The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Content "
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Starting Over General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

janethappygirl 13 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

10-18-05, 01:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail janethappygirl Click to send private message to janethappygirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Content "
Has anyone noticed that the subjects for the Starting Over contestants on the website are petty issues? I am turning 50 in wks and struggle with the empty nest. Not just the basic empty nest either. My eldest son is on his second tour in Iraq and my youngest son lives a lifestyle I disapprove of. I struggle to get through the day all the while beating myself up over what I could've done different that my children would not play with danger such as alcohol. I struggle with the safety of my grown children and the emptiness of my purpose. I always thought my purpose in life was for my children and my precious husband, but I am lost now. I am reading the Purpose Filled Life and although it is an excellent book, so far, it isn't practical for daily living. I understand the roll that God has in my life and am truly grateful for His assistance in all I have been faced with but I am looking for coping skills to survive my grown children and their life choices. "Empty Nest" is very empty and it is very lonely.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Content iamforreal 10-18-05 1
   RE: Content sneakpeek 10-18-05 2
 RE: Content Cyahd 10-18-05 3
   RE: Content Sharon_L 10-18-05 4
       RE: Content GreenSideUp 10-18-05 5
           RE: Content Sharon_L 10-18-05 7
               RE: Content HistoryBuff 10-18-05 9
                   RE: Content iamforreal 10-18-05 11
                       RE: Content HistoryBuff 10-18-05 12
                       RE: Content my turn 10-18-05 13
                       RE: Content bentherdunthat 10-19-05 17
           RE: Content janethappygirl 10-18-05 8
               RE: Content GreenSideUp 10-18-05 10
 RE: Content yogabrat 10-18-05 6
   RE: Content my turn 10-18-05 14
       RE: Content janethappygirl 10-18-05 15
 RE: Content susang 10-19-05 16
   RE: Content dgibson 10-19-05 18

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

iamforreal 117 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

10-18-05, 01:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail iamforreal Click to send private message to iamforreal Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Content "
I am struck by your comments...wow....

*sigh* and am feeling the same way... devoted myself to marriage and kids for 20 years, found out the marriage ENDED.. so... I have been struggling as well with a sense of purpose...

hang in there....

Perhaps find a way to give to someone or something... giving is how we get...

Peace,
s

sneakpeek 120 desperate attention whore postings

10-18-05, 01:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sneakpeek Click to send private message to sneakpeek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Content "
You need to stay busy. I went nuts when my kids left and I was able to retire from my job. I was only 50. I spent four years being in a rut. I started to do some volunteer work and now I am addicted to it. Go to a school or go to the food bank in your area. I started at the senior center. I spent so much time worrying about my grown kids and there was nothing I could do to protect them anymore. My husband owns his own business and I had nothing. I kept thinking I needed to go back to work - but I'm glad I didn't. It's nice to be able to only work when I want to.

Cyahd 78 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

10-18-05, 01:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cyahd Click to send private message to Cyahd Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Content "
Just a reminder.....the issues are not "petty" for those going through them.

On a personal note though to you....please don't beat yourself up over what you should've could've done. Love your kids for who they are, not who you wish they would be. More importantly....love you!

My prayers go out to you.

Cyahd

Sharon_L 260 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

10-18-05, 02:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sharon_L Click to send private message to Sharon_L Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Content "
LAST EDITED ON 10-18-05 AT 02:26 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 10-18-05 AT 02:25 PM (EST)

Maybe we should be grateful many of the hg's issues are petty.

The pettier, the better, since I don't believe either coaches are equipped or willing to take on serious issues. The stupid exercises tell me that. Take a recovering prostitute and make her play games on the street? nah...

Simple fact is, it's not a place for anyone with life-altering issues or deep problems. Period.

SOH is a great place for the Lisa types who have nothing better to do and would be far too threatened working on her problems with a genuine professional.

Best wishes to you and your family. I have two sons and cannot imagine them serving time in Iraq.

Sorry, forgot to add,

Empty Nest Syndrome is the pits. I thought I was prepared but ended up I was blindsided by emotions that hit me like a rock.
What I want to tell you is that mine dissipated slowly....but surely. What didn't help were people joking about it---ermm..sorta like menopause.

Take care, ~Sharon

GreenSideUp 274 desperate attention whore postings

10-18-05, 02:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail GreenSideUp Click to send private message to GreenSideUp Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Content "
LAST EDITED ON 10-18-05 AT 02:35 PM (EST)

Yikes, I hardly think cancer, getting over the deaths of your children, or getting off welfare are petty.

We need to remember in life that people will not always do what we want them to do. Our children are adults. What they do is not always done with their parents in mind. It wouldn't be healthy anyway.

Sharon_L 260 desperate attention whore postings

10-18-05, 02:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sharon_L Click to send private message to Sharon_L Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Content "
>LAST EDITED ON 10-18-05
>AT 02:35 PM (EST)

>
>Yikes, I hardly think cancer, getting
>over the deaths of your
>children, or getting off welfare
>are petty.

All quite serious, yes. But my point is none of the really life-altering issues will be addressed to any significant degree.
Instead, the coaches will veil them with ongoing silliness, aka, 'exercises/assignments'. (Allison needs to get out of there, and get out fast.)

HistoryBuff 7 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

10-18-05, 03:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryBuff Click to send private message to HistoryBuff Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Content "
I couldn't agree more, Sharon! This is television entertainment, not real-life therapy. Life-altering issues can require months, if not years, of professional therapy - not 6-8 weeks of so-called "life coaching". So, of course, the producers are going to weed out women with more complex issues from their "casting calls". (And isn't it interesting that's what they're called? Just as though they're looking for women to be "cast" in certain roles. Hmm?)

I also agree with your assessment of the coaches' professional training. I mean, come on, has anyone looked at Rhonda's CV? She has a B.A. in Marketing, just like the mailroom clerk in my office. At least Iyanla has legitimately serious academic credentials. And, once you cut past her innate drama, I do think she has substantial guidance to offer. Rhonda, I've come to feel, is nothing more than a celebrity wannabe who has parlayed her tragic personal family history into a career.

Sorry about all that. . .I'm stepping off my soapbox now!

iamforreal 117 desperate attention whore postings

10-18-05, 04:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail iamforreal Click to send private message to iamforreal Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Content "
history buff,

What tragic circumstances did Rhonda overcome?

Pray tell.

HistoryBuff 7 desperate attention whore postings

10-18-05, 04:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryBuff Click to send private message to HistoryBuff Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Content "
When she was in her teens, her father shot her mother to death in front of her and then committed suicide. She has said that she attempted suicide several times during the ensuing years until she decided life is a choice - she could choose to continue to be haunted by her past or put it behind her and choose happiness as a goal.

my turn 2 desperate attention whore postings

10-18-05, 04:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail my%20turn Click to send private message to my%20turn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Content "
Hey I had read somewhere, Rhonda's book,I think...that her father murdered her mother right in front of her. Awful, I didn't realize that she had no psych training, but the school of hard knocks does prepare us for some compassion. My turn

bentherdunthat 518 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

10-19-05, 12:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bentherdunthat Click to send private message to bentherdunthat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Content "
Just adding on here...she also was in an abusive marriage and she is a recovering alcoholic. Rhonda's had some issues. So has Iyanla.

10-18-05, 02:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail janethappygirl Click to send private message to janethappygirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Content "
I didn't mean that greensideup...I meant the subjects that are listed for future contestants on the website

GreenSideUp 274 desperate attention whore postings

10-18-05, 03:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail GreenSideUp Click to send private message to GreenSideUp Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Content "
ooops, my bad.

yogabrat 37 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

10-18-05, 02:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail yogabrat Click to send private message to yogabrat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Content "
Janet,
I found that once I got over the sadness of not being "hands on" mom anymore, I completely enjoy my nest. It isn't empty. It's full of my stuff. This can be a wonderful time in your life. Pat yourself on the back for raising your kids and then start taking care of yourself.

Doing something for someone else is a great way to get over your own sadness. There are kids out there who would love to have you volunteer at their school or tutor them in a library or be in charge of their cub scout group. Your skills are still needed, just in a different way.

I wish you all the best as you enter this new phase of your life.

my turn 2 desperate attention whore postings

10-18-05, 04:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail my%20turn Click to send private message to my%20turn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Content "
I think that this time without the children in the house should be used by you and your husband (if there is one) Otherwise spend the time readjusting... for example paint one of the rooms in your house a bold new color. I have tried to find what I like now that my children are gone. (They truly aren't gone, as they like in town, so I still see them.) This time is for you and to realize what makes you happy. Don't try and rush it though, this is a grieving process. It will take time, but hang in there and may God bless you, Always, Terri

10-18-05, 08:23 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Content "
I agree Terri, we just moved in a new home and I am busy with that. The problem is not that I have too much time, but that I feel useless to my children. My one son is in Iraq and I worry and pray for him constantly (not to mention dream about him) and my younger son (also not at home) drinks and partys non-stop and I worry about him. I guess I am worried about both boys safety, and they are not little anymore and I can't provide that "safety net" for them anymore...it's hard to let go.

susang 435 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

10-19-05, 12:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail susang Click to send private message to susang Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Content "
SO should feature a housemate who is dealing with empty nest syndrome.

I would be especially pleased if the show would cover the topic of unemployment/layoff.

There are some life situations that are harder to deal with when one is over 40.

dgibson 76 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

10-19-05, 01:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dgibson Click to send private message to dgibson Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Content "
One thing I love about the SO threads is that people are very supportive of eachother. This touches my heart to know that support is out there for us when we need it. (I am not in this season of my life, but when I am, I will call!!)

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •