The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Starting Over General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

eire_heart74 1231 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

02-22-06, 01:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail eire_heart74 Click to send private message to eire_heart74 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
Ok, maybe I am being fussy, but did anyone else find it very offensive when she put Kelly in a straight jacket. I know she had a point of asking for help. Couldn't that concept be taught in another way. Even handcuffs would of been better.

With Kelly's mother's mental health history, I just found the exercise flip and silly. I felt it demeaned what that woman went through.

I think Rhonda between TJ in a box and this one, she's just getting way to over the top.

Just my two cents but that's why we are all here isn't it!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket staceeturner 02-22-06 1
   RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket ashoka 02-22-06 2
 RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket tall_darkandscary 02-22-06 3
   RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket Zoey 02-22-06 4
       RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket SASSI 02-22-06 5
 RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket lovemydogdude 02-22-06 6
   RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket shawnar 02-22-06 7
       RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket beckettrep 02-23-06 16
 RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket susan765 02-22-06 8
 RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket Cleverone 02-22-06 9
   RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket EMTBGRL 02-22-06 10
       RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket GoodnightLittleBear 02-22-06 11
           RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket julli96 02-22-06 13
       RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket tac_2 02-22-06 12
           RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket justfionablue 02-23-06 14
               RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket Hunybuny 02-23-06 15
           RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket kawyar 02-23-06 26
               RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket GoodnightLittleBear 02-23-06 27
   RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket Lanna42 02-23-06 30
       RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket Cleverone 02-24-06 40
 RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket GreatWhiteNorth 02-23-06 17
   RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket ashoka 02-23-06 18
 RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket pinksparkleguitar 02-23-06 19
   RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket trikelady 02-23-06 20
   RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket EMTBGRL 02-23-06 21
       RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket ashoka 02-23-06 22
       EMTBGRL mysticwolf 02-23-06 23
           RE: EMTBGRL EMTBGRL 02-23-06 29
       RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket jumpingbeans 02-23-06 24
           RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket GoodnightLittleBear 02-23-06 25
               RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket trikelady 02-23-06 31
               RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket jonimoni 02-23-06 32
                   RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket sillybear 02-23-06 33
           RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket EMTBGRL 02-24-06 39
 RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket lovemydogdude 02-23-06 28
   RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket SOfan0221 02-24-06 35
 RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket Sahara 02-23-06 34
   RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket Baxtera 02-24-06 36
       RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket jeana28 02-24-06 37
           RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket Sahara 02-24-06 38
 RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket breeches 02-27-06 41
 RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket lovemydogdude 03-01-06 42
   RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket justfionablue 03-01-06 43

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

staceeturner 183 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

02-22-06, 02:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail staceeturner Click to send private message to staceeturner Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
I found it offensive I even started to panic my-own self, but if it taught her to love people and be a little softer well then it was worth it, it was just a little over the edge for me Iwould of panicked, on the other hand Lisa number 1, did not learn anything in jail so who knows?

ashoka 72 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

02-22-06, 02:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ashoka Click to send private message to ashoka Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
I hated this excercise. I was amazed Kelly didn't have a psychotic break. I would have. Alone in a room with my own thoughts written on the walls, no furniture, a straight jacket and no furniture(I also have an active bladder and would never have made it) with kelly's history? I know I wouldn't have lasted more than a few minutes before cracking up completely.There has to have been a better way to do this. And I thought the box excercise was good, but TJ could leave it to go to the bathrom, get some water, etc.

tall_darkandscary 7 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

02-22-06, 02:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tall_darkandscary Click to send private message to tall_darkandscary Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
i found it a little un nerving if anything personally ive had to have mental help through the years but i couldnt imagine having to be subjected to something like that considering this is part of kellys life and her biggest fear... and for her life coach to "push" her like that... if i was kelly i would have said whatever rhonda wanted me to say to get out of that situation and i think thats just what she did....

Zoey 326 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

02-22-06, 03:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Zoey Click to send private message to Zoey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
I think it was over the top, especially when she called Kelly a mental patient in a sarcastic, teasing kind of way. Tactless.

SASSI 110 desperate attention whore postings

02-22-06, 03:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SASSI Click to send private message to SASSI Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
i wonderd "what if I have to use the bathroom?" would i really want someones help...it was over the top for me today

lovemydogdude 1253 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

02-22-06, 03:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail lovemydogdude Click to send private message to lovemydogdude Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
It seemed a little to close to home because of Mom's mental history..and then that comment about her "mental patient" was rude and obnoxious. It seemed to work out ok in the end but I agree other options (i.e. handcuffs or even mittens would have been just as effective and not so close to the mental ward)
p.s. they must have undone her jacket at some point cuz I'm sure she had to pee before dark.

shawnar 366 desperate attention whore postings

02-22-06, 04:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shawnar Click to send private message to shawnar Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
I agree I thought it was a little tackless considering her mothers history but I think it turned out okay in the end. I saw her edges soften a little. I wasn't too worried about her having to use the restroom because its not like she was alone I'm sure she could of just let the camera man know and he could of found someone to help her.

beckettrep 814 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

02-23-06, 09:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail beckettrep Click to send private message to beckettrep Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
And once again we are expected to believe that Kelly 'miraculously' GOT IT after just a few short hours.....wow am I impressed? (NO)..... I've asked before and continue to ask - if these exercises enable to a person to so quickly 'get it', if that's all it REALLY takes, then why have a SO House to begin with? I can't believe that these goofy exercises can so quickly turn around years of twisted thinking...I will remain forever skeptical until proven otherwise...LOL

susan765 166 desperate attention whore postings

02-22-06, 04:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail susan765 Click to send private message to susan765 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
Typical clueless Rhonda. What will her brillant life coach mind come up with next? Lock Christie in a room full of beer, food and pills? Call Kim's father and mother and invite them for a love est in th garden?

Cleverone 759 desperate attention whore postings

02-22-06, 06:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cleverone Click to send private message to Cleverone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"

I know I'm in the minority here, but I thought the exercise was right on...it was kelly's worse nightmare and for her to get over it she needed to experience it. To face that issue was the way to move beyond it and it proved to be correct as Kelly had several epiphanies: 1) she learned that she was asking for help in inappropriate ways 2) that she needed love from her family 3) she expressed what it was about Jodie that triggered her and 4) that she's not crazy...just sooo scared of being like mom that it was driving her crazy.

I thought that Rhonda's exercise was exactly what she needed, sometimes you have to plunge yourself in your fear to overcome it...and most of all Kelly learned that she been having a small breakdown for the last 5 years. I say Rhonda did good because Kelly was smiling more today than she has since she's been there. Good work Rhonda!!!!

"I walk in my own shoes..."

EMTBGRL 2514 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

02-22-06, 09:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail EMTBGRL Click to send private message to EMTBGRL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
"Restraint" is only to be used on an individual as a last resort, or as a safety tool (if the individual will get hurt, or hurt themselves or others without restraints.) "Restraint" (including a straight jacket) is NOT to be used to "teach a lesson." Did they check Kelly's vital signs every 15 minutes? (you're are supposed to) Are they qualified to take and interpret Kelly's vital signs? I'm guessing "No." And, "restraint" does NOT "teach someone to ask for help appropriately." I have seen "restraints" make completely rational people 100% completely IRRATIONAL! If anyone saw this exercise as appropriate, I would ask, "Have you ever been restrained, for any reason, against your will?" It's nothing other than FRIGHTENING. Anyone with any sense in their head, or compassion for others, HATE restraining someone else!! Maybe Kelly smiled more after the exercise because it was like a child saying, "Look, I'm fine. I'll be good! Just don't do that again, and I will do WHATEVER you want!" It's a good brainwashing tool, too. To me? It made RHONDA look psycho!

GoodnightLittleBear 461 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

02-22-06, 11:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail GoodnightLittleBear Click to send private message to GoodnightLittleBear Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
They don't even use straight jackets anymore. Rhonda, once again, going the humiliation and demeaning route. Someone should throw one on her, stick her on a row boat and set her off to sea.

julli96 397 desperate attention whore postings

02-22-06, 11:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail julli96 Click to send private message to julli96 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
LAST EDITED ON 02-22-06 AT 11:49 PM (EST)

I agree that it was in poor taste. It made me uncomfortable last season when she locked Denise in the psycho-ward like room, but to put someone in a straight jacket...can anyone say, "scraping the bottom of the barrel for ratings"!?!

tac_2 351 desperate attention whore postings

02-22-06, 11:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tac_2 Click to send private message to tac_2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
>Maybe
>Kelly smiled more after the
>exercise because it was like
>a child saying, "Look, I'm
>fine. I'll be good! Just
>don't do that again, and
>I will do WHATEVER you
>want!" It's a good brainwashing
>tool, too.

That was my thought, too. Hard to believe Kelly with her hard nose m.o. and mother's mental history would submit to such a thing.
Do any of these women have spines?

To me? It
>made RHONDA look psycho!

Rhonda appears to be really into this sort of stuff which makes me wonder who played masochistic games on her in *her past.
And her ghoulish smile before and after she put the straightjacket on Kelly was downright chilling. Something is seriously mentally wrong with that woman.

justfionablue 62 desperate attention whore postings

02-23-06, 00:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail justfionablue Click to send private message to justfionablue Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
Something IS seriously wrong with Rhonda. She gets way to much pleasure out of controlling/dominating/humiliating people. Calling Kelly a "mental patient" was more than rude...it was insensitive and mean spirited. This is a life coach???

I wonder if the HG's have to sign something that says they will participate in everything the life coaches tell them to do. No one seems to be able to refuse the crazy stunts they are forced to do by the "coaches". ???

Hunybuny 34 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

02-23-06, 09:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Hunybuny Click to send private message to Hunybuny Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
Sorry people I put my comment in the wrong forum, my suggestion to our sick and twisted Rhonda is.....have a drink, but then I wonder if she was that nasty as a drunk too? I would have smacked the youknowwhat out of her if that had of been me, contract or no contract,

kawyar 58 desperate attention whore postings

02-23-06, 03:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kawyar Click to send private message to kawyar Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
>Rhonda appears to be really into
>this sort of stuff which
>makes me wonder who played
>masochistic games on her in
>*her past.
>And her ghoulish smile before and
>after she put the straightjacket
>on Kelly was downright chilling.
> Something is seriously mentally
>wrong with that woman.

I've been watching Rhonda's and Iyanla's facial expressions and body language in the last few days and weeks. I've noticed that Rhonda seems to have a slight arrogance (for lack of a better word) to her demeanor, and Iyanla seems angry (for lack of a better word again). Anyone else notice this too?

I'm thinking that there is a battle afoot behind the scenes between these two women, and it can't help but become more and more apparent as time goes by. To me Rhonda seems to be gloating and Iyanla seems pi**ed off 'bout sumthin'!

02-23-06, 03:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail GoodnightLittleBear Click to send private message to GoodnightLittleBear Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
"I've noticed that Rhonda seems to have a slight arrogance (for lack of a better word) to her demeanor, and Iyanla seems angry (for lack of a better word again). Anyone else notice this too?"

When Rhonda is not grinning like a demented leprechaun she always looks like she just stepped in a big pile of poo.

What I don't understand is Iguana's penchant for berating the women for depending on men etc when she herself hung onto a married man for 5 years before she got him to marry her. I believe that marriage didn't last either. Then she flip flops to the opinion that they all need to find a boo before they can graduate. She's insane.

Lanna42 263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

02-23-06, 06:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lanna42 Click to send private message to Lanna42 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
I think you made some good points Cleverone. It was tough but it brought the main issues to the forefront for Kelly. I don't think Rhonda was doing it to be cruel. Kelly does not seem like the kind of personality that is going to respond to a subtle approach. To me she is one of the more unpleasant personalities to go through the house so far. She is as angry and antagonistic as Denise was without any of Denise's wit or dry humor. I miss her by the way. But overall Kelly had to face the "I could go crazy like my Mom if I don't change" idea. She knows she wasn't trying to seduce her Father.But mental illness does run in families.So that is a legitimate fear.

Cleverone 759 desperate attention whore postings

02-24-06, 09:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cleverone Click to send private message to Cleverone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
40. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
>I think you made some good
>points Cleverone. It was tough
>but it brought the main
>issues to the forefront for
>Kelly. I don't think Rhonda
>was doing it to be
>cruel. Kelly does not seem
>like the kind of personality
>that is going to respond
>to a subtle approach. To
>me she is one of
>the more unpleasant personalities to
>go through the house so
>far. She is as angry
>and antagonistic as Denise was
>without any of Denise's wit
>or dry humor. I miss
>her by the way. But
>overall Kelly had to face
>the "I could go crazy
>like my Mom if I
>don't change" idea. She knows
>she wasn't trying to seduce
>her Father.But mental illness does
>run in families.So that is
>a legitimate fear.

Agreed Lanna42 ...I didn't see what all the hoopla was about, it wasn't as if they institutionalized the woman...it was a metaphoric jesture to trump Kelly's fears...primarily of the mental illness her mother suffered. Kelly has deep seated anger and if it bothered her so much, we would have seen rage out of this world...and I do believe she's capable of rage. She wasn't "restrained" in the manner alluded to .

At least, Kelly realized she has no fear of the jacket, per say, just inheriting her mother's mental illness. I'll just have to agree to disagree with the other posters who feel it was inappropriate as "I certainly don't".

Strange, I happened to like Denise, too. She was a card, wasn't she? I liked her humor and didn't think she was as much a bully as some did.

"I walk in my own shoes..."

GreatWhiteNorth 75 desperate attention whore postings

02-23-06, 09:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail GreatWhiteNorth Click to send private message to GreatWhiteNorth Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
People should face their fears, no doubt, WITH the aid of trained, qualified staff if said fear is deeply ingrained. So someone dreads going whacky like their mom? Well, chuckem in an empty room in a straight jacket cause you KNOW that's going to help! I do think Kelly had some revelations during this exercise, thank god, what would have happened if she hadn't? What else does Rhonda have in store to "break" her clients? This really was disturbing to watch and even more disturbing to think that Rhonda thinks it's perfectly acceptable to treat clients (or just a fellow human being) like this.

02-23-06, 10:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ashoka Click to send private message to ashoka Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
Excellent point above about having professionals checking Kelly's vital signs. I hadn't even thought of it. But then I realized that even putting myself mentally into that straight jacket, my heart rate started rising and I could almost feel the panic starting to build. I wonder what does go on behind the scenes that we can't see. You know what probably happened, Rhonda wanted to lock her in a psyche ward in a straight jacket for a night and no hospital/facility would let them in so Rhonda had to settle for the empty room in the SO house. I think there may have been some realizations, but there may also have been some lasting people pleasing ingrained as well. The brainwashing comment was right on.

pinksparkleguitar 1222 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

02-23-06, 10:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail pinksparkleguitar Click to send private message to pinksparkleguitar Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
I would of completely freaked out, full-blown, panic-attack mode. If Kelly is afraid of it, than yes, have her face it, but first of all, that was too much too soon (how many days has she been there?) adn there was nobody around her to be with her and help her as she faced those fears and give her techniqus and help. EMT girl, I never would have thought bout checking her vital signs, but you're totally right about that, how could they know what is really going on inside her?

I don't think I would've learned anything except to be afraid ever time Rhonda was in the room.

trikelady 82 desperate attention whore postings

02-23-06, 12:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail trikelady Click to send private message to trikelady Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
I think the person (if we can call her a person) that belongs in the straight jacket is RHONDA! That was the absolute worst thing I have ever seen Rhonda do! What's next? Scared Straight an outing at the psych ward. and where IS Dr. Stan? What are his thoughts on this crap with the straight jacket? 1 million whoopie smacks for Rhonda. Oh and go lay down by your dish Rhonda...you've been a bad b**ch!

02-23-06, 01:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail EMTBGRL Click to send private message to EMTBGRL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
PinkSparkleGuitar,

The answer is, since I do this for a living, "They can't know what was going on with Kelly without medical intervention." (if that was a real straight jacket, since this is television after all.)

To anyone that thinks this was a good exercise? There are people (on this post) that have said that their "heart would have raced," or other things similar, like PinkSparkleGuitar's post here...I'm guessing that's probably true. I saw Kelly as "a heart-attack waiting to happen."

I realized that "Vital Signs" actually is jargon. Vital Signs are: Skin, (Color, temperature, condition) Heart Rate, Pulse, Blood Pressure, and Pupils. Any type of restraint is a splint. A stable patient's vital signs are checked every 15 minutes. An unstable patient's vital signs are checked every 5 minutes. They don't use straight jackets anymore for this reason! (other than it being humilitating and demeaning, it is medically DANGEROUS!) Kelly needed to be checked a MINIMUM of every 15 minutes. And, her VITAL SIGNS needed to be checked IMMEDIATELY after applying the straight jacket!

Did they say how long Kelly was left to sit there?

Watching Kelly made me think, "That girl looks like she's in shock!" That's not helpful, it's dangerous! I (often) have a job because of people like Rhonda in the world, who think it is OK to subject other human beings to uncontrolled, unsupervised abuse.

I had only ONE thought during that exercise, "Mandatory reporting for abuse." I know what the end of the night would have looked like if this had been during my shift! Kelly wouldn't have been the one in restraints. (Hint: handcuffs, not straight jacket)

Outside of the controlled set of "TV World" if that happened in real life? Rhonda would be arrested for abuse, and people like me and my crew would be called to deal with the medical needs of Kelly. Yeah, that's loving and helpful! (Not!) It's sick. And, it was imho a Starting Over All Time "Low." I understand the point to the exercise. There are much safer and kinder ways to make a "point."

02-23-06, 01:30 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
Well put, EMT!Thank you for the information regarding the physical ramifications of Rhonda's power trip.

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-23-06, 01:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "EMTBGRL"
Your points are valid and well founded. Your specialized knowledge can help others learn the dangers and realities surrounding an "exercise" like this one. But, remember not everyone on the boards possess your specialized knowledge.

Be careful to stay on the side of teaching through your posts like these. You don't want to stray into an area where someone thinks they are being bashed for having posted an opinion.

I don't really think you've done that. Yet. But saying things like "anyone who thinks this is appropriate" could be seen by some as coming close. Particularly if they posted before you brought your professional expertise into the discussion.

A Syren Spring

02-23-06, 05:20 PM (EST)
29. "RE: EMTBGRL"
D'oh! Sorry MysticWolf and board--That was not my intention. Point taken...my comment was not aimed at "posters." It was aimed at LC's idea of "appropriateness." Also, a correction (what I get for dividing my attention and having my daughter home from school at the same time!)
Vital Signs:
Skin, Pupils, Blood Pressure, Heart Rate OR pulse (same thing) and Respirations. I made that mistake, too! We make'em. Glad to have you catch 'em!

Sorry!

jumpingbeans 5 desperate attention whore postings

02-23-06, 01:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jumpingbeans Click to send private message to jumpingbeans Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
I didn't see Kelly as being "restrained", so maybe we have a different interpretation on what it means to be restrained. Yeah, she was wearing a silly jacket that crossed her arms so she couldn't use them. But could she? Yeah, I believe she could. That thing was not put on her properly and had PLENTY of wiggle room, to the extent that she could easily free herself. She also could have asked someone to help her remove it.

The jacket was being used in a symbolic way and NOT to restrain her. She was not prevented from moving about, or even leaving the house. She was not tied, she was not immobilized(sp?), and she could have requested the exercise to stop at any time if she so choose, if she was beyond her comfort level. I would not define what happened to Kelly yesterday as restraint. And it was definately NOT against her free will.

You mention that it is very important to consistantly check vital signs on anyone being restrained. I would agree, however, as I already said, I don't feel she was being restrained. I also found it interesting that you brought up handcuffs as being a form of restraint. Do the police check vital signs of everybody they arrest and put in cuffs? Do they stop the car (with the arrested party in the back seat) and check their signs consistantly? No they don't. I wonder why?

And yes, I have in the past been restrained against my will, and I still have no problem with the exercise Kelly did yesterday. I found it to be very helpful and insightful for her, and I think that it was really matters. But of course these are just my opinions. I could be wrong, I have been in the past.
I appreciate your opinion, but in the future could you please restrain (forgive the pun) from judging my level of compassion for others (see your first post in this thread). I am a very compassionate person, I just do not disagree with this exercise in the manner that you do.

02-23-06, 02:25 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
I think the point is not just the frightening aspect of being restrained but the humiliation and dehumanizing aspect. This dingdong of a LC thinks that the only way to break someone is to humiliate and demean them. IMHO she is taking out all her life's anger on these poor women. I do not think that she has dealt with her past traumas and so she tries to hurt the women like she was hurt. I think it's nauseating to see this type of behavior from someone who calls themself a professional. If she had done this to a client outside of SO, my feeling is that she would be sued.

trikelady 82 desperate attention whore postings

02-23-06, 08:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail trikelady Click to send private message to trikelady Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
GoodnightLittleBear... I think you are onto something....I'll have to agree with you.

jonimoni 136 desperate attention whore postings

02-23-06, 09:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jonimoni Click to send private message to jonimoni Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
Little bear, I think you are right on. The one who needed the straight jacket was Rhonda. She has serious issues and I have questioned her professionalism since the entire scarlet A excersize with Sommer. Then there was the whole article written before Sommer was a house guest that outed her as being promiscuous??!! Is this how a professional behaves?? It seems she keeps making more outrageous coaching decisions and no one checks her? Where was Dr Stan?? If this show did not jump the shark with the whole Lisa thing this certainly could be seen as the begining of the end!!

sillybear 84 desperate attention whore postings

02-23-06, 09:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sillybear Click to send private message to sillybear Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
Right on I was wondering where Dr.Stan was?Do the LCs have someone they consult with before they do these CRAZY exercizes?That straight jacket was over the top!!

02-24-06, 08:26 PM (EST)
39. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
>>I appreciate your opinion, but in
>the future could you please
>restrain (forgive the pun) from
>judging my level of compassion
>for others (see your first
>post in this thread).
>I am a very compassionate
>person, I just do not
>disagree with this exercise in
>the manner that you do.

That's fine. We are all entitled to our opinions, that's what's great about this board! I was upset by the fact someone believed I was accusatory about my judgment in the "compassion" area, so I did what you asked, and I read my first post in this thread.

Word for word, I wrote:

"Anyone with any sense in their head, or compassion for someone else, HATE restraining someone else."

To clarify, This was NOT aimed at any poster, or any poster's opinion! (I know better. I've read the guidelines.)

--Think in terms of my job. No "patient" enjoys being put in a Kendrick Extrication Device (KED) or Strapped onto a long spine board following a car accident, or for ANY reason, put into ANY restraint(s), EMT's often do "Standing Take-Downs" for this reason. People complain about restraints, they don't thank us. in this case (in the show) I am sure Kelly did not relish being in a straight jacket.

Therefore, I did not accuse anyone, except Rhonda, of not being "compassionate." I am not one of the EMT's in the world that gets a "power trip" over having complete control over another, restrained, individual. The comment was directed at RHONDA, (and, maybe some of the people in my profession...) as Rhonda DID seem to enjoy putting Kelly in that position, as someone else posted, "The smile she (Rhonda) gave Kelly when she left was chilling." I agreed! That's all! Sorry for the misinterpretation of my post! I hope that clears that up!

And, yes, Police are MRT's, and when they make mistakes they call the EMT's. If anyone wants to know more about this, feel free to e-mail me. Otherwise, let's stay on topic!

I still see this exercise as an all-time low. There've been some lows lately, too. I was not real happy with the whole Lisa2 swamp exercise, either, but for a whole different reason. I mean, COME ON!

02-23-06, 05:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail lovemydogdude Click to send private message to lovemydogdude Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
Yes technically the straight jacket was a restraint but Kelly was not in a medical institution! IMO She signed her rights away and covered SOH's A$$ in every way in regards to this exercise. There was someone there watching her..the camera man lol. As much as I didn't care for this exercise I believe it was appropriate for the setting.

SOfan0221 828 desperate attention whore postings

02-24-06, 06:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SOfan0221 Click to send private message to SOfan0221 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
I agree. The term buyer beware could be reworded for SO HG's to something like 'HG beware - you will face your greatest fear'.

Kelly's greatest fears being hugged and being instutionalized, guess she will be getting over those pretty quickly.

And I think she 'got' a little of the exercise but I don't for a minute believe the 'big change' that we were all supposed to beleive took place. For one thing she didn't aske the other HG to help her, she walked in the room in a straightjacket and told them they were going to have to help her. Didn't sound like asking for help to me.

Sahara 759 desperate attention whore postings

02-23-06, 11:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sahara Click to send private message to Sahara Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
LAST EDITED ON 02-24-06 AT 06:27 AM (EST)

I could not even watch it. It was very triggering for me (but I have many past issues). I think this was an awful thing to do to anybody. I know that someone was there watching her, but when something like that is happening to you, you are inside your own head and that really doesn't matter. Believe me, I will never go to the SO house!

ETA: So what do you think Rhonda will do with her next? Shock treatments or a lobotomy?

AF 2006

Baxtera 923 desperate attention whore postings

02-24-06, 11:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Baxtera Click to send private message to Baxtera Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
36. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
Rhonda's training to be a dominatrix when her SO gig ends. This is only the beginning.

jeana28 179 desperate attention whore postings

02-24-06, 12:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jeana28 Click to send private message to jeana28 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
37. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
Well she has to have something to fall back on....

Whats with Rhonda and all these excerises? First she puts Denise in a empty room all day, then give her paints to express the real Denise, then she puts tj in a box? then she puts Lisa in a jail cell? Now she puts Kelly in a restraining jacket? i think Rhonda has some serious issues of her own she MIGHT want to get into check before she handles anymore clients.. What would she do with me? Stick me in a room with a locked refrigerator? geez.. this woman is crazy.

Sahara 759 desperate attention whore postings

02-24-06, 02:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sahara Click to send private message to Sahara Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
38. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
Or would she stick you in the locked refrigerator?

AF 2006

breeches 1 desperate attention whore postings

02-27-06, 08:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail breeches Click to send private message to breeches Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
41. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
I agree 100% that the straight jacket was very demeaning. Me, for one, would not have put on the jacket. I do understand some of Rhonda's reasoning behind it, but there are plenty of other ways she could have went about it.

03-01-06, 10:29 AM (EST)
42. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"
I was checking out the new myspaces last night and someone's been having fun on Kelly's space LOL thought I'd share

justfionablue 62 desperate attention whore postings

03-01-06, 11:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail justfionablue Click to send private message to justfionablue Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
43. "RE: Rhonda and the Straight Jacket"

That photo is just creepy in so many ways...
the stuff nightmares are made of!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •