The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Archetypes"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-06-05, 05:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Archetypes"
ar•che•type (NOUN):

1. An original model or type after which other similar things are patterned; a prototype 2. An ideal example of a type; an archetype of the successful entrepreneur.

It seems like we have far more contestants this year that fit an musical archetype than we have in the past. Bo is the rocker. Carrie is the country singer. Nikko is the R&B singer. Constantine is the pop singer. Vonzell is turning into the diva. Anwar is the jazzy guy. Nadia is the funky girl. Only Anthony and Scott don’t fit a standard musical archetype, unless you count Aiken-wannabe or soulful thug as archetypes.

There are several questions this brings to mind. First, is the reason the competition this season is so much better than past seasons directly due to the fact that the performers know who they are as singers? Is that why the competition last season was so crappy, cause the performers, even the eventual final two, didn’t really have an idea who they were as singers? Is it just coincidence that the two worst singers left this season are the two singers who don’t really have a musical identity of their own? Once Scott and Anthony are gone, might it become a battle of which style of singing the audience prefers rather than the singers themselves?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Archetypes DearAbby 04-06-05 1
 RE: Archetypes TeamJoisey 04-06-05 2
 RE: Archetypes ginger 04-06-05 3
 RE: Archetypes TODDLJ 04-06-05 4

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

DearAbby 3008 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-06-05, 06:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DearAbby Click to send private message to DearAbby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Archetypes"

>Only Anthony and Scott don’t fit a standard musical archetype,
>unless you count Aiken-wannabe or soulful thug as archetypes.

*snort*

TeamJoisey 3558 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

04-06-05, 06:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TeamJoisey Click to send private message to TeamJoisey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Archetypes"
Archietypes: Freckled redheaded dweebs.(See Stevens, John.) Often found in proximity to Jughead. (See Weasel, Devious and the Lohan Two.)

These reality show contestants need a reality check!

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-06-05, 06:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Archetypes"
I wonder if the fact that this group is "older" is why so many more singers seem to have "found their identities" (archetypes). As an ancient and decrepit person myself, I was going to point to the maturity/experience of the group overall as a reason for the superiority in candidate field (this season over the last three).

To some extent, people seem to vote the "type" they like, but I can't honestly say what archetype Clay was, at least for the first two thirds of his season, so I think it's really more a gut level reaction to an individual candidate that drives voters (as well as misc. outside factors, like being from the same state or feeling sorry for a candidate).

When the singers risk going outside their archetype, they are sometimes lauded, but most often fail. You would think this would point to a weakness in the "typed" candidates and a greater flexibilty among the others. But, ultimately, I think you're right; the confidence of the singer that knows his/her niche triumphs over experimentation.

So in answer to Prof. Weasel's queries:

Yes, at least in part.
Yes, at least in part. Or maybe they were just crappier.
Nope.
Yep.

Good food for thought. What's for dessert?

TODDLJ 421 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

04-06-05, 06:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TODDLJ Click to send private message to TODDLJ Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Archetypes"
Very much agreed, Weasel. Much has been made in the past about vote-splitting, and I think this ties into your discussion.

Anthony tried to do the pop-boy thing, but Constantine may have now replaced him. Scott tried to do the R&B 'White Ruben' thing, but was not successful, and Nikko has those votes now.

I worry about Nadia, because her 'funky girl' title isn't a very clear archetype. I imagine Vonzell is now capturing votes which used to be Nadia's... and eventually Nadia will fall due to this.

When we're left with Country Carrie, Pop Connie, R&B Nikko, Jazz Anwar and Soul 'Diva' Vonzell, then things should get interesting. My bet is that there are more sheer voter numbers in Pop and Country than in Soul, Jazz, or R&B.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •