The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Latest Nanny 911"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

Cyndimaus 3117 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

05-18-05, 04:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cyndimaus Click to send private message to Cyndimaus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Latest Nanny 911"
I'd love to get your opinion on the most recent Nanny 911 with the single mom who had lost her husband. It was sad to see the rage in the girl and then how well she responded to Nanny Deb. It didn't seem she had to make too much effort. Yet I see the mom actually asking the girl what is wrong when she is crying over the box of mementos of her dad instead of just holding her and having that shared moment together. But it was good to see mom relating better to her daughter by the end.

And what do you think of the nanny shows in general? This may have been discussed before but I was curious as to what the opinions are out there. I personally enjoy watching them (especially encouraging me that my own kids aren't really so bad!) I learn more about parenting from Supernanny, though.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Latest Nanny 911 Puffy 05-22-05 1
 RE: Latest Nanny 911 HistoryDetective 05-23-05 2
   RE: Latest Nanny 911 Cyndimaus 05-24-05 3
       RE: Latest Nanny 911 Dakota 05-25-05 4
           RE: Latest Nanny 911 shabalaba 05-25-05 5
               RE: Latest Nanny 911 DonnaLynn 05-27-05 6
                   RE: Latest Nanny 911 universityofkentuckyrocks 06-07-05 7
                   RE: Latest Nanny 911 Cyndimaus 06-07-05 10
           RE: Latest Nanny 911 DRONES 06-07-05 8
               RE: Latest Nanny 911 Cyndimaus 06-07-05 9

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Puffy 6702 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-22-05, 08:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Puffy Click to send private message to Puffy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Latest Nanny 911"

That was the only one of the Nanny shows that I've missed so I hope to catch it in re-runs. I love both Nanny shows. They make me think about all the good and bad things I did as a mom. Sometimes they make me feel like I wasn't so bad after all; other times, I feel like everything I did was a big mistake.

I work with little children so the shows have given me lots of information to relate to the parents.

HistoryDetective 9516 desperate attention whore postings

05-23-05, 02:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Latest Nanny 911"
As if losing her husband wasn't bad enough, that poor woman had to deal withthose children 24/7. It looked like a living hell to me.

a sig by syren (I had mine before you had yours!)

05-24-05, 07:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cyndimaus Click to send private message to Cyndimaus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Latest Nanny 911"
I felt bad for her. She looked genuinely scared of her 9 year old daughter. I don't know why she wasn't willing to stand up to her and take back control. It was sad to see her backing away and flinching and such. And then seeing the girl's softer side made you feel bad for her since she obviously wasn't getting what she needed in order to deal with her grief over losing her father.

Dakota 5819 desperate attention whore postings

05-25-05, 02:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Dakota Click to send private message to Dakota Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Latest Nanny 911"
I watched that one and I, too, had a real problem with the mother backing away from the daughter. I was saying "Grab her. Stop her." My feeling was the daughter had to be physically restrained in order to get her to admit to and deal with her real feelings. It's sad that losing their dad was something that was soooooo not dealt with by any of them that the result was devastating. Both the son and daughter commented that the mother didn't seem to understand or acknowledge their feelings about their father's death.

The mother who complained that sleeping with the kids was such a problem -- and then we find out that she's the one who doesn't want to stop sleeping with the kids -- for the kids it wasn't a problem at all.

The fathers often act like "this is your job, you're the problem, this is all you have to do, why can't you get it right..." -- disgusting. And it turns out that the kids treatment of their mother is a direct result of dad's attitude.
In fact, one of the Nanny 911 couples ended up being shown the following week dealing with their problems, minus the kids.

I have watched a number of these shows, and sometimes the problems are obvious to the viewer, the solutions? not so much. But I think if people with problematic home situations watch these shows, they might see "themselves", and gain some insight into changes they can make.

Charter Member: Club Anti-DAW

shabalaba 369 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

05-25-05, 04:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shabalaba Click to send private message to shabalaba Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Latest Nanny 911"
I too was greatly disturbed by the behavior of the little girl. One thing I noticed that was different from SuperNanny is that Jo will run a commentary, telling the parent what to do and say while the misbehavior is going on. On this nanny 911, the nanny stayed off to one side and even when the child was getting physically abusive, she did not interfere...different styles I guess...

DonnaLynn 582 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-27-05, 03:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DonnaLynn Click to send private message to DonnaLynn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Latest Nanny 911"
As someone who lost a parent at a young age (I was 15 when my mother died unexpectadly and out of the blue from cancer and I was joined to her at the hip my whole life) I couldn't believe that little girl.

If I would have tried for one minute to act like that towards my dad he would have turned me over on his knee and let me have it! The reason she did this is because she COULD!

A child can only go as far as we let them go. The mother was thrust into this role because she never did dicipline before.

I guess I was lucky. My father was the diciplinarion but he was also very loving. Even though my mom was the nurturer of the house, my dad always told us kids he loved us, played with us, always knew how to have fun with us.

I remember after she died and all the relatives and friends had all gone, he told me "well, it's just you and me now." That made such a difference because we were able to talk about her, cry, reminice, whatever we wanted together.

I only hope that more parents will learn how to be both loving and strict at the same time.

As far as a reply to an earlier post about the mom trying to talk to the girl instead of just listening and holding her being wrong. That's really not fair. It's almost impossible to know what to do to help someone grief-stricken. Everyone reacts differently when something like this happens. I turned to an emotional wreck and still to this day, love to remember all the things my mom did with me when I was a kid. My brother was the opposite. He lashed out and was extremely angry. That night some friends had to hold him down because he wanted to go out and kill someone because it wasn't fair that there were murderers on the streets but his mother was gone. Then my older sister who was married and had a child at this point took on the "motherly role" and tried to be strong in front of me. Now that I'm a grown adult and married she's finally able to cry with me about mom but while I was a kid she just wasn't able to do that in front of me.

So no, I do not think that the mom was wrong, she was just trying to do the best she could. However, when that little girl almost pushed her down the stairs I could not believe that Nanny Deb didn't step in. The mother could have been killed and then she would have been an orphan...

--Donna :~)

universityofkentuckyrocks 2575 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

06-07-05, 01:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail universityofkentuckyrocks Click to send private message to universityofkentuckyrocks Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Latest Nanny 911"
I saw this one and I said that is just rude. If I were the parent it would be No TV, No NOTHING until that attitude is changed. I would take away all their toys and put it an unidsclosed location and tell them you'll get it whenn you change your attitude. I bet that would do it. They would have No toys for a whole week and after that week I would add one thing if they acted good but if they did a tantrum it would be back to one week without everything.

06-07-05, 08:41 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Latest Nanny 911"
Donna, I was thinking about what you said in response to what I had posted and I realized (and really did already know it) that there is no "one right way" to respond to grief. It's just too easy to be the armchair quarterback, so to speak, and that's what my comment really was. (kind of like knowing all the answers when you're watching a game show at home without all the pressure) And I can see how if the mom is struggling with her grief plus the behavior of her kids that she would maybe not quite know how to deal with her daughter's drastic changes in mood and behavior. (which are natural in kids dealing with grief or really anything in life!)

DRONES 615 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

06-07-05, 07:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail DRONES Click to send private message to DRONES Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Latest Nanny 911"
Funny how people can watch the same thing and have a completely different interpretation. Most of the fathers seem to want to help but are unsure how to help, and when they do are often criticized. The nannies presence often seems to liberate the fathers, as they always seem more willing to go along with what they(the nannies) are suggesting than the mothers.

DRONES

06-07-05, 08:37 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Latest Nanny 911"
I've noticed that about the fathers too. It seems they are usually the most reluctant at first but once they realize it works they jump in full force and really make a change. It amazes me how many times it is the mother who wanted to call and then she is the most resistent. I guess it's hard to have someone coming into your house telling you what you are doing wrong, even if you know what they are saying is true, but I have a smaller amount of sympathy since they invited the advice.

I must say that it is encouraging to see the fathers getting more involved with their kids. You really do need to have both parents involved instead of one doing it all and the other just hanging around. And having someone to back you up makes it so much better!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •