The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
""How people vote" discussion"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

lovwigglesworth 239 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-07-05, 02:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail lovwigglesworth Click to send private message to lovwigglesworth Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
""How people vote" discussion"
I have been wrong two weeks in a row now on trying to pick the bottom three because, silly me, has been presuming this competition is based on talent. I am exagerating of course because we all have always known there are other factors involved. So I'm interested in what we all think those "other factors" are. I'll start and hopefully others will care to join in.
Factor 1: Talent, I have to have faith that this is still the main reason the majority of people vote for someone. Although the contestant who has done the worst musically, if we look at each week individually, has probably been the boot less than 50 percent of the time.
Factor 2: Looks and "Coolness"- The look and the attitude definately are reasons people vote. Not necessarily attractive (see Ruben) but some kind of hipness that draws others to them.
Factor 3: Genre- If you like R&B, you are more likely to vote for an R&B type singer, or country, or rock, and so on. I personally like all kinds of music, but there are people who just hate a particular kind who just hate a certain type and would never vote for someone who personifies that type of music.
Factor 4: A direct competition. I think Jessica is a good example of this. She and Carrie were so much alike, the people who voted for type of contestant had to choose between the two, and most of them chose Carrie. I tend to think this is what happened to Jennifer last year as well.
Factor 5: Sympathy. We have all heard the stories. And sometimes people will get attached, I guess. But how far can this take someone.
Factor 6: The Haters. I've read other boards and it seems there are some people out there that just watch the show to make fun of it and actually vote for the bad performances on purpose. I just hope these people are not that much influence.

So I don't know, really. I just can't think of a good reason why anyone voted for Scott or Anthony this week. Yet there they are, still going to sing for us again next week.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: "How people vote" discussion nailbone 04-07-05 1
   RE: "How people vote" discussion Flairmarq 04-07-05 2
       RE: "How people vote" discussion nicola 04-10-05 4
       RE: "How people vote" discussion seahorse 04-10-05 5
 RE: "How people vote" discussion niteowl 04-07-05 3

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-07-05, 03:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: "How people vote" discussion"
I like your breakdown, but I'd rearrange it a bit.

I think "Looks and Coolness" and "Genre" come before "Talent". In fact, "Direct Competition" and "Sympathy" play a bigger part than "Talent", too.

People vote for their favorites based on looks and musical style, no matter how poorly they do on a particular night. Bo is my favorite and I'd vote for him even though he gakked up "Musical Theater" night, because I like his style and I know this week was the aberration. And as their faves get voted out, or if they don't have a particular fave to begin with, "Sympathy" plays a bigger role for them.

"Direct Competition" will play a role until the field is narrowed sufficiently for the archetypes to separate out completely.

"Haters" not so much, I think, cuz I think that's actually a pretty small percentage.

As contestants get weeded out because of "Competition" and "Sympathy", "Genre" becomes less of a factor as well because there are less different types to choose from. That's where the "Coolness" factor comes in. When you get to the final three, four, or even five, the "Talent" part levels out, cuz they're all good. And in the case of this bunch, that talent-leveling is coming even sooner.

New from Sigs by Syren!!

Keep lookin' up, cuz that's where it all is. o-

Flairmarq 303 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

04-07-05, 04:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Flairmarq Click to send private message to Flairmarq Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: "How people vote" discussion"
I would also say Home state pride is a factor as well. I think this is why Scott is staying (him being from Ohio and we know how presidential candidates feel about Ohio).

Another is the younger fans, who do take look into consideration. I see that Anthony has a tween fan base, hence why Anthony is still around. Tween girls have a tendancy to like boys closer to their age.

Another is the "I like two people" factor, where they see that one of their favs are struggling, and vote for them rather than vote for the better of the two, figuring the better one is safe because others will vote for him/her. This is what I assumed happened to Jessica.

But once one drops, the votes open up for others to vote for another. I think around five we should see the voting equal out.

"The Simon of the Wabash Valley"

nicola 30 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-10-05, 11:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nicola Click to send private message to nicola Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: "How people vote" discussion"
>Another is the "I like two
>people" factor, where they see
>that one of their favs
>are struggling, and vote for
>them rather than vote for
>the better of the two,
>figuring the better one is
>safe because others will vote
>for him/her.

arent you allowed to vote for more than one person? ive always voted just once so i dont know, but is it possible?

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-10-05, 06:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: "How people vote" discussion"
You are right about home state pride or area pride having a big impact also.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

niteowl 199 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-07-05, 07:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail niteowl Click to send private message to niteowl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: "How people vote" discussion"

>Factor 3: Genre

Are you sure you don't mean "gen-dra"? lol

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •