The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Searching Tasks Are Getting Old"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

Seana 5044 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-29-06, 01:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Seana Click to send private message to Seana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Searching Tasks Are Getting Old"
OK, so how many searching tasks are there usually? So far (and this is only Episode 5) we’ve had the Racers searching through:

- 1500 nesting dolls (Detour)
- field of Travelocity Gnome parts (Roadblock)
- wine bottles by breaking them over teammate's head (Detour)
- 2400 pieces of laundry (Detour)

Surely the great minds behind this program can come up with something else besides "looking through a lot of things to find the clue". Well, it’s not as if Italy has any culture or history for them to draw on when making up these Detours, right? No, of course not.

I had this all typed up and ready to post even before BJ and Tyler pointed out that they had already done a lot of searching.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Searching Tasks Are Getting Old vince3 03-29-06 1
   RE: Searching Tasks Are Getting Old Seana 03-29-06 4
 RE: Searching Tasks Are Getting Old tvgeek401 03-29-06 2
 Needle in a haystack realitybites 03-29-06 3
   RE: Needle in a haystack Earl Colby Pottinger 03-31-06 5
   RE: Needle in a haystack Lisa0116 04-04-06 9
 RE: Searching Tasks Are Getting Old Karchita 03-31-06 6
   RE: Searching Tasks Are Getting Old Earl Colby Pottinger 03-31-06 7
       RE: Searching Tasks Are Getting Old Deekeryu 04-01-06 8
 RE: Searching Tasks Are Getting Old cahaya 04-20-06 10
   RE: Searching Tasks Are Getting Old Cygnus X1 04-20-06 11
 RE: Searching Tasks Are Getting Old bullzeye 04-20-06 12
   RE: Searching Tasks Are Getting Old Seana 04-20-06 13
 Our newest searches.... vince3 04-26-06 14
   RE: Our newest searches.... Earl Colby Pottinger 04-27-06 15
       RE: Our newest searches.... byoffer 04-27-06 16
           RE: Our newest searches.... vince3 04-27-06 17

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

03-29-06, 03:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Searching Tasks Are Getting Old"
You forgot ransacking 3 various office buildings for hidden clues (Leg 1 Detour, Helicopter Choice)

03-29-06, 09:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Seana Click to send private message to Seana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Searching Tasks Are Getting Old"
*smacks self*

You're right. I remember reminding myself to add that. This is why I thought the list needed another item. Good grief.

Also: I agree with both tvgeek and realitybites: these tasks rely too much on luck, and bring on the gross food! Anything but more searches.

tvgeek401 1615 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

03-29-06, 03:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tvgeek401 Click to send private message to tvgeek401 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Searching Tasks Are Getting Old"
I was thinking the same thing last week.
I can handle one searching task, maybe two, but four (already) is excessive.

IMO, these searching tasks put too much stake on luck and not enough on racers' abilities. A good team could run into some really bad luck while a mediocre team could end up winning. Not fair.

But I suppose one could argue that three of the four were detours, so teams could have opted for the other task, but it's still not very exciting to watch.

--gotta love Tribe and his awesome siggies!
stupid glorified easter egg hunts.

realitybites 1174 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

03-29-06, 05:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail realitybites Click to send private message to realitybites Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Needle in a haystack"
I call this general group the "Needle in a haystack" searches. While a few are OK, they've definitely overdosed this time around. Much as I don't like them, at this point I'd prefer a gross food eating challenge.

Earl Colby Pottinger 2597 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

03-31-06, 00:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to send private message to Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Needle in a haystack"
While Italian tends to taste good - does anyone know if they still eat the same Roman food sauce today as in the past? You know the one made from rotten ungutted fish? That sounds nasty.

Lisa0116 688 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-04-06, 12:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lisa0116 Click to send private message to Lisa0116 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Needle in a haystack"
>I call this general group the
>"Needle in a haystack" searches.
> While a few are
>OK, they've definitely overdosed this
>time around. Much as
>I don't like them, at
>this point I'd prefer a
>gross food eating challenge.

Me, too!! I can never forget the caviar or the hugarian soup challenges. And what about (puke-they annoy me) Romber and the meat thing. Bring on the gross food!!!

Karchita 4483 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

03-31-06, 04:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Karchita Click to send private message to Karchita Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Searching Tasks Are Getting Old"
I kinda liked the statue assembly project, and I thought the extra pieces were a nice, diabolical twist.

03-31-06, 09:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to send private message to Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Searching Tasks Are Getting Old"
Truely evil If R&Y had not gotten lost and the D&D been yielded (something the producers can not predict) the ending to the show would have been so tight that just those two pieces and how the assemblers react to them would make it very hard to predict who would be out or not.

We need more tasks with these kind of twists in them.

Deekeryu 136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-01-06, 01:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Deekeryu Click to send private message to Deekeryu Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Searching Tasks Are Getting Old"
Wow, till you listed that, there is lots of searching tasks this time around. I didn't know there were 2400 laundry pieces. It looked a lot less.

But yeah, they need more physical, or doing stuff type tasks.

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

04-20-06, 00:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Searching Tasks Are Getting Old"
And now searching a bunch of dirt mounds for dinner, with background music provided by an obnoxious camel (Grrrrrrrrnt!).

Geez, if they're gonna have search tasks, make them before the bunching points, not just before the pit stop! It would be unfair for a leading team to get Philiminated due to sheer randomness, as BJ & Tyler almost did this week, being saved by the NE round.

An Arkie Asian creation, with Foo dog images by Bob.

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings

04-20-06, 08:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Cygnus%20X1 Click to send private message to Cygnus%20X1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Searching Tasks Are Getting Old"
Wonder what the Aiellos thought as they saw that?

I know, theirs wasn't a searching task.

bullzeye 5030 desperate attention whore postings

04-20-06, 11:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bullzeye Click to send private message to bullzeye Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Searching Tasks Are Getting Old"
I thought of this thread as I was watching last night - yet another searching task allowing randomness to risk a strong team. Thank goodness it was a non-elimination round.

04-20-06, 12:29 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Searching Tasks Are Getting Old"
Thank goodness it was a non-elimination round.

Agreed.

I really just felt so badly for BJ. How awful to be stuck searching pile after pile and everyone else just come and go. I wondered if it was going to be a Lena/Kristy* type Philimination.

I didn't think much of the Tower-searching task. The camel thing was good, though. Every time there's a search task, I wonder what other types of things they could do in the country they're in. I have no thoughts about a local-type task for Oman, though.

*For those who don't know/can't remember, L/K were from TAR6. They had to search through rolls of hay in a field for an RB. Whoever did the task had a very hard time of it. Eventually, Phil had to come out to the field to eliminate them. They never even made it to the Mat.

04-26-06, 11:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "Our newest searches...."
The sea part of the detour: 50 crawfish cages only so many had an actual crawfish. Both teams must present a crawfish to the fisherman for a clue.

At the Roadblock, Scavenger Product Placement Hunt Tour! First find Duracell flashlight and batteries. Then find the hidden tunnels. Take a tour of the tunnels until you find a clue.

Does that put our total up to 10 searches now? Or at least very close to 10?

04-27-06, 02:37 AM (EST)
15. "RE: Our newest searches...."
Yes, but on the plus sides.

1) You can open your eyes underwater and look into the cage before you reach it, it may even be possible to view the inside of more than one change at a time.

2) Unless I saw it wrong each team member must get crawfish. Not one person with all the work.

3) Were the cage close enought that diffirent members could search diffirent cages at the same time?

byoffer 15947 desperate attention whore postings

04-27-06, 08:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Our newest searches...."
No plus side. They were still searching. There seemed to be a natural line of the cages in the water, so Eric & Jeremy, by getting there first, had the advantage of finding the closer full traps. MoJo had to swim further out to find their lobsters.

Sure, each person had to get a lobster, but that doesn't mean it wasn't another boring / lucky search challenge.

I don't like the search challenges. But they are the opposite of the bunching challenges because first come gets an advantage over those who come later.

04-27-06, 09:08 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Our newest searches...."
LAST EDITED ON 04-27-06 AT 09:10 PM (EST)

I think ECP meant we are now over 10 searches for the race at this point.

Because 3 Vinces are better than one.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •