The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Rankings - Finals Week Four"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-05-05, 01:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Rankings - Finals Week Four"
Use this thread to post your rankings of tonight's performances.

After the show airs, of course...

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four seahorse 04-06-05 1
 RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four robyn12 04-06-05 2
   RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four lovwigglesworth 04-06-05 21
 RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four Corvis 04-06-05 3
   RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four geekboy 04-06-05 4
   RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four BriarRosie 04-06-05 9
       RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four nailbone 04-06-05 29
 RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four weird al 04-06-05 5
   RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four duff161821 04-06-05 34
 RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four mrc 04-06-05 6
   RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four seahorse 04-06-05 7
       RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four mrc 04-06-05 10
 Hated the theme Breezy 04-06-05 8
   RE: Hated the theme Glow 04-06-05 11
       RE: Hated the theme Breezy 04-06-05 12
 RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four Devious Weasel 04-06-05 13
 RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four Ricky 04-06-05 14
 Moot, really. Harrison 04-06-05 15
   RE: Moot, really. geekboy 04-06-05 16
       RE: Moot, really. nailbone 04-06-05 30
 Thoughts AyaK 04-06-05 17
   RE: Thoughts mrc 04-06-05 18
       I understand AyaK 04-06-05 35
   RE: Thoughts ginger 04-06-05 19
       RE: Thoughts Tahj 04-06-05 28
       RE: Thoughts nailbone 04-06-05 31
           RE: Thoughts ginger 04-06-05 32
 RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four lovwigglesworth 04-06-05 20
 RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four udg 04-06-05 22
 RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four emydi 04-06-05 23
 RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four TODDLJ 04-06-05 24
   RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four Devious Weasel 04-06-05 25
   RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four ginger 04-06-05 26
   One comment AyaK 04-06-05 36
 RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four Smiley11 04-06-05 27
 RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four true 04-06-05 33

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-05, 00:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four"
1 Vonzell
2 Constantine
3 Anwar
4 Nadia
5 Bo
6 Carrie
7 Nikko
8 Scott
9 Anthony

robyn12 41 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-06-05, 01:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail robyn12 Click to send private message to robyn12 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four"

9. Scott
8. Anthony
7. Nadia
6. Anwar
5. Nikko
4. Vonzell
3. Bo
2. Carrie
1. Constantine

lovwigglesworth 239 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-06-05, 02:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail lovwigglesworth Click to send private message to lovwigglesworth Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four"
Robyn,
I didn't notice you had your numbers opposite at first and was quite taken aback by Scott being the first person on the list. Who in their right mind would think he was the best last night!?
Had to laugh at myself a minute.

Corvis 3130 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-06-05, 02:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Corvis Click to send private message to Corvis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four"
This was a painful week for me as they chose the worst songs from a genre I love. So many good musicals out there and there's a song from freakin' Camelot?! And why Bo didn't do a song from Rent or Tommy, I will never understand. Anyway, here we go...

1. Constantine. He's the smartest competitor in the top 12. He picks the perfect song every week.

2. Vonzell. She is growing while many of the other performers are stuck at the same level. For some, like Bo, that level is so high, it doesn't matter yet. However, if Vonzell continues rising each week, she could end up winning this thing.

3. Bo. Consistently good, although this particular performance was not that memorable.

4. Nadia. Still one of the better performers out there. I wish she'd pick better songs.

5. Carrie. Yes, she can sing, but she couldn't give a song away, let alone sell it.

6. Anwar. One of the better voices, but still boring me.

7. Nikko. I just don't like his voice AND he's boring me.

8. Anthony. Terrible, terrible rendition of the song. And he messed up the words on one verse. It's ford every stream, Anthony, not every tree. I'd like to see you ford a tree.

9. Scott. That was the worst rendition of Impossible Dream I have ever heard. I could have sung it better and I can't sing a note. I pray, pray, pray he goes home this week. I can't stand the thought of listening to him again.

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

04-06-05, 07:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four"
I agree with almost all of what Corvis has said, so why repeat.

I would swap Scott and Anthony, i think its time for Anthony to go home. He's been consistantly worse than Scott, but i agree with your bottom 3.

I don't know if i'd put Vonzell at #2 though, perhaps swap Vonzell and Nadia?

It was a disappointing week, that's a given.

geekboy

BriarRosie 990 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

04-06-05, 08:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail BriarRosie Click to send private message to BriarRosie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four"
I think there's a very good reason why you didn't hear anything
from Rent. Constantine told Ryan that "....they wouldn't allow
us to pick anything modern." Constantine mentioned that he
was in the touring production of "Rent", so that would have
been a strong choice for him, had he been allowed to sing a
song from that show.

Abrupt change of subject:
Even though Bo's vocals weren't that strong, he still has some
mojo over me.

And Paula was less lushy!

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-05, 05:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four"
Abrupt change of subject:
Even though Bo's vocals weren't that strong, he still has some
mojo over me.

Me too! I don't care where he finishes. I'll buy any CD they put out for him.

New from Sigs by Syren!!

Keep lookin' up, cuz that's where it all is. o-

weird al 19 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-06-05, 07:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail weird%20al Click to send private message to weird%20al Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four"
1. Carrie - clearly the best vocal performance of the bunch. I agree with the judges that it wasn't the best song choice, but she made it better than the song had any right to be.

2. Nikko - I disagree with Simon in that I thought the early part was great, whereas the later R&B stylings were a little off. But clearly very strong in both vocals and stage presence. I would recommend that he avoid the suit and hat for future performances, and that outfit was truly puzzling for a West Side Story song.

3. Anwar - I thought his voice would be good for a show tune, and he did not disappoint. He still seems a little uncomfortable with the big stage and audience.

4. Vonzell - good, but not great. It wasn't a good song choice, as it is one of the most overplayed songs ever. She sang well, but didn't really connect on an emotional level.

5. Nadia - she did much better vocally than I thought she would for a show tune. But her theatrics were quite a bit off. Having facial expressions like she's in pain and sudden twists of the neck is fine for R&B songs, but not for a love ballad.

6. Bo - I agree completely with Simon. The last two weeks have been very much subpar for him. He really should have thought of something else besides picking a song at random. Pretty good (not great) stage presence, but didn't have any vocal range or feeling behind the performance. He's in no danger now, but one more bad performance and I'll start worrying.

7. Scott - started way too high pitched for the song and had nowhere to go from there. And he really had no feeling behind what was supposed to be an emotional song.

8. Anthony - could hardly hear him at the beginning, was off-pitch in the middle and only got somewhat better at the end. I think what annoys many people is that he has basically the same mannerisms in every song. At serious risk of being voted out.

9. Constantine - OK, his vocals weren't bad. But every time he makes puppy dog eyes at the camera, I cringe and have an intense desire to #####-slap him. I've disliked singers before, but he is the only one that I've found physically revolting. Please, please, please get him off now!!!

duff161821 8 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

04-06-05, 07:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail duff161821 Click to send private message to duff161821 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four"
yes thank you i think anthony and constantine are both horrible and would LOVE for them to get booted! Constantine thinks hes sooooo cute but hes not hes got to go and Anthony is just a girly boy and the last thing we need is another clay aiken. i think the other two ppl to go should be nikko and nadia though

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-05, 08:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four"
1. Carrie
2. Nadia
3. Vonzell
4. Anwar
5. Bo
6. Nikko
7. Anthony
8. Constantine
9. Scott

Strange how a guy was supposed to win, but the consistently good performers are the gals.

A Nefarious Dice Creation

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-05, 08:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four"
But remember three gals are gone already. So your looking at the top 3 gals against a top 6 guys and that doesn't even count Mario who dropped out and would still be around otherwise.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

04-06-05, 09:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four"
But look at who the three were. With the exception of Jessica, none of them had a real chance to be in the top 5, much less a chance of winning. I think the weak guys will be weeded out next.

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-05, 08:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "Hated the theme"
Holy Canoli! I can't believe who I rank first.

1. Constantine- picked the right song and sang it great.
2. Bo *swoon*
3. Carrie- she needs to start showing a personality though.
4. Vonzel
5. Anwar
6. Nadia- loved the dress.
7. Nikko
8. Scott
9. Anthony

Save a horse, ride a cowboy. Sigpic by Syren.

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-05, 09:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Hated the theme"
Mine is pretty close except I'd say 5 Nadia, 6 Nikko, and 7 Anwar.
I'll ditto your comments on Constantine, Bo and Carrie too.

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-05, 09:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Hated the theme"
I'm pretty flexible on those three. I do say either Scott or Anthony go home tonight though.

Save a horse, ride a cowboy. Sigpic by Syren.

04-06-05, 09:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four"
Tier 1

Constantine – Great song choice sung wonderfully. I agree with Randy – he needs to ditch the rocker personality.

Vonzell – Ditto. The only reason I rank her below Constantine is because he felt the song better than she felt hers.

Nikko – Tough song to sing, yet he pulled it off. A little rough at the start.

Tier 2

Nadia – Okay. I realize she is technically perfect. But man, would it hurt to throw some heart into it?

Carrie – It strikes me that the thing that separates off Tier 1 tonight from everyone else is that the three people I put in Tier 1 made great song choices and everyone – everyone – else made horrible song choices. “Hello Young Lovers”. Bleh. In fact, I’ll see that bleh and raise it a ech.

Anwar – Better than he’s been. That’s not saying much.

Tier 3

Bo – Bo? Was not meant to sing anything from Pippin. Ever.

Anthony – Week after week Anthony is just barely saved from my bottom spot because there is always someone doing worse. This week is no exception. But Anthony? Is not good.

Scott – Maybe he should have asked the vocal coach for song choice selection assistance instead of his mom. His ham-fisted attempt (mmm – Ham) to win sympathy by pointing out that his dream is impossible didn’t work for me.

Should Go

Based on week in, week out svckitude, it should be Anthony. But I’ll be happy with Scott, too.

Ricky 1106 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-06-05, 10:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Ricky Click to send private message to Ricky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four"
1) Carrie (best voice in the competition by far)
2) Consty (he's better as a thesbian than a rocker)
3) Vonzell (very surprised by her the last couple of weeks. She really has a great voice. Whitney and Barbara songs are hard to do).

I voted for those 3. I didn't care for anyone else this week.

In the end, those of us that walk away winning, win more than just a loss - Audrey, Apprentice loser

Harrison 173 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-06-05, 10:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Harrison Click to send private message to Harrison Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "Moot, really."
LAST EDITED ON 04-06-05 AT 11:00 AM (EST)

This is an interesting week, in that these kinds of ratings are, to some degree, moot.

It will be interesting to see who lands in the bottom three for future calculation, but the conclusion of this weeks vote cannot really be in question.

All was decided before Ryan Seacreast first appeared in his unfortunate post-apocalyptic sweater.
Scott Soval cannot recover from the publicity he's enjoyed this week.

He (Scott) might have come out dressed as a one-man band (ala Richard Van Dyke) and performed "Chim Chiminey" whilst balancing on a greased tightrope above a pool full of hungry Simons and it wouldn't have mattered.

For reasons having nothing to do with stage presence, singing ability or song choice, Scott will go home this week.

Edited to change Mr. Van Dyke's first name as it was considered too obscene for print! Oddly enough, his last name seems to have passed muster...

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

04-06-05, 11:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Moot, really."
I'm not sure if Scott's "publicity" will come into play at all this week, but i could be wrong.

I think we may be to a point this season where its going to be downright impossible to pick the bottom three, let alone the bootee.

I think week by week, all the performances are going to level out to a degree of equality (with this week being an equality in dullness) and picking who will go will be impossible.

I want Anthony gone, but i have no clue who will be in the bottom 3. I actually think there is a chance that Carrie may be in the bottom 3....

geekboy

04-06-05, 05:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: Moot, really."
I think we may be to a point this season where its going to be downright impossible to pick the bottom three, let alone the bootee.

We're not there yet. Anthony and Scott clearly should be the next two gone. But after that, we're gonna lose one good singer after another, and debate heartily each and every one of them.

New from Sigs by Syren!!

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-05, 11:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "Thoughts"
LAST EDITED ON 04-06-05 AT 12:01 PM (EST)

OK, here we go.

No one really stood out this week. Bad songs, bad theme. So...

1) Constantine. I really like the song choice. He did his usual great job of selling it.
2) Nadia. Another good song choice. I'm starting to wonder if Simon has a grudge against her hair.
3) Vonzell. I didn't like the song choice, but so many people did so badly that this barely-above-mediocre performance makes the top three.
4) Bo. It sounded like a random pick. Bo sounded disinterested. But others were worse.
5) Carrie. I hate to say it, but this was a snoozer.
6) Nikko. He keeps doing just well enough to avoid the bottom three.
7) Anwar. And to think that people had such high hopes for the guy....
8) Anthony. Bad vocals. But...
9) Scott. My goodness, was it the bad publicity? The lead spot? This is far and away the worst he's done -- and in the week that he's most vulnerable. Bye, Scott.

At this point, I would be very surprised if the next three to go weren't all guys. Vonzell has really picked it up, and Anthony and Scott are just SO weak.

04-06-05, 01:51 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Thoughts"
Ayak, I used to respect you. Even worship you. But putting Constantine at the top? I have lost all of my faith.

First the Pope, now you. Who's next?

04-06-05, 08:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "I understand"
I don't like Constantine either. But the performances this week were really below par, and he was the best of a bad lot.

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-05, 02:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Thoughts"
1. Constantine. Damnit. (I still really loathe Constantine, and the minute he stopped singing and started mugging for the camera I switched to What Not To Wear on BBC, but I gotta give credit when due: good song choice, sang great, should just put the whole rocker thing down and move on with different material such as this).

2. Vonzell. She actually is getting better each week, IMHO. And damn, the girl knows how to shop. Lvoed the dress. Lvoed it. Now, I won't go so far as saying she did it better than Streisand, but then, my prescription probably isn't as strong as Paula's.

3. Nadia. Competent. Not thrilling me the way she promised to.

4. Carrie. But *yawn* to her performance anyway. She should have gone the safe route and headed for "Oklahoma."

5. Nikko. But *yawn* to his performance anyway. Of all the songs in West Side Story, what is the LEAST memorable? The one Nikko sang.

5. Anwar. But *yawn* to his performance anyway. No longer bewitched by his glow.

6. Bo. Lord love him, the man tried. He failed, but he gave it a shot.

7. Scott. I hated Christopher Cross. I don't need to hear him do showtunes. Go away now.

8. Anthony. That stunk. Just stunk. Go sell calendars for NAMBLA.

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

04-06-05, 05:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Thoughts"

8. Anthony. That stunk. Just stunk. Go sell calendars for NAMBLA.

LMAO Ginger! OMG how harsh! I have to agree that Anthony did poorly. Damn.

Moves courtesy of Syren

04-06-05, 05:56 PM (EST)
31. "RE: Thoughts"
Of all the songs in West Side Story, what is the LEAST memorable? The one Nikko sang.

Agreed. WSS is one of my favorite musicals (a very short list, BTW), and I didn't even remember that song.

Anthony. That stunk. Just stunk. Go sell calendars for NAMBLA.

Holey carp!! NAMBLA?!?! *boggle* Note to self: Don't piss off Ginger!!

New from Sigs by Syren!!

04-06-05, 06:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Thoughts"
You guys only just now noticed that? You're slipping!

Sorry. In SF, we make these NAMBLA jokes. We keed.

lovwigglesworth 239 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-06-05, 02:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail lovwigglesworth Click to send private message to lovwigglesworth Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four"
AWESOME:
1. Vonzell- She has done so good since the finals started.
2. Nikko- Also so much better since the finals started, I am really glad he got put back in.
3. Connie- I didn't really "get" him at first. But now I see what's going on.
GOOD:
4. Carrie- nice dress
5. Nadia- She is good, but I don't think she has the fans to save her from the bottom three again, diva fans will more likely go for Vonzell instead
6. Bo- He been comparitively far down on my "love lists" lately. But he has the groupies to give him votes every week and I think he will get better when he has to.
7. Anwar- This guy is great vocally and seems like such a nice person, but he is just kind of boring. The R&B fans I predict are turning towards Nikko now instead.
BAD:
8. Scott- Two weeks in a row now he was totally out of tune. Will he get enough pity votes like he did last week to keep him out of the bottom three? I don't think so.
9. Anthony- I seriously couldn't even understand him sometimes. Seemed like he forgot some words and just kind of faked it. (I do that with the kiddie songs my son asks me to sing for him sometimes.) But then again, he is the only one left with boy-band looks, so maybe he'll still get enough votes to stay in.

udg 3381 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-06-05, 02:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four"
Well, that sucked. I actually missed several of the performances, and it's just not even worth rewinding the tape to watch them. Bad, bad, bad!

Um, I was glad Anwar managed to stay in tune this week.

My picks for the bottom 3 this week were Scott, Anthony and Nikko. Beyond that, it's not even worth trying to rank them. No one really stood out, and there were a whole lot of "eh" performances.

I predict that last night's voting did NOT set a record.

Slice n' Dice's Sigpic Chop Shop 2004
Brak, brak, brak. Ark, ark, ark. Blah, blah, blah. Even the judges were "eh" last night!

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-05, 03:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four"
Ok here we go..my list changed a bit from last nite

1. Constantine--WOW!! Randy was right, this was the best he has done...I see Constantine being the next Clay

2. Anwar--I liked him last nite... I know squat about show tunes...I like dramatic non musical theater....

3. Nadia--Best she has done in a while

4. Nikko- I really like him!!! He did well last nite..

5. Bo--I love him...but I even knew that was a bad song choice...

6. Carrie--I don't get her and why so many people like her..ok I know why boner likes her She will be safe for a long time though

7. Vonzell--Ok, I did not like this song for her. I don't like when people try to outdo Barbra...esp. with that song...it's hers..But thank god Mikalah was gone and didn't do another Barbra song...I think V may be in bottom 3 for the first time tonite.

8. Scott--that was just horrible

9. Anthony--but this was even worse!!

TODDLJ 421 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

04-06-05, 05:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TODDLJ Click to send private message to TODDLJ Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four"
LAST EDITED ON 04-06-05 AT 05:20 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 04-06-05 AT 05:06 PM (EST)

Okay, I'm a big homo who actually LIKES musicals, and I'm somewhat of an expert on this kind of music (having professionally performed much of it as well as written some of my own) and I feel I must weigh in here.

1. Constantine
'My Funny Valentine'
As popular as it is to hate him, his performance this week was the most true to this style of music. He took a great song, perhaps the best song choice of the night, and sang it effectively, putting his own spin on it and still being reverent to the original material. I hated the last note, but otherwise this was solid. For those of you who think he has pitch problems, sorry, but I disagree. You may not like his TONE, but his PITCH is flawless. And this song is deceptively difficult to sing... many greats have had trouble with it. I'm glad you guys seem to get it... but what's with all the other sites' Constantine hate? Some people so blinded by hate of him, that they can't even give him props for what was clearly his best performance yet.

2. Anwar
'If Ever I Would Leave You'
This is Anwar's specialty... taking old standards and making them new. As he did previously with 'Moon River,' he totally nailed it. Again, this was well-sung, with good pitch, in a style which was fresh but reverent to the material. Also, he shortened the song a bit for the show, but the trim was done effectively and in a way that the lyrics still made sense (the edits they do usually suck.) I think as a stage actor he's a bit boring and emotionless, but I can't argue with his vocal technique.

3. Vonzell
'People'
I'm only ranking her this high because she has balls. This song is so tied to Barbra that I can't imagine anyone else singing it well. That being said, she did a creditable job with it, though it was not really very original, because she pretty much did all the phrasing Barbra did (with the exception of the screechy piercing high note at the end that Paula loved but I hated.) Still, all things considered, it didn't suck.

4. Carrie
'Hello Young Lovers'
Another terrible song choice from Carrie, sung flawlessly, and with a little of her usual country flair, but without any feeling or emotion. This song is meant to be sung by someone who is experienced with love, and Carrie is just too young and naive to get it or convey the feelings required. In the context of the musical, it's very emotional... but taken out of context it is just dull and sappy. Consequently, the audience and judges were justifiably bored. Off the top of my head I could list 50 better song choices for Carrie. Too bad someone with a musical theatre background wasn't brought in to help them. Obviously, they were just given a list and thrown to the wolves.

5. Nadia
'As Long As He Needs Me'
Okay, this was a great song choice. It's a simple but powerful lyric, and a nice, interesting melody. Sort of 'ahead of its time' in that way... it doesn't come off as 'old-fashioned' today as some of the other song choices. And Nadia actually has the acting chops to pull it off... unlike most of these kids who can't act their way out of paper bags. 3/4 of the song was the best of the night. But the last 1/4... ouch. She only ranks low on my list because she really didn't pull off the ending... and the weakness in her 'power notes' was really obvious... I think the lousy song-endings she gives us are part of why she keeps ending up in the bottom 3. She basically choses songs that highlight her weak voice. (Maybe she should have tried a less-challenging way to end the song?)

6. Nikko
'One Hand One Heart'
No one would argue that the music from 'West Side Story' is some of the best in the whole genre. But, nonetheless, this was another lousy song choice. This song is first and foremost a DUET, and Nikko was outsung but the damn backup vocalist! (Get her on the stage, she's better than most of these people!) His whiny voice annoys me... especially because the melody for this song is actually quite simple and pretty... but his ugly tone ruined it for me.

7. Bo
'Corner of the Sky'
In the musical theatre world, this song was so overdone by auditioners about 15 years ago, and no one would be caught dead singing it now. Terrible choice. And it's also a very ponderous song... not a happy upbeat song. Just about anything he picked would have been better than this. Also, Bo badly screwed up the words, and I can't believe no one mentioned it.

8. Anthony
'Climb Every Mountain'
This was Hideous. Worst song choice of the night. This guy is an idiot with his song choices. Let's be honest, this song is sappy, old fashioned, and melodramatic. In order to make it anything but drivel, you really have to blow the roof of with it. I have heard it sung effectively by big women with huge voices. He tried to make it into something fresh, and he failed miserably. He also botched the words to one of the easiest set of lyrics ever written. Wow... I'm in awe of how bad it was.

9. Scott
'Impossible Dream'
And yet, Scott was even worse. This was just pathetic. This is one of the best known songs of the night... it can be a GREAT song when it's done right... but people expect a certain kind of singer to do it. It requires a powerful voice and a great acting talent, and Scott has neither. If you can't show us you are really determined, against all foes, to achieve a dream which is, by all odds, impossible, you may as well not waste our time with the song. Also, though I think issues of pitch are overused by the judges, in this case Scott had some serious pitch problems.

All in all, it was a night of mediocre performances of lame song choices... and with the vast amounts of great show music available, it really could have been amazing. Instead, it just put another nail in the coffin for the genre of musical theatre as an entertainment for the masses. Thanks, Fox!

04-06-05, 05:22 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four"
The problem with using songs from musicals in this manner is that songs from musicals have a context that goes beyond just what the song is on paper. Constantine knows this - no one else seemed to realize it. Everyone has selected a song from a show that is available as a movie or a TV show (Pippin). Would it have killed them to watch the movie or show to see how the song was used?

04-06-05, 05:22 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four"
You make my inner-big-homo-who-likes-musicals smile.

04-06-05, 08:56 PM (EST)
36. "One comment"
>7. Bo
>'Corner of the Sky'
>In the musical theatre world, this song was so overdone by
>auditioners about 15 years ago, and no one would be
>caught dead singing it now. Terrible choice. And
>it's also a very ponderous song... not a happy upbeat
>song. Just about anything he picked would have been
>better than this. Also, Bo badly screwed up the
>words, and I can't believe no one mentioned it.

I have to admit -- I didn't mention it because I don't know the song. So I had a hard time judging Bo's performance.

Smiley11 5 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

04-06-05, 05:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Smiley11 Click to send private message to Smiley11 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four"
1.Carrie
2.Vonzell
3.Nadia
4.Anwar
5.Bo
6.Constantine
7.Nikko
8.Anthony
9.Scott

I really hope Anthony gets kicked off tonight.

true 9689 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-05, 07:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail true Click to send private message to true Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: Rankings - Finals Week Four"
Overall, a dull show.

Better than the rest-
1.Constantine
2.Nikko

Not as good as the best, but better than the worst-

3.Vonzell
4.Carrie
5.Bo
6.Nadia
7.Anwar

Hideous-

8.Anthony
9.Scott

If anyone other than Scott or Anthony go, it will be a rip.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •