The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Paying through the nose on the Web"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Big Brother Bashers Forum (Protected)
Original message

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-28-01, 07:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Paying through the nose on the Web"
Well, CBS was thrilled with the fact that the Webcasts of BB2 turned a profit. Guess what may be next? Yep, the network's cash cow: Survivor, at least according to Zap2It.com. Here's the article:

'BB2' Webcasts Turn Tidy Profit for CBS
Fri, Sep 28, 2001 12:12 PM PDT

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - CBS is so happy with the money it made from live webcasts of the goings-on in the "Big Brother 2" house, it's looking for other ways to charge for online content.

About 56,000 people paid up to $19.95 to see Will, Krista, Mike Boogie and the rest of the "BB2" crew do whatever it was they did when the show wasn't on the air. Those numbers "far exceeded our expectations," David Katz, CBS' vice president for interactive ventures, tells Variety. "This thing was highly profitable."

While the revenue generated from the webcasts was not that great -- less than $1 million -- CBS is excited to learn that people will, in fact, pay for online content.

"Through this experiment, we've seen there clearly is value in using our content on a subscription basis," Katz says. "This is just the beginning."

That can't be good news for those who protested having to pay to watch the "Big Brother 2" web streams, which were free during the show's first go-round. Katz says there was no way CBS could subsidize the cost of the webcasts.

As for what might be next on the network's online horizon, Katz would only say that "There are a lot of opportunities." But it seems obvious that "Survivor," with its huge web presence and rabid fan base, would also be a good fit for web pay-per-view.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Paying through the nose on the ... Kokoro 09-29-01 1
 RE: Paying through the nose on the ... Loree 09-30-01 2
 RE: Paying through the nose on the ... Rebel Crown 05-31-02 3
   RE: Paying through the nose on the ... BMH 06-11-02 4
       RE: Paying through the nose on the ... Kokoro 06-11-02 5
           RE: Paying through the nose on the ... JeffGator 06-12-02 6
               RE: Paying through the nose on the ... Kokoro 06-26-02 7

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Kokoro 3899 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

09-29-01, 02:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Kokoro Click to send private message to Kokoro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Paying through the nose on the Web"
Damnit! What happened to the unified fan front ~against~ the paid subscriptions?! Traitors! All of them! (heh sorry Kis ;)
----------------------------------------
"I don't like spiders, okay? Their furry bodies, and their sticky webs, and what do they need all those legs for anyway? I'll tell you: for crawling across your face in the middle of the night!"

- Willow (BTVS)

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-30-01, 11:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Paying through the nose on the Web"
How could Survivor do live web feeds when the show is taped months in advance?

Rebel Crown 1413 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

05-31-02, 06:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Rebel%20Crown Click to send private message to Rebel%20Crown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Paying through the nose on the Web"
Does anyone plan on buying the package this year? I followed BB1 religiously on the web, but didn't want to pay for the 2nd season. I know of a few sites which follows the hamsters minute by minute - Joker's was one of the best.

I'd like to know if anyone from this site will be our "watchdog" this season.

BMH 845 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

06-11-02, 09:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail BMH Click to send private message to BMH Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Paying through the nose on the Web"
i bought it last year..and it was awesome..i kno it'z alot of money..but if this season is as good as the last then i personally think it'z worth the price for a whole summer!..but there are definitely alot of places that scrutinize the live feedz and post every 5 minutes or so

06-11-02, 10:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Kokoro Click to send private message to Kokoro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Paying through the nose on the Web"
Actually, IIRC, last season it was only 9.99 (for the first 3 months) for the Goldpass. If you sign up through the BB site it's 19.99 or so, but if you just go for the general package it comes with it anyway.

-----------------------------------
Now let us never speak of S3 again.

JeffGator 1401 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

06-12-02, 02:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail JeffGator Click to send private message to JeffGator Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Paying through the nose on the Web"
Kokoro--Where do you sign up for the general package? Is that at the real player official website? So all you have to do is sign up for the package, you get the "goldpass" that enables ou to watch big brother for 3 months?

06-26-02, 06:14 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Paying through the nose on the Web"
Yes it's through the main GoldPass page or through another service (Webby and Kis used a baseball package to sign up last year). Doesn't really matter this year though, as CBS has decided to lower the price ;)

-----------------------------------
Now let us never speak of S3 again.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •