The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Shaba confirmed and other interesting info"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

beagee 4 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

06-25-01, 10:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail beagee Click to send private message to beagee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Shaba confirmed and other interesting info"
This was posted on EZ, but I thought I'd post it here to hopefully get the spoliers discussion hoppin'.

From the East African Standard 6/25/01: http://www.eastandard.net/provincial/eastern.htm

Shaba reserve is cleared for movie
By Shukri Ahmed and Ali Abdi

A LARGE section of vegetation cover at Shaba National Reserve has been destroyed to pave way for the shooting of a movie by an American firm.

Journalists and officials of a local NGO on Saturday established that an area covering 20 sq km had been cleared to prepare the scene for the shooting of the movie.

A vast area located about 10 km west of Sarova Shaba Lodge had been cleared and more than 1,000 tents and other timber structures erected.

Dozens of heavy commercial trucks and landrovers were busy supplying provisions and other operations in the reserve. Numerous casual workers were clearing trees and shrubs at areas bordering the Natorbi gate.

At the headquarters of the company, heavy tractors could be seen ploughing the ground.

The environment was very noisy from the many giant generators used by the movie company.

The Waso Trust Land project co-ordinator, Mr Hassan Guyo Shano, said the presence of more than 200 workers and the machinery had destroyed the environment and scared away wild animals.

He said the shooting of another movie ‘To walk with lions’ in 1999 had also destroyed the environment and scared away wild animals.

He accused Isiolo County Council of having been duped to enter into an agreement with the movie company without being compensated for environmental degradation.

The American firm will start shooting the movie, ‘Survival Series Three’ from July 1.

The council chairman, Mr Hussein Ali Abduba, however said the council would be paid Sh18 million for allowing the shooting.

Shano said the amount is too little considering the impact on Shaba as a tourist destination.

Abduba said scene preparations started mid last month and the actual shooting will continue until the end of September.

Provincial news | Home

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Shaba confirmed and other inter... Ronnet 06-26-01 1
   Kiswahili AyaK 06-27-01 2
   RE: Shaba confirmed and other inter... shanana banana 08-02-01 4
       RE: Shaba confirmed and other inter... MakeItStop 08-03-01 5
       RE: Shaba confirmed and other inter... bondt007 08-03-01 6
 Contradiction?? Krautboy 07-09-01 3
 More Location Info sleeeve 08-05-01 7
   RE: More Location Info mavsfan 08-05-01 8
       RE: More Location Info sleeeve 08-05-01 9

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Ronnet 1734 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

06-26-01, 05:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ronnet Click to send private message to Ronnet Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Shaba confirmed and other interesting info"
http://www.newsday.com/ap/text/entertainment/ap593.htm

AP Entertainment
Reserve Is New Site of 'Survivor'

by CHRIS TOMLINSON
Associated Press Writer

SHABA GAME RESERVE, Kenya (AP) -- The park ranger turns tourists away at a roadblock, a front loader pours gravel into a dump truck and a generator whirs in the distance.

All are giveaways that this reserve -- where the movie ''Born Free'' was filmed a generation ago -- is being readied for the third edition of CBS' blockbuster series, ''Survivor.''

CBS confirmed the location Tuesday. Two-thirds of the semi-arid reserve, 140 miles north of Nairobi, has been closed to everyone but a production crew and the giraffe, zebras and warthogs that wander through.

When told that ''Survivor'' is a game show in which 16 contestants try to outlast each other in the wilderness to win $1 million, the reserve's senior game warden, Abdi Boru, looked puzzled and asked, ''Really?''

Boru said he had been told only that a film crew called Mwandiga, Swahili for ''to leave one behind,'' had leased the park.

In the show's first two editions, staged on a South Pacific island and in the Australian Outback, the network managed to keep the set off-limits to the public and the game's outcome secret until the show aired several months after filming.

Kenyans involved in the latest ''Survivor,'' to air in the fall, said they signed confidentiality agreements. But word of mouth around here, called the ''bush telegraph,'' has it that crew members soon will be flown in from California and Australia to begin filming.

Some Nairobi residents said they were asked to take part in a test run at the Shaba location before the 16 contestants arrive. Some of the Kenyans said they were chosen for their appearance (young, fit and white).

In past ''Survivor'' shows, producers have said, they used body doubles for filler shots.

In this case, the extras are being used to test the immunity and reward challenges that producers are preparing, said CBS spokesman Chris Ender. They will not be involved in filming the series.

The reserve is owned and operated by Isiolo County. It earns the county about $615,000 a year, which pays for schools, hospitals and other programs, said County Clerk Adnan Racho.

Racho said he signed a confidentiality agreement and could not say how much the county was paid for the four-month lease. ''They are very concerned about secrecy,'' he said.

The Daily Nation newspaper, citing an environmental group Waso Trust Land Project, said the county's lease agreement was for $192,000. Ender would not comment on how much was paid for use of the park.

For locals chosen to help out, ''Survivor'' will mean some much-needed cash. Kenya's economy shrank by 0.3 percent last year, and May saw the lowest number of tourists in the East African nation since it started keeping track nearly four decades ago.

The average rural Kenyan lives in a mud hut and makes less than a dollar a day.

James Gituanja, manager of the luxury Sarova Shaba Lodge on the reserve, said he was approached to rent out his hotel by the ''Survivor'' crew. He declined, wanting to serve regular customers, but some crew members eat there and his staff has helped set up tents for them. Gituanja said he was already counting the tourists the show will generate.

''We expect that 'Survivor' will have a very big impact because it reaches 40 million people,'' he said. ''We are very hopeful, if it shows the park in a positive way.''

The production has concerned some environmentalists, however. Workers on the reserve, who have seen the set, said two buildings and a temporary swimming pool have been built.

Representatives of Waso Trust Land Project and several Kenyan journalists were detained Monday after they entered the cordoned area. The group met with ''Survivor'' producers on Tuesday to discuss their concerns, said Amos Marenya, an editor at The East African Standard newspaper.

Executive producer Mark Burnett has always been committed to working with respect for the environment, Ender said.

''Mark has learned through trial and error how to return the land to the same condition, and in some cases better condition, than it was when he started,'' he said.

The Sarova Shaba Lodge overlooks the Ewaso Ng'iro river, where crocodiles slither into the water at sunset. The show's producers have said the contestants will build and live in traditional mud-and-dung huts like those of the Samburu people.

They'll spend their days covered in beige dust like everything else, and walk alongside reticulated giraffes and Grevy's zebras, an endangered species. And they'll have to hope the crew keeps the leopards and lions out of their camps at night.

Millions of people, particularly the nomadic Samburu, live like that every day in Kenya.

''Survivor'' has never aired on Kenyan TV.

^------<

On the Net:

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-27-01, 11:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "Kiswahili"
LAST EDITED ON 06-27-01 AT 11:54 AM (EST)

In case we doubted whether MB was going to use Kiswahili names for S3:

>Boru said he had been told only that a film crew called >Mwandiga, Swahili for "to leave one behind," had leased the
>park.

Thanks, Beagee!

shanana banana 658 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

08-02-01, 05:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shanana%20banana Click to send private message to shanana%20banana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Shaba confirmed and other interesting info"
>>>>> The show's producers have said the contestants will build
and live in traditional mud-and-dung huts like those of the
Samburu people. They'll spend their days covered in beige dust like everything else, and walk alongside reticulated giraffes
and Grevy's zebras, an endangered species. And they'll have to
hope the crew keeps the leopards and lions out of their camps at night.
---------------------------------------
I find this to be very interesting. I was wondering how this new group was going to sleep at night --- because there is no way in hell they would be able to sleep out in the open the way they did in Survivor I and II in an African game park. I've been on two camping safaris in Kenya and Tanzania, and there's one thing that is made abundantly clear: DO NOT step foot out of your tent at night unless you want to possibly become somebody's dinner.

Dangerous animals do wander into your campsite at night -- we awoke several times during the night to Cape buffalo crashing around in the underbrush right beside the tent, the sounds of sniffing and/or grunting in the close proximity, and various other wild animal noises that are exciting to hear during the day but are pretty scary in pitch blackness right outside your sleeping quarters at night. Even if you sleep through the commotion, you'll know they were in the area when you wake up to pawprints around the campsite.

I was quite surprised to hear they were actually going to film this in one of the game parks when I first heard of the location. I have a feeling there's going to be a lot more activity going on by the camp crew during the night for this season of Survivor as far as having armed guards patrolling the immediate area. The contestants are just not going to be able to have the same night freedoms they had in the previous two seasons.

shanana banana

MakeItStop 1098 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

08-03-01, 11:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail MakeItStop Click to send private message to MakeItStop Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Shaba confirmed and other interesting info"
I find this to be very interesting. I was wondering how this new group was going to sleep at night --- because there is no way in hell they would be able to sleep out in the open the way they did in Survivor I and II in an African game park. I've been on two camping safaris in Kenya and Tanzania, and there's one thing that is made abundantly clear: DO NOT step foot out of your tent at night unless you want to possibly become somebody's dinner.

That's going to make it very hard to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

bondt007 3413 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

08-03-01, 02:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bondt007 Click to send private message to bondt007 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Shaba confirmed and other interesting info"
Hey banana... good information. Question (I don't know if this is important or not): Would you say that they (the contestants) will be more sleep-deprived than on SI and SII? It might be interesting to note during the first couple of shows who is less "impressed" with their surroundings (i.e. wild, hungery animals) and therefore getting more rest, important for mental and physical strength, for IC's, forming alliances, etc.
Maybe not a spoiler, but just something to watch for, perhaps?

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

07-09-01, 03:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Contradiction??"
LAST EDITED ON 07-09-01 AT 03:32 PM (EST)

The following article from USA Today states that the location for S3 is south of the Equator...

"Although a river runs alongside the reserve, the location — just below the equator — promises to make it both dry and hot, a contrast to the heavy rains that buffeted Pulau Tiga and Australia. The site will make climate the harshest factor, and Burnett has said the castaways will subsist much like the native Maasai tribe."

...yet the Shaba Reserve is located north of the Equator...(see Dan Bollinger's map...

http://www.claycritters.com/map/survivor_3_map.htm

Does this mean that the actual location is one of the reserves south of the Equator like Maasai Mara (Mara River)or Amboseli Chyulu Hills (Athi River), which fit the quote "...a river runs alongside..."?

Latest USA Today article
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Monday 9 July USA Today:

'Survivor 3' sets off on African safari

By Gary Levin, USA TODAY

As Survivor 3 begins production in Kenya this week, questions linger from the hit series' trips to Borneo and Australia.

• How will producers escape the tedium of the last two-hour Survivor finale, which stretched out the fate of Keith, Colby and champ Tina? By reducing time spent in Africa to 39 days, from 42 in Australia, so that four contestants remain in the 13th and final episode.

• Will charges that Survivor rigged contests or staged scenes affect viewers' devotion to TV's top series? Hard to tell, though it didn't hurt Survivor 2. Still, for the first time a CBS program practices executive will monitor the entire production, to provide the network with a safety blanket.

"It's an extra person to be there to say to, 'We're about to do this; any thoughts?' " says producer Mark Burnett.

• But will he back off from playing tricks to heighten drama, like using stand-ins for the castaways in aerial shots to avoid showing camera crews on the ground? No. "I'm not changing anything; the show works," he says.

Filming begins this week at the Shaba National Game Reserve, about 140 miles north of Nairobi, and will run through mid-August. Already spoilers are awaiting clues about the show, to premiere in October and run on Thursdays at 8 p.m. ET/PT. (Survivor 4 follows in March.)

CBS has encircled the reserve with tight security, and the Kenyan government, unlike officials in Australia, has agreed to designate the site a no-fly zone to prevent prying helicopters from buzzing overhead.

As in Survivor 2, the winner won't be revealed until a live segment of the final episode airs in December.

The biggest changes, of course, will be the setting and the contestants. The chosen 16 are likely to fall between Pulau Tiga's mostly regular-folks looks and Australia's more model-pretty makeup, and some hail from states not represented in previous Survivor casts.

"Some are really cute and some are really ordinary people," Burnett says

The difficulty in casting is figuring out which auditions are mere performances. "People behave very differently when they're suffering than when they're in the casting room."

As for the setting, don't look for tigers, despite a Survivor logo designed for CBS' Web site. There aren't any on the continent. But expect to see lions, leopards, gazelles, zebras, giraffes, elephants and wildebeests.

"This is not a jungle. This is classic Africa, with the savanna, incredible cliffs and typical acacia trees with the flat tops," says Burnett. The setting also was used in the 1985 film Out of Africa and 1966's Born Free.

Although a river runs alongside the reserve, the location — just below the equator — promises to make it both dry and hot, a contrast to the heavy rains that buffeted Pulau Tiga and Australia. The site will make climate the harshest factor, and Burnett has said the castaways will subsist much like the native Maasai tribe.

CBS is mum on details of the Tribal Council, where contestants are voted off every three days, but local sources have speculated that rock outcroppings, called kopjes, provide an ideal home for the nighttime ritual.

Environmental groups protested at the new Survivor site, citing concerns that the TV production crew of more than 300 would harm the land. But Burnett says his company has improved existing roads to minimize dust and pollution, will import sewage treatment equipment and recycle water.

sleeeve 3456 desperate attention whore postings

08-05-01, 05:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sleeeve Click to send private message to sleeeve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "More Location Info"
LAST EDITED ON 08-05-01 AT 05:03 PM (EST)

Dan Bollinger of "Survivor Maps" reports "The location for the Survivor:Africa Production Camp was confirmed this morning by sources wishing to remain anonymous."

The Production Camp and the location of the tribal council site are now pinpointed on his website, at this address:
http://www.claycritters.com/map/survivormaps.htm

EDIT: I added this to the resource directory for future reference.

You never know what might be up my sleeeve...

mavsfan 693 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

08-05-01, 05:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mavsfan Click to send private message to mavsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: More Location Info"
Thanks for adding the map, when I first saw it I thought it might show the names and locations of the SIII camps ie. the Acacia Camp and the Dakadima Camp but an email to the Dan Bollinger site dispelled such thoughts. Here's an excerpt of the respose I got.

Q: >Are the sites marked Acacia camp and Dakadima camp the >names/locations of the SIII tribes, or are they unrelated to >SIII completely? ie. Just camps where the tourist go while
> on safari's?

A: Yes, just campsites with electric fencing for regular campers.

Q: >Without giving away any "trade secrets", how did you ferret >out this great info? I figured it would be guarded better >than Fort Knox.

A: Most of it comes from sending emails to every Kenyan email address I could find! thanks, Dan

sleeeve 3456 desperate attention whore postings

08-05-01, 07:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sleeeve Click to send private message to sleeeve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: More Location Info"
LAST EDITED ON 08-05-01 AT 07:26 PM (EST)

More info from the site, and some of my analysis:

Security is reportedly tighter that Area 51... there is a strict no-fly zone over the entire area, and security by land and air is military enforced (MB and CBS are paying good money)...

The Acacia camp and Dakadima camp are public camps that are available during the typical tourist season... they are surrounded by electric fences in order to keep out the wildlife. They will not be used for filming. The official Production Camp (where all of the editing trailers, etc. are located) is across the street from Acacia Camp, and the tent city where all crew members sleep is located within the secured Acacia Camp...

The camp is 9 kilometers from the park entrance, to the west, and, since the tribal council is located to the east of the production camp, I am making the assumption that most of the locations used for filming will be located south and east of the camp, since there will be daily traffic between the Natrobe Gate and the Acacia (crew) Camp that MB will not want to affect the survivors. (Damn that was a really long sentence, but I don't feel like editing it down to several shorter ones.)

Most likely, the jury will be staying at Shaba Sarova Lodge, located to the West on the map, as with S2, I would expect the first seven bootees to be sent packing, since MB has made it clear that the jury is to be kept isolated from all cast and crew so that their votes will only be affected by each other, and by their experience in the savannah.

In other news, weather reports reveal moderate temperatures (slightly chilly) and no precipitation for the entire time that the Survivors have spent in the area. Also, area news reports reveal that the survivors are provided with rations of "rice and water" meaning that there will not be an issue of water purification in this series... In fact, it is likely that the cast will not be located near any source of water (unlike S1 and S2) because where there is water, there is bound to be wildlife... and lions, elephants, rhinos, etc. may not take kindly to a group of people separating them from their regular source of water.

And the wildlife is real... in case people haven't heard, Jeff Probst was stung by a scorpion on the set (article can be found in the "Featured News" section of this website).

Below, I have included a miniaturized version of the S3 map, but I strongly recommend that everyone visit Survivor Maps to see the full-size map (which is interactive, and shows photos, panoramic views, and will be updated throughout the run of the show to reveal many sites used for taping).

EDIT: See what happens when you've been out of contact... I jsut realized that Paratrooper has more maps available through http://www.survivorfever.net that reveals speculated locations of the tribal camps, and also the challenge areas... also chown are the areas open to the public... clearly, all of the shooting will happen to the east of the camp, as I had speculated, since the area to the west of the camp is open to the public.

Here's the small version... go to http://www.survivorfever.net for the large version.

It feels good to have something to analyze again...

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •