The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"On the other hand --"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-18-06, 08:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"On the other hand --"
-- does any team that managed to come in last twice really deserve to win the Race? I sort of don't hate BJ & Tyler as people, and you might be inclined to give them a semi-pass on that three-way dash for the second non-elimination mat. (I would if it wasn't for the alternate path issue. And maybe the shoes.) And sure, it's a nice story when someone comes back from the PhilMugging twice. But when you finish in the 'I'm -- pleased to tell you' twice, once on merit and once because of one of those last-second bad judgments on which the Race generally pivots -- did you really earn the right to be in the Final Three at all?

Look, I generally give a pass to whatever team gets the last mugging -- if the robbery takes place during the finale. They've already made Final Three, the producers want to add a little drama to the show, and someone's got to be the victim. But landing on both of what IceCat effectively called the lottery slots isn't just luck, it's lack of skill.

I'm sort of glad for BJ & Tyler as people. As Racers -- very, very mixed.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: On the other hand -- Max Headroom 05-18-06 1
 RE: On the other hand -- ARnutz 05-18-06 2
   RE: On the other hand -- samboohoo 05-18-06 9
 RE: On the other hand -- Jims02 05-18-06 3
 RE: On the other hand -- Lisa0116 05-18-06 4
 RE: On the other hand -- Tahj 05-18-06 5
   RE: On the other hand -- Estee 05-18-06 6
 RE: On the other hand -- cahaya 05-18-06 7
   RE: On the other hand -- Lasann 05-18-06 8
   RE: On the other hand -- samboohoo 05-18-06 10
 Another Point samboohoo 05-18-06 11
 RE: On the other hand -- mikey 05-18-06 12
 RE: On the other hand -- Karchita 05-18-06 13
 RE: On the other hand -- Earl Colby Pottinger 05-18-06 14

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings

05-18-06, 09:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: On the other hand --"
I agree completely. BJ and Tyler were clearly the second-best racers of the final three, even down to the relative arrival times at the final flag roadblock, but they pulled through when they needed to. Deserving winners? Not. Apparently decent people? Yes.

ARnutz 13937 desperate attention whore postings

05-18-06, 09:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ARnutz Click to send private message to ARnutz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: On the other hand --"
Honestly, I felt a little deflated when they won. I liked them well enough as people and was very glad the sore loser frats didn't win, but I was really rooting for Ray & Yolanda.

Plus... I understand that with the freezing cold temps of the last legs, it's a safety issue for them to require cold weather clothing, but gee... you get stripped of your belongings and it doesn't matter because we'll just give you new stuff!

Oh well... at least they aren't the asswipe race winners that some seasons had. *cough*Freddy/Kendra*cough*Flo/Zach*cough*

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

05-18-06, 02:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: On the other hand --"
LAST EDITED ON 05-18-06 AT 02:25 PM (EST)

RAY grew on me. I did not like them at the beginning, especially when he made her do the high dive challenge.

Flo and Zach, Uggghhh. It still pisses me off that she pretty much quit during the one rowing task and they still managed to "complete the task." If I recall correctly, she wasn't the one who did the rowing, it was some other guy.

And I think you may like Chip and Kim, but I thought Kim was one of the least deserving winners. Chip, yes. Kim didn't do jack.

ETA: I was very pleased with the Hippies' win.

It's Arkie Love

Jims02 7407 desperate attention whore postings

05-18-06, 09:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Jims02 Click to send private message to Jims02 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: On the other hand --"
Yeah. I kinda felt the same way. I didn't really like Eric and Jeremy that much, but I did think they were by far the superior races, especially coming down the final stretch. I'm especially conflicted, since I thought Eric and Jeremy had a better final leg overall than the hippies.

But BJ and Tyler are cool guys, so I don't mind their win.

Lisa0116 688 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-18-06, 10:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Lisa0116 Click to send private message to Lisa0116 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: On the other hand --"
I liked the hippies and I wanted them to win. I thought they had a great time on the race. Whether or not they lost in a non elimination round (or two) is not the question-they did well during much of the race and they were first at the end. I didn't like the frat boys (the ambiguously gay duo) and they were pretty poor losers at the finish.

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

05-18-06, 11:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: On the other hand --"
Yeah, even though they came in first 3 times (four counting the final) and second three times, they should have done the right thing and just dropped out for coming in last twice.

Moves courtesy of Syren

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

05-18-06, 11:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: On the other hand --"
Well, in that casez, Eric & Jeremy should have quit on the spot the first time they didn't get a prize.

Remember their faces? They came really close to walking away right there.

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

05-18-06, 12:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: On the other hand --"
No doubt E&J were more consistent than BJ&T, but when it came to the crunch, BJ&T came out ahead. BJ&T matched or beat them on most of the physical challenges (the wading through the stream and the paddleboating in the final episode are examples), and beat them on the Final Jeopardy category "Flags of the Race" challenge. Both teams had superior navigation skills and were up to the physical challenges, and had the final challenge been a physical task, it looks like E&J would have won it.

Sure, BJ&T got lucky. Luck is frequently part of the race, and they took advantage of what luck (or karma) came their way, all the way to winning the race.

I'm glad they won!

An Arkie Asian creation, with Foo dog images by Bob.

Lasann 3616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

05-18-06, 12:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lasann Click to send private message to Lasann Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: On the other hand --"
As Cahaya said. And they did come back from dirty last (no money, clothes) to the top. I wish it would have happened to E/J once to see if they could have recovered as well. I think not, but have no proof.

Heaven on Earth! That’s me lying on the beach *giggle*

05-18-06, 02:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: On the other hand --"
BJ also had some pretty bad luck at that digging challenge.

It's Arkie Love

05-18-06, 02:30 PM (EST)
11. "Another Point"
BJ and Tyler, IMO, were always good sports. Always. I never don't ever recall them saying things like, "Damn those hippies" or "I hate the hippies, etc."

They strategically used the Yield, which is part of the game. They never gave up, ever.

It's Arkie Love

mikey 1150 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

05-18-06, 03:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mikey Click to send private message to mikey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: On the other hand --"
Second Place teams, in 5 of the 9 races I would place them as clearly stronger than the teams that actually won (see asterix's for the 5):

1. Frank & Margherita
2. Tara and Will *
3. Ian and Teri
4. Jon and Kelly
5. Colin and Christie *
6. Jon and Kris *
7. Romber *
8. Bransens
9. Eric and Jeremy *

Karchita 4483 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

05-18-06, 05:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Karchita Click to send private message to Karchita Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: On the other hand --"
Luck is a huge component in TAR, with good luck helping as much as bad luck doing teams in.

The hippies were lucky to be in the final three, but so was everyone else. Luck has helped probably every team in the whole history of the race to make it that far. I don't think it's fair to complain about a specific type of good luck, ie, non-elimiation. A team could get lucky in finding a taxi quicker and avoid elimination that way, so are you going to complain about any team that wins and had that happen? There isn't even a penalty when that happens.

Bad luck has eliminated many teams. Would it have been fair if BJ&T had been eliminated because of bad luck in that digging challenge? Luck is a huge part of TAR. You have to figure that luck always plays a part and all teams are subject to the same potential of good and bad luck. So what I want to see is a team that works well together and runs a smart race. The Hippies and Frats both did that.

I think people are happy about their win because they ran a good race, were upbeat, likeable, and entertaining. The luck is a non-issue. It also helps that in the final legs, they beat out one team (Frats) who were bad sports and were a lot less likable and another (Rayo) that were likeable, but didn't run a consistently good race and bickered.

Earl Colby Pottinger 2597 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

05-18-06, 11:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to send private message to Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: On the other hand --"
I would like to point out that E&J were at the flags long before the hippies. They already had flags planted when the hippies arrived.

This meant E&J were ahead at the start of the last task, there was no element of luck in the last task and yet the hippies beat them.

E&J failed themselves, no-one else - they had all that was needed to win and the mistakes that cost them the million truely were thier own.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •