The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Brat Camp"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

StarryLuna 4771 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

07-14-05, 08:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail StarryLuna Click to send private message to StarryLuna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Brat Camp"
Did anyone watch? DH wanted to see it, because he wants to do one of those wilderness things, where they teach you to survive, then leave you in the woods. It was pretty interesting, there's definitely a lot of anger built up in these kids. I was amazed at how quickly some of them, especially Lexie, opened up about things that had happened to them. I think Lauren (I hope that's the right name - the girl who's father passed away when she was 10) is going to be really interesting. She seems like a very intelligent girl and I can tell just by the way she speaks that she and I would be great friends if we ever met in person. I was very impressed with the calm way she tried to talk to some of the other kids when they did or said something that upset her.

Bounciness provided by IceCat!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Brat Camp SilverStar 07-14-05 1
   RE: Brat Camp StarryLuna 07-14-05 2
       RE: Brat Camp SilverStar 07-14-05 3
           RE: Brat Camp thndrkttn 07-14-05 4
 RE: Brat Camp Pretty_Kitty 07-14-05 5
   RE: Brat Camp SilverStar 07-14-05 6
       RE: Brat Camp StarryLuna 07-14-05 7
 RE: Brat Camp true 07-14-05 8
   RE: Brat Camp DonnaLynn 07-15-05 9
       RE: Brat Camp mommy2bree 07-16-05 10
   RE: Brat Camp beachlover40 08-15-05 52
       RE: Brat Camp DonnaLynn 08-15-05 53
 RE: Brat Camp cqvenus 07-16-05 11
   RE: Brat Camp StarryLuna 07-16-05 12
 RE: Brat Camp universityofkentuckyrocks 07-17-05 13
 RE: Brat Camp Silvergirl1 07-17-05 14
   RE: Brat Camp universityofkentuckyrocks 07-18-05 15
       RE: Brat Camp DonnaLynn 07-19-05 16
           RE: Brat Camp StarryLuna 07-20-05 19
               RE: Brat Camp mommy2bree 07-20-05 20
                   RE: Brat Camp StarryLuna 07-20-05 24
               RE: Brat Camp universityofkentuckyrocks 07-20-05 22
                   RE: Brat Camp BrownieBerries 07-22-05 35
                       RE: Brat Camp Femme 07-23-05 42
           RE: Brat Camp Fox41 07-21-05 27
               RE: Brat Camp DonnaLynn 07-21-05 28
   RE: Brat Camp Loree 07-19-05 17
 RE: Brat Camp Tamena 07-19-05 18
   RE: Brat Camp DonnaLynn 07-20-05 21
       RE: Brat Camp Tamena 07-20-05 25
       RE: Brat Camp bessie 07-21-05 32
           RE: Brat Camp Tamena 07-21-05 33
               RE: Brat Camp bessie 07-22-05 34
                   RE: Brat Camp Tamena 07-22-05 39
   RE: Brat Camp universityofkentuckyrocks 07-20-05 23
 I watched it tonight......... universityofkentuckyrocks 07-21-05 26
   RE: I watched it tonight......... Fox41 07-21-05 30
       RE: I watched it tonight......... universityofkentuckyrocks 07-21-05 31
 Did not like it. weltek 07-21-05 29
   RE: Did not like it. DonnaLynn 07-22-05 36
       RE: Did not like it. Fox41 07-22-05 37
       uhhhhhhhh.... weltek 07-22-05 38
           RE: uhhhhhhhh.... DonnaLynn 07-22-05 40
               RE: uhhhhhhhh.... weltek 07-22-05 41
       RE: ADHD. bessie 07-24-05 43
       RE: Did not like it. Tamena 07-26-05 47
 Jada Loree 07-26-05 44
   RE: Jada DonnaLynn 07-26-05 45
       RE: Jada Loree 07-26-05 46
           RE: Jada Tamena 07-26-05 48
       RE: Jada mysticwolf 07-26-05 49
           RE: Jada DonnaLynn 07-27-05 50
 RE: Brat Camp Fox41 07-27-05 51

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

SilverStar 6205 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-14-05, 10:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SilverStar Click to send private message to SilverStar Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Brat Camp"
Hey Luna. I watched and enjoyed it.

I had the opposite feeling about Lauren though. (That's the girl with the blond hair and braces, yes?) I hated the way she was bossing everyone around and trying to give them advice and stuff about their issues. She should be worrying about her own problems, not everyone else's. I guess that will come in time, but she was irritating me last night.

Sigs by Bob! Fear and chemistry keep everyone happy!
The phrase "phantom dooker" had me cracking up.

07-14-05, 12:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail StarryLuna Click to send private message to StarryLuna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Brat Camp"
Agree on the phantom dooker thing! I hope Jada can get past her lying, since all the other kids know she's lying.

07-14-05, 12:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SilverStar Click to send private message to SilverStar Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Brat Camp"
I couldn't believe she wouldn't fess up to the coke thing even after they told her it showed up in her drug screen. *boggle* Give it up, hon! They're on to you!

thndrkttn 3216 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

07-14-05, 01:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail thndrkttn Click to send private message to thndrkttn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Brat Camp"
My ex-fiance lied like that.

I would find a receipt from drinks at a strip club in his wallet, with his signature and he would stand there and tell me until he was blue in the face that he was never there. I would ask him if that was his signature and he would say yes, but that he wasn't at that strip club. Un*fvcking*believable.

He was the same way with drugs.

As long as they hold onto the lie, they can live safely within their concocted reality.

I watched and I really liked it. The counselors are freakin' saints! I fear though, that some kids are just not going to benefit from anything. Brat camp or not.

Pretty_Kitty 536 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

07-14-05, 01:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Pretty_Kitty Click to send private message to Pretty_Kitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Brat Camp"
I cried the whole way through the two hours!! I felt for the parents I identified with the kids the mother of the hyperactive boy (Derek?) just got to me when she said "I'm tired of dealing with it all by myself" I cried even harder cause I felt her frustration to my very core

I'm totally hooked

Pretty (was a problem child & now I'm raising one) Kitty

07-14-05, 03:51 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Brat Camp"
I teared up a little too when Lexie was revealing her sexual abuse story to the group. And I think in the upcoming previews they showed a shot of her saying "I felt like it was my fault" and I teared up again.

07-14-05, 03:54 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Brat Camp"
The whole Lexie thing kind of bothered me. Her parents kept referring to her abuse as the start of when she started acting weird. Didn't they think to get her counseling or anything? I'm sure they probably did try to discuss it with her and maybe she refused the counseling, but this is something that happened to her 4-5 years ago. Should they have done more sooner?

true 9689 desperate attention whore postings

07-14-05, 04:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail true Click to send private message to true Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Brat Camp"
I really enjoyed this show, but, I don't know if I'm really comfortable with these kids having their lives put on display for TV ratings.

Also, I don't think the young boy, the hyper kid, belongs there with the others. His only deal is he won't take his meds, and his Mom can't control him? She should get more help. Despite what Tom Cruise would say, I don't think the kids behavior is his fault. He has a real mental problem.

While those kids are at Brat Camp, I think the parents should be made to attend a parenting camp.

DonnaLynn 582 desperate attention whore postings

07-15-05, 03:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DonnaLynn Click to send private message to DonnaLynn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Brat Camp"
LAST EDITED ON 07-15-05 AT 03:14 PM (EST)

IMHO each one of these kids wouldn't be this way if their parents knew how to use a belt across their bottoms...

If I had even thought about slamming the door on my parents face and telling them to get the fu*k out, I would have been more than dead!

I agree that Derek really doesn't belong there. He is hyper-active and he is a prime example of what happens to someone that is on Ritalin for years then stops taking it. Ritalin does help but it just masks the problem until they are adults. After getting off it, they are usually much worse than when they started but by then the parents don't have to deal with them anymore... If you start with an ADD kid when they first start having a problem they can be helped. Most people don't realize that most of the time ADD kids are allergic to something they are eating and that causes this. My niece was diagnosed with ADD when she was 10. Her Dr. also did extensive testing and found that she was allergic to corn. He told my sister-in-law to cut out all corn in her diet. That meant pretty much everything. So much stuff we eat normally has some kind of corn product in it. My niece did great while on the special diet but after a couple of months my sister got tired of the extra effort of making her special meals, took her to a different Dr. and put her on Ritalin. I fear for her safety after she stops taking it but it's sad to say that most of the time parents would rather take the easy way out. Especially when Dr's are practically pushing the pills down the parents throats...

I think Derek would benefit greatly from super intense counseling. I think this place is not cool for him, especially with that one kid who has an anger problem. I wouldn't want my kid alone with him no matter what they had done, never in a million years...

All in all, I think I'll keep watching this. Although I swear I saw a 20/20 or Primetime that followed a bunch of kids through this same camp and they did it all in 2 hours... I wonder if these are the same kids... Hmmm...

BTW, did anyone else think the whole "earth name" thing was really lame???

--Donna :~)

(edited to add my last comment)

mommy2bree 253 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

07-16-05, 01:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mommy2bree Click to send private message to mommy2bree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Brat Camp"
>BTW, did anyone else think the
>whole "earth name" thing was
>really lame???
>
>--Donna :~)
>

Yes. VERY much so.

And I agree that Derek should not be there with Anger Boy.

Also, the chickie who's father died (sorry, it's late and I can't remember her name, Jennifer, maybe?) seems like she is trying to be one of the "counselor" types instead of a kid in need...and I love how her mom knows she is "responsible in her partying". Didn't really seem that way to me in her back story. She was really getting on my nerves with her whole talk to Jada about the truth setting you free.

I couldn't stop laughing when they were saying "Phantom Dooker" over and over. That's some funny stuff.

beachlover40 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

08-15-05, 12:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail beachlover40 Click to send private message to beachlover40 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
52. "RE: Brat Camp"
I totally agree with what you said about the parents attending a parenting camp while their kids are at "Brat Camp". My son was a resident of Sagewalk for 60 days and I truely believe in their program,but if the parents haven't had the same type of rigorous "reconditioning" as the child has had, it is extremely hard for the child to practice and use all he has learned when he returns home.

08-15-05, 02:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DonnaLynn Click to send private message to DonnaLynn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
53. "RE: Brat Camp"
>I totally agree with what you
>said about the parents attending
>a parenting camp while their
>kids are at "Brat Camp".
>My son was a resident
>of Sagewalk for 60 days
>and I truely believe in
>their program,but if the parents
>haven't had the same type
>of rigorous "reconditioning" as the
>child has had, it is
>extremely hard for the child
>to practice and use all
>he has learned when he
>returns home.

Welcome to the boards! Please tell us about your expeiences with Sage Walk... Did it work? How well was it recieved? We'd love to hear any "inside" information!

cqvenus 9765 desperate attention whore postings

07-16-05, 02:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cqvenus Click to send private message to cqvenus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Brat Camp"

this show was very interesting.

whatever happened to no corporal punishment? sheesh.

i'm really torn. i guess this stuff works, but i'm sure other things work, too. carrying 40 lbs of stuff and rocks in your pockets and manual labor doesn't seem to be the answer. but i'm staying tuned.

~ cq

07-16-05, 11:47 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Brat Camp"
OMH - where have you been?! *Smooches* I feel like I haven't seen you around in forever! (Could just be me though...)

universityofkentuckyrocks 2575 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

07-17-05, 08:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail universityofkentuckyrocks Click to send private message to universityofkentuckyrocks Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Brat Camp"
I'm thinking about watching it on Wednsday.

UL will always suck in my book!

Silvergirl1 9342 desperate attention whore postings

07-17-05, 11:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Silvergirl1 Click to send private message to Silvergirl1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Brat Camp"

I think it's an interesting way to help wayward kids turn themselves around, but I do want to see some improvement with the way the parents deal with them when they get home.

Specifically, the 15 year old Jada, who gets $50 to $100 just by asking for it, who has so much nice jewelry, and a expensive looking cell phone. What does she need a cell phone for? It just seems to me that the parents are part of her problem.

My 15 year old? Does not get money or an allowance from us. We buy her clothes, food, books, etc. She receives money from relatives as gifts, but does not spend it on drugs, has never had drugs, alcohol, or smoked a cigarette, well, I could go on.

My point is, that some of these parents are not providing the proper guidance to their children. I know it can become difficult, but giving them too much is asking for trouble, IMHO. And who lets their kid stay out until 3 in the morning?

Sigs by Bob! Like nuthin you've seen before!
I think the earth name was stupid, too. A/C is cool.

07-18-05, 00:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail universityofkentuckyrocks Click to send private message to universityofkentuckyrocks Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Brat Camp"
LAST EDITED ON 07-18-05 AT 00:49 AM (EST)

Mines during the Summer and on weekends during the school year even though they would prefer I wouldn't. I usually got to bed at 11:00 during the School Year.

07-19-05, 11:13 AM (EST)
16. "RE: Brat Camp"
I agree that part of the problem with these kids lies in the way the parents are raising them. A child will push the line as far as you will let them push you. You have to set the boundaries and make sure you don't let them cross over.

I do not have kids yet (still trying) but I have been an aunt since I was 10 years old and helped to raise one of my nieces. What's funny is that my 2 nieces have another aunt who lets them do whatever they want and they would rather come with me than stay with her.

I am very strict but we have a lot of fun together. If I make a promise I stick to it and if I tell one of them that if they don't act right that "a will happen" you better believe that "a" will happen. They are so respectful and never act up when they are with me because they know how far they can go.

I know this is different than having your own child, but I cannot believe that I would ever let my child slam their door in my face and lock me out. That happens and they wouldn't have a door on their room anymore.

Judge Judy says something that I have always loved. "As long as you live in your parents house, no matter how old you are, they own the air you breathe. You have no rights that they don't give you."

I do hope that this program works for them but I hope that the camp doesn't end at the camp. I would hope that each of the parents would get some kind of counseling...

Oh and about the cell phone thing. Agreed with another poster. There is NO reason a teenager needs a cell phone. We didn't have them when we were teenagers and got a long just fine. If we needed to call home we found a pay-phone. We make things just way too easy for kids nowadays...

07-20-05, 09:52 AM (EST)
19. "RE: Brat Camp"
Agree on the teenage cell phone thing. It's a growing epidemic. I see a kid pull out a cell phone in my classroom almost daily - and I teach middle school. The rule for cell phones in our school is that students involved in sports/after school activities may have them, but are to keep them in their lockers and turned off during the day. Nobody else is to have them. I know they get confiscated almost daily. Unfortunately, when they're confiscated, we wind up with a raginc parent in the office screaming that we can't take his/her kid's stuff. So if I see a kid with one, I just warn them to put it away or I'll take it away and that usually works.

Luna's Eclipses

mommy2bree 253 desperate attention whore postings

07-20-05, 10:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mommy2bree Click to send private message to mommy2bree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Brat Camp"
I do have to say one thing to that, though...With the Columbine shootings and all of the other school shootings that have happened in the last 10 years, I think when my daughter got to high school, I would want her to have some kind of communication. One difference from when I was a teenager is that we didn't have other students bringing guns to school and trying to blow half the population away. But when you really read the reports of the Columbine students, many of them were able to make calls to 911 and to their parents because of the fact that they have a cell. And God forbid anything like that happen when my daughter is in school, and she happens to be shot, having that last chance to talk to her might be worth the cost of the cell phone, a million times over. But that's neither here nor there...if kids do have cell phones, I think they should understand that there are only certain situations when they should be allowed to use the cell phone. And I think rather than get them an "unlimited" or high number of minutes, I would get a prepaid phone that had a certain number of minutes, and if you use that, you're out of luck until you can afford to replenish the minutes.

Anyway, I can kind of understand the teens with cell phones thing. But I can't understand them not understanding or following the rules regarding having those phones.

07-20-05, 03:48 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Brat Camp"
I don't really have a problem with students having the phones, for the reasons you mentioned. My problem is just with them getting them out and playing with them in class instead of working. I've never had a kid try to make a call in class (I did have several get out phones and make calls on the bus when we were on a field trip), they just like to play with the games or use the camera phone to take pictures of their friends. I agree that pre-paid is the best way to go with teenagers - a coworke let her two teenage daughters get pre-paid phones, and it's her daughters' responsibility to purchase the cards to keep their phones working, so they know not to waste their minutes. But a lot of other kids just get the phone and plan handed to them while their parents foot the bill. A lot of them constantly use text messaging too, which I think is more expensive.

Luna's Eclipses

07-20-05, 03:13 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Brat Camp"
I got too a private school and I would say 60% of the school has a cell phone. You are allowed too keep them in your pocket but may not use it until the end of the day. I do not own one but when I get a job in the I am going too get one. I think teens have cell phones b/c when teens go out how do they get home. I go out a lot too footbal and basketball games and friends houses. Only three of my friends have a cell phone but they do come in handy.

BrownieBerries 34 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

07-22-05, 11:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail BrownieBerries Click to send private message to BrownieBerries Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "RE: Brat Camp"
My good old public school allows cell use between classes now, just not in the classroom. Then again, half the time it's the teacher's cells who go off during class. My calc teacher's daughter called her probably once or twice a month during first period. Most teachers are pretty cool with it, it if goes off or something, they'll just tell you not to let it happen again. One day we had an early dismissal that we found out about second period, so my teacher let everyone call home and let them know. I got one because of my play practice, because we always ended at different times, depending on the director's mood.

Femme 3621 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

07-23-05, 11:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Femme Click to send private message to Femme Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
42. "RE: Brat Camp"
I love the idea of kids with cell phones. My children will have them. They won't ever be unreachable, like the kids of my generation were.

I often went over to my friend's house after school (so many of us did) and we gave my mom a wrong number, one that was disconnected, so she couldn't get through to tell me to come home. Worked brilliantly.

My kids? Will have to be more creative.

I don't like kids using phones during school hours, though. I believe they need to learn to develop the discipline and focus that so many tasks will demand later in life. While at school, be at school. The kids who abuse cell phones during school, I think, are the ones that will grow up to lack focus, to use their phones during work hours for personal calls, and to let outside affairs interrupt their progress and productivity. (Much like teachers who take telephone calls during class time, in my opinion.)

Oh, and true, ditto everything you said.

Fox41 251 desperate attention whore postings

07-21-05, 10:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Fox41 Click to send private message to Fox41 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Brat Camp"
LAST EDITED ON 07-21-05 AT 12:07 PM (EST)

>"I agree that part of the
>problem with these kids lies
>in the way the parents
>are raising them."

You said it! There are some BAD parents out there.
I work in a public library & I've seen kids treat
their parents like dogs. And I'm not talking about
teenagers. I'm talking about kids five & six years
old! I've heard kids curse their parents. I've watched
kids slap, punch, & kick their parents. I heard a
co-worker talk about how her seven year old son hurt
her feelings b/c he called her a b*tch.

Parents are too nice & sweet with kids. Kids have too
many things now days. Almost all of them are spoiled,
and they think the world should be given to them on a
silver platter. A lot of parents have a hard time saying
NO! So they let the child take control of every situation.
And then when the child becomes a teenager the parents
realize that they have to sleep with one eye open.

We don't need Brat Camp. We need Parent Camp. These
parents need to know that THEY are the ones in control.
Your life will be a mess if you let your seven year old
run the f*cking family! Come on parents ... get a spine!

07-21-05, 10:48 AM (EST)
28. "RE: Brat Camp"

>We don't need Brat Camp.
>We need Parent Camp.
>These
>parents need to know that THEY
>are the ones in control.
>
>Your life will be a mess
>if you let your seven
>year old
>run the f*cking family! Come
>on parents ... get a
>spine!
>
ROFL! I love it! You hit the nail on the head with that one!!!

I really wonder if this camp really helped these kids in the long run or if it just helped for a little while...

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

07-19-05, 04:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Brat Camp"
I thought it was interesting when they were interviewing the parents at the beginning. The mother would mention problems and the father would sit up and go WHAT? all the time. Like "what boyfriend"? I got the feeling the mother knew alot more what was going on than the father.

Tamena 174 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

07-19-05, 07:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tamena Click to send private message to Tamena Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Brat Camp"
We watched it here and are hooked.
One comment that had major mom-bells going off here was when they were reading the letters from home.
One of the young ladies, 15 yrs old, read from her Dad "You're drinking too much"
BINGO!! there's part of the problem daddy...too much? How bout she's too young to drink at ALL, but it sure seems you know about the booze, what have you done to stop it?

This kind of thing drives me nuts. My 10 yr old daughter is ADHD. She is NOT medicated, nor am I willing to medicate her until there is a very valid reason to do so. Her father *we're divorced* and a few of her teachers want her on meds so "she's easier to deal with" yes that's a direct quote. I won't allow that, behavior mods work at home and with a little effort they'd work for those people too. I refuse to raise a child that has no clue how to help herself deal with the real world, cause she's been medicated into conformity.

My 13 yr old told us, after the show was over, that she didn't think any of those kids would have those problems if they lived in our house, they'd be loved and it would be OK. I was floored, and flattered. I'm not a prefect parent, I make tons of mistakes, but I'm there for my kids and they know it. I have a feeling this show is going to do the same thing to me that Nanny 911 and those others do...drive me nuts to the point that I'm yelling at the parents on the tv for letting their kids get to the state they're in =/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karma doesn't come back on people because some universal controller-god pushes buttons. It comes back on people because they dig holes for themselves to fall into.

07-20-05, 10:23 AM (EST)
21. "RE: Brat Camp"
>This kind of thing drives me
>nuts. My 10 yr
>old daughter is ADHD.
>She is NOT medicated, nor
>am I willing to medicate
>her until there is a
>very valid reason to do
>so.

Kudos to you!!! I am so happy to hear that a parent actually wants to be a parent and do the right thing for their child!!!! Don't let the teacher or your ex pressure you into medication. I've actually heard of court cases where the courts made the parents put the children on meds. This is insane! Children with these kinds of problems just need different methods in order to deal with them! You have given hope that there are good parents left out there in the world!

07-20-05, 09:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tamena Click to send private message to Tamena Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Brat Camp"
*blushes*
thank you =)
I try...she's a good kid if a little scattered sometimes. We all suffer from her ADHD, but we all work together to help her too.

Karma doesn't come back on people because some universal controller-god pushes buttons. It comes back on people because they dig holes for themselves to fall into.

bessie 13 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

07-21-05, 02:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bessie Click to send private message to bessie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Brat Camp"
> Don't let the
>teacher or your ex pressure
>you into medication. I've
>actually heard of court cases
>where the courts made the
>parents put the children on
>meds. This is insane!
> Children with these kinds
>of problems just need different
>methods in order to deal
>with them! You have
>given hope that there are
>good parents left out there
>in the world!
>
>
>--Donna :~)

I think that's a little extreme, equating "good parents" with choosing not to put ADHD kids on medication. Many parents have been very pleased with the change in their home lives and their child's school progress when children began medication. I would certainly not call them all "bad parents". If a different method is works for your child, then of course, that's the best choice. I have had several 10 year old students in my classes over the years with ADHD who were either not medicated or went off their meds and you can bet that the atmosphere in the room changes drastically. They disturb other students (sometimes unintentionally), disrupt class activities, and have great difficulty following directions or accomplishing independent tasks (including homework). I guess you would like the teacher to "do his/her job" and fix that, but it just isn't possible to give constant attention to one ADHD child when there are 25 other children in the room ready to learn.

07-21-05, 06:19 PM (EST)
33. "RE: Brat Camp"
OK, so those kids that came off meds..
were they ever given any type of support to deal with the ADHD without the meds or just taken off and left to flounder?

The ones that weren't medicated...
how involved were the parents with those kids?

With our daughter, who is 504'd not classified, I insist in many different forms of communication from school.
I am involved in picking her teachers *I attended the same school system growing up, I know all the admin people here and it helps!*
I insist on a monthly meeting to assess progress and stop problems from growing, I monitor her homework and her behavior. I get weekly e-mailed reports from her teachers and the school councelors on everything she's doing. I get an e-mail every time she misses a homework assignment. I get calls any time, anywhere and they teachers know they can call me whenever they need to, I am ALWAYS available...always. My bosses understand this too...my kids come first
The kid is in therapy with an ADHD councelor/trainer to help her figure out what to do and how to do it. She is held repsonsable for her behaviors and actions on all counts.

As I said, when she gets to the point that she truly needs the meds, then I am willing to start her on them, but I want her to be able to have a choice in the matter and know what is going on.

I'm assuming that Donna has a lot of the same issues I have with kids being medicated. The kids never learn how to help themselves, they're just given a pill and everything goes away. It's a huge problem in this country...everyone wants a quick fix and doesn't want to take responsability for themselves. Passing the buck has become a national past time. This makes me sick.
Much of the problem is ignorance and denial and I almost hate to admit it, but a lot of it is the fault of the parents. With a little effort and education, life with an ADHD kid doesn't have to be hell...it's always chaotic, but it can be wonderful too.

07-22-05, 10:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bessie Click to send private message to bessie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: Brat Camp"
Very few ADHD kids I have taught have the level of support you and your school are providing for your child. The kids who go off meds can be off for various reasons: due to parents wanting to see if anything has changed, having second thoughts about the medication, or having a hectic morning and just forgetting for a day or so. Sometimes the kids complain about having to take the pills or their side effects and the parents feel guilty and stop.

I think it's great that you've had success with your child. I just disagree with your (was that Donna?) labeling parents as "good" just because they choose not to medicate. In many cases in my school the parents who choose not to medicate ADHD kids do very little as an alternative and the kids have great difficulty in school. I would hardly consider those good parents.

07-22-05, 02:24 PM (EST)
39. "RE: Brat Camp"
Trust me, our school wouldn't offer the support if I didn't DEMAND it =)
I understand what you're saying and I don't think Donna was saying only bad parents medicate, IMHO I think she meant that she felt I was a good parent because of my involvement with my daughter.
You're first sentence is a dead give-away

" Very few ADHD kids I have taught have the level of support you and your school are providing for your child."
that's a huge part of the problem right there, a lot parents aren't willing to do what needs to be done to help their kids. You see it as a teacher all the time I'm sure. I see it as a parent constantly and it's frustrating as all get out to deal with.
It all comes back to what the parents are willing to do to help their kids, be it medication or methods like we're using at this point. If you/a parent have a kid with problems, you/a parent have to put in the effort to help them. If you're/a parent's not willing to put in that effort then there's no one else to blame for the problems faced by that child. The child didn't ask to be born with problems, they need help to either over come them or learn to live well with them. In our home at this point we've chosen to try to help our daughter learn self control and discipline. Does she drive me nuts? Usually. Does she talk too much? ALWAYS, but we've given her the tools to be able to recognize and correct the behaviors. When she gets to the point that she needs the meds cause she's having major problems socially and in school, then we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
What I see in this show is parents that didn't stand up and be parents. I see kids with a lot of problems cause no one took the time to teach them what they should be doing and how they should be acting. No one taught them respect, not for themselve or for others. They don't know how to handle themselves nor do they understand the consequences of their actions. They don't care, and that's a really sad thing to see.

07-20-05, 03:17 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Brat Camp"
I wnt too a grade school for learning dissabilties, I have a little ADHD but not much, I have something that causes me too read really well but not comprehend and some kids just can' have medication too help them at all, I have a friend who has too have special teachers if he gonna have success at all. If you have it severe enough you won't even be able too use medication.

07-21-05, 01:25 AM (EST)
26. "I watched it tonight........."
I would say I'm hooked, really enjoyed watching those brats. Those peeps are crazy, I would never want too be friends with any of those bitc*es.

07-21-05, 12:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fox41 Click to send private message to Fox41 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: I watched it tonight........."
>"I would say I'm hooked, really
>enjoyed watching those brats."

And that's just what they are ... Spoiled brats
with parents who don't know what the word
DISCIPLINE means.

07-21-05, 01:02 PM (EST)
31. "RE: I watched it tonight........."
Ditto! There parents need to install a little discipline and thats all it will take.

Are you from Louisville b/c thats the what FOX is called in Louisville, FOX 41!

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings

07-21-05, 10:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "Did not like it."
I thought it was a snoozer.

07-22-05, 11:31 AM (EST)
36. "RE: Did not like it."
Ok, first of all, if you're going to disagree with me, that's fine, but READ what I wrote before throwing your hat into the ring!

I told gave Tamena kudos because she chose to be a parent and didn't just put her child on meds. Parents who choose not to put their kids on meds and leave them with a condition are not good parents either and I never said they were. What I was trying to state was that the MAJORITY of Doctors and parents in this country would rather medicate and forget about it then do the right thing which is harder than medication.

Most of these kids can be helped with therapy and a special diet. My beef isn't with Ritalin, it's with the Dr's and parents who think that's the answer to everything then leave their kids to fend for themselves when they are 18 and go off the stuff and end up being in worse shape then they were when they started taking the stuff.

IMO Ritalin and other meds should only be used as a last resort and with a plan to get the child off it at some point. The problem with parents nowadays is that they are too lazy and don't want to go the extra mile to help their children. Heck, that's the reason that all of these kids are in Brat Camp to begin with. A child will only go as far as the parent will allow. IMO each and every one of the parents that sent their kids there are bad parents. The problem is that the gov't has gotten involved in how we raise our kids and tell us that it's against the law to touch our children. There is a fine line between spanking a child and child abuse. The problem is that parents are now afraid of spanking their children in public for fear of the gov't taking their kids away. These children simply need structure and boundaries on top of a loving home and they will be just fine.

So to wrap up my long, drawn out response... I am not saying that one parent is bad because they put their children on meds or do not put their children on meds. I say a parent is bad for not doing what's best for their child. Sometimes the parents does what's right for themselves instead.

Oh and on a side note, I agree that schools are part of the problem. One of the schools mentioned previously is very rare. My niece who has been on Ritalin for years now who is struggling to not flunk out of school has been sent to 3 different schools and none of the teachers or administrators will contact my brother or his wife. She went down there and told them she can be reached anytime on her cell but she doesn't hear anything til report card time. So many schools are over crowded and the teachers just aren't able to do what they need to do for the kids who need extra help...

07-22-05, 01:32 PM (EST)
37. "RE: Did not like it."
LAST EDITED ON 07-22-05 AT 01:33 PM (EST)

Thank you! You said it all. I agree with you 100%

07-22-05, 02:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
38. "uhhhhhhhh...."
I wasn't replying to you, I was just saying I didn't like it. Maybe you didn't mean to reply to my post. If you were replying to a specific poster, you should reply to their post, not just the last post on the thread.

07-22-05, 02:31 PM (EST)
40. "RE: uhhhhhhhh...."
Sorry, I was replying to "bessie" and I clicked "reply" under that post, but sometimes even when you click on the direct post you want to reply to, it'll still put your post at the bottom... Anyway, nope, I wasn't replying to you. Sorry for the confusion.

07-22-05, 02:42 PM (EST)
41. "RE: uhhhhhhhh...."
Whew, I thought I was being flogged for just saying it wasn't my cup of tea.

07-24-05, 09:22 AM (EST)
43. "RE: ADHD."
>Ok, first of all, if you're
>going to disagree with me,
>that's fine, but READ what
>I wrote before throwing your
>hat into the ring!
>
>I actually did READ what you wrote before I threw my hat into the ring. I was hoping to give my point of view and the perspective that there is more than one way to approach this problem and that I don't think parents who choose medication for their ADD or ADHD children deserve the lazy/bad parent rap. I guess I'll be removing my hat. . .

07-26-05, 02:37 PM (EST)
47. "RE: Did not like it."
Donna? your neice needs help either with a 504 plan or by being classified. The schools can't deny her help if either of those things happen, and if they are not helping you can start with the local school admin and work your way up from there.
Trust me, once you start getting to state level Board Of Ed ppl, the town level guys start getting nervous real fast =)
it works...been there done that and now I own the t-shirt.
Our schools wouldn't be doing the things I make them do if they didn't have to I assure you, her teachers figured out real fast tho it's easier to work with me then try to ignore me or get me to shut up =)

07-26-05, 12:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
44. "Jada"
Jada - the compulsive liar makes me crack up. When she writes home and her hair is falling out and they are making her eat and drink till she gets sick and she is always going to die. Then she ends by saying her hand is broken and she can't write anymore. She just doesn't quit with the lying does she?

07-26-05, 02:24 PM (EST)
45. "RE: Jada"
Do you think the parents had to sign a waiver before their kids went into this program??? I'm thinking that more than one parent has tried in the past to yank their child out of Sage Walk after getting letters. Some parents don't have the stomach for tough love (another reason their kids are in this mess)... Do you think they have to give up custody or something like that until the program is over? I have a family member who could really benefit from this program, but there is no way that her mom would allow her to stay in it reading those kinds of letters...

Any thoughts?

07-26-05, 02:37 PM (EST)
46. "RE: Jada"
I'm sure the parents were told what the first letters from their kids would be like. They will be begging to come home and using guilt on the parents.

I don't think anyone could make a person sign a contract that says you can never take your kid out of this environment. They are minors and not prisoners. But I'm sure the parents are also meeting with therapists that are telling them that the best for the kids is to complete the entire program. And I think most parents were looking for an answer and were desperate to do something. Or they would have never tricked their children into this in the first place. So I would expect they will leave their children in the program. This is kind of like their final hope for their kids to turn their lives around.

I hope at the end we get a follow-up on which kids did turn their lives around after this program and which ones didn't.

07-26-05, 02:40 PM (EST)
48. "RE: Jada"
They did mention in the show that the councelors contact the parents after the first letters come home. I think the comment was something about calming the parents down.

I'd love to know when this was all actually filmed. I'm assuming it was last fall/winter so all we'd be able to get would be a 1 year update...I'd like to see where these kids are in 5 years personally =)

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings

07-26-05, 08:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
49. "RE: Jada"
www.sagewalk.com

That's their link. This program (the one these kids are enrolled in) is over $20,000 per kid (grants and loans are available) and includes parental counseling. They can also go back if there is a relapse. They have some different levels & types of programs - including some that include the family along with the kid (none are cheap). All counselors have, at least, a Masters degree. Many are PhD's. All the info about intake, what they do, etc. is there. Makes an interesting read.

07-27-05, 09:38 AM (EST)
50. "RE: Jada"
$20,000! HOLY COW! I never would have thought it was that much... (Leaves out one of my family members from going! ROFL)

Hmmm, $20,000 to go on a month-long camping trip...

07-27-05, 10:41 AM (EST)
51. "RE: Brat Camp"

The 20,000 should be used to buy the weak a$$ parents
a SPINE. They sure as hell need one!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •