The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Favorite AI Performances So Far This Season"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

tig_ger 2098 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

04-28-03, 05:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tig_ger Click to send private message to tig_ger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Favorite AI Performances So Far This Season"
LAST EDITED ON 04-29-03 AT 06:44 PM (EST)

My DH and I were discussing the respective talent (or lack thereof) of the various AI finalists this season, and comparing it to last year. My theory is that there is more talent this year, but less improvement, so I'm enjoying the final rounds less this year. IMHO most of the best performances for each contestant were all in February/early March. What do you guys think? What was each contestant's best performance in your opinion? And maybe a subject for another thread, but which group had more talent?

Here's mine for this season:

Clay - "Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me" - 3/4/03

I was first impressed with him after he sang in the wild card round, and he hasn't quite gotten better than that for me.

Josh - "I'll Be" - 2/25/03

Josh hasn't gotten any better than his qualifying round to me. He got close with "Amazed" but some of his other songs have been painful to hear.

Kim Locke - "New York State Of Mind" - 4/15/03

She's actually one of the few that I think has improved with time. She keeps stepping up her game.

Ruben - "Baby I Need Your Lovin'" - 3/11/03

I enjoy his performances every week, but I can't say that he's done anything spectacular. I think Motown was his best week.

Trenyce - "Let's Stay Together" - 3/4/03

Like Clay, she picked up the pace for the Wild Card round. I haven't seen anything mouth dropping since then. Not really anything even close, sadly. After the Wild Card round, I expected so much more.

Carmen - "Hopelessly Devoted To You" - 3/18/03

This was a hard pick. I didn't want to get sh!t because I actually liked "Turn the Beat Around" so I picked this one. She really DID have some bad weeks in there--but also some which were almost palatable.

Kim Caldwell - "Come To My Window" - 2/4/03

Thanks, Randy, for bringing her back to assault my ears. Well, she did have her benefits--if you turned the remote on mute, she was quite watchable. More watchable than Clay or Ruben--that's for darn sure. She knew how to perform--wish she knew how to sing. I don't think she got better than when America didn't want her in the first place. Sorry, Kim fans, my opinion.

Rickey - "It Might Be You" - 3/18/03

OK, so picking the most enjoyable Rickey Smith song was akin to picking the most enjoyable dentist visit. I wasn't going to pick any, but since it was my post, I decided not to cop out and pick something for everybody. I hope everyone else will too, but after making this selection, I understand. Rickey just wasn't at all to my taste. I will never like the sound of his voice singing. Maybe he should go on Star Search in the comedy category.

Corey - "Drift Away" - 3/25/03

Too bad I didn't get to hear his rendition of "Ironic." I think it's awfully funny that by the time he finally gets a song that he can sing (although it was not the right genre and his outfit was awful!) he is DQ. Oh, poetic justice.

Julia - "Son Of A Preacher Man" - 2/4/03

Was the same girl who sang "Son Of A Preacher Man" actually there the rest of the competition? Did she let the competition freak her out? I can't figure her performances out.

Charles - "Overjoyed" - 2/4/03

I really liked him the first time I heard him. His last performance - "You Can't Win" may have been a personally inspriational song, but it did nothing for me.

Vanessa - "Out Here On My Own" - 2/18/03

Such potential. Such potential. I really enjoyed her qualifying song. Mediocrity in the initial round is unacceptable. She didn't do bad enough or good enough to cause her apathetic fans to vote.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Performances to Choose from: tig_ger 04-28-03 1
   RE: Performances to Choose from: Lisapooh 04-28-03 2
   RE: Performances to Choose from: ejm92 04-28-03 6
   RE: Performances to Choose from: PhoenixMons 04-29-03 7
   RE: Performances to Choose from: Spidey 04-29-03 9
 RE: Favorite AI Performances So Far... managerr 04-28-03 3
   RE: Favorite AI Performances So Far... tig_ger 04-28-03 4
 RE: Favorite AI Performances So Far... cyclehausen 04-28-03 5
 This is good !!!!! katem 04-29-03 8

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

04-28-03, 05:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tig_ger Click to send private message to tig_ger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Performances to Choose from:"
LAST EDITED ON 04-29-03 AT 06:46 PM (EST)

Clay
• "Open Arms" - 2/11/03
• "Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me" - 3/4/03
• "I Can't Help Myself" - 3/11/03
• "Somewhere Out There" - 3/18/03
• "Someone Else's Star" - 3/25/03
• "Everlasting Love" - 4/1/03
• "At This Moment" - 4/8/03
• "Tell Her About It" - 4/15/03
• "I Could Not Ask For More" - 4/22/03

Josh
• "I'll Be" - 2/25/03
• "Baby I Need Your Lovin'" - 3/11/03
• "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" - 3/18/03
• "Ain't Goin' Down 'Til The Sun Comes Up" - 3/25/03
• "Celebration" - 4/1/03
• "Amazed" - 4/8/03
• "Piano Man" - 4/15/03
• "That's When I'll Stop Loving You" - 4/22/03

Kim Locke
• "Over The Rainbow" - 2/11/03
• "Heat Wave" - 3/11/03
• "Home" - 3/18/03
• "I Can't Make You Love Me" - 3/25/03
• "It's Raining Men" - 4/1/03
• "My Heart Will Go On" - 4/8/03
• "New York State Of Mind" - 4/15/03
• "If You Asked Me To" - 4/22/03

Ruben
• "Superstar" - 2/11/03
• "Baby I Need Your Lovin'" - 3/11/03
• "A Whole New World" - 3/18/03
• "Sweet Home Alabama" - 3/25/03
• "Can't Get Enough Of Your Love" - 4/1/03
• "Kiss and Say Goodbye" - 4/8/03
• "Just The Way You Are" - 4/15/03
• "Music Of My Heart" - 4/22/03

Trenyce
• "Love Sneakin' Up On You" - 2/4/03
• "Let's Stay Together" - 3/4/03
• "Come See About Me" - 3/11/03
• "I Have Nothing" - 3/18/03
• "I Need You" - 3/25/03
• "I'm Every Woman" - 4/1/03
• "The Power Of Love" - 4/8/03
• "Baby Grand" - 4/15/03
• "Have You Ever?" - 4/22/03

Carmen
• "Can't Fight the Moonlight" - 3/4/03
• "You Can't Hurry Love" - 3/11/03
• "Hopelessly Devoted To You" - 3/18/03
• "Wild Angels" - 3/25/03
• "Turn The Beat Around" - 4/1/03
• "Call Me" - 4/8/03
• "And So It Goes" - 4/15/03
• "Love Will Lead You Back" - 4/22/03

Kim Caldwell
• "Come To My Window" - 2/4/03
• "I Feel the Earth Move" - 3/4/03
• "Nowhere To Run" - 3/11/03
• "Shoop Shoop Song" - 3/18/03
• "Anymore" - 3/25/03
• "Knock On Wood" - 4/1/03
• "(Everything I Do) I Do It For You" - 4/8/03
• "It's Still Rock 'n' Roll To Me" - 4/15/03

Rickey
• "One Last Cry" - 2/18/03
• "ABC" - 3/11/03
• "It Might Be You" - 3/18/03
• "I've Done Enough Dyin' Today" - 3/25/03
• "Let's Groove" - 4/1/03
• "Endless Love" - 4/8/03

Corey
• "Foolish Heart" - 2/25/03
• "This Old Heart Of Mine" - 3/11/03
• "Against All Odds" - 3/18/03
• "Drift Away" - 3/25/03

Julia
• "Son Of A Preacher Man" - 2/4/03
• "Where Did Our Love Go?" - 3/11/03
• "Flashdance! (What A Feeling)" - 3/18/03
• "Breathe" - 3/25/03

Charles
• "Overjoyed" - 2/4/03
• "How Sweet It Is" - 3/11/03
• "You Can't Win" - 3/18/03

Vanessa
• "Out Here On My Own" - 2/18/03
• "You Keep Me Hanging On" - 3/11/03

Edited to fix the title of Charles song

Lisapooh 12664 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-28-03, 05:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lisapooh Click to send private message to Lisapooh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Performances to Choose from:"
Good idea tig_ger!

>Clay
"Don't Let the Sun Go
>Down On Me" - 3/4/03
One of my fav. songs done really well.

>Josh
• "Celebration" - 4/1/03
This was so jaw-droppingly bad that it cracked me up. Inadvertant laughter - the only thing that's come close to enjoyment out of a Josh performance thus far.

>Kim Locke
>• "I Can't Make You Love
>Me" - 3/25/03
NY State of Mind is a close second, but she was perfect on this song.

>Ruben
>• "Sweet Home Alabama" - 3/25/03
Well, it's peppy and Ruben got to sway back and forth a bit. yeah, yeah I know - not appropriate for him to sing. yadda yadda yadda. But somehow I don't think Ruben is aware of the whole Van Zandt and Neil Young bru-ha-ha

>Trenyce
• "Let's Stay Together" - 3/4/03
One of the few times Trenyce has managed to get through a song without tapping her forehead with those acrylic nails whenever the lyrics say "think".

>Carmen
By far her best performance.

>Kim Caldwell
• "(Everything I Do) I Do
>It For You" - 4/8/03
Like everything Kim C. did, this sucked. But at least there was no kicking, pointing and/or gratuitous belly button baring in this performance. That makes it delightful.

>Rickey
• "Let's Groove" - 4/1/03
Am I the only one who enjoyed the humongous Afro?

>Corey
This was a great performance. I don't know what the hell happened after that.

>Julia
• "Son Of A Preacher Man"
Another one of my all-time favorite songs. She was so good on this.

>Charles
• "Overjoyed" - 2/4/03
He was understated and adorable here.

>Vanessa
When I heard her sing this I thought she was gonna kick some booty in the competition. One of the best performances of the season.

ejm92 2221 desperate attention whore postings

04-28-03, 08:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ejm92 Click to send private message to ejm92 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Performances to Choose from:"
Okay, I'll see if I can sift through and find my favorite....I'm not going by the best, but I'm choosing my personal most memorable and my favorite........

Clay: "Somewhere Out There" was my favorite....I also liked "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me", it was technically his best, but SOT has to be my favorite because it's a little more my style of pop song.

Josh: "I'll Be" is pretty much the best....closely followed by "Amazed" and "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing", though, those were really the only weeks where he sounded remotely good.

Kim Locke: "NY State Of Mind" has to be her best, probably because I liked the song before anyways...there are only a few performances I didn't like, most were really good and followed that one closely.

Ruben: "Kiss and Say Goodbye" was probably the best..."A Whole New World" was also very good, and most of Ruben's performances have been great.

Trenyce: I liked "Come See About Me" the best...her original "Love Sneakin' Up On You" was another favorite, but probably her Motown was the best performance, even Simon was impressed.

Carmen: Wow...hard to sift through those and find a good one...in retrospect, probably "You Can't Hurry Love", although I really badgered her during the show...listening back, it really wasn't horrible..."Turn The Beat Around" is probably the only other good one for me, but I didn't like the song so much.

Kim Caldwell: There were a lot of equally good Kim C. performances, but "Anymore" was probably her best vocally. "Come to my Window", "Knock On Wood", and "Nowhere to Run" were also pretty good performances, but she still seemed lazy on most of them and didn't perform up to her full potential.

Rickey: He had so many unmemorable performances that I'll have to go with his signature song, "One Last Cry".

Corey: Most of his are pretty equal, but I guess I'll go with "This Old Heart Of Mine", simply because it was the most memorable and catchy song he sang. "Drift Away" and "Foolish Heart" were also alright.

Julia: Going back and listening to her performances, I just liked "Where Did Our Love Go?" the best...maybe it was Motown, but most of the songs from that week were good songs and that's why I liked the performances best.

Charles: Definately "Overjoyed"....he went downhill from there.

Vanessa: "Out Here On My Own" was best....

And after naming all of those, I've went back and listened to some of the better ones, and here is my top ten of the best (m list, not yours ) overall performances of the series so far....

1. "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" - Clay Aiken
2. "New York State Of Mind" - Kim Locke
3. "Kiss And Say Goodbye" - Ruben Studdard
4. "Superstar" - Ruben Studdard
5. "Somewhere Out There" - Clay Aiken
6. "I'll Be" - Joshua Gracin
7. "A Whole New World" - Ruben Studdard
8. "Baby I Need Your Lovin'" - Ruben Studdard
9. "Come See About Me" - Trenyce
10. "Open Arms" - Clay Aiken

Survior 5 Anti-Bootee Champ, Survivor 6 Anti-Bootee Chump

PhoenixMons 4696 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

04-29-03, 03:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PhoenixMons Click to send private message to PhoenixMons Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Performances to Choose from:"
LAST EDITED ON 04-29-03 AT 03:59 AM (EST)

Clay: Open Arms. I loved his first performance and think he still has yet to top it! It was the perfect song for him as he sounded 'right' singing all those words with the enunciation he uses (most songs sound weird when he sings them, if you KWIM).

Josh: I'll Be. I think. I actually liked him the first time I saw/heard him (audition piece I believe). I liked him much better before Simon told him to choose between country and pop. After that everything he did sucked big time. I think his country is pretty wretched and can't seem to figure out why now he sings al his pop songs in a country manner since he definitely didn't sing like that in the beginning. Weird. But his audition piece was easily my favorite, whatever that was.

Kim L.: I Can't Make you Love Me. Beautiful! She was my favorite from DAY ONE (when we heard her sing with Frenchie) and I am so thrilled that she's doing so well! She has such a gorgeous, crisp voice that you just don't find every day. Lovely!

Ruben: tough choice because he sounds great almost every week. I'll go with Kiss and Say Goodbye, but I really can't remember if that's my favorite (I love the song) of his performances. There was one I really liked in the beginning, but I don't remember which one it was...probably Superstar.

Trenyce: Let's Stay Together - loved her wildcard performance I didn't like her before then at all, but that night I was like "whoa, that was good - she can relaly sing"!

Carmen: do I HAVE to??? Okay I suppose her performance of Hopelessly Devoted was my favorite, only because it wsort of fit her and all of her other choices were diastrous.

Kim C: I can't recall but I liked her during hte audition process and then not at all once the wold card came around. So I'll go with I Feel the Earth Move because it seems like it'd be a good song for her, but I'm probably wrong because I just don't remember her decent performances at all.

Rickey: I still don't understand why so many people detest him. He has a gorgeous quality to his voice and he is a nice guy...what's not to like? Oh he must be this year's unfortunate choice for the Ejay Day award (great voice, great personality, face that America just can't love). Sad. He has a lot of talent and he was one of my favorites. Anyway, I loved his One Last Cry. Beautiful falsetto/upper range.

Corey: another that I enjoyed. Had a lot of potential, just needed some serious training and what a great voice he'd have! Anyway, I loved his Foolish Heart performance. That was by far his best, IMO. But he always picked perfect songs for his voice.

Julia: Breathe. Ironically, her best performance was her last. She sucked bug time and I NEVER liked her one bit. I thought for sure she as going to get by on the sympathy vote with that whole Kim C. drama crap. I sure am glad America cleaned out its ears and actually listened to her horrible performances to give her the boot. Breathe was by FAR her best and that's not saying much.

Charles: Overjoyed. Nice performance and love the song (I love Stevie). He did well with that song but picked bad songs (for his voice) the next two weeks.

Vanessa: too far back to remember, really. But I don't think I liked Keep Me Hanging On so I guess I'll go with Out Here On My Own. Too bad she got first boot - I'd have liked to see more of her. Julia and Carmen were SO lucky that week!

Spidey 6259 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-29-03, 09:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Spidey Click to send private message to Spidey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Performances to Choose from:"
LAST EDITED ON 04-29-03 AT 09:05 PM (EST)

Tig_ger, you rule! Without the song list I would be helpless.

Clay
• "Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me" - 3/4/03.
Or tonight's 1st song, which was amazing (and I've already forgotten the title.)

Josh
• "I'll Be" - 2/25/03
• "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" - 3/18/03

Neither made me scream for him to stop.

Kim Locke

This is where I actually started to like her.

Ruben
• "Sweet Home Alabama" - 3/25/03

Different than the rest of his "work" and the irony factor is certainly memorable.

Trenyce
• "Love Sneakin' Up On You" - 2/4/03
• "Come See About Me" - >3/11/03

I actually like most of her performances, and tonight she blew the roof off! Esp. Proud Mary

Carmen
• "Wild Angels" - 3/25/03

She was almost not out of her league with these 2 performances

>Kim Caldwell

Does the clip of Superstition from the auditions count? If not,

Rickey

Since you made me pick.

Corey
• "Drift Away" - 3/25/03

I love the song and he didn't butcher it. 'nuff said.

Julia
• "Son Of A Preacher Man" - 2/4/03

Before she was abducted and replaced with the deer in the headlights, er, spotlight.

Charles
• "Overjoyed" - 2/4/03

I really liked him in the round of 32, and so did America (he got the top spot his week), but it must have been an abberation, or his best song, because he voice just wasn't very strong.

Vanessa

Eh.

*Edited to fix one of, I am sure, several typos.

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

04-28-03, 05:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail managerr Click to send private message to managerr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Favorite AI Performances So Far This Season"
I'll have to re-listen to some performances for a couple of contestants, but just wanted to comment that Charles's song was "You CAN'T Win". Not "You Can Win". It was strangely ironic for him to be singing that as he got booted.

04-28-03, 06:29 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Favorite AI Performances So Far This Season"
I'll have to re-listen to some performances for a couple of contestants, but just wanted to comment that Charles's song was "You CAN'T Win". Not "You Can Win". It was strangely ironic for him to be singing that as he got booted.

(*giggles*) OK, so much for trying to be accurate. I thought the title was "You Can't Win" also, but THEN I went on the idolonfox.com website to verify a few dates and titles I couldn't remember. They have it wrong there, and I actually believed them and changed it before I posted. It's no excuse. I am so ashamed that I used Fox as a source for anything.

(*hopes that the other song titles plagerized from Fox website ARE correct*)

cyclehausen 1197 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-28-03, 08:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cyclehausen Click to send private message to cyclehausen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Favorite AI Performances So Far This Season"
In order from best to worst (one per contestant)...

1. Kimmel - "New York State Of Mind" - I still listen to the MP3 with my jaw dropped.

2. Clay - "DLTSGDOM" - Elton John must have wet himself with at least 3 different fluids when he heard this one ;)

3. Kim C - "I Feel The Earht Move" - her only knock-out performance, and it was a doozy.

4. Trenyce - "Let's Stay Together" - something was really on about this performance.

5. Rickey - "I've Done Enough Dyin' Today" - Technical magic and wondrous seduction

6. Ruben - "A Whole New World" - his best.

7. Charles - "Overjoyed" - it was very nice.

8. Caren - "Hopelesly Devoted" - I dug it more than anything else she did.
-------------
and the best of the worst....
-------------

9. Vanessa - "Out Here On My Own" - she was very meh.

10. Corey - "Foolish Heart" - Yu made nice use of your beautiful upper register. His least painful performance.

11. Josh - "Celebration" - HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Holy crap that sucked!!!

12. Julia - every performance was wretched. Without her WonderBra, she was nothing. They were all so awful. Every single one. Barf.

katem 3315 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-29-03, 06:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail katem Click to send private message to katem Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "This is good !!!!!"
Here we go:

Clay
• "Open Arms" - 2/11/03
• "Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me" - 3/4/03

Easily his best.

Josh
• "I'll Be" - 2/25/03

All down hill from here.

Kim Locke
• "It's Raining Men" - 4/1/03
• "My Heart Will Go On" - 4/8/03
• "If You Asked Me To" - 4/22/03

Has not missed a beat since 4/1/03.

Ruben
• "Superstar" - 2/11/03

He has bored me ever since.

Trenyce

• "I Have Nothing" - 3/18/03

She does well when she sings Whitney. Mixed reviews when she does not.

Carmen
She has been awful from beginning to end.

Kim Caldwell
• "It's Still Rock 'n' Roll To Me" - 4/15/03

Nothing to add.

Rickey

He was terrible, except for this one.

Corey
• "Drift Away" - 3/25/03

These were his only two good performances.

Julia

She was good in the first and second rounds, but from the semis on out she was not very good.

Charles
I never liked him.

Vanessa
• "You Keep Me Hanging On" - 3/11/03

Both were good and she deserved better than what happened to her.

(c) 2002, 03 IceCat Originals, Inc. All rights reserved.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •