushay     06-03-06     44  
   RE: Really, why the demise of SO   sunshinedrop     06-02-06     39  
     RE: Really, why the demise of SO   creepyoldwoman     06-03-06     42  
   RE: Really, why the demise of SO   geminirose     06-02-06     41  
     RE: Really, why the demise of SO   staceeturner     06-03-06     45  
   RE: Really, why the demise of SO   BlingBlong     06-03-06     47  
     RE: Really, why the demise of SO   creepyoldwoman     06-04-06     48  
         RE: Really, why the demise of SO   Toushay     06-04-06     49  
             RE: Really, why the demise of SO   creepyoldwoman     06-05-06     50  
         RE: Really, why the demise of SO   26mitogo     06-05-06     51  
             RE: Really, why the demise of SO   BimBo     06-05-06     52  
             RE: Really, why the demise of SO   BlingBlong     06-05-06     53  
                 RE: Really, why the demise of SO   techstyle     06-06-06     54  
                     RE: Really, why the demise of SO   Toushay     06-06-06     55  
                         RE: Really, why the demise of SO   Shazbot     06-06-06     56  
                             RE: Really, why the demise of SO   cronemoon     06-08-06     58  
                         RE: Really, why the demise of SO   26mitogo     06-08-06     60  
                             RE: Really, why the demise of SO   smokeysmom     06-08-06     61  
                                 RE: Really, why the demise of SO   jonimoni     06-08-06     62  
   RE: Really, why the demise of SO   BlingBlong     06-08-06     59  
   Cats Love Hunting in the Dark   Toushay     06-13-06     63  
     RE: Cats Love Hunting in the Dark   creepyoldwoman     06-14-06     64  
         RE: Cats Love Hunting in the Dark   SeasonedRefinement     06-14-06     65  
             RE: Cats Love Hunting in the Dark   creepyoldwoman     06-14-06     66  
                 RE: Cats Love Hunting in the Dark   SeasonedRefinement     06-14-06     67  
   RE: Really, why the demise of SO   justsaynototoughlove     06-26-06     68  
   RE: Really, why the demise of SO   sharnina     06-26-06     69  
     RE: Really, why the demise of SO   creepyoldwoman     06-26-06     70  
         RE: Really, why the demise of SO   sharnina     06-26-06     71  
         RE: Really, why the demise of SO   mysticwolf     06-26-06     72  
             RE: Really, why the demise of SO   Shazbot     06-27-06     73  
                 RE: Really, why the demise of SO   Cleverone     07-03-06     74  

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •