The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"We can no longer use cast interviews as spoilers!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

shakes the clown 3366 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-14-01, 01:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shakes%20the%20clown Click to send private message to shakes%20the%20clown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"We can no longer use cast interviews as spoilers!"
I think it is pretty clear that Burn-it has gotten to the cast and now has them saying specific things in order to generate confusion on these boards...

Remember way back to this past weekend when Varner told a Pittsburg area newspaper that "Amber is gonna suprise some people in the coming weeks." Plain and simple, that is a bald faced lie as we all know from watching ep.11

Now, all of the sudden we have Lamber confirming the existence of the GGA. I, for one, am going to use this in my speculating as evidence that there is NO GGA.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: We can no longer use cast inter... Dalton 04-14-01 1
 Bump shakes the clown 04-24-01 2
   RE: Bump missalex 04-24-01 3
   RE: Bump Play2Survive 04-24-01 4
       RE: Bump Outfrontgirl 04-25-01 5
           Rodger's bad English SurvivinDawg 04-25-01 6
               RE: Rodger's bad English dabo 04-25-01 7
               RE: Rodger's bad English Bebo 04-25-01 9
               RE: Rodger's bad English PokeyOkie 04-25-01 11
                   RE: Rodger's bad English volmel 04-25-01 12
           RE: Bump landruajm 04-25-01 8
               Rodger's smarts and comments Outfrontgirl 04-25-01 10
                   RE: Rodger's smarts and comments dabo 04-25-01 13

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Dalton 1271 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

04-14-01, 02:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Dalton Click to send private message to Dalton Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: We can no longer use cast interviews as spoilers!"
Frankly Shakes, listening to anything these S2
losers say in the media and on intervews

(after MB's "debriefing process"...
I shudder and fight the desire to call
it "brainwashing ala torture")....

puts me in mind of an old expression:

"EVEN A BROKEN CLOCK IS RIGHT TWICE A DAY!"

Methinks mefaith shall not be invested in the
likehood that lame brains like Amber MIGHT be
RIGHT about anything.

Dalton

shakes the clown 3366 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-24-01, 09:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shakes%20the%20clown Click to send private message to shakes%20the%20clown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "Bump"
...thought I'd throw this up to the top before everyone gets to excited about anything Rodger says in an interview or chat.

missalex 35 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-24-01, 09:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail missalex Click to send private message to missalex Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Bump"
That is completely correct, and pretty close what I responed to the Rodger message with (I didn't look that there was this thread first - sorry)!

Play2Survive 270 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-24-01, 09:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Play2Survive Click to send private message to Play2Survive Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Bump"
Yes! Funny....I just basically said the same thing in the Rosie thread. I am suspect that Rodger (unable to lie as well as Varner) was ill at ease with the whole prospect of being deceptive at MB's prompting. I was snowed at the Amber boot - ruining an otherwise good record - because I believed Varner. No way I'm falling for it again. Question is: would Rodger do this?

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-25-01, 03:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Bump"
I don't think for a minute Rodger would do a sneaky lie. Look at his chat where he still bums out because he told Debb something and then changed his mind. Now Varner, he revels in that kind of thing. No problem there.

Sure, Rodger stands there on Dave and says, yep, each of them left's got a purty good chance; that's just SOP. The Rosie thing would have been subtle and underhanded. Besides which, why deliver your sneaky subversive red herring when Rosie's drowning you out and most of the people won't catch it?

I don't think he's into trying that kind of lying: he would just say to MB: sorry, skipper, but I'm not the guy for this here job; you want a Harvard man or an internet project manager."

I'm with Shakes on not trusting Rodger's grasp of the subjunctive tense or any other grammatical fine points. As a former English grad student, I've graded some shockingly poor grammar even at Cal, but I'm genuinely shocked that a teacher with a Masters in Education would speak like Rodger, even in Kentucky. I'm trying to lose my negative stereotypes about schoolin' in the South and he's just not helping.

Back to cast interviews:
You can instruct dumb people not to say dumb things but you can't make them smart enough not to trip up now and then.

My secret identity clue: Not Dave Letterman, but we have the same birthday (gratuitous Drew Barrymore birthday flash).

Disclaimer: Just because I can mock other people's grammar doesn't mean I should be held to any standards in my own usage on the Internet.

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings

04-25-01, 06:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "Rodger's bad English"
The way I'm seeing it, Rodger is trying to answer the question but not answer the question. He's trying NOT to give anything away and in the process gets tongue tied.

He's saying "would've" as a conditional tense, but it comes across to most of us as saying that Lis is gone.

As to Rodger's general Engish abilities: 1) He was a CEO of a bank for 12 years, which means he AIN'T dumb. 2) His words at the Internet Cafe where he says "You wouldn't believe the things I saw or done." shocked me that he didn't have a better command of the English language.

*** Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

"I've never been bored a day in my life. Only boring people get bored." -- Jerri Manthey

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

04-25-01, 10:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Rodger's bad English"
From what I could tell, it seems to me Rodger is a pretty smart guy, just not sophisticated in being a mediastar. Everything that we're waiting to see these last two weeks, that all is stuff from last year to Rodger, so it could just be that he just hasn't quite got a handle on how to pick his tenses over this stuff. I don't think MB is particularly concerned about what any of them say so long as none of them come out with a clear revelation about the outcome, who goes next, who got their vote in the final tc, stuff like that; after all, all the publicity and buzz, it's all was good.

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

04-25-01, 11:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Rodger's bad English"
I think SD and dabo have hit the nail on the head when pointing out Rodger's inexperience in dealing with the talk-show circuit. Add to that the contract and lawsuit clauses hanging over his head, and I can certainly understand why he would stumble over his words. And remember, he was on Rosie, and she can make even celebrities experienced with the talk-show experience stumble and bumble (anyone remember the whole Tom Selleck/NRA debacle?).

As for Rodger's English skills because of his position as an ex-CEO...I have an MBA and work with some brilliant people. There are a lot of them who cannot string together a coherent sentence in a memo, or in a public setting, you name it. I've been amazed at the poor grammar used by some very high-level people within organizations. So many of them would look like total idiots to the outside world if it weren't for their subordinates cleaning up the documents, speeches, etc. before they went out the door.

<<time for an OT plug...This is Administrative Professionals Week, so three cheers for those folks who make the higher-ups look a whole lot smarter! >>

PokeyOkie 94 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-25-01, 03:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PokeyOkie Click to send private message to PokeyOkie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Rodger's bad English"
>>>1) He was a CEO of a bank for 12 years, which means he AIN'T dumb.

Crittenden, Kentucky's population is 731. Need I say more?

>>>2) "You wouldn't believe the things I saw or done."

Hey, ease up on Rodger. After all, I sawed some of those things too, though I didn't done any of them. <g>

Either way, Rodger would be considerably uncomfortable presenting any intentional false-truths. The fact that he still brings up his having misled Debb, you can read him like a book, as long as it's a Roy Clark "Big Note" Guitar book.

Pokey

"You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose. But you can't wipe your friends on the couch."

volmel 362 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

04-25-01, 03:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail volmel Click to send private message to volmel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Rodger's bad English"
Ouch.

This is Big Orange and Tina Wesson country.

landruajm 6040 desperate attention whore postings

04-25-01, 10:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail landruajm Click to send private message to landruajm Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Bump"
I agree...Rodger doesn't seem to be the kind of person interested in participating in a lot of complicated sneakiness. Which begs a question about why he played the game, but that's been covered elsewhere.

As for his grammar: sometimes smart people talks dumb...for any of a number of reasons.

Landru
Internet Project Manager

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings

04-25-01, 01:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "Rodger's smarts and comments"
I didn't mean to say I thought Rodger was dumb, so I want to clear that up. I think he's an intelligent man and I admire Rodger. It's actually Amber who annoys me. I hoped she would display more smarts in the game given her opportunities.

My point about coaching from MB was simply that, as you've said above, a directive not to give things away can't prepare people to perfectly field the queries of experienced interviewers.
Rodger said, in his chat, that he looked forward the most to Rosie's show, because she's sympathetic to the Survivors, so he was probably at his highest comfort level/least guarded with her.

It's because I know Rodger's business and educational background that I'm surprised at the use of "hick" grammar. I can only suppose that it's the style that fits in where he lives so he's become accustomed to those speech patterns.

I agree that he was trying to put the answer about Lis into the conditional in the past tense. He was trying not to state whether she had won or not. Nevertheless, if Lis had gotten to F2, I feel as if Rodger would radiate a little more emotion about the final outcome.

Lastly, in his final chat, he comments (paraphrased) that some of the Final 5 probably got to the end by backstabbing, but that he doesn't think that's who they are when not playing the game.
When asked about Colby, he replies that Colby was playing the game as heavily as anyone.

I get the feeling that the hard-playing players (not Lis) get to the end, and that Rodger doesn't hold their tactics against them, even though he himself didn't prove to be good at the game aspect (by his assessment).

This contrasts with the attitude of Jerri and Amber towards backstabbing strategy, which to them equals true betrayal.
I'm still of the mind that the jury will divide along the lines of the 'anti-backstabbers' vs. the 'most successful player' faction, complicated of course by individual relationships.
I think it will come down to 2 Ogies, so the K's (extinct) will have to look for other criteria than tribal affiliation.

Sorry if this veered off the original thread topic.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

04-25-01, 03:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Rodger's smarts and comments"
>It's because I know Rodger's business
>and educational background that I'm
>surprised at the use of
>"hick" grammar. I can
>only suppose that it's the
>style that fits in where
>he lives so he's become
>accustomed to those speech patterns.
>
The one part of Rodger's strategy that he maintained until it became a choice of himself or Elisabeth was "the Kentucky Joe act" (note his statements in confessional in the filler episode), so he may be trying to maintain that as public persona until all this blows over and he can just get back to his regular life.

Thanks for veering off, by the way, that was interesting stuff.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •