The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"SSC: And the Blowies go to..."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Story Competitions Forum (Protected)
Original message

AyatollahKhomeini 2008 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

07-21-01, 01:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyatollahKhomeini Click to send private message to AyatollahKhomeini Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"SSC: And the Blowies go to..."
LAST EDITED ON 07-21-01 AT 05:53 PM (EST)

Before I give the results of the voting, I would just like to congratulate everyone who entered the Summer Story Competition. I thought that entering was the real victory -- it's easy to just sit around enjoying the summer, but quite hard to have to focus on producing a work and then publish it before your friends.

I also would like to note that just about everyone who entered a work received at least one vote from someone, as 22 different works and 15 different writers received votes. Six writers had more than one work that received votes, all but one in different categories; two of those writers received two Blowies.

Enough preliminary. Here are the winners of the Blowies in the different categories:

Nonfiction
1st place: PeterTorque, "Undercurrents"
2nd place: samiam, "Untitled"
3rd place: dangerkitty, "Five-Dollar Karma"

Creative Writing
1st place: Lisapooh, "Destiny Moves On, Part 1"
2nd place: Pendragon, "Avrie & Joon"
3rd place (tie): idiotcowboy, "Slipping"
3rd place (tie): Superman, "What About the Kids?"

Poetry
1st place: Drive My Car (EBug), "My Child"
2nd place (tie): samiam, "Sleepwalk"
2nd place (tie): aymelek, "Towed"

Persona Narrative
1st place: idiotcowboy, "The Tale of Uncle Odyseuscowboy"
2nd place: LadyT, "The Bradys Meet SB: The Dance"
3rd place: Monkeyboy, "Dave Swindale"

I also want to present a special judge's award, which I'll call the Salman Rushdie Award(!), to an entry that received votes and was written by an author who did not win a Blowie. This year's Salman Rushdie Award goes to SherpaDave for his Creative Writing entry, "Her Cat."

Once again, thanks to everyone for participating. The stories honored with Blowies were the most popular. But all of you who entered were the winners.

Edited to fix a grammatical error.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: SSC: And the Blowies go to... Ronnet 07-21-01 1
   RE: SSC: And the Blowies go to... desert_rhino 07-21-01 2
       slow dancer babe boomerang 07-21-01 8
           RE: slow dancer babe Monkeyboy 07-21-01 16
               RE: slow dancer babe boomerang 07-22-01 17
 RE: SSC: And the Blowies go to... idiotcowboy 07-21-01 3
 RE: SSC: And the Blowies go to... SherpaDave 07-21-01 4
   In Agreement... PepeLePew13 07-21-01 5
   shakes AyatollahKhomeini 07-21-01 9
 RE: SSC: And the Blowies go to... sleeeve 07-21-01 6
 RE: SSC: And the Blowies go to... aymelek 07-21-01 7
 RE: SSC: And the Blowies go to... Pendragon 07-21-01 10
   RE: SSC: And the Blowies go to... Riordan 07-21-01 12
   RE: SSC: And the Blowies go to... aymelek 07-21-01 13
 RE: SSC: And the Blowies go to... Survivorerist 07-21-01 11
 RE: SSC: And the Blowies go to... VampKira 07-21-01 14
   RE: SSC: And the Blowies go to... Monkeyboy 07-21-01 15
 RE: SSC: And the Blowies go to... ItzLisa 07-22-01 18
 RE: SSC: And the Blowies go to... dabo 07-23-01 19
   RE: SSC: And the Blowies go to... darbygrl 07-23-01 20
 RE: SSC: And the Blowies go to... Survivorchick 07-23-01 21
 Exhibition or competition? PeterTorque 07-23-01 22
   RE: Exhibition or competition? LadyT 07-25-01 23

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Ronnet 1734 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

07-21-01, 01:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ronnet Click to send private message to Ronnet Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: SSC: And the Blowies go to..."
Wow - great selections!

Conga rats to all of you!!

desert_rhino 10087 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-21-01, 02:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail desert_rhino Click to send private message to desert_rhino Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: SSC: And the Blowies go to..."
"agreemsg"

-- JV

(Roni, did you slow down the hyperactive dancer babe, or is my computer getting VERRYYY SLOOOOOOO?)

"What rage for fame attends both great and small!
Better be damned than mentioned not at all." --John Wolcot (1738–1819)

boomerang 556 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

07-21-01, 04:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail boomerang Click to send private message to boomerang Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "slow dancer babe"
I'm sure you're imagining things, JV.

Monkeyboy 1224 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

07-21-01, 11:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Monkeyboy Click to send private message to Monkeyboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: slow dancer babe"
>I'm sure you're imagining things, JV.

BOOMER! I can't believe you did that!!!!
Are you some kind of genius or something?
Were you a child prodigy?
How high is your IQ anyway?

*wishes he could do cool stuff like that*

boomerang 556 desperate attention whore postings

07-22-01, 03:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail boomerang Click to send private message to boomerang Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: slow dancer babe"
Hey, Monkeyboy,

It would be nice if you kept thinking me as a genius, but the alteration I did to the dancer was actually very simple. It was nothing more than changing the frame rate in a program to a higher number. This makes the transition from frame to frame slower, and the whole animation slows down. It took about two minutes, and is as simple as editing text in a word processing program.

The thing I marvel at is people who understand HTML. It's like another language to me. I think the extent of my experience in it is making one word in my post to come out bold.

idiotcowboy 1135 desperate attention whore postings

07-21-01, 02:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail idiotcowboy Click to send private message to idiotcowboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: SSC: And the Blowies go to..."
If I was cleaver like sleeeve I would put a round of applause here for everyone.

I especially want to thank Kismet for bringing this to us, Ayak for moderating it, and Volmel and SherpaDave for the wonderful webpage that put it all together. THANKS!!! <imagine hands clapping all around>

I know for me it was so very hard to pick a single entry in any of the fields. Honestly I think everyone was a winner in this, and I am very humbled that any of my stories was selected... so whoever voted for me Thank You.

Finally I want to list a couple of pieces that touched me, but aren't listed here. SherpaDave your "Agent on a Train" was dark disturbing and wonderful, and being the most prolific enterer it is fitting you get the Salman Rushdie Award. Shakes your poems were disturbing, but the images were so vivid and clear I am truly amazed. Leif the stories about your life were touching and helped everyone see through the on-line persona you sometimes present, thank you for sharing them with us. Monkeyboy, there should be a special catagory for "Pirate Cat" whimsical, yet so very touching!

Thanks everyone, I loved reading them all (except maybe that one with the girl and the window... dave, what were you thinking )

-ICB

SherpaDave 8325 desperate attention whore postings

07-21-01, 03:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SherpaDave Click to send private message to SherpaDave Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: SSC: And the Blowies go to..."
Well, I was serious in not wanting any votes or awards, but screw it, I'll try to be graceful. Thanks. I'd like right now to offer my services as moderator the next time around so that AyaK may enter some of his work (I know we all want to read it). I'd probably still post some of my own stuff (particularly if the contest hit a slow period), but as moderator, I could make damned sure no votes for me were counted, and could free up our AyaK for other duties (and pleasures).

This was a really interesting list of winners, too. Reminded me about some pieces I'd sort of forgotten. It's a great list (although I think recent events may have caused some of the clown's stuff to get less consideration than perhaps it should've). Congratulations to all the winners. And thanks for the Salman Rushdie. Hope you don't mind if I sorta think of it more as a "body of work" award than as an award for a specific piece.

PepeLePew13 25415 desperate attention whore postings

07-21-01, 03:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "In Agreement..."
LAST EDITED ON 07-21-01 AT 03:27 PM (EST)

I agree, I believe the Salman Rushdie is well deserved for the many well-written stories you have submitted on the whole more than for any one specific story, Sherpa...

A couple winners were a bit of a surprise, but you can't argue with any of the winners, really. It's amazing how much written talent we have out there on SB and it's a privilege for myself to be in the company of all these people.

A round of drinks in the bar to everyone for their work! Conga-rats!

Edited to fix typos, as usual

AyatollahKhomeini 2008 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

07-21-01, 04:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyatollahKhomeini Click to send private message to AyatollahKhomeini Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "shakes"
>It's a great list (although I think recent events may have
>caused some of the clown's stuff to get less consideration
>than perhaps it should've).

Just as a side point, the entry that received the most votes without winning a Blowie was shakes' "The Mauve World."

>And thanks for the Salman Rushdie. Hope you
>don't mind if I sorta think of it more as
>a "body of work" award than as an award for
>a specific piece.

You're welcome. Feel free to think of it any way you want!

sleeeve 3456 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

07-21-01, 03:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sleeeve Click to send private message to sleeeve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: SSC: And the Blowies go to..."
Since ICB brought it up, here you go:

Congrats Everyone...
How about a round of
applause!

You never know what might be up my sleeeve...

aymelek 1220 desperate attention whore postings

07-21-01, 03:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aymelek Click to send private message to aymelek Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: SSC: And the Blowies go to..."
Wow, thank you so much for your votes everyone; I am deeply honored by it & grateful to you all. I was amazed at the talent I saw in all of you who entered the SSC. I also want to take the opportunity to thank the man responsible for the inspiration for my poem Towed. He was good for something after all...!

Love you all,
Aymelek

Pendragon 136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

07-21-01, 05:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Pendragon Click to send private message to Pendragon Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: SSC: And the Blowies go to..."
Hey all,

I know it is not normally the custom for the second runner up to make a speech, but I thought I ought to.

I would like to thank the Academy and all who voted.

I would like to thank my girlfriend for inspiring me and my wife for letting me have a girlfriend.

I would like to thank my mother for not killing me post partum and for having sex with my father. You guys made me possible.

I would like to thank Sandra Bullock for all the nights, and Ben Affleck for teaching me that I could hate someone completely.

I would like to thank Sean Connery for giving me a hero and George Michaels for not waking me up before he went-went.

Shot out to Webby for making this forum possible and to VampKira, Rio, EBug, Moonbaby, Survivorchick, samiam, Roni, ItzLisa, Mistofleas, Aymelek, and Superman for filling the place with plenty of "eye-candy".

Big bear hug to LisaPooh for inspiration, SherpaDave for creative input, and to GG and Mark Burnett for being so damn British (God save the Queen, my friends.)

There are many others I know I am forgetting. So screw 'em. I don't need 'em anyway.

Thanks again, and I'll see you all in hell.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles."
Miracle Max, Princess Bride

Riordan 634 desperate attention whore postings

07-21-01, 06:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Riordan Click to send private message to Riordan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: SSC: And the Blowies go to..."
Congratulations to all!! You were all wonderful. And thanks to Kismet for the idea. I had a wonderful time reading all of the entries. I hope SB will do this again, and in the meantime perhaps all of you will continue to share with us. Please.

I would like to thank my girlfriend for inspiring me and my wife for letting me have a girlfriend. Dare I to hope this is me? Btw, I saved this one for you:

aymelek 1220 desperate attention whore postings

07-21-01, 08:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aymelek Click to send private message to aymelek Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: SSC: And the Blowies go to..."
SHEESH!! At least I was ahead of Superman on that list...!

*hugs Pen because she misses him*

Survivorerist 4103 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

07-21-01, 05:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Survivorerist Click to send private message to Survivorerist Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: SSC: And the Blowies go to..."
Wow, congratulations y'all! I must say that the voting for me was very difficult, as all the entries were super-great!

When I was little I prayed to God for a bike, but then I realized God doesn't work like that. So I stole a bike then prayed for forgiveness.

VampKira 4433 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

07-21-01, 09:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail VampKira Click to send private message to VampKira Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: SSC: And the Blowies go to..."
LAST EDITED ON 07-21-01 AT 09:29 PM (EST)

Congrtatulations to all of the SSC winners!! I am honored to be a part of a community with such talented people... and I want to say congratz to ALL who entered in the contest. I didn't read one thing I didn't like!!

---------------------------------
"Let's spend the night together,
You'll wake up and live forever."
-Jamiroquai
---------------------------------
Du ar min hjälte, Supermänniska

Monkeyboy 1224 desperate attention whore postings

07-21-01, 11:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Monkeyboy Click to send private message to Monkeyboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: SSC: And the Blowies go to..."
Uhhh...I won something? KEWL!
Thanks guys, but I sincerely didn't deserve it. I think all of the stuff I read was much better than my drivel.
I'm sorry Sherpa didn't win....maybe he's so talented and prolific it was hard for people to decide on any one thing he did?

This was fun! Let's do it again next year!
Drinks on the house for everyone who entered!
(Peter Torque is gonna be so psyched when I tell him!)

ItzLisa 3350 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

07-22-01, 11:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ItzLisa Click to send private message to ItzLisa Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: SSC: And the Blowies go to..."
Congrats to all my friends!!! You were all awesome, and the votes were a tough choice!

dabo 26553 desperate attention whore postings

07-23-01, 00:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: SSC: And the Blowies go to..."
Congratulations to all the deserving winners! Even though I had qualms about the contest aspect of SSC, the Blows Community came together and showed its brilliance, that of a society of diverse, unique, fun, witty, intelligent, caring people, and for that I thank you all. I will miss reading new entries, and I hope to see more creative writing even though the contest is finished. We have our differences here, and sometimes our differences can get in the way; let us all take a cue from the SSC experience henceforth to celebrate our diversity, our IDIC (Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations), and be resolved to find our strength and unity in it.

"If the race of man should be left naked upon a desert island, we should become extinct in six weeks. A few individuals might linger, but in a year would become worse than monkeys." (Samuel Butler, "Erewhon")

darbygrl 293 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

07-23-01, 09:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail darbygrl Click to send private message to darbygrl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: SSC: And the Blowies go to..."
Wow - well said Dabo!

Big old congrats to all the entrants and the winners!!!
Personally I was amazed at all the talent that was oozing from that sight. It took me by surprise- I loved reading all the different thing that emerged from everyone's heads. WAy better than the book I am reading now.
WELL DONE EVERYONE!!!!
(must go to bar and buy round for all!)

<>

darbygrl

Survivorchick 1161 desperate attention whore postings

07-23-01, 01:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Survivorchick Click to send private message to Survivorchick Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: SSC: And the Blowies go to..."
Voting WAS very difficult as there is so much talent on this board. I also want to thank Kismet for the great idea and Volmel for the website and AyaK for taking all of the votes. There were so many wonderful pieces. I enjoyed reading them all. Sherpa - I'm glad yo got an award because I think your writing is awesome. And Lisapooh - I hope you keep writing and keep submitting your work to be published because I think you are very talented as well.

Survivorchick

PeterTorque 213 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

07-23-01, 02:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PeterTorque Click to send private message to PeterTorque Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "Exhibition or competition?"
I just wanted it to be an exhibition, not a competition, mostly because art and creativity are by nature so much more subjective than objective. It's like putting a price tag on a near-death experience(or an Everest climb, which also seems to fall under the same category these days). It's the journey, not the destination, it's the fame, not the money. It is sooo GREAT just to have someone take the time to READ your stuff (let alone actually like it). Usually the best compliments my stories ever garnish are along the lines of "Don't quit your day job." (Sound familiar MB?) --But that's nothing, you should hear how visciously people attack my guitar playing. Thanks to the Board for being so overwhelmingly upbeat, you guys provide better positive reinforcement than a fifth of Seagrams, and a Dahli Lama tape!

LadyT 5567 desperate attention whore postings

07-25-01, 00:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail LadyT Click to send private message to LadyT Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Exhibition or competition?"
I almost didn't vote because it was so damn hard deciding. But I want to thank everyone for their courage in writing and sharing their works. A lot of emotions were provoked, and that is what they are suppossed to do. Excellent job everyone! Let's do this again
----------------------------
What you talkin about Willis?

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •