The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Stunt Casting"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Non-Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

Draco Malfoy 10525 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-10-03, 09:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Draco%20Malfoy Click to send private message to Draco%20Malfoy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Stunt Casting"
I am getting *so* sick of the "guest-star-of-the-week" syndrome that is just infecting TV these days. Simpsons and Will and Grace are probably the worst about this, but others have fallen into that trap. I'm so tired of "This week on (insert show here), (insert movie star trying to prove they can do television) guest stars as (wacky role), and you won't BELIEVE what happens!"

Line up the sharks, it's time for a mass jumping!

"Why is my thing on fire?"-Karmic Dharma
Start Weight:339 Last Weigh-in:301.5 Loss To Date:-38.5

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Stunt Casting Big Al 11-10-03 1
   RE: Stunt Casting Draco Malfoy 11-10-03 2
       RE: Stunt Casting ginger 11-10-03 3
           RE: Stunt Casting Draco Malfoy 11-11-03 4
               RE: Stunt Casting ginger 11-11-03 6
                   RE: Stunt Casting MollyTV 11-12-03 10
 RE: Stunt Casting AugustGirl 11-11-03 5
   RE: Stunt Casting ginger 11-11-03 7
 RE: Stunt Casting Bebo 11-12-03 8
   RE: Stunt Casting Big Al 11-12-03 9

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Big Al 293 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

11-10-03, 10:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Big%20Al Click to send private message to Big%20Al Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Stunt Casting"
Fast and cheap way to get an Emmy nomination in best guest appearance on a series. How come a no name never gets nominated in this category? No names actually have to act rather than coast on their name.

11-10-03, 10:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Draco%20Malfoy Click to send private message to Draco%20Malfoy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Stunt Casting"
Bingo. Did we really need John Cleese? Or James Earl Jones, Dylan McDermott, Jack Black (this week's wacky guest)... the list goes on and on and on and on...

Occasionally this works great. The Kevin Bacon episode of Will and Grace was genius, and it worked because Kevin Bacon was playing himself in a believable role. Sandra Bernhardt? It worked. But Jack's old babysitter just happens to be a dead ringer for Demi Moore? Or Karen's lawyer looks like that cute kid from Home Alone? For a show that is grounded in reality enough to mention other networks' shows (Smallville, et. al), it strains credibility.

Start Weight:339 Last Weigh-in:301.5 Loss To Date:-38.5

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

11-10-03, 03:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Stunt Casting"
Bob Newhart on ER is one I could do without, myself.
On the other hand, David Cassidy was hilarious on Malcolm in the Middle last week, playing a sort of Wayne Newton/Tom Jones singer.

11-11-03, 07:22 AM (EST)
4. "RE: Stunt Casting"
Agreed on Bob Newhart. I love his comic stuff, but I don't know about him in a dramatic role. But admittedly, I never watch ER, so I don't know how good it is.

David Cassidy was perfect casting, but there's a huge difference. 1) He's not someone that most people look at and say "Oh wow, that's David Cassidy." 2) It seems more like they wrote the role, then cast Cassidy. A lot of times, it seems like "We've got so-and-so who wants to do a guest spot, what part can we write for them?" (See also: Simpsons). 3) Malcolm doesn't do it EVERY FRELLING WEEK!

Start Weight:339 Last Weigh-in:299.5 Loss To Date:-39.5

11-11-03, 12:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Stunt Casting"
Agreed re Malcolm. They've used Chloris Leachman and Bea Arthur as guest stars, but they were appropriate given the roles. I really do like Malcolm, even though the kids are aging in the inevitable way kids on sitcoms will. I like the parents on Malcolm - they are as entertaining as the children.

Your Draco has also aged, inevitably - now he looks like the guy in the Omen who gets his head cut off, only blonder.

MollyTV 480 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

11-12-03, 02:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MollyTV Click to send private message to MollyTV Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Stunt Casting"
i have to agree....david cassidy was EXCELLENT in that role.
so absolutely funny!!
and did he ever look like his dad jack more???

i am in agreement about this star guest appearance...
seems like they are lining up to do "friends"....
there have been some funny ones...but it seems like the way to promote the show.

oh and i hate to think malcolm is jumping the shark yet...it has lots of signs...
*new baby
*grown up kids

it has always been so funny i hope they keep it up!

AugustGirl 11534 desperate attention whore postings

11-11-03, 09:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AugustGirl Click to send private message to AugustGirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Stunt Casting"
I agree Draco. It is annoying. I think the one show that does it well, in addition to Malcolm, is Scrubs. All the others, including Will and Grace, seem to substitute guest star for interesting story line.

I like John Cleese, but not as Karen's love interest.

11-11-03, 12:42 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Stunt Casting"
I do remember him being funny as a counselor on "Cheers" telling Sam and Diane they should for god's sake split up. But again, that was appropriate casting and not just gimmicry.

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

11-12-03, 10:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Stunt Casting"
Well, you can't accuse "Las Vegas" of stunt casting for having Wayne Newton in this week's episode. I mean, cmon, it's a given that if you're talking about Vegas, he's going to show up.

We really do have guidelines here. Believe it or not, the Guidelines make things more fun. Really.

Big Al 293 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

11-12-03, 01:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Big%20Al Click to send private message to Big%20Al Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Stunt Casting"
Wayne Newton? His popularity is one of the great myterys of life. Danke Schoen.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •