The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Trouble with Idol"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

NDNation 14 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-21-05, 01:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail NDNation Click to send private message to NDNation Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The Trouble with Idol"
LAST EDITED ON 04-21-05 AT 01:54 AM (EST)

The trouble with AI is that too often the contestants who make it to the final stages are the ones who have such generalized appeal that they're complete beige and bland. It's like everything else in American media and entertainment these days. We shoot for such a midline that what we end up with is acceptable but uninteresting.

Carrie? Vonzell? Anthony? Scott? Constantine? Boring, boring, boring, boring, and uh...boring. Carrie, Vonzell and Anthony are pretty much the same performer in varying packages. Big voice. Cutesie performance style. Bo is the only contestant left who is interesting.

I miss Nadia, Mikalah, Jessica and even Nikko. At least they were all a little quirky.

Other than Bo, I have no interest in any of the final 6 contestants. Too bad. The season started with such promise.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The Trouble with Idol biggest brutha 04-21-05 1
 RE: The Trouble with Idol geekboy 04-21-05 2
 RE: The Trouble with Idol Harrison 04-21-05 3
   RE: The Trouble with Idol okaychatt 04-21-05 4
       RE: The Trouble with Idol JOSHIDOL 04-21-05 5
           RE: The Trouble with Idol geekboy 04-21-05 6
               RE: The Trouble with Idol JOSHIDOL 04-21-05 7
                   RE: The Trouble with Idol geekboy 04-21-05 8
                       RE: The Trouble with Idol Glow 04-21-05 11
               RE: The Trouble with Idol nailbone 04-22-05 17
               RE: The Trouble with Idol Feva4diva 04-22-05 21
           RE: The Trouble with Idol cambo 04-21-05 16
       RE: The Trouble with Idol Harrison 04-21-05 10
 RE: The Trouble with Idol J Slice 04-21-05 9
   RE: The Trouble with Idol singer 04-21-05 12
       RE: The Trouble with Idol Feva4diva 04-22-05 19
 RE: The Trouble with Idol Tahj 04-21-05 13
   RE: The Trouble with Idol JOSHIDOL 04-21-05 14
   RE: The Trouble with Idol LakerLuv 04-21-05 15
   RE: The Trouble with Idol Feva4diva 04-22-05 20
 RE: The Trouble with Idol nailbone 04-22-05 18

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

biggest brutha 36 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-21-05, 03:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail biggest%20brutha Click to send private message to biggest%20brutha Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The Trouble with Idol"
the problem with the trifling show is American viewers vote and really can't tell why the hell they are voting for that person.
The song selection by the contestants is weak, fedrov seriously now fedrov, He is the weakest of the bunch. Const is const, trying to mesmerize the camera the big lunk Bo was ok but only ok. I didn't like the brutha he was soft as butter he didn't really have anything goin on he might as well been white.
Vonz is starting to grow on me and Paula is the worst.

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

04-21-05, 07:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The Trouble with Idol"
Other than the fact that i do miss Nadia, i think this season has been very good.

We've seen almost all of the contestants - other than Carrie - grow and improve each week on the show (barring some down weeks, of course). Disco week was the strongest week collectively so far.

Constantine has emerged, Even anthony and scott have grown in terms of performers.

I've loved this season so far and do look forward to a Bo/Const final two!

geekboy

Harrison 173 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-21-05, 08:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Harrison Click to send private message to Harrison Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: The Trouble with Idol"
What you've really described here is the problem with Pop music.
American Idol is simply a symptom of that larger problem.

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

04-21-05, 09:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail okaychatt Click to send private message to okaychatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: The Trouble with Idol"
<the problem with Pop music

AKA Bubblegum Music.

But ya gotta admit, though there's not much to chew on, it's quite singable.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

JOSHIDOL 275 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-21-05, 09:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail JOSHIDOL Click to send private message to JOSHIDOL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: The Trouble with Idol"
The problem that I have been having with Idol is why do we consistently time after time here the same songs being sung on the show? I know people will say copyright but can't they find a bigger catalog. When the show started they said they had this huge catalog of songs to choose from yet we hear "everlasting Love" every year.
Did anyone notice last night how they pulled the same routine they did last year except in George Huff's place they put Bo. Anwar left last year Jennifer Hudson. Last year we had the hated John Stevens who this year is now disguised as Scott Savol.
This show is becoming a little too predictable if you ask me.
Predictable makes for boring.

04-21-05, 10:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: The Trouble with Idol"
I've said it before, i'll say it again...

They need to take a cue from Last Comic Standing and only allow one vote per phone number.

It can be done. It would throw a much needed twist in and would eliminate the mass-teen-tween-power-voting.

geekboy

04-21-05, 10:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail JOSHIDOL Click to send private message to JOSHIDOL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: The Trouble with Idol"
I still have problems with this hold voting system entirely too. This morning I heard that Palm Springs, California did not even get to see Anwar's performance, they went too long with commercials. Seeems to me that would be a reason for someone to make an uproar since he went home.
Also, this morning on local news David Brown was on saying that he knew Anwar would be leaving and that it will come down to a "Battle of the Rockers". Is this speculation or do former contestants really hae the inside scoop but can't say where it came from.
If in fact they do know it will come down to these 2, then actually that would explain why Mario Vasquez suddenly decided to make a quick exit before the first show.

04-21-05, 11:33 AM (EST)
8. "RE: The Trouble with Idol"
You tell me HOW David Brown would know that Anwar was going (other than based on his performance) and HOW he would know it would come down to a battle of the rockers?

I'm sure David still has some animosity, even though he deserved to go when he did.

I personally would love to see a Bo/Constantine final. I'm just tired of all the conspiracy theories every season about it being rigged. Its just a crock of you konw what.

geekboy

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-21-05, 12:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: The Trouble with Idol"
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! David did not deserve to go when he did.

I still have some animosity.

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

04-22-05, 11:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: The Trouble with Idol"
only allow one vote per phone number

But then Seacrest can't come on and talk about "30 bazillion votes, the largest vote in the HISTORY OF AMERICAN IDOL!!!"

New from Sigs by Syren!!

Keep lookin' up, cuz that's where it all is. o-

Feva4diva 342 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

04-22-05, 02:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Feva4diva Click to send private message to Feva4diva Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: The Trouble with Idol"
>I've said it before, i'll say
>it again...
>
>They need to take a cue
>from Last Comic Standing and
>only allow one vote per
>phone number.
>
>It can be done. It
>would throw a much needed
>twist in and would eliminate
>the mass-teen-tween-power-voting.
>
>geekboy

Thats a very good point. I agree.

cambo 286 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-05, 10:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cambo Click to send private message to cambo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: The Trouble with Idol"
They use the same songs b/c it's easier for the clearance people. Clearing songs isn't as easy as it seems. While a lot of songwriters give the green light, there are plenty others who don't give the okay. Plus it can take a long time having to go through the songwriter and publisher and work on a fee that all can agree on.

Harrison 173 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-05, 11:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Harrison Click to send private message to Harrison Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: The Trouble with Idol"
Sure, a hallmark of "good" Pop is the hook.

Re: voting.
There is something to the one phone/one vote idea and it would seem to be far more productive in the end.

If we are to assume that the votes translate (to some degree) to record sales, one vote per phone makes sense to me.
Surely the 12 year old borrowing mum's phone to make 45 calls/votes is not going to go out and buy 45 copies of Connie's hiddeous album.
One vote might translate to one purchase.

AI will lose the ability to brag about the (inflated?) number of calls received, but something tells me they'll simply find something else to go on and on about...

J Slice 13166 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-05, 11:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail J%20Slice Click to send private message to J%20Slice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: The Trouble with Idol"
LAST EDITED ON 04-21-05 AT 11:41 AM (EST)

The problem with American Idol is that it's still on.

Though it's awfully fun to laugh at. In a schadenfreude sort of way.

singer 1910 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-05, 01:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail singer Click to send private message to singer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: The Trouble with Idol"
>LAST EDITED ON 04-21-05
>AT 11:41 AM (EST)

>
>The problem with American Idol is
>that it's still on.
>
>
>Though it's awfully fun
>to laugh at. In a
>schadenfreude sort of way.

Now THAT'S funny!

--Singer

04-22-05, 02:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Feva4diva Click to send private message to Feva4diva Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: The Trouble with Idol"
SINGERR!!!! How are you, I have to agree LOL... That was funny!!

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

04-21-05, 02:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: The Trouble with Idol"
I like it for what it is. This show never promised anything more than it delivered. It's pop. That's the kind of audience it draws. I would say it's your own fault for expecting anything more. I mean, for God sakes, PAULA ABDUL is a judge!!! It's a shallow end show. Singers with any real depth and intelligence would never want to be a part of it.

Moves courtesy of Syren

04-21-05, 04:33 PM (EST)
14. "RE: The Trouble with Idol"
I think I finally realized that when all they could find to write a song for the American Idols was the guy who wrote songs for Olivia Newton John. Thats pretty lame. It does make you wonder, the popularity of this show but that could not get any other songwriter???

LakerLuv 151 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-05, 06:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LakerLuv Click to send private message to LakerLuv Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: The Trouble with Idol"
>I like it for what it
>is. This show never promised
>anything more than it delivered.
> It's pop. That's
>the kind of audience it
>draws. I would say
>it's your own fault for
>expecting anything more. I
>mean, for God sakes, PAULA
>ABDUL is a judge!!!
>It's a shallow end show.
> Singers with any real
>depth and intelligence would never
>want to be a part
>of it.
>
>
>Moves courtesy of
>Syren

Exactly! It's about making someone a pop star. It's not about finding the next Marvin Gaye or Bob Dylan, etc., etc. I like it for what it is and nothing more.

04-22-05, 02:40 PM (EST)
20. "RE: The Trouble with Idol"
> Singers with any real
>depth and intelligence would never
>want to be a part
>of it.

I agree...
But are you saying that any wannabe singer like the contestants, or any singer thats pretty played out already like Paula?

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

04-22-05, 11:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: The Trouble with Idol"
the ones who have such generalized appeal

shoot for such a midline that what we end up with is acceptable but uninteresting

But that's exactly the point. They want someone that appeals to the largest population available, so as to SELL THE MOST CDS. They don't want the next Dylan as Tahj said, they want the next Britney.

New from Sigs by Syren!!

Keep lookin' up, cuz that's where it all is. o-

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •