The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Are there REAL SO houses?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Starting Over General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Pinkster 159 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

10-12-05, 02:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Pinkster Click to send private message to Pinkster Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Are there REAL SO houses?"
I think a Starting Over house situation would be good for me.

Not very interested in doing a TV show though.

I wonder if there is anything like a PRIVATE S.O. house. (Other than mental health facilities, half-houses etc..)

Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness. -Maya Angelou

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Are there REAL SO houses? Carn3 10-12-05 1
   RE: Are there REAL SO houses? Sharon_L 10-12-05 4
       RE: Are there REAL SO houses? Carn3 10-13-05 11
           RE: Are there REAL SO houses? angelami1937 10-15-05 13
 RE: Are there REAL SO houses? jdnp 10-12-05 2
   RE: Are there REAL SO houses? Sharon_L 10-12-05 5
 RE: Are there REAL SO houses? Sharon_L 10-12-05 3
   RE: Are there REAL SO houses? Pinkster 10-12-05 6
       RE: Are there REAL SO houses? Dear Debby 10-13-05 7
 RE: Are there REAL SO houses? queendiva 10-13-05 8
   RE: Are there REAL SO houses? Sharon_L 10-13-05 9
       RE: Are there REAL SO houses? atzd 10-13-05 10
 RE: Are there REAL SO houses? Imogen01 10-15-05 12
   RE: Are there REAL SO houses? atzd 10-16-05 14
       RE: Are there REAL SO houses? CarlyBaby 10-17-05 15
           RE: Are there REAL SO houses? atzd 10-17-05 16

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Carn3 174 desperate attention whore postings

10-12-05, 10:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Carn3 Click to send private message to Carn3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Are there REAL SO houses?"
IV was training Kimmie and her daughter to be LC`s a while back-they might have opened up their own "Starting Over" house by now.

Sharon_L 260 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

10-12-05, 10:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sharon_L Click to send private message to Sharon_L Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Are there REAL SO houses?"
>IV was training Kimmie and her
>daughter to be LC`s a
>while back-they might have opened
>up their own "Starting Over"
>house by now.

You're joking, of course. I heard that rumor but I seriously doubt it'll ever come true.

Carn3 174 desperate attention whore postings

10-13-05, 09:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Carn3 Click to send private message to Carn3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Are there REAL SO houses?"
>>IV was training Kimmie and her
>>daughter to be LC`s a
>>while back-they might have opened
>>up their own "Starting Over"
>>house by now.
>
>You're joking, of course. I heard
>that rumor but I seriously
>doubt it'll ever come true.
>

LOL Actually, no, I wasnt kidding-if you go to Kimmie`s website, she talks about how she is training to be a LC under IV, and says if you are in need of a LC, to let her know.

angelami1937 80 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

10-15-05, 07:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail angelami1937 Click to send private message to angelami1937 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Are there REAL SO houses?"
I wonder what having Kimmy as a life coach would be like? Some how I keep seeing makeup lessons, fashion tips, tennis lessons, plate throwing and the comment" I knew that was going to happen" be part of the curiculum. LOL

jdnp 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

10-12-05, 10:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jdnp Click to send private message to jdnp Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Are there REAL SO houses?"
I was wondering the same thing. I've thought of calling a certified life coach (found on Rhonda's webpage) and asking them. Or at least ask them how they coach you (if it is similiar to the show).

Saying I'd like to 'start over' sounds a little extreme/dramatic to me. I'd just like to get over a few hang-ups in my life that are holding me back. There are so many books between Iyanla and Rhonda. I've wondered 'where do I start'. I read somewhere using a life coach speeds the process up by 20 years compared to doing it on your own.

10-12-05, 10:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sharon_L Click to send private message to Sharon_L Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Are there REAL SO houses?"
I read somewhere
>using a life coach speeds
>the process up by 20
>years compared to doing it
>on your own.

I'm sure that's true in some cases. But I'd be very careful about investing time and money into someone who wasn't a licensed and experienced counselor or coach. Hope if you decide to go that route you check out their qualifications and background. Background, especially.

10-12-05, 10:49 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Are there REAL SO houses?"
Interesting question. I think I've read there are ranches and other facilities that lean toward self-improvement programs but I can't name a one, sorry. Maybe Google would be a good place to start looking.

Of course there are scads of courses, workshops and community programs that are available. In my area, our hospitals seems to run a lot of self-help, groups, too. You could also call around to the churches. Not sure, but it's a good question.

Maybe someone else here can offer other suggestions.

Pinkster 159 desperate attention whore postings

10-12-05, 11:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Pinkster Click to send private message to Pinkster Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Are there REAL SO houses?"
Thanks everyone for your comments.

I've certainly gone to therapists before... with limited success.

What I like about the Starting Over HOUSE... is that you're in a community --- away from the everyday crap and habitual atmosphere. Your there just to work on YOU (as well as support and learn from your roomates with similar endevours.).

I would love to go away and get a chance to "reboot".

Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness. -Maya Angelou

Dear Debby 64 desperate attention whore postings

10-13-05, 08:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Dear%20Debby Click to send private message to Dear%20Debby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Are there REAL SO houses?"
Pinkster
I thought of the same thing. A SO house without the TV. The only problem is the cost of running such a house without the productions money. Most would not be able to afford such a place. It probably wouldn't be that difficult to find counselors for the right price, but how could you maintain the cost of the house? What would it take to have hospitalization to cover the cost of the Doctors? I believe this type of help would benefit people more than the one on one counseling once a week for an hour. Being with others in a daily setting allows you to see and help others with different problems, while they assist you in meeting your own goals! There could be different houses for different groups of people. Couples houses, houses for women....and what about houses for men??? If houses like this ever do become available, I'll bet they will be full all the time with people....this is going to be the new fad for help.

queendiva 2 desperate attention whore postings

10-13-05, 05:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail queendiva Click to send private message to queendiva Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Are there REAL SO houses?"
I know, I always say the same thing...I would love to experience that, but I would hate to be on t.v.

10-13-05, 06:25 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Are there REAL SO houses?"
LAST EDITED ON 10-13-05 AT 06:27 PM (EST)

If you enter the keywords on Goggle, "retreats women" there are a zillion links. Retreats seems to be a broad word that includes anything from a few hours to several days, even weeks.

A clone of SOH might very well exist somewhere.

good luck, ladies.

atzd 83 desperate attention whore postings

10-13-05, 06:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail atzd Click to send private message to atzd Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Are there REAL SO houses?"
LAST EDITED ON 10-13-05 AT 06:57 PM (EST)

I once went to visit someone at a rehab facility and got to participate for two days. It was very similar. They had two group meetings a day, meetings with personal therapists, special assignments. (I loved it so much, if I wouldn't have a kid that I'd miss like crazy, I would've signed up). But you have to find the right one. Most are tough love places for people with serious problems such as alcohol or drugs, but I believe there are some others out there.

Imogen01 4 desperate attention whore postings

10-15-05, 01:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Imogen01 Click to send private message to Imogen01 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Are there REAL SO houses?"
LAST EDITED ON 10-15-05 AT 01:34 PM (EST)

I would recommend finding a therapist who provides group therapy in the form of open-ended process groups (focuses on life and relationships and such, as opposed to say, a 10 week group for all sexual abuse survivors). If you want individual therapy as well, you could find an individual therapist who also brings clients together for group once a week as well, so you have the same therapist for individual and group. This way you can work on your issues over a longer period of time which lets you practice new behaviors in your real world, and you don't have to leave your job and family. And I'm not bashing the SO house, but there are obviously pros and cons to SO. And if you are more interested in the life coach approach, you can try to find a life coach who offers similar services and/or find a therapist who also life coaches or one with a more life-coach like approach (eg. Reality Therapy).

Finally, if you are into "new age", there are yoga retreat centers and other places where you can respite for months at a time, but this is costly, and doesn't really provide therapeutic support outside of spiritual and physical renewal from a healthy environment (which can be powerful in itself).

10-16-05, 11:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail atzd Click to send private message to atzd Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Are there REAL SO houses?"
I agree with Imogen, for most people, including myself it would be extremely hard to leave their family for an extended period. I would definitely seek out a therapist rather than a life coach. Make sure that she/he has the proper credentials and has experience. There are lots of lousy therapists out there.

CarlyBaby 10 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

10-17-05, 09:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail CarlyBaby Click to send private message to CarlyBaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Are there REAL SO houses?"
>I would definitely
>seek out a therapist rather
>than a life coach.
>Make sure that she/he has
>the proper credentials and has
>experience. There are lots
>of lousy therapists out there.

AMEN to THIS!!!! Yes there are dosens of therapists who are in it for the money!!!!! My high school psychology teacher used to say to us "a close friend can help you get on your feet & you can help them by being real by saying to them maybe we need to work on this issue & you use we so they don't feel alone!!!!!" I wish I had listened to her advice one year after graduation I had her Senior year....

Lets say leave a gap from 2001 - 2005 & now my friends & I go out on Fridays & we laugh & have a great time sometimes getting on serious issues.... But we are always apt to help serve each other in any way we can!!!!! I don't think the degree in this or that is the thing. It's you and your friends sayin' yes, we've seen hell been there done that now we're helping each other move on....

I'm not trying to step on toes here & if I did by expressing that comment may I please beg forgiveness. Starting another SO house would be really awesome.... but for now eating out of Fridays or sitting around my friends table talking about our hopes dreams & worries is what we've got & it's helped me personally grow more than the therapy ever did.... W/ this I was able to talk to my doctor who told me to get a dog & get off all psych meds & I did that - w/ friends you really can get anything done!!!!!

10-17-05, 11:37 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Are there REAL SO houses?"
A bad therapist can do more harm than your mother if she tried her hardest, but with the right therapist, the process can be a life changing experience. Of course, friends are great too, but good ones are hard to come by.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •