The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"SSC NF "Undercurrents""
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Story Competitions Forum (Protected)
Original message

PeterTorque 213 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

07-13-01, 04:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PeterTorque Click to send private message to PeterTorque Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"SSC NF "Undercurrents""
The elementary school I went to on the outskirts of Tucson, Arizona would have been considered to be have been a good socio-ethnic cross section of 1960's America. About one-third the kids at Palos Verdes Elementary were Hispanic or African-American, and although things like race, religion, and money didn't mean anything to us at the time, I think in our own little ways we could see the beginnings of the cultural lines being drawn. I think many of us were unwittingly pulled to one side another, like a river trout buffeted by unseen currents in a mountain stream.
Book Order Day was one of the more exciting rituals of our endless weeks. I was always allowed to get only two Scholastic Book Services books, so I would read the reviews in the monthly handout over and over to pick the best ones. I always wanted about six books really bad, and narrowing my choice down to two was nerve-wracking. I couldn't complain, a lot of the poor kids, like my friend Gilberto Lopez (who sat with his desk facing mine), would never get any books at all. Then there were the spoiled kids, like Jimmy Wyler, who's dad owned a popular auto dealership. He could really give a damn about reading books at all, but he always managed to have stacks of them on his desk every third Friday of the month. He was always more than ready to tease the poor kids too, making it painfully obvious that he had plenty of books while they had none.
One Friday after Jimmy yet again bugged poor Gilberto about having no books, I had decided I'd had about enough. Even at that young an age, I realized if you weren't part of the solution, you were just another part of the problem. Of course I secretly wished I could just get that Jimmy Wyler in a headlock in front of the whole class and make him scream he was sorry... But with me being the smallest kid in the class, bar none, and Jimmy being the toughest kid in the class, bar none, I knew it wasn't going to happen, so I devised a better plan. I would simply give Gilberto one of my books to keep, then I would go to the library and check one out to bring home, as I knew my parents would never approve of, or even understand my diabolical plan.
My parents often though of the Mexicans as lazy, and my father especially, wasn't afraid to voice his opinion either. Fortunately I was a free thinker, and even by second grade, I had my own opinion on things, an opinion vastly different from my parent's. I knew Gilberto's mother wasn't lazy, she was almost always at work. She was the lunch lady at our school (of which poor Gilberto garnered endless teasing from the rich kids), then she worked as an office janitor at night. It must have been really hard for a single mother to work two jobs in the land of opportunity, and also care of her kids which included Gilberto, his two older sisters and his older brother Carlo. Although she did her best, the lack of supervision was obvious with Carlo, who was rumored to carry a switchblade knife, and be in a gang, even though he was only in the fifth grade.
When the big Friday came, I looked at my two books earnestly. One was about race car drivers and pictured a fiery crash on page four, the other was about whales and dolphins --both were pretty good, well thought out choices, and equally hard to give up. I knew Gilberto liked whales as he was often drawing them when he should've been doing his schoolwork. In fact, Gilberto wasn't big on schoolwork; I don't think our teacher, the horn-rim bespectacled Mrs. Sparks, understood the language barrier a kid like Gilberto was up against, as she didn't seem to give him much of a break, ever. On the contrary, she constantly berated Gilberto. Looking back I'd say he was the class scapegoat at the time. Sometimes I'd wonder what it would be like if I was suddenly uprooted and thrown into a school in Mexico where I couldn't speak the language. It was a scary thought to say the least.
It was a hard decision, but I decided to part with the whale book, as I thought Gil would have really appreciated that one the most, and I was right. His face registered surprise when I slid the book across my desk to his. "For you," I said, "To keep, pemanente', el gifto." His face lit up when he saw that it was primer on whales, and he eagerly turned the pages. After school I rushed to the library and found a thin, new, paperback. I stripped off the clear plastic jacket and stuffed it inside my math book to hide it. The final result was pretty convincing, I just hoped my parents wouldn't see that pesky, tell-tale, overdue-card pocket, that was taped to the inside cover.
So began our little tradition. Although tempting, I would never read Gilberto's book before giving it to him, that would be rude, giving him some old used book. Gilberto would eagerly read and reread whatever book I had chosen for him, but I think he liked the whale one best, as he would often bring it to school with him. I remember thinking he probably got more joy and use out of his one book every third Friday , than Jimmy got out of all six of his.
At the time I didn't know for sure, but it seemed to me that after that event, Gil's life took a turn for the better. His English reading skills improved quickly, and his speaking soon followed suit. The formerly shy, quiet, student, who was constantly afraid the teacher would call on him in class and embaras him, suddenly was ready to speak up, and I think we were all a little surprised (especially Mrs. Sparks), that Gil was actually a pretty sharp kid. By the time summer vacation slowly dragged itself along, he was at the top of the class.
Not everybody was happy with this arrangement, mind you. In fact, shortly after it began, Jimmy Wyler, his older brother Tim, and a few of the older brother's friends cornered Gil and I by the library one Friday after school. I guess to Jimmy I was some kind of traitor to the white race. He just couldn't understand why a 'have' would prefer the company of the 'have nots' to his. To me it was obvious.
We were two second graders facing about three fifth graders, and one of them had a bat. This was in the late 60's where Vietnam body counts were presented on the evening news and racial violence was everywhere, Watts has just gone up in flames a few weeks prior. As they advanced towards us in the now claustrophobic hall, I could see the librarian through the glass doors. She just turned away, she didn't want to get involved. She was part of the problem. I remember thinking that although we were going to get a beating, I really wasn't that scared. I was glad to be on the side I was, and I was really, really, glad I wasn't one of THEM.
Just when I thought it was going to get ugly, the sharp click of a switchblade knife commanded everyone's attention, and there behind us was Gil's brother, standing there like an avenging angel. Although still outnumbered, there's something insidious about a switchblade that demands respect, bat or no bat. Jimmy's brother and friends backed down but vowed they'd find us alone one of these days. And maybe they did. I remember hearing years later, about Carlo getting fatally stabbed in a gang fight outside a Bob's Big Boy restaurant. They never found who did it, but Tim's name was mentioned.
Second grade gave way to summer, and third grade found Gil and I in separate classes. We never stayed in touch or anything, and I probably would never have remembered the whole thing if I hadn't of turned on the TV one day to see a Nova special on whales, and here's Professor Lopez of the Monterrey Oceanographic Institute on the TV --apparently one of the world's foremost experts on blue whales! That's when it hit me that even one small person can effect a big change in this world, and there's no telling what the ever-expanding effects of your seemingly small actions, be them good or bad, will be. Like tiny ripples emanating outwards on the surface of a pond, interacting with other ripples to form currents and patterns so different than the original wave. It's too bad no one gave Carlo a whale book.
So what happened to Jimmy then? Last I heard he was in prison for credit card fraud. Tim overdosed in high school, but some people say the Mexican Mafia purposely poisoned his drugs. And me? Maybe you think I became a race car driver. No, not after spending all that time ogling the fiery crash on page four.... I became a writer of course.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Welcome AyatollahKhomeini 07-13-01 1
   RE: Welcome PeterTorque 07-19-01 20
 RE: SSC NF "Undercurrents" Ronnet 07-13-01 2
 RE: SSC NF "Undercurrents" idiotcowboy 07-13-01 3
 RE: SSC NF "Undercurrents" aymelek 07-13-01 4
   RE: SSC NF "Undercurrents" Monkeyboy 07-13-01 6
 RE: SSC NF "Undercurrents" larman 07-13-01 5
   Gator!!! dangerkitty 07-13-01 7
       Kitty...this is Peter Torque's stor... Monkeyboy 07-13-01 9
 Welcome dangerkitty 07-13-01 8
   RE: Welcome Monkeyboy 07-13-01 10
 RE: SSC NF "Undercurrents" Kismet 07-13-01 11
 RE: SSC NF "Undercurrents" moonbaby 07-13-01 12
 RE: SSC NF "Undercurrents" George Tirebiter 07-13-01 13
 RE: SSC NF "Undercurrents" Mon Cherie 07-14-01 14
 RE: SSC NF "Undercurrents" VampKira 07-14-01 15
   RE: Scholastic Book Club desert_rhino 07-19-01 22
       But you CAN do something about real... PeterTorque 07-19-01 23
           RE: But you CAN do something about ... desert_rhino 07-19-01 24
 RE: SSC NF "Undercurrents" Superman 07-14-01 16
 Thanks to all... PeterTorque 07-16-01 17
   RE: Thanks to all... Drive My Car 07-16-01 18
       RE: Miles and Miles PeterTorque 07-19-01 19
 RE: SSC NF "Undercurrents" ItzLisa 07-19-01 21

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

AyatollahKhomeini 2008 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

07-13-01, 04:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyatollahKhomeini Click to send private message to AyatollahKhomeini Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Welcome"
I love the pun in the screen name, and it's nice to have you with us. We already have another Monkey here as well (a Monkeyboy, to be precise).

I absolutely remember having Book Order Day, although my memories of second grade are much fuzzier than yours, PT.

07-19-01, 01:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PeterTorque Click to send private message to PeterTorque Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Welcome"
In fact, I picked that screen name as a spoof off Monkeyboy's name. He's the one who clued me in to this site.

Ronnet 1734 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

07-13-01, 05:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ronnet Click to send private message to Ronnet Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: SSC NF "Undercurrents""
Hey Peter - wonderful story! Thank you for posting.

Haven't seen you in chat lately. I know you're busy with the band and all - but stop by for a while.

Roni

idiotcowboy 1135 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

07-13-01, 06:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail idiotcowboy Click to send private message to idiotcowboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: SSC NF "Undercurrents""
Love the story!

Heard a lot about you.

Welcome Aboard!

-ICB

looks for other new posters to welcome... this job is tough... perhaps I'll have to go rescue buggie from the corner

aymelek 1220 desperate attention whore postings

07-13-01, 06:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aymelek Click to send private message to aymelek Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: SSC NF "Undercurrents""
Welcome, Peter! Nice story...! Any friend of the munky is a friend of mine!

Monkeyboy 1224 desperate attention whore postings

07-13-01, 07:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Monkeyboy Click to send private message to Monkeyboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: SSC NF "Undercurrents""
BRAVO PETE!
AYA...Pete is my "real life" best friend...he lives about 1/2 a mile from me! He chose his name to complement mine!

FEEDBACK: Pete..I think this is a GREAT story. Very warm, yet gritty and "pulp-fiction" like. I've never heard it.
My only criticism would be that there a few typos, but nothing major. I think this is good enough for "Reader's Digest".
I'm SOO glad you're my friend...you're such a good guy!
You also brought back the bad memories of watching Veit Nam footage as a child. What a nightmare for us to have to see that as kids! Anything that recalls real emotion like that is good writing!

Hey GANG...welcome him aboard, read his story, and give him some feedback! (Pretty cool for a second post...dontcha think?)
We got a great new edition to the boards! Now if we could just get him to watch SURVIVOR...teehee

Don't let him kid ya...he THINKS he's a race car driver!
Don't ever lend him your 5-liter stickshift Mustang! Baahaa

Pete...you should post a story about the time you got a speeding ticket on your SKATEBOARD!!! There's still time!
(Talk to ya' later bud!)

larman 47 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

07-13-01, 07:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail larman Click to send private message to larman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: SSC NF "Undercurrents""
Every once in a while, every one needs a great story where good overcomes the bad. I sure did today. Thanks for this gem of hope-gator lady

dangerkitty 1913 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

07-13-01, 07:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dangerkitty Click to send private message to dangerkitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Gator!!!"
Gator honey! Nice to see you!! Are you back to post again? Hope so....

dangerkitty

07-13-01, 07:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Monkeyboy Click to send private message to Monkeyboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "Kitty...this is Peter Torque's story!"
KITTY,
*shakes his head disapprovingly*
This is my friend's story. He wants feedback!
Please read his story and give him some feedback!
Don't make me come in there!

dangerkitty 1913 desperate attention whore postings

07-13-01, 07:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dangerkitty Click to send private message to dangerkitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "Welcome"
Nice to have you here, PT! A friend of Monkey is a friend of mine.

Great story, and what a good person you are! I love it. Hope to see you around a lot.

I wanna hear the skateboard story! Tell, tell!!

dangerkitty

...always thought Peter was the cutest Monkee...

07-13-01, 07:22 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Welcome"
Ooops!
Thanks Kitty!
You had me wondering there for a minute! Sorry for jumping to conclusions!
(Wow...you were quick!)
*puts out a fresh bowl of milk for kitty*

Good call Kitty...the skateboard story is hilarious!

Kismet 802 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

07-13-01, 09:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Kismet Click to send private message to Kismet Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: SSC NF "Undercurrents""
Great story and welcome Peter. I am glad monkey dragged you here kicking and screaming. The screaming is normal for this looney bin. However, I hope the kicking stops soon because you're making me nervous.

Thanks for making me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Kismet

moonbaby 17099 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-13-01, 09:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: SSC NF "Undercurrents""
Hey PT this is a great story! The Monkeys (minus Mike) are appearing at the Westbury Music Fair here on Long Island either this weekend or next-there was even a picture of them in the paper! LOL!

George Tirebiter 2982 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

07-13-01, 11:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail George%20Tirebiter Click to send private message to George%20Tirebiter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: SSC NF "Undercurrents""
LAST EDITED ON 07-13-01 AT 11:34 PM (EST)

I announced at the beginning of the SSC thingie that I wouldn't post to any because then I'd fell obligated to post to ALL and then it'd start to sound fakey and pointless and who is anyone to critique someone else's art and blah blah blah--BUT. . .

I owe apeface for criticizing his feces-flinging in the bar, and I really do think we need more sweet munky-types around here. (The girls are suckers for that childlike shtick, you know! )

Now. . . would you please talk him into doing Cornertime? I wanna see him swing from Kismet's rafters and haul her ass off on his BMX!

GT

Edited cuz I forgot to say I LIKE the story! DUUUUUH!

Mon Cherie 1813 desperate attention whore postings

07-14-01, 00:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Mon%20Cherie Click to send private message to Mon%20Cherie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: SSC NF "Undercurrents""
Thanks for sharing that story with us PT! It was very touching.

Memories of those book fairs!

Mon Cherie

Sarchasm:
The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who
doesn't get it.

VampKira 4433 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

07-14-01, 07:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail VampKira Click to send private message to VampKira Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: SSC NF "Undercurrents""
Peter!! This was wonderful! I really enjoyed reading it. I too, remember ordering those books.. and for me, it was a rare occasion also. We had ZIP for money when I was a kid.. (I grew up in what is my towns "ghetto" from the time I was six, and my mother became a single mom of four struggling to make ends meet, till I was 12) so I can relate to how that kid felt. I hope you start posting more as well... If you are a friend of my Apeface, well.. you must be very cool!! Welcome to the Dark Side! And hey Apey.. PLEASE do the damn Cornertime!!!!

---------------------------------
"Let's spend the night together,
You'll wake up and live forever."
-Jamiroquai
---------------------------------
Du ar min hjälte, Supermänniska

desert_rhino 10087 desperate attention whore postings

07-19-01, 09:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail desert_rhino Click to send private message to desert_rhino Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Scholastic Book Club"
OMG! <click> I soooo remember trying to figure out what books I could have and HAD to have, based on the $1.75 or whatever... We were living on a disability pension, and my mom would go to her purse (not pocketbook, dammit!) and we'd get to split whatever was there for our book orders. I helped my brother do the math sometimes.

-- JV

"What rage for fame attends both great and small!
Better be damned than mentioned not at all." --John Wolcot (1738–1819)

"Ignore Reality, there's nothing you can do about it." Don't You Think

07-19-01, 02:02 PM (EST)
23. "But you CAN do something about reality"
Let's look at the very 'fabric of reality' itself (as physicists like to call it), and what can do you do with fabric? Well, you can perform alterations. Therefore you can alter reality. (I think you should be able to fold it too, but the physicists haven't quite figured THAT one out yet --they still need to do the math.)

desert_rhino 10087 desperate attention whore postings

07-19-01, 02:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail desert_rhino Click to send private message to desert_rhino Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: But you CAN do something about reality"
Oh, man, the theoreticians can fold it just fine... It's the ENGINEERS who're having trouble with it...

-- JV

"What rage for fame attends both great and small!
Better be damned than mentioned not at all." --John Wolcot (1738–1819)

"Ignore Reality, there's nothing you can do about it." Don't you think

Superman 3157 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

07-14-01, 08:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Superman Click to send private message to Superman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: SSC NF "Undercurrents""
PeterTorque! OMG! I Love him!

Great story, PT! You made a wise choice of professions, although I was reeeeeally hoping you were a race car driver!

07-16-01, 05:51 PM (EST)
17. "Thanks to all..."
...who provided feeeback on my story, you guys are all tremendously positive! Wow! In fact, after reading the comments, I was even inspired to go right out and write another little story (which is no mean feat for a writer with a severely procrastinistic bent.)

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

07-16-01, 06:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Thanks to all..."
LAST EDITED ON 07-16-01 AT 06:17 PM (EST)

Pete!!!
This was wonderful. Gave me the chills ( in a good way) That such a small act of kindness made such a HUGE impact on that boys life, really beautiful.

I too loved book order day ( still pour over all the books when my daughter brings home the Scholastic order form)

Have you thought of contacting Gil? Maybe telling him you remembered he liked whales in second grade?

I think 7 year old kids can be amazing ( you certainly were )

EBug

07-19-01, 01:23 AM (EST)
19. "RE: Miles and Miles"
Until I saw that guy on TV, I never would have suspected my idea would've went so far. I guess you could say I sure got a lot of mileage off of that one simple good deed. (Maybe it'll help roll back the massive Karmic debt load I seem to be carrying.) I never thought of getting a hold of 'Gil' --the real names were changed in the story, so I wouldn't get sued or something--, I wonder which would be better; to find out more about him, or just leave it alone knowing he at least seemed to be doing just fine. (Should life's path be a circle or a straight line?) Or just maybe one day he'll hear the story and call me... now that would be cool, like life's path was actually a figure eight!

ItzLisa 3350 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

07-19-01, 09:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ItzLisa Click to send private message to ItzLisa Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: SSC NF "Undercurrents""
Peter! I'm so sorry I haven't commented on your story till now - I only just saw it today (and forgot to check for new stuff on Kis' story site - doh!). This was wonderful! Truly one of the better ones in this competition! I remember those Scholastic Book clubs! No matter how little money we had, my Mom always made sure to let me pick out at least three books each time - she knew it was important for a kid to read, and it really made a difference! I feel the same way for my nieces and nephews - when it's birthday or Christmastime, I head to the bookstore for them rather than anything else!

Your story also reminds me quite a lot of "Pay If Forward", which I just saw. Not the greatest movie in the world, but a similar thought and idea - that a small gesture sometimes can make the biggest difference. You never know how something small, sometimes good, sometimes bad, will shape another human being later on!

Also wanted to welcome you to the boards and that we hope you stay! Monkey has told me alot about you, and I know he thinks the world of you! Stick around with us, m'kay?

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •