The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

RealityMom 560 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

06-06-05, 10:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail RealityMom Click to send private message to RealityMom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
Today's New York Times reviews "The Scholar" and it sounds like both the high school seniors competing for college scholarships and the show itself are winners. The producers have pretty impressive track records: Tom Werner and Marcy Carsey of "The Cosby Show" and "Roseanne", Jon Murray of "Real World" and "Simple Life" and Steve Martin, who wanted to learn about the college admissions process. (So do I) The producers have chosen to show these kids, all from diverse backgrounds, in a positive light. Everyone's a winner on the show- even the person who finishes last wins $20,000. But the quizzes and puzzles are really difficult, so for those of us who need another Ken Jennings-type fix, this is it.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... seahorse 06-06-05 1
   RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... RealityMom 06-06-05 2
       RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... HistoryDetective 06-06-05 3
           RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... seahorse 06-06-05 4
               RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... HistoryDetective 06-07-05 9
                   RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... pmspml5 06-07-05 11
 RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... seahorse 06-06-05 5
   RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... RealityMom 06-07-05 6
 RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... tvgeek401 06-07-05 7
 RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... pmspml5 06-07-05 8
   RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... RealityMom 06-07-05 10
       RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... AZ_Leo 06-07-05 12
           RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... Bebo 06-07-05 13
               RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... RealityMom 06-07-05 15
 RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... Tahj 06-07-05 14
   RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... weltek 06-07-05 18
   RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... tvgeek401 06-07-05 19
       RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... RealityMom 06-07-05 20
           RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... Tahj 06-08-05 23
               RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... RealityMom 06-08-05 25
 RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... RealityMom 06-07-05 16
   RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... Cyndimaus 06-07-05 17
 RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... Swami 06-07-05 21
   RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... ConsiderThis 06-08-05 22
 RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... geg6 06-08-05 24
   RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... RealityMom 06-08-05 26
 RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... RealityMom 06-14-05 27
   RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... geg6 06-14-05 28
       RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... Swami 06-14-05 29
           RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... geg6 06-14-05 31
               RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... Swami 06-14-05 32
               RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... Ellehcar71 06-14-05 33
                   RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... geg6 06-14-05 34
                       RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... RealityMom 06-14-05 36
                   RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... Silvergirl1 06-14-05 38
 Way to go Scot! bystander 06-14-05 30
 RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... Tahj 06-14-05 35
   RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... RealityMom 06-14-05 37
       RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... tvgeek401 06-18-05 51
           RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... RealityMom 06-18-05 52
 RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... Silvergirl1 06-14-05 39
   RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... cambo 06-14-05 40
       RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... RealityMom 06-14-05 41
 Question for Geggy re: school spiri... Cygnus X1 06-15-05 42
   RE: Question for Geggy re: school s... RealityMom 06-16-05 43
       RE: Question for Geggy re: school s... Swami 06-16-05 44
   RE: Question for Geggy re: school s... geg6 06-16-05 47
       RE: Question for Geggy re: school s... RealityMom 06-16-05 48
           RE: Question for Geggy re: school s... geg6 06-17-05 50
       RE: Question for Geggy re: school s... Cygnus X1 06-16-05 49
 RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... DoodleBug 06-16-05 45
   RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... RealityMom 06-16-05 46
 RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... Fishercat 06-20-05 53
 RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... Fishercat 06-20-05 54
 Something in last nights show stood... pmspml5 06-21-05 55
   RE: Something in last nights show s... Tahj 06-21-05 56
       Who isnt pmspml5 06-21-05 58
           RE: Who isnt Bebo 06-21-05 59
           RE: Who isnt Tahj 06-21-05 61
   RE: Something in last nights show s... geg6 06-21-05 57
 RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... RealityMom 06-21-05 60
   Jeremy Cygnus X1 06-22-05 65
       RE: Jeremy RealityMom 06-22-05 67
           RE: Jeremy Cygnus X1 06-22-05 68
               RE: Jeremy RealityMom 06-22-05 69
 RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... Cyndimaus 06-21-05 62
   RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... Fishercat 06-21-05 63
   RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... geg6 06-22-05 64
       RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... Cyndimaus 06-22-05 66
 Will everyone get picked for the Sh... Cygnus X1 06-23-05 70
   RE: Will everyone get picked for th... RealityMom 06-23-05 71
   RE: Will everyone get picked for th... Tahj 06-23-05 72
       RE: Will everyone get picked for th... RealityMom 06-23-05 74
           RE: Will everyone get picked for th... Tahj 06-23-05 80
       RE: Will everyone get picked for th... Cygnus X1 06-23-05 76
   RE: Will everyone get picked for th... geg6 06-23-05 73
       RE: Will everyone get picked for th... RealityMom 06-23-05 75
           RE: Will everyone get picked for th... Cygnus X1 06-23-05 77
               RE: Will everyone get picked for th... RealityMom 06-23-05 83
       RE: Will everyone get picked for th... Cygnus X1 06-23-05 78
           RE: Will everyone get picked for th... Tahj 06-23-05 79
               RE: Will everyone get picked for th... Cygnus X1 06-23-05 81
                   RE: Will everyone get picked for th... RealityMom 06-23-05 82
               RE: Will everyone get picked for th... RealityMom 06-28-05 84
                   RE: Will everyone get picked for th... PhoenixMons 06-28-05 85
                       RE: Will everyone get picked for th... RealityMom 06-28-05 86
                           RE: Will everyone get picked for th... Cygnus X1 06-28-05 88
                       Speculation - last showdown Bebo 06-28-05 89
                           RE: Speculation - last showdown PhoenixMons 06-28-05 90
                               RE: Speculation - last showdown Cygnus X1 06-28-05 92
                               RE: Speculation - last showdown cambo 06-30-05 94
                   By the numbers Cygnus X1 06-28-05 87
 How about some finale speculation? RealityMom 06-28-05 91
   No Scholar on July 4 Cygnus X1 06-28-05 93
 RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... RealityMom 07-12-05 95
   Davis was only off by 100 years... Cygnus X1 07-12-05 96
       RE: Davis was only off by 100 years... Tahj 07-12-05 97
           RE: Davis was only off by 100 years... califan 07-12-05 98
           RE: Davis was only off by 100 years... Cygnus X1 07-12-05 99
   RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... cambo 07-13-05 101
 RE: Contrast with the Real World mocha madness 07-12-05 100
 RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, s... RealityMom 07-13-05 102

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-06-05, 12:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
For the show to succeed in primetime it had better be interesting.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

06-06-05, 12:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RealityMom Click to send private message to RealityMom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
In the article, Werner jokes that he hopes at least the families who want to get their kids into college will watch. The article also states that the students are the real stars of the show and they've all been chosen both because of their high academic achievement and some obstacle they've overcome. So it looks like there'll be some heartstrings moments. I agree with you that if it's just a glorified "It's Academic" or "Pre- College Bowl" it'll be a disappointment. But the kids are all living together so I think group dynamics will play a large part of the show. We'll find out tonight.

HistoryDetective 9516 desperate attention whore postings

06-06-05, 01:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
I tend to think that the high school years are challenging enough and that preparing to go to college has enough of its own hurdles that it's not necessary to put these teenagers through some sort of dog-and-pony show. This whole concept just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

06-06-05, 08:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
Since the kids get 20k minimum for scholarships, I say more power to them.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

HistoryDetective 9516 desperate attention whore postings

06-07-05, 11:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
LAST EDITED ON 06-07-05 AT 11:47 AM (EST)

I say that you can award scholarships to teenagers without exploiting them by putting them in a house together and recording the inevitable meltdowns and interpersonal interactions that go wrong. It's one thing to put adult DAWs through this, quite another for kids who just want to go to college without putting themselves or their parents in all kinds of debt.

ETA: OK, nobody has followed up on the suggestion that the early reports of them sharing a house and depending on that as a major focus of the drama. If the show sticks to just the academic competitions, then I have no problem with the show, but if the producers are just trying to milk these kids for whatever emotional and sentimental mileage they can get out of them, that would be when I have a problem.

courtesy of Seana and Syren - thanks gals!

pmspml5 3263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

06-07-05, 01:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail pmspml5 Click to send private message to pmspml5 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
LAST EDITED ON 06-07-05 AT 01:52 PM (EST)

I really think this show is a win win edited show. Even the really cocky guy - who they could have edited much worse then they did was shown to have several friends in the house. Next week will be a real tell because this week most of the show was on the competitions and on the kids backgrounds. They chose not to show when the one boy called his parents to say that he did not win the first show off. I think they are doing well so far. We will see next week.

As a parent of a Junior and Sophmore (well now a senior and junior) in High School - I loved the time they showed the entrance board discussing why some where picked and others weren't for the show off. I also think it was great that they changed their requirements to fit what the show wants - growth, creativity, team work. It really made a lot of sense. I have often wondered how they pick and choose when so many applicants are so close as far as grades/test scores.

06-06-05, 08:51 PM (EST)
5. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
The kids divided into two teams for a competition of puzzles to perform. The captain of the winning team competed against two others chosen by the judges. The winner won a $50,000 scholarship.

06-07-05, 01:32 AM (EST)
6. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
I thought it was great that the kids get a chance for $50,000 every week and to quote the book that did Davis in, for the others "tomorrow is another day". I was so happy for Melissa. She seems like a wonderful girl and you can see her confidence growing. I also think that the way they choose the captain and the other two candidates is really clever and gives everyone a chance, even those from the losing team. I wish that "The Apprentice" would incorporate something like this, so that the Project Manager wasn't at such a disadvantage and that great contestants from either team still could shine.
To cite the Times' article again, about 5,000 students applied to be on the show. They were recruited from websites or by their own guidance counselors. Many have families that are in the same financial situation most of us find ourselves in- they make too much money to qualify for financial aid, but not enough to afford the huge tuitions of the top schools. While there's no question that it may be painful to watch when these kids are disappointed if they lose, this show does seem to be treating them with respect. By guaranteeing at least $20,000 and giving each student several chances to succeed, I think that the show is providing a real opportunity to make dreams come true.

tvgeek401 1615 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

06-07-05, 02:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tvgeek401 Click to send private message to tvgeek401 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
I applied to be on this show and will be tuning in every week to whine about my average, unsuccessful life.

But so far it seems like a pretty good show. That Davis kid is exactly like a kid in my school. Really annoying and cocky. So naturally, I'll be rooting for him to win or totally get his butt kicked. Either way I'm good.

Handcrafted by RollDdice ignore this space. ignore, ignore, ignore this spaceIcecat is da bomb!
4 8 15 16 23 42

06-07-05, 07:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail pmspml5 Click to send private message to pmspml5 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
To His Det - These kids have ALL been accepted to the college of their choice - however they "fall in the cracks" and can not afford to pay for it. This show gives them a chance to get a scholarship and was one of the better new reality shows I've seen. Each week they have a contest worth $50,000. So technically one student could earn their way through college. It is not clear if once you win you dont compete but from the previews it does look like you still do. They have a great mix of kids and ethnic groups - which to me was one of the best parts of the show. It almost seems like they went out of their way not to cast any stereo types. Inner city kids who work hard- home schooled who are not wierdoes etc. None of them are the perfect SAT score kids but all extrememly smart.

I really liked this show - and to be honest - was so glad I knew all the answers to the questions they showed on TV. People should check it out.

06-07-05, 12:13 PM (EST)
10. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
I'm looking forward to how the competitions play out, too, since we don't know yet if someone who's already guaranteed a place in the final five can compete again. I would assume that the students will be able to compete again or how could the judges determine the candidate's abilities and growth if they're not part of the new tasks. But I don't know if that means that Melissa, who's already received a $50,000 could win again and get another $50,000, etc. etc, because then it would be possible for someone to win over and over and conceivably end up with far more than the $250,00 final scholarship. I think one of the goals of the show is to try to spread the money among as many of the kids as possible, so finding out how the competition actually works will be very interesting.
History Detective, we don't know yet how much group dynamics will be a focus of the show but by having the kids live together, we saw two of them really helping each other prepare for the final test and all of them just having fun. I didn't want to discuss too much of the Times' article since I was afraid there might be spoilers but the students interviewed for the article seemed very proud to have been part of the experience.

AZ_Leo 3526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

06-07-05, 02:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AZ_Leo Click to send private message to AZ_Leo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
It seemed to me that the winner was now a part of the final five that will compete for the full-ride scholarship. Possibly they will still compete in the team challenges but won't be picked by the admissions board for the final challenge again. That would be the fairest as the teams would always remain equal (5 to 5) but others get the chance to get the $50,000 and get into the finals.

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

06-07-05, 02:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
I think you're right. It still gives the selection committee the chance to interview the kids each time. Plus, since character is supposed to play a part in this, they can evaluate how they respond to being a finalist. Are the finalists jerks to their fellow competitors? Do they work just as hard during the challenges, or do they coast since they've already made it?

Since we don't know the format for the finals yet, there's probably still a lot of evaluating going on to get to know the kids better.

But I'll bet they don't get to participate in future captain's tests. After all, the captain of the winning team automatically gets to compete for the finals spot.

"If there was ever a time you wanted permission to run over a clown. . ."

06-07-05, 03:24 PM (EST)
15. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
AZ and Bebo,
I agree with both of you. It makes the most sense to have the student who's already guaranteed a spot in the final five be part of the team each week but not eligible to be a captain or chosen to be in the final test of the week. This way, all five going into the final five will receive the $50,000 scholarship. I also agree with the point you made, Bebo, about watching how those who are finalists perform in all future tasks. Again, I keep thinking about "The Apprentice" and the PMs who sat back when they had immunity. I also have to say, that Jeremy, who's just a kid, by taking such responsibility, showed more class, maturity and strength of character than many adults. As a parent, I can imagine how proud his parents are. No matter where he places, he's already a winner!

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

06-07-05, 03:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
I was surprised at easy the questions were in the Showdown. I knew them all. Maybe it's a generational issue and those kids don't read the same books that I used to in high school.

Moves courtesy of Syren

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings

06-07-05, 06:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
No joke! I hope the questions get a bit more difficult.

06-07-05, 09:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tvgeek401 Click to send private message to tvgeek401 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
Way too easy. Poe? Every sixth grader with half a mind knows who Poe is. Little Women?
I'm the same age as these people and the only two I didn't know were White Fang vs. Call of the Wild and the writer of Gone With the Wind.
I was embarassed for them.

Handcrafted by RollDdice ignore this space. ignore, ignore, ignore this spaceIcecat is da bomb!
4 8 15 16 23 42

06-07-05, 09:54 PM (EST)
20. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
LAST EDITED ON 06-07-05 AT 09:56 PM (EST)

I'm sure the questions were meant to get progressively more difficult. I think that these were just meant to be the warm-up questions to put the students at ease. I think they missed the questions far earlier than the producers expected. If they had gone a few more rounds, I'm certain that the questions would have been about far more obscure literary works. I could answer all these questions but would fail miserably if the questions involved people like Willa Cather, Edith Wharton, or less popular works by Hemingway, Fitzgerald, etc.

06-08-05, 11:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
Well sure but these kids are supposed to be very bright and they missed the easy questions. I don't get it.

Moves courtesy of Syren

06-08-05, 11:38 AM (EST)
25. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
I was surprised, too, and I bet the producers were really surprised. I know that "The Call of the Wild" was on the junior high curriculum when my kids were in school, so I expected Jeremy to know that question. I think that there may be a disconnect between Margaret Mitchell and "Gone With The Wind". The movie is so famous and the title (Davis himself used it jokingly) but perhaps the author herself isn't as well known for kids this age.

06-07-05, 03:43 PM (EST)
16. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
I just realized that I'm so used to the Survivor/Apprentice mindset where someone is eliminated every week that I just now realized that the original 10 can still be there at the end. DUH So in the final test, 4 spaces will already be filled and the remaining 6 will compete for the final spot. So this really can be a show where everyone has a chance until almost the very end. But if this does turn out to be the case, then the five who aren't chosen will be very sad to watch but hopefully, they will have made friendships amongst themselves to help them commiserate and not feel as alone as the single contestant who's either fired or voted off every week on other shows.

Cyndimaus 3117 desperate attention whore postings

06-07-05, 04:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cyndimaus Click to send private message to Cyndimaus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
I really liked the format of the show and that it didn't just focus on individual competition but also on teamwork and that they were being evaluated on all sorts of different areas, not just how much they knew.

I appreciated the fact that Davis saw the irony in the question he missed about the author of Gone With the Wind. I laughed when I heard his question, remembering how he'd jokingly asked if anyone wanted to read it.

I am looking forward to see how the show develops and how the kids continue to do. I see this as a growing experience for all of them, no matter what the outcome.

Swami 5885 desperate attention whore postings

06-07-05, 11:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
I finally watched my recording of this show and I find it to be very smart and fun to watch. I like the evaluators a lot. Agree with whoever said the questions seemed easy but would have gotten more difficult quickly.

Man--I would have loved to try something like this out of high school! I am only medium smart, but I'm a d@mn fine test taker. I think these kids are all smart enough to know that they are being evaluated constantly, even after they have secured a spot in the final 5.

I sure hope the show doesn't start fvcking with them just because it can. I want to see successes rewarded, not psyches screwed with.

ConsiderThis 146 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

06-08-05, 00:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ConsiderThis Click to send private message to ConsiderThis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
Swami, what a beautiful image!!!!

I liked the show, too. I wish there were half as many CSI type programs, and Law and Order knock offs, and that there were that many more of these programs!!!!!!!

www.health-boundaries-bite.com/Fingernails.html
Your fingernails reflect your health --
Learn what warning signs to look for --
Karen Kline

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

06-08-05, 11:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
This might be the reality show I can feel very good about watching. I absolutely was impressed with the first episode.

I think this is a great thing for high school juniors and seniors to watch with their parents. As someone who works in post secondary education, I found it to be quite realistic in its depiction of the admissions process and was quite happy to see the team challenge was actually quite challenging and intellectually rigorous. The last individual challenge questions did seem a bit easy but, like others here, I think the questions would have gotten progressively harder. You have to give them a break there even because the pressure of performing in front of the other students and the admissions officers can make you flub even an easy question.

Lastly, as a financial aid officer, I'm thrilled with one more avenue for bright students with high financial need to get the funding they need to attend the college they deserve.

I love The Scholar.

I'm such a slut for the blues.

06-08-05, 12:27 PM (EST)
26. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
I really like the show, too and find that I've been thinking what a great bunch of kids these are. As some of the other posters have mentioned, even Davis, who seems so cocky, has made friends. He even gave Melissa credit for the puzzle challenge. I know that the judges were there watching the whole time, but he could have given a different answer, or tried to put a different spin on things. Contestants on "The Apprentice" are under the watchful eyes of Carolyn and George but that hasn't stopped many of them from sometimes denying others the credit due them.
So, what's discouraging is that today's paper says that less than 5 million people watched the show (most of them from this forum- LOL) When shows haven't done well in the past, sometimes they've been yanked from the schedule. I hope this doesn't happen here because I really want to see how the kids do in future episodes.

06-14-05, 01:06 AM (EST)
27. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
These kids just get more impressive. Melissa did such a good job: in selecting who to send to the final round, basing her decision on who most deserved it; explaining to Milana why she made her decision without jeopardizing their friendship; working really hard and recognizing that she was being judged throughout the competition and not resting on her laurels because her spot was guaranteed.
I thought letting someone who already had a final spot compete to be team captain and then have the privilege of choosing who to send to the final round of the night was very clever and helped show the ability to make good leadership decisions. I hadn't anticipated this element of the show.
As a former RA, I loved that Melissa sought out her RA's advice. I wish I was seventeen again because Scot is just adorable. I know that there are a lot of very proud parents in this group, and rightly so!

06-14-05, 09:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
I have to agree. These kids are quite impressive. This show should be required viewing for high school students so they can see the benefits of working well in a team and giving up individual glory for the greater good, good decision-making and seeking advice when needed, and how breaking out of your own box can lead to great success. Scot, who I also think is adorable, earned every bit of his scholarship last night by displaying all of those qualities in addition to his intelligence.

06-14-05, 09:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
Do they rebroadcast episodes of this show?

We had stormy weather last night, and a local newscaster who is totally in love with himself keep interrupting the show to give a series of loooong emergency advices and show multiple multi-colored radar pictures. So I missed just about everything but the commercials (which they never interrupt).

Which team won?
Did they find the missing $100 reward card?
Who went to the final round for this ep?
Who won a seat in the Final Five?

06-14-05, 09:43 AM (EST)
31. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
Melissa's team won.
They found the gift card, but didn't give it away until the end of the routine and it didn't have the impact it should have.
Max, Gerald, and Scot went to the final round.
Scot got the $50,000 scholarship and a place in the Final Five.

06-14-05, 10:04 AM (EST)
32. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
Thanks geg!

Ellehcar71 163 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

06-14-05, 10:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Ellehcar71 Click to send private message to Ellehcar71 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
Unless I missed something (which is entirely possible,) I'm pretty sure they did NOT find the gift card, rather, Davis used his own $$ to go purchase a new one. I believe that was the right move (and can see that he is a rich kid, to whom such a thing is no big deal.)

06-14-05, 11:05 AM (EST)
34. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
Well, I know that they had the card by the time they did their routine. Perhaps Davis (who is pretty much a spoiled jerk IMO) did get another one because I did get a phone call at that point in the show and was watching with half an eye.

06-14-05, 01:26 PM (EST)
36. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
LAST EDITED ON 06-14-05 AT 02:00 PM (EST)

I just rewatched the segment about the missing gift card because I wasn't sure what happened either. We see Davis, in his confessional, say that it was up to him to replace the card with his "sense of responsibility" and then all the kids are waiting outside the gym and he comes back (it's very dark and hard to see) and says "All right, guys" or something to that effect. So Davis did replace the card. I also noticed that a few minutes earlier in the show that it looked like he was holding the card in his hand to show people what they would win. He must have felt just terrible, especially if he watched the episode last night and saw that he'd been holding it just a little while earlier.

Silvergirl1 9342 desperate attention whore postings

06-14-05, 01:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Silvergirl1 Click to send private message to Silvergirl1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
38. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"

Yes, he did have to go buy a new one.

Silvergirl
<yoda>Guilty, he felt.
Life is Good!

bystander 4968 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

06-14-05, 09:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bystander Click to send private message to bystander Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "Way to go Scot!"
From one white guy in New Freedom who can't dance to another.

Great Job and we're cheering for you here in your hometown!

06-14-05, 11:33 AM (EST)
35. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
I really like this show. I think it's my favorite of all the new reality shows this summer.

I still thought the questions were pretty easy, though more difficult than last week. The only one I didn't know was the one about carbohydrates beginning digestion in the mouth and not the stomach. Ack!! Who knew? Dermis? He didn't know what dermis was?

Moves courtesy of Syren

06-14-05, 01:33 PM (EST)
37. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
When I was in elementary school, there was a joke that the older kids would tell the younger ones- "Your epidermis is showing" and the little kids would look up and down at themselves, mortified about what they might be exposing, until they learned it meant "skin". I guess they don't tell that anymore or at least not in Oakland. I was so surprised that Max's school didn't teach biology. I thought that was a required course for all high school curriculums. But even without biology, Tahj, I agree with you, "derm" is a root word and probably if Max wasn't under such pressure, he would have figured it out.

06-18-05, 10:02 AM (EST)
51. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
no, they still tell the epidermis joke. I guess those Oaklandites don't like their lame body jokes.

4 8 15 16 23 42

06-18-05, 11:51 AM (EST)
52. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
Uh, oh. If they're still telling the joke, it may haunt Max the rest of his life. I can hear the toast at his wedding- "Here's to the beautiful bride and her groom whose epidermis is showing". Except for a show like "The Last Comic Standing" who expected knowing a lame joke could keep someone in the running?

Silvergirl1 9342 desperate attention whore postings

06-14-05, 01:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Silvergirl1 Click to send private message to Silvergirl1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
39. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"

I thought the Biology quiz was too easy. I haven't had biology in many years, but I knew all of the answers.

I like the fact that kids are getting a chance at a scholarship, though.

Silvergirl

Life is Good!

cambo 286 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

06-14-05, 03:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cambo Click to send private message to cambo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
40. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
It was odd that they went from something so obscure as art history (we didn't learn any of that in my high school) to rather elementary biology questions in the final quiz.

06-14-05, 03:33 PM (EST)
41. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
Cambo,
You made a really good point. I hadn't thought of it but both weeks, the first round (sort of "The Fastest Finger") was far more difficult than the final round. Last week, it was matching dates in space history and last night, the artists and their works. I wonder what the rationale for that is? All I can think of, is that being a team captain, thus getting a 50-50 chance to be in the final round is considered really crucial. But ultimately winning $50,000 is definitely the best prize.

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings

06-15-05, 04:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cygnus%20X1 Click to send private message to Cygnus%20X1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
42. "Question for Geggy re: school spirit"
Geg, (or anyone else who's in the know)

The Overlords said that school spirit is something that's considered in the admissions process. I could see that when looking at a couple applicants and (thinking of an old Funky Winkerbean cartoon) one was a cross country runner, a forensics team captain, a NHS member, editor of the school paper, blah blah blah, while the other was "a hall monitor."

Might that be more what they mean by school spirit? I mean, I don't recall there being anywhere on any college app I filled out to show how many football/soccer/basketball games I went to. Any idea how much weight it's given in the grand scheme of things, or was it just shoehorned into the show as a different idea for a challenge?

Next week's community service challenge, I can definitely see that. Few students in public or private school graduate without that these days. I remember my inner city service fondly. But school spirit, I'm not so sure . . . am I wrong? TIA.

Props to Scot for giving it his all. Guess we'll see him next year on Dancing With the Stars, eh?

True story: when getting choreographed for one scene in a production of Oklahoma! some years back, my dear friend had to physically lift my pant legs, I needed so much help.

06-16-05, 02:57 AM (EST)
43. "RE: Question for Geggy re: school spirit"
Cyg,
I hope Geg clarifies this, too, since I thought that they were probably referring to school spirit as demonstrated by the types of extracurricular activities the students pursued. I don't know how an admissions committee would learn about a student's attendance at school events. Maybe they've done studies and found a correlation between how much school spirit a kid has in high school and how much that student donates to the college once he/she graduates. Cygnus, you may have needed help with dancing but in junior high, I was asked to mouth the words at graduation since my voice was so off-tune. So I did, during rehearsals, but at the graduation, I sang out- what could they do do me at that point, not let me graduate?

06-16-05, 09:31 AM (EST)
44. "RE: Question for Geggy re: school spirit"
"Maybe they've done studies and found a correlation between how much school spirit a kid has in high school and how much that student donates to the college once he/she graduates."

Oh, that's brilliant! Sounds reasonable to me, lol.

06-16-05, 04:40 PM (EST)
47. "RE: Question for Geggy re: school spirit"
I think the challenge was more of a problem solving, team work, and leadership challenge than having anything to do with "team spirit" as part of the admissions process. I certainly can't speak for every school (especially the privates), but a large research university such as mine looks first at GPA from grades 9-11 and then SAT/ACT scores. If a student is borderline in some area for the particular college or campus here at the university or just borderline for admission period, we start looking at extracurriculars, community service, and the "personal statement" (the essay). That's for admissions strictly. As for scholarships, depending on the criteria for the scholarship, we look at all of those things.

We do notice when students seem enthusiastic about coming here and if they have alumni in the family. It doesn't really affect admissions or student aid, but those are students we may approach later on to take on freshman leadership roles in SGA and other clubs and organizations.

06-16-05, 05:18 PM (EST)
48. "RE: Question for Geggy re: school spirit"
Thanks for the insights, Geg,
Does your school have rolling admissions? I know that when both my kids applied to some of the Big 10 schools, they heard within a few weeks, so obviously some formula based on a combination of GPA and SAT scores was in place. When anyone asks us about our college admissions experiences, we always suggest that the teen apply to at least one rolling- admissions school since it feels wonderful to know really early that your child is going somewhere. I think the point you make about noticing enthusiastic candidates as a way to determine who to approach later on is really interesting and one I wouldn't have considered. It's great to have such knowledgeable people on this thread.

06-17-05, 10:35 AM (EST)
50. "RE: Question for Geggy re: school spirit"
Yes, we have rolling admissions. We are so large (24 campuses) that you may get admitted to the university, but you may not get your first choice campus. Actually, my university is a member of the Big Ten. I work at one of the smaller campuses (about 900 students).

06-16-05, 06:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cygnus%20X1 Click to send private message to Cygnus%20X1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
49. "RE: Question for Geggy re: school spirit"
Appreciate the insight, hon! Thanks! And I thank all of you for replying.

You mentioned the personal essay. I'm pretty sure that knocked me out of consideration from one school, but had I applied to a different one, the same one may have gotten me in. Oh, well, hindsight is 20/20.

I still have my diploma on the wall in any event.

DoodleBug 5133 desperate attention whore postings

06-16-05, 01:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DoodleBug Click to send private message to DoodleBug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
45. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
I work in financial aid so this show caught my eye before it even aired. I love this show! Not simply for the fact that these well deserving kids get to compete for a scholarship, but that the show itself is so well done! The admission panel is fabulous (the happy pill comment was priceless). The kids are BRIGHT (any college would be lucky to get any one of them). The competitions are creative. I love the fact they have an "RA" in the house. I love it!

06-16-05, 01:53 PM (EST)
46. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
DoodleBug,
I love this show, too and really think it's great that the admission panel has so much imput. I keep thinking of Carolyn and George and wondering if they're going to Trump, saying, "Hey, Donald, look at those three, they're not even media darlings yet and they actually get to pick two people! Not fair'! I love the fact that it's a non-elimination show and that everybody's a winner.

Fishercat 4168 desperate attention whore postings

06-20-05, 08:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fishercat Click to send private message to Fishercat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
53. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
I've watched for ten minutes so far tonight, and I've seen two things

A. Kids with the book smarts who can't figure out word puzzles (hey, I couldn't do that in one minute...maybe ten).

B. The kids that do everything to make average/above-average students feel like #####.

Fun. When I hear these 4.0/1600 (or 2400) type kids whine about not feeling smart in the house and so on and so forth, I feel like lashing into them. Yes, I'm bitter.

A generous Icecat donation
I'm airing it out.

06-20-05, 08:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fishercat Click to send private message to Fishercat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
54. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
Now I know what this reminds me of: a wussified Apprentice.

Don't get me wrong, I like the premise. But basically take away the punishing the worst and making money for the rich and replace it with rewarding the best and helping the less fortunate and you have The Scholar from The Apprentice. Your leaders get a reward if they win and they compete for the big prize although there are plenty of smaller prizes along the way. You are assigned tasks, you plan with your team, etc. Then your final judgment is the boardroom/showdown for being fired or rewarded.

I'm airing it out.

06-21-05, 08:19 AM (EST)
55. "Something in last nights show stood out to me........"
Each of the three girsl (dont know the names) were talking about their family situations.

Girl 1 (blonde) "Winning would make my familys life more comfortable" to me this does not say they cant afford to send her to school just that it would be a stretch - and she is taking about Harvard - well sister - go to a less expensive almost as good school - or your parents should stretch - going to Harvard is suppose to be a stretch.

Girl 2 (African American) - "My mom is working on her doctorete and still supporting 4 daughters - this would make it easier". Again, after looking at the house and the surroundings - poor and unable to afford school were not the impressions I got - just the opposite. She said something about her mom being a single mom - but did not mention if they had been divorced and got financial support - or had done it on her own - either way - i wouldnt mind seeing her in the final 5 - but would not want her to win it.

Girl 3 (Russian) - Ok her house was clean - but you could tell they had no money. "My parents support themselves and their parents" typical emmigrant story - and I loved the fact that she has so much respect for family and family tradition. So far I hope she wins the whole thing.

06-21-05, 10:36 AM (EST)
56. "RE: Something in last nights show stood out to me........"
Girl 2 (African American) - "My mom is working on her doctorete and still supporting 4 daughters - this would make it easier". Again, after looking at the house and the surroundings - poor and unable to afford school were not the impressions I got - just the opposite. She said something about her mom being a single mom - but did not mention if they had been divorced and got financial support - or had done it on her own - either way - i wouldnt mind seeing her in the final 5 - but would not want her to win it.

Amari was accepted at Harvard. My impression is that while they may not be poor, they are a long way from being able to afford Harvard.

Moves courtesy of Syren

06-21-05, 12:34 PM (EST)
58. "Who isnt"
The allure and prestige of graduating from Harvard pays off 100 times their tuition fees. Very few people in the world can afford to go to Harvard. I believe that most people who are accepted have a minimum income for that very reason. If it was easy to pay for Harvard do you think that the school would be as prestigious as it is? I have a very good friend who was not accepted in the 80's - the reason had nothing to do with grades or with SAT/ACT scores - it was the fact that the school felt that her family was not prepared for the expenses necessary to complete all four years. My interpretation is "you cant afford to pay for four year here and we do not want our drop out rate to go up". IMHO if she has been accepted to Harvard - they are even better off then I thought or she will be getting massive amounts of financial aide.

All that asside - I do like her and think she is a great individual - but they presented this show as 10 kids who "could not afford their school of choice". Well hellss bells - my school of choice would have been Harvard as well - along with thousands of others. That in itself should not get you sympathy.

06-21-05, 12:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
59. "RE: Who isnt"
Well, we don't know if she can afford her second choice school either. Idaho has a lower cost of living that a lot of places in the US, which usually means that salaries are lower too.

We also don't know what she means by "more comfortable". That could mean "they won't have to take out a second mortgage on the house" or "they won't work an extra job".

And why does Amari warrant different consideration? Just because she comes from a single parent household and has siblings? She plans to go to Harvard. Her mother's getting a doctorate. For all we know, Liz's parents may not have advanced degrees (or any degree at all) and may have a much tighter financial situation.

06-21-05, 02:33 PM (EST)
61. "RE: Who isnt"
I have a very good friend who was not accepted in the 80's - the reason had nothing to do with grades or with SAT/ACT scores - it was the fact that the school felt that her family was not prepared for the expenses necessary to complete all four years. My interpretation is "you cant afford to pay for four year here and we do not want our drop out rate to go up".

If that were truly the case, then Harvard would have very few students. If Harvard wants you, you can bet they would do everything they can to assist you.

IMHO if she has been accepted to Harvard - they are even better off then I thought or she will be getting massive amounts of financial aide.

The real problem for her and the others may be that the parents make too much to qualify for financial aid (from Harvard) but not enough to afford the tuition. That doesn't mean they can't seek aid elsewhere.

She may indeed be getting lots of financial aid. According to Harvard's website, 70% of the students are on some kind of financial aid. They'd have to be. It costs between 40-50K a year.

The idea that her family could actually afford Harvard still seems highly unlikely to me.

Moves courtesy of Syren

06-21-05, 11:16 AM (EST)
57. "RE: Something in last nights show stood out to me........"
From what I have seen so far, I'm rooting for the Russian girl, Jeremy, and Scot. All of them seem to have come from families that are struggling financially. Two of those families are immigrant families who came here with nothing. Scot's family, by his own admission, makes a very low income. I'd be happy with any of those three winning it.

06-21-05, 02:00 PM (EST)
60. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
I think is my favorite show of the summer batch. I really like "Beauty and the Geek" but "The Scholar" may be the first reality show that I can think of where I legitimately like every contestant. This is a really nice group of kids. I loved how they all helped prepare for the showdown last night. They're all each others' competition but they seem really generous with each other (except, of course, when it came to Max ).
I think last week's segment when Jeremy says that his parents worked really hard to become part of the middle class and now he feels he's being punished for it because his family isn't rich enough to pay for a top school and not poor enough to get financial aid is basically the theme of the show. Some kids, like Max, whose father said the tuition at Columbia was equal to his teacher's salary and Scot, who is also more financially strapped, do seem to have a greater need but Amari is one of four children. We don't know what her situation, or Liz's really is, but most of us are in the same circumstances as Jeremy's family - we earn too much money for financial aid but would have to mortgage everything (if we even own a home) to raise the money for these enormous tuitions. Plus, if you've got more than one child, you want the very best for all of them. Starting them off at the best school they're accepted at, is a way to insure their future success.
I really love Melissa, Scot and Jeremy. It's hard to believe that Melissa was called "shy" on the first episode because she seems so outgoing now. She may have just been intimidated at the beginning because now I think she's just adorable and vivacious.

06-22-05, 11:46 AM (EST)
65. "Jeremy"
I don't know if it's the editing or what, but this kid really needs a dose of self-esteem. I keep thinking this is his portrayal:

I get the feeling that if he doesn't make it to the finals, he will be absolutely crushed.

06-22-05, 06:40 PM (EST)
67. "RE: Jeremy"
Actually, Cyg, the only thing that will crush him is never speaking to the little red-haired girl. Actually, I thought I remembered that Jeremy was one of the ones interviewed for the Times' article. So, after much searching through very valuable papers, I finally found it. Both Jeremy and Milana were interviewed and both were delighted with their experience. Jeremy said that they were treated "like celebrities".
It was interesting to reread the article, now, after getting to know the kids. Milana was admitted to Columbia, Princeton, Duke, Cornell and others. Jeremy was admitted to Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Berkeley and others! So even if he loses the full-ride scholarship, we should all have such an "L" on our foreheads!
The article also discusses some of the selection process. All applicants submitted essays and their grades, were part of extensive interviews and provided tapes to show their camera-readiness. There were about 5,000 candidates for the 10 spots. I think the producers did a great job with their final choices.

06-22-05, 06:50 PM (EST)
68. "RE: Jeremy"
Oh, by no means am I saying he didn't deserve to be there. I *am* saying that he either is putting a lot of pressure on himself to win, or may be having a lot of pressure placed on him by his family. And he has taken his "failures" very hard, a la C.B.

I know, it's not like there's no pressure on anyone else.

Furthermore, the exposure on The Scholar could help those who don't make the finals to get more financial aid from other sources.

But I maintain that, probably more than the others, Jeremy is getting the pathos edit.

06-22-05, 06:59 PM (EST)
69. "RE: Jeremy"
Oh, gosh, Cyg, this is why my daughter says how much harder it is to know what a person means on the Net than in person. I never even thought that you meant he didn't deserve to be there. I'm sorry, if that's what came across. I absolutely agree with you that he feels a lot of pressure, both self-imposed and by his family. I was just mentioning the article as reassurance and to reiterate how pleased the kids were with their experience and to show that even if they don't get the "grand prize" all they have to do is look at the heavy envelopes LOL with return addresses of Harvard, Yale, etc. to remind them of what they've achieved. There's no question, they'll feel disappointment but hopefully, it won't be long-lasting and they'll console each other.

06-21-05, 07:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cyndimaus Click to send private message to Cyndimaus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
62. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
Okay, call me naive, but was that a teen dance club the kids were at on the last epidode? I assume it was since none of them are of drinking age and wouldn't have been allowed into a "real" dance club.

And could someone please tell me what you do to get a GPA higher than 4.0. I have no clue how that is accomplished. (I had a 4.0 my senior but that was a LONG time ago)

And I really am enjoying this show and watching the competion yet the teamwork between the kids. And I really liked that their team competion was a community service project.

06-21-05, 11:36 PM (EST)
63. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
Some schools weight GPA and some schools don't. A weighted GPA, if you take all AP courses and get A+'s in my school, would earn you a 5.0 weighted GPA (I know in my private school, an A+ in College Prep = A- in Honors = B in AP). That's how the GPA can be above 4.

I'm airing it out.

06-22-05, 08:44 AM (EST)
64. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
Fishercat is exactly right. It's the weighted GPAs and AP classes that jack up the GPAs. We get many students at my university who have GPAs well above a 4.0.

06-22-05, 05:35 PM (EST)
66. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
Thanks for the explanations, guys! I went to a smallish private school and we didn't have weighted GPAs and such. Makes sense to me now! So I guess a 4.0 "ain't all that" as much anymore...lol.

06-23-05, 02:40 PM (EST)
70. "Will everyone get picked for the Showdown?"
LAST EDITED ON 06-23-05 AT 02:51 PM (EST)

Seeing as this seems to be the official Scholar thresd, I'll keep this here...

Alyssa (who, if I were doing a Love List, would be toward the bottom of it) mentions in her blog that everyone has made an Academic HoeShowdown except her.

Jeremy goes a little further:

It seems as though the Scholarship Committee wants to give everyone a shoot {sic} in a Showdown. After today's Showdown, everyone except for Alyssa will have made a Showdown, and I'm betting the next one will feature Alyssa.

ETA: One thing is for certain; at least two Scholars will be coming back to the AS for a second go-round.

So what do you think? Is Alyssa a stone cold lock for this week's AS, and has everyone been given "their turn" so far? Or do you think the Committee doesn't operate like that, and the results have just happened to work out that way?

Personally, I'd like to see her have to earn it, but I think she can, if she can channel her energy and will properly.

06-23-05, 02:56 PM (EST)
71. "RE: Will everyone get picked for the Showdown?"
I hadn't even realized that everyone but Alyssa had a turn. I hope that the judges have been making their decisions based on who they legitimately felt earned a place each week. They seem to be really careful in their analyses, discussing each student's contribution to the particular task. If Alyssa is given a place that she hasn't earned, than that would be so unfair to someone who is more deserving. All three judges strike me as having a lot of integrity and I hope the producers honor that. But as you said, Cyg, Alyssa has a lot of incentive to step up to the plate now, so, hopefully, she'll "channel her energy" and rise to the occasion.

06-23-05, 02:57 PM (EST)
72. "RE: Will everyone get picked for the Showdown?"
Is that actually true? Has Gerald been in a showdown?

It wouldn't surprise me if the Committee intended to give everyone a turn. As for earning it, the producers can edit it any way they want and make it look like she earned it.

Moves courtesy of Syren

06-23-05, 03:06 PM (EST)
74. "RE: Will everyone get picked for the Showdown?"
LAST EDITED ON 06-23-05 AT 03:16 PM (EST)

Tahj,
You're absolutely right that the producers can edit it any way they want. But I hope that if Alyssa is chosen, that she does deserve it because no matter how her performance is edited, the judges are still seeing the "real" thing, so they know who did the best. Of course, the producers may have convinced the judges that their goal was to give everyone a chance, so the judges may have to abide by that.

06-23-05, 04:21 PM (EST)
80. "RE: Will everyone get picked for the Showdown?"
Yes, I hope so too, RM.

Moves courtesy of Syren

06-23-05, 03:25 PM (EST)
76. "RE: Will everyone get picked for the Showdown?"
Gerald was in the Showdown in Week 2. He lost when he didn't know what attached muscles to bones. That was the one won by Scot.

06-23-05, 03:01 PM (EST)
73. "RE: Will everyone get picked for the Showdown?"
They are admissions professionals, so I'd have to say that their inclination would probably be to give everyone a chance to shine. However, like all admissions people, you have to earn your right to shine. I don't think they would pick someone just because they haven't had a turn yet. I haven't had a problem with how they picked all the others. Each one, IMHO, has stood out in the group challenge and earned their opportunity. Alyssa has not done enough to stand out in any of the challenges that I've seen. Jeremy did the first show, but not since. And we are talking about a group of really outstanding students, so the fact that each has seemed to have a "turn" doesn't surprise me.

06-23-05, 03:22 PM (EST)
75. "RE: Will everyone get picked for the Showdown?"
Does anyone remember if anyone has been in the showdown more than once, so far? I don't remember but now, of course, some of the kids will get a second or possibly even third chance.

06-23-05, 03:30 PM (EST)
77. "RE: Will everyone get picked for the Showdown?"
Showdowns:

Week 1
Davis, Jeremy, Melissa (Winner: Melissa)

Week 2
Scot, Gerald, Max (Winner: Scot)

Week 3
Milana, Liz, Amari (Winner: Milana)

06-23-05, 06:17 PM (EST)
83. "RE: Will everyone get picked for the Showdown?"
Thanks, Cyg, for answering my question. It'll be interesting to see who gets another chance.

06-23-05, 03:36 PM (EST)
78. "RE: Will everyone get picked for the Showdown?"
I'm not in the camp of They're Just Giving Everyone Their Turn either.

I think that was reflected in the performance of Amari this past week. She knew she'd been UTR too much the first two weeks and needed to step up and out, and during the community service challenge, she did that and then some.

I hope Alyssa knows the same thing and worries more about that . . . than when she can next get nuggle time with Max.

06-23-05, 04:20 PM (EST)
79. "RE: Will everyone get picked for the Showdown?"
You're probably right. I just tend to get a little skeptical based on all the other reality shows I've watched. I mean, take the episode this week where they clearly created a scenario from beginning to end to focus on Amari, and violá, look who's in the showdown. Not that she didn't deserve to be, based on what we saw. But I always wonder what we didn't see. Guess it can't be helped. This is entertainment, after all. That's why they chose to focus on the "relationship conflict" as well--who is Max going to choose. Did anyone else happen to notice that at least one other developing relationship--between Davis and Elizabeth--was not mentioned at all?

Moves courtesy of Syren

06-23-05, 05:39 PM (EST)
81. "RE: Will everyone get picked for the Showdown?"
I did notice that the Davis-Liz relationship had been moved to the back burner, Tahj. Maybe the producers decided Davis' initial 15 minutes of fame were up. But I got a strong sense in Episode 1 that there was also this weird thing going on between Davis and Alyssa; if she hated him so much, why didn't she just ignore the schmoe? And I really felt he was trying to win her over somehow.

You're right, there's much we'll never see, and ABC has no insider video that I know of to reveal more.

And . . . why are we talking about this, anyway? You said it, it's entertainment.

06-23-05, 06:16 PM (EST)
82. "RE: Will everyone get picked for the Showdown?"
LAST EDITED ON 06-23-05 AT 06:46 PM (EST)

Maybe this is just stating the obvious on my part but I bet that they have all the home footage and then just edit it in on the episode where the student does shine. That way we know about the teen, both on the show and in his/her home life. That would certainly be a less manipulative way to do it.
I just remembered that my most vivid memory of Alyssa is of her rolling her eyes during the whole Max episode. I liked the pairing of Liz and Davis, too. Alyssa's negativity towards Davis at the beginning did almost sound like a woman who protests too much. These are teenagers with raging hormones and seeing the pairings and crushes does make for additional entertainment.

06-28-05, 02:33 AM (EST)
84. "RE: Will everyone get picked for the Showdown?"
Tahj,
After you pointed out the relationship between the home scenarios and the showdowns last week, as soon as we saw the home footage of Liz and Davis, my first thought was "there goes some of the surprise". If they didn't play up Liz and Davis's relationship last week, they certainly made up for it tonight. It was pretty funny that Davis's script was as Liz said "art imitating life imitating art". I'm embarrassed to admit, though, that I'm still not clear how Davis's team movie captured the quote. I know that the last line was something like "Everything I learned, I learned from play" but I didn't see how the film illustrated that.
I'm really glad that the judges continued to choose with such integrity. Alyssa didn't deserve a place in the showdown. I don't think she even accepted responsibility for her own behavior. When she was upset, she wanted to know why "they" didn't like her or want her to succeed, rather than fully recognizing that her own negativity contributed to her situation.
Again,I was very impressed with how much these kids help each other. With only two spots left, for Davis (whose crush certainly contributed), Liz and Amari to study together, was truly admirable.

PhoenixMons 4696 desperate attention whore postings

06-28-05, 10:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PhoenixMons Click to send private message to PhoenixMons Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
85. "RE: Will everyone get picked for the Showdown?"
I thought the other team's movie did a much better job capturing the quote as well, but I thought both of them were too 'literal' in their use of the quote. For goodness sake, they both used the quote in some mangled form in their dialogue. If they have to spell it out, then it can't really be that great of an interpretation.

I'm surprised that at this point, anyone would want ot study with anyone else. I mean, you can be nice and friendly and helpful during challenges since that's what gets you to the showdown, but to potentially sacrifice your spot in the finals by helping someone else study is just silly. It's not like $50K is pocket change.

Am I the only one who was hoping Davis would cheat and put South Carolina on that map? And OMG, I would have SMOKED that map challenge (how simple is that?). My family's Thanksgiving Day tradition is to do a timed test of putting together a puzzle of the United States. My best time is 47 seconds, but I could do it in under a minute from the time I was eleven. I'm continually surprised by how simple these tasks are, but this one was just ridiculous.

Got blog?

06-28-05, 12:57 PM (EST)
86. "RE: Will everyone get picked for the Showdown?"
It would have been interesting to see if a different group of kids would still have studied together or if their more competitive natures would have come out. Jeremy did say that with all of them becoming so friendly, it was hard to keep a competitive spirit but there's only one spot left, so it's now or never.
What I think they should have now is "The Scholars Gone Wild: Five Kids, Twenty Days, For the love of Max". That could be a pretty explosive trip if Melissa, Alyssa and Max haven't resolved their situation.

06-28-05, 01:23 PM (EST)
88. "RE: Will everyone get picked for the Showdown?"
And Alyssa's travel buddy should be Davis

Beats me why he picked her. Still playing with her mind, maybe?

06-28-05, 01:30 PM (EST)
89. "Speculation - last showdown"
I expect to see Amari and Jeremy in the showdown for the last spot. We've seen the committee debate including Jeremy in the last two showdowns. We've also heard how impressed with Amari's leadership they are. Plus, both are regularly included in individual confessionals, so the editors want us to keep these two in our thoughts.

The committee is unimpressed with Davis, so unless he wins the captain's challenge and the team challenge again, he won't get into the showdown. I wonder if he did win captain's challenge again if his team would sabotage him to keep him out of the showdown, thinking that he's been there enough? If he does get to be captain again, he'd be smart to pick all of the people who haven't been to a showdown yet so that they'd be motivated to do their best to win the challenge.

Gerald is getting little screen time, and most of his confessional time is with other people, so this says to me that he is not a strong individual presence in the show.

So that leaves Max and Alyssa. Will Alyssa finally get a chance to prove herself in a showdown, or will her attitude again be her downfall? She may get her chance to shine if she ends up on a team other than Davis's. But part of me thinks that Max gets into and wins the last showdown, setting up more conflict between him and Melissa.

PhoenixMons 4696 desperate attention whore postings

06-28-05, 01:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PhoenixMons Click to send private message to PhoenixMons Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
90. "RE: Speculation - last showdown"
I agree with the Amari and Jeremy speculation. I'd be shocked if at least one of these two is not in the last showdown, and think they'll probably both make it. The editing for the show is pretty cut and dry (the 'stories' always surround two of the showdown people) and I've guessed who'd win the challenge each week, also thanks to the editing.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Max is the third person in the showdown. But I recall someone making a comment about wanting it to be 'anyone but Davis', so that could be foreshadowing to another Davis appearance.

Got blog?

06-28-05, 02:48 PM (EST)
92. "RE: Speculation - last showdown"
You guys are much better versed than I am at reading editing. But then again, you've watched a heckuva lot more reality TV than me too

So I could well be wrong about Amari.

06-30-05, 00:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cambo Click to send private message to cambo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
94. "RE: Speculation - last showdown"
>The editing for
>the show is pretty cut
>and dry (the 'stories' always
>surround two of the showdown
>people) and I've guessed who'd
>win the challenge each week,
>also thanks to the editing.

I'm right there with you. I've noticed that too. The episose where Scot won was the most obvious. They had that whole storyline of how his parents barely make any money compared to the others.

06-28-05, 01:16 PM (EST)
87. "By the numbers"
Coming into Week 5:

Into the Finals: Melissa, Scot, Milana, Liz

All have been in the Academic Showdown except Alyssa. (I agree, she's gone from the Mysterious Smart Girl to the Whiny One.)
Liz, Amari, and Davis have been in twice.

I predict that, no matter how well they do, it'll be tough for Davis or Amari to get named a third time.

06-28-05, 02:33 PM (EST)
91. "How about some finale speculation?"
I assume that there are two more episodes although my Tivo isn't listing any future episodes (hopefully, there's a July 4th Special this coming Monday pre-empting the show) so I wonder what the finale will consist of. There could be a series of interviews a la "The Apprentice" or there could be 5 teams of two, with each finalist picking, assigned, etc. a teammate and then a task for each team to perform; or something completely different. What are your thoughts?

06-28-05, 02:52 PM (EST)
93. "No Scholar on July 4"
You are correct, RM. Quick check of the ABC site confirms this.

07-12-05, 00:36 AM (EST)
95. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
LAST EDITED ON 07-12-05 AT 00:50 AM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 07-12-05 AT 00:45 AM (EST)

After tonight's show, I keep thinking "it was the best of times, it was the worst of times. I didn't realize how apropos the title to the Robin Williams movie "The Best of Times" was. Just as Robin's character relived his football fumble, I'm afraid that Davis is going to relive the question he mis-heard for a long time to come. It must have been so painful to hear it tonight. No matter how cocky Davis is, I still feel so badly for him. To have lost on a question he didn't know would have been one thing but to have lost this way is really so sad.
I didn't think that Alyssa deserved to be in the showdown, so I'm really glad that Amari is in the final five. She's worked hard every week and never gave up. I feel sorry for Jeremy because as Cygnus has said, he's put so much pressure on himself.
It's just such a shame that this show never attracted the audience it deserved. It has shown more integrity on every level of any show I can think of. It always treated the teens with respect. It constantly reinforced their positive qualities. The judges were really caring and took their job so seriously, determined to choose the best candidates each week.(Am I the only one who completely misunderstood the point of having all five prepare for the showdown- I thought they'd all be in it?)
I was hoping that this would be the freshman season but it looks like there won't be a sophomore year.

07-12-05, 02:31 AM (EST)
96. "Davis was only off by 100 years..."
RM, I have to agree with most of your points. I don't think Alyssa earned her way in tonight; Gerald might have been a better choice in my book. But not Jeremy. And he was absolutely crushed by not being selected.

I'm shedding no tears for Davis, and I seriously don't think he learned anything from this. It is precisely because he was overconfident in this particular competition that he lost. But of course the editing made it quite clear he wasn't going to win. I need to read it a little better to see that Amari was going to prevail. (She gets the Most Improved Award.)

The show has been a good concept. What has flushed it down the toilet has been the execution. The editing has been haphazard and clunky. In this episode, they clearly did not have enough material, so rob nelson had to pad things by telling us what we already knew . . . again and again and again. (Note that he was so bad at standups early on, he had almost none by this point!)

Taking all five to the showdown was just to drag out the drama. I knew only two would be selected.

You're right, I'd be very surprised to see this show return.

I'm pulling for local boy Scot. But given a choice of him, Milana, Liz, Amari, or Melissa, I'm not unhappy whoever wins.
And pity iwannabearealitystar, who's making her summary debut this week with this episode.

07-12-05, 09:53 AM (EST)
97. "RE: Davis was only off by 100 years..."
I don't feel bad for Davis. He blew it fair and square, even when Rob tried to prompt him into rethinking his answer. One can only hope that he has learned a hard lesson from his experience.

Predictions on the winner? I think it will be Melissa.

Moves courtesy of Syren

califan 34 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

07-12-05, 01:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail califan Click to send private message to califan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
98. "RE: Davis was only off by 100 years..."
i dont know, i hope its not mellissa, ever since the first week she has rubbed me the wrong way. theres something in her attitude thats very holier than thou

i was supprised they put amari in for a third time, i thought the committee was going to be more fair than that and not give people chance after chance after chance. whatever else you may say about him, davis, at least, earned his chances by winning as captain 3 times. i did think they would put jeremy in since he has been a focus in the interviews, and the scholarship committee short lists him every week, so that supprised me a little

i guess thats why the committee took so long to decide. but it seemed a little mean to me to make everyone study and get their hopes up

07-12-05, 03:17 PM (EST)
99. "RE: Davis was only off by 100 years..."
When it comes to reading edits, I could DEFINITELY be wrong, but I feel like Melissa's been getting the winner's edit, with Scot and Liz as outside shots. I doubt it will be either Milana or Amari.

07-13-05, 02:06 PM (EST)
101. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
I don't feel sorry for Davis either. His cockiness came back to bite him in the butt. Instead of listening to the question, he obviously already answered it in his head before the question was finished.

Even though I really enjoy the show I wouldn't be surprised if this were the last season either. The only reality shows about young adults that seem to do well in the ratings are the ones where they're either rich, stunningly gorgeous, overly obnoxious, or hooking up. I better stop before I go off on a 10 minute tirade...

mocha madness 251 desperate attention whore postings

07-12-05, 04:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mocha%20madness Click to send private message to mocha%20madness Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
100. "RE: Contrast with the Real World"
After so many positive responses on this link I gave the show a try last night, and I agree with most of you.....the show is very charming. I just knew from the edit that the cocky kid was going to lose, but the host did give him a chance to confirm his answer, and he still blew it. The big surprise to me was in the credits....the same Bunim-Murray group that gets those morons for the Real World shows are the producers. None of the kids on Scholar would qualify for the Real World....they are way too nice and well adjusted.

07-13-05, 02:53 PM (EST)
102. "RE: The Scholar: Brilliant kids, smart show"
LAST EDITED ON 07-13-05 AT 02:54 PM (EST)

I definitely feel like "the cheese" standing alone, taking pity on Davis but it's so ironic that he says something or jokes (a la "Gone With The Wind") and it comes back to haunt him. But he does have his own over-confidence to blame. It reminded me of an ex-President(who shall be nameless) who always seemed to be his own worst enemy, and was constantly shooting himself in the foot. I wish this show had a reunion episode because I'd like to see if Davis has learned a little humility after all this.
I went back to look at the very first episode to see if it gave any clues as to what the scholarship committee's ultimate thoughts were. They said that they were looking for "creativity", the "potential to learn and grow", "leadership" and standing up for what you believe in and then the voice-over talked about the "social" aspects. I think that Melissa is the most likely candidate to win the full scholarship but I think that Scot's being home-schooled and yet so personable may really play in his favor. I will be happy if either one wins but I would most like it to be Scot because I do feel that for him to do as well as he has in such a high-powered group, is a real tribute to him.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •