The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Who's Watching"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

ghtmentor 5 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

09-28-05, 00:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ghtmentor Click to send private message to ghtmentor Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Who's Watching"
No Gays, Orientals, Lesbians, Latinos, or anything else that made the past seasons interesting. Talk about white, blonde, leave it to beaver sappy! What a dissapointment! And I loved all the other seasons.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Who's Watching Phredster 09-28-05 1
   RE: Who's Watching Lisa0116 09-28-05 8
 Not really fair Rhyn 09-28-05 2
   RE: Not really fair zipperhead 09-28-05 3
   RE: Not really fair ghtmentor 09-28-05 6
       RE: Not really fair skeetergirl87 10-04-05 27
   RE: Not really fair Earl Colby Pottinger 09-28-05 11
       RE: Not really fair dragonflies 09-28-05 12
   RE: Not really fair MTW1961 09-28-05 13
   RE: Not really fair Cyndimaus 09-28-05 14
   RE: Not really fair CouchTater 09-30-05 21
 RE: Who's Watching HistoryDetective 09-28-05 4
   RE: Who's Watching ghtmentor 09-28-05 5
       RE: Who's Watching HistoryDetective 09-28-05 7
           RE: Who's Watching samboohoo 09-28-05 16
           Massachusetts? udg 09-28-05 17
           RE: Who's Watching ghtmentor 10-02-05 23
           RE: Who's Watching Megacanuck 10-03-05 25
 RE: Who's Watching Tahj 09-28-05 9
   RE: Who's Watching shabalaba 09-28-05 10
 RE: Who's Watching cqvenus 09-28-05 15
   RE: Who's Watching Lisa0116 09-28-05 18
       RE: Who's Watching Karchita 09-28-05 19
           RE: Who's Watching Lisa0116 09-29-05 20
               RE: Who's Watching RealGusa 10-01-05 22
                   RE: Who's Watching Earl Colby Pottinger 10-03-05 24
                   RE: Who's Watching tvgeek401 10-16-05 32
   RE: Who's Watching lydia 10-04-05 26
 RE: Who's Watching CaitieLou 10-11-05 28
 RE: Who's Watching julian 10-12-05 29
   RE: Who's Watching escapedude 10-15-05 30
       RE: Who's Watching Earl Colby Pottinger 10-16-05 31
           RE: Who's Watching Amazingracefanatic 10-19-05 33
               RE: Who's Watching Earl Colby Pottinger 10-19-05 34
                   RE: Who's Watching Tahj 10-19-05 35

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Phredster 85 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

09-28-05, 03:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Phredster Click to send private message to Phredster Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Who's Watching"
>No Gays, Orientals, Lesbians, Latinos, or
>anything else that made the
>past seasons interesting. Talk about
>white, blonde, leave it to
>beaver sappy! What a dissapointment!
>And I loved all the
>other seasons.

Yes, but this is the "family edition", don't you get it? In George Bush's America families consist of white, married, middle class heterosexual couples. Okay, sarcasm aside...how many families of middle class and below can take a whole month off during the summer (unless you are teachers/professors)? Most "normal" people work at jobs that do not give extended vacations, and most "normal" people could not afford to take a whole month off without pay. What does that leave?

Lisa0116 688 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

09-28-05, 11:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Lisa0116 Click to send private message to Lisa0116 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Who's Watching"

>In George Bush's America families
>consist of white, married, middle
>class heterosexual couples.

Which makes it difficult for the rest of us that live in this country-we are not worthy (at least according to our president). How sad!!

I DO like the families. I didn't think I would like this edition, but after 1 show, I can honestly say that I am enjoying the whole family dynamic. I felt so sad for the little boy last night whose team lost. The younger son looked like he was SO mad that he was fighting hard to keep from crying about it in frustration. I think they did a great job-all of the families. I DO have one complaint (family wise)-if I have to hear "Lord I know you will get us there in the name of Jesus" all season, I might have to throw up. I know their beliefs are important to them, but come on!!! You notice people don't say those things when they know they are ahead-just when they think they are behind-imagine that!!!

Rhyn 524 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-05, 08:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Rhyn Click to send private message to Rhyn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "Not really fair"
LAST EDITED ON 09-28-05 AT 08:50 AM (EST)

I know this comes up every season (on every show) on probably every message board.

Why?

The Amazing Race has, forgive me, been rather amazing at having a very diversified cast. They have done more to bring different people with different situations together to make for great television, and the one time their cast happens to be a little blonde, their collective contribution to diversity is forgotten. I don't like that, because it's not fair.

There will be others who will mention the demographics of the viewing audience, and their points are valid, too, I suppose, but there wasn't a single team last night, save one, that I found boring to watch. Not to say I loved all the teams (I was rooting for the Paolo team to go more heartily than I realized, when I physically slumped after I realized they were at the pit stop, and that they weren't last) but they were all certainly captivating and interesting in their dynamic. Like I said, though, save one: The Black Family. They were really rather boring, and not at all good racers (which immediately put them on my own personal Bash list). Nice, sure! But not interesting.

Speaking of interesting:

No Gays, Orientals, Lesbians, Latinos, or anything else that made the past seasons interesting

I don't think you have to have those things to have an interesting season. The most memorable moments in past seasons to me were Rob and Amber's drive by, Kevin and Drew's entire existence, Flo's whining, then winning, and Joyce's head shaving experience. The gay folks and the people of color who play this game may be good, or they may not, but just because of their orientation (or their color) they aren't automatically interesting. (Case in point, while Reichen and Chip played the game well, they were certainly interesting in that they weren't sure they wanted to reveal their relationship, but that was fodder for about 1 minute of airtime, and other than that, they were whitebread booooooring.)

And while there aren't many "traditional" minorities, chances are some of these families are in the minority where you live and in your life. Maybe you aren't from the South, and if not, then the southern families with their desire to show that Southerners aren't stupid might be interesting and different for you. Or maybe kids where you live don't run for sport and fun, like Carrissa. Whatever the case, when have we ever seen the dynamics like we are seeing this go around? Children? That's a first. Families of four? Another first. Sons-in-law with their wives' daddy? Certainly an interesting dynamic. Not just father and daughter, but father and ALL his daughters, which is something new, too. A widow and her bevy of children trying to come together after a tragic event? Absolutely interesting, if you agree that that's the story of nearly every Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.

To say these families aren't interesting in their own right is sad. Of course they are! If your interest is based on your minority, and television shows agree that that is so, then the only people we should see are black, lesbian midgets.

I just wish they all weren't blonde. It's hard to keep them all straight. I would have appreciated a readhead or two, and a few brunettes just so I could have an easier time telling them apart.

(Oh, and people from Asia are referred to as "Asian." Things from Asia are referred to as "Oriental." (Like an Asian man's Oriental rug.) There is a pretty big movement right now, and it's calling that a racist sentiment, so I thought I'd give you a heads up.)

Silly brackets. They're just for kids html.

zipperhead 3442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

09-28-05, 09:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zipperhead Click to send private message to zipperhead Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Not really fair"
Yeah, everything Rhyn said. (Welcome to the Boards, newbies).

Also, this isn't a fashion show. I don't need to see different types of people in this show to be interested. I need to see teams with interesting dynamics work through obstacles that they don't normally have to deal with. If the choice was 9 "white" families (no one knows if all of those people are heterosexual) who are intereseting and 10 minority teams who are not so interesting - I would rather watch the interesting teams. If I want to witness diversity, I can take a walk around my neighborhood.

09-28-05, 10:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ghtmentor Click to send private message to ghtmentor Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Not really fair"
LAST EDITED ON 09-28-05 AT 10:04 AM (EST)

Thanks for the "heads up" on the terms Asian and Oriental. At 62 and caucasian, I sometimes have a leftover vocabulary that has a hard timing keeping up.

I am in total agreement with the items you mentioned that made the last show interesting, however, I can't imagine any of these vanilla families caring enough to shave their heads, weep at a slave door entrance, or expand our view of love by watching two men care for each other,

skeetergirl87 136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

10-04-05, 01:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail skeetergirl87 Click to send private message to skeetergirl87 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Not really fair"
>LAST EDITED ON 09-28-05
>AT 10:04 AM (EST)

>
>I can't imagine any
>of these vanilla families caring
>enough to shave their heads,
>weep at a slave door
>entrance, or expand our view
>of love by watching two
>men care for each other,
>

I don't think that's a fair judgement given the short time that we've had to get to know these families. Just because they are "vanilla" doesn't mean they can't appreciate other cultures and empathize with those culture's experiences. Yes, I'm white, but I think I would have been rather emotional at that slave door entrance and I probably would have shaved my head, too. It's not fair to say that just because these families are white that they don't care about or respect other people's differences.

And, we're jumping to conclusions that there are no gay contestants. Just because nobody has the caption "Gay" under their name, doesn't mean they're not. Maybe CBS is trying to avoid labelling the contenstants, not because they're homophobic, but maybe because they don't think it should be an issue or the lone identifying feature for a person.

Earl Colby Pottinger 2597 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

09-28-05, 12:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to send private message to Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Not really fair"
Hello, I have to agree with you. People make the race period.

I also would not have minded a few more hair colours - at a distance it is hard to tell who is who.

As for the range of families available, well I am black as well - but everytime I go to the Cottage Life Show I find myself in a sea of white. It just is who has the time to stay up in the country to relax. It sure does not stop me going to my cabin.

Enjoy the race as it stands, I think this is going to be a great season.

dragonflies 8051 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-28-05, 01:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dragonflies Click to send private message to dragonflies Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Not really fair"
I also would not have minded a few more hair colours
Well, the one daughter (Weavers?) has multiple hair colors. Although you can't tell as much when she pulls it back in a ponytail.

Slice & Dice Sigpic Chop Shop 2005

MTW1961 4029 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

09-28-05, 01:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MTW1961 Click to send private message to MTW1961 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Not really fair"
Well said, Rhyn!

There's far more to diversity than sexual orientation or skin color. And it's the individual people and personalities that make the show - not thier diversity.

Handcrafted by RollDDice!

Cyndimaus 3117 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-05, 01:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cyndimaus Click to send private message to Cyndimaus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Not really fair"
I would agree with you and the others of similar opinion. I watch a reality show for the interesting people, no matter what their "label" is. If they are interesting it is because of who they are and what they do not "what" they are. I would be more offended at having someone who is the same "what" as me there simply because of that rather than because they were qualified to be there. It actually seems more contrived when there is the token representation rather than just a good mix of people. (and if they happen to be a particular "what" then more power to them!)

sig courtesy of Cygnus

CouchTater 1046 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

09-30-05, 01:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CouchTater Click to send private message to CouchTater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Not really fair"
A family getting lost on their own turf, very amusing!

I mean how can the Paolo family get lost in NYC, when the pop works there?

I agree the dynamics between the families and family members is just as, if not more, entertaining than the location.

I would love to see a TAR with all foreigners going around America. Now that would be really entertaining.

HistoryDetective 9516 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-05, 09:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Who's Watching"
Welcome to the boards, ghtmentor!

As a gay man, I'm often pleased when a gay person is cast in a reality show, though I usually end up being frustrated that only the most steroetypical gay folks actually get cast. I'd prefer to have no gay contestant than to have a gay contestant included as a "token," somebody cast solely for that personal attirbute and not because the producers conceive of him or her as a "real" person with a fully developed personality.

courtesy of Seana and Syren - thanks gals!
journal

09-28-05, 09:55 AM (EST)
5. "RE: Who's Watching"
Reichen and Chip were certainly not tokens. They were however fun to watch even if they were typical gay gym clones. They added a dynamic to a very diverse season with interesting couples.

HistoryDetective 9516 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-05, 10:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Who's Watching"
I completely agree --- and I have written extensively on that very issue. They seem to be the exception and not the rule, however.

Since you're relatively new, you probably haven't realized that Chip is my official imaginary boyfriend. Some day Chip and I will go to Massachusetts and get married!

courtesy of Seana and Syren - thanks gals!
journal

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-05, 04:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Who's Watching"
Perhaps someday you won't have to go all the way to Massachusetts.

Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

udg 3381 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-05, 04:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "Massachusetts?"
Is that a state?

Slice n' Dice's Sigpic Chop Shop 2004

10-02-05, 02:33 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Who's Watching"
It was almost legal in California. Maybe next year.

Megacanuck 120 desperate attention whore postings

10-03-05, 04:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Megacanuck Click to send private message to Megacanuck Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Who's Watching"
Come to Canada; you can marry him now.

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-05, 11:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Who's Watching"
I have to say that when they were introducing the families and they called the African-American family the Black family, I nearly choked.....until I realized that that is actually their last name.

Moves courtesy of Syren

shabalaba 369 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

09-28-05, 11:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail shabalaba Click to send private message to shabalaba Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Who's Watching"
when
>they were introducing the families
>and they called the African-American
>family the Black family, I
>nearly choked.....until I realized that
>that is actually their last
>name.
>
>

Me too!

cqvenus 9765 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-05, 02:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cqvenus Click to send private message to cqvenus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Who's Watching"

i find the notion that white families should be called leave-it-to-beaver a bit offensive. if you'd watched the show (62 yrs old or not) you'd see that none of these families fit that profile whatsoever.

i'm kind of annoyed at the lack of diversity in family *types* more than the skin or hair colors. i mean, what about the single dad? what about a mixed race family? okay, that's skin color, but not every family is white with a mom or stepmom and a dad. i don't know. i think TAR dropped the ball this time around on the casting. their cast should've been more representational of the typical 'family' in america. and the idiot bostonian and his sons-in-law... his OWN daughters weren't good enough to compete with so he had to take their husbands? puhleaze.

this season is supremely bashworthy. esp b/c all the teams are so similar that when bashing, you aren't likely to be accused of being a racist for hating one team over another.

~ cq

equal opportunity basher

09-28-05, 05:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lisa0116 Click to send private message to Lisa0116 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Who's Watching"
I agree with you cq. What about casting the LARGEST segment of the American population (and growing) the single mom. A widow is not the same as a single mom-she had help on the child rearing journey. I am NOT saying they should have cast some of the Maury-Show-doesn't-know-who-the-daddy-is-even-after-33-DNA-tests, but I KNOW that there are TONS of single moms out there.

Karchita 4483 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-05, 08:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Karchita Click to send private message to Karchita Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Who's Watching"
I think the widow counts as a single mom. She had help until her husband died, but she sure is single now and her husband sure can't help her. Divorced moms also had help with child rearing until their divorces.

I wonder how many single moms apply for TAR. Most that I know couldn't possibly afford to take the time off.

09-29-05, 09:49 AM (EST)
20. "RE: Who's Watching"
She is single now, but only has one child that is not raised-the 2 girls look like they are grown. She also doesn't have the financial burden of a single mom-her husband probably had insurance, plus pension, plus social security-she probably can stay home and take care of them and not go out and work. I am talking about the moms that get none of that. The moms that were left/walked out on. The moms who don't get child support. The single moms whose husband/boyfriend/lover walked out on them and can't be found. Divorced moms also get child support and the kids go away to see their father every other weekend-unlike the single mom who has her kids 24/7/365 with NO help.

The SINGLE mom with children is who I would like to see on the race. And yes, I DO realize that they can't afford to take the time off unless they have accumlulated vacation time/personal time/sick time. I just feel that the single mom and her kid(s) have an entirely different teamwork/trust dynamic going on and I think it would make for a great race. I know so many moms like this.....

RealGusa 2 desperate attention whore postings

10-01-05, 04:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RealGusa Click to send private message to RealGusa Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Who's Watching"
LAST EDITED ON 10-02-05 AT 01:12 AM (EST)

I think in general most reality television shows don't like ethnic people or minorities...this also includes television media in general. It's up to you and me to refuse to watch these shows and tell our family and friends to not watch either, because it seems writing the stations don't seem to help. At least Amazing Race gave a token Black family a chance... Survivor this year gave NO ethnic or other than white person a chance this year. I'm personally offended and fed up. Just remember, our children watch these shows and have no opportunity to experience diversity in television. Remember now, these shows are AMERICAN produce shows and they have the nerve to not show a representation of American culture which is mixed and diverse. If they are showing a representation of America then they are showing that America is a very much segregated country.

10-03-05, 10:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to send private message to Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Who's Watching"
LAST EDITED ON 10-03-05 AT 10:14 AM (EST)

But is it entirely the producers fault? What if some ethnic people or minorities are not applying to get on the shows? Check out my point about being the only Black in a sea of White in some of the places I go to and the responses I get from some of my fellow Blacks when invited to join me.

http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/DCForumID20/2752.shtml#15

Remember if a group does not apply in general the odds are very poor that they will make it onto the show.

Earl Colby Pottinger

tvgeek401 1615 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

10-16-05, 10:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tvgeek401 Click to send private message to tvgeek401 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Who's Watching"
LAST EDITED ON 10-17-05 AT 01:01 AM (EST)

Survivor this year gave NO ethnic or other than white person a chance this year.

Lydia isn't white. She's half Asian, half Puerto Rican.

Just remember, our children watch these shows and have no opportunity to experience diversity in television.

I grew up in suburban Utah. 97% of the people in my city are white--23 out of every 24 people in my school. 92% are Mormon.
I've obviously not lived in a diverse locality, but that doesn't mean I don't know about diversity or that I'm unaware of different cultures. A lot of what I know about other cultures is due to watching tv. Not seeing people of other races on the show doesn't make me believe they don't exist.
I see plenty of diversity on tv.

As for inaccurate representation of our diverse culture...

According to the US Census, the population breakdown is:
75.1% white
12.5% hispanic/latino
12.3% black
0.9% american indian
3.6% asian
0.1% pacific islander
2.4% two or more races
5.5% other

In TAR,
84.2% white
12.4% black
1.1% hispanic
2.2% partners of different races

In Survivor,
85.5% white
10.2% black
1.8% hispanic
1.8% asian
0.6% two or more races

So, aside from a 10% discrepency in Hispanic and white representation, the producers do a pretty good job of showing an accurate portrayal of US racial diversity.

can't argue with the numbers.

*keeping mum about my personal opinion on this matter*

It just wouldn't be the same without the geek! --tribe, the amazing creator of my siggie
Sick of being called a racist.
I'm fighting the urge to go more in depth statistically, but I've got too much to do right now. Besides, I'd probably make some horrible error and cahaya would come along and make me look like an idiot.

lydia 109 desperate attention whore postings

10-04-05, 04:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail lydia Click to send private message to lydia Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Who's Watching"
THe daughters probably have to work, and are the main supporters of the men!

CaitieLou 2 desperate attention whore postings

10-11-05, 10:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CaitieLou Click to send private message to CaitieLou Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Who's Watching"
They've always been doing the same thing with 2 people, every single time. Finally they got some families and stuff in there to make it more interesting! I think its definentaly the best season yet! Its just more interesting and I love it!!

julian 3 desperate attention whore postings

10-12-05, 00:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail julian Click to send private message to julian Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Who's Watching"
Im not anymore,too bad, this show used to be a pretty good way to kill an hour.

escapedude 250 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

10-15-05, 03:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail escapedude Click to send private message to escapedude Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: Who's Watching"
The show is interestng with families and not just model couples who are so obnoxious you want to slap.
The problem here is lack of diversity ..Yes the previous episodes showed more "diversity", with at least a token black,hispanic or gay.
This is definetly the TAR white bread edition. The one "black" family was elimated quickly.
To the poster who used the logic that the majority of applications to the show are white i believe is ridulous.
The producers chose it this way for whatever reeason.

10-16-05, 11:50 AM (EST)
31. "RE: Who's Watching"
Then you are fooling yourself.

I am Black. In regular life I see other Blacks, Asians, East Indians (very few N.A. Indians) and other people all the time.

=====================================

But I am well aware that when I go to the Cottage Life Show or the National Boating Show that I often the only Black person in view who is not working behind a service counter. I am usually surrounded by a sea of White folks. A few people from other groups may show up, but the vast majority is White, and boating shows are full of Blondes for some reason (Sun Bleaching?).

Don't believe me, simple test - go to your local magazine rack - pick up a Boating Mag, or a Wilderness Camping Mag. Look at any group shoot that is not an advertisement. How many blacks do you see? How many in the city around you? Notice the diffirence in ratios?

=====================================

Please note this does not apply to Sportsman shows and Fishing shows - lots of Black people there. It is not the money for sure, seeing some of the gear they buy at these shows.

The same applies when I go wildness camping, I often am the only non-white person I see once you see thru the tans.

This is not just a matter about money or even free time. A lot of it is cultural it seems.

My brothers and thier families are like me, they would love to get onto the Amazing Race but we are all Canadians so that is out. I go on week long wilderness trips, my brother Paul does white water, my brother Clive for his daugther's 18 brithday bought her, her first Sky-Dive - she did not say no.

On the otherhand while my mother, relatives, and other black friends all watch TAR, they all refuse the suggestion of doing such a show. Hech, one friend of my mom asked me if I was not afraid to go North where I could get attacked by Bears, Wolves and Foxes. Yes! Foxes!

In comparison I would say about 50% of the white people I know are willing to go on such a trip. And most of the ones who refuse do so because they are too fat (Larry) or have families to take care of (Marlene).

Earl Colby Pottinger

Please try checking out the magazines before replying.

Amazingracefanatic 1 desperate attention whore postings

10-19-05, 00:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Amazingracefanatic Click to send private message to Amazingracefanatic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: Who's Watching"
LAST EDITED ON 10-19-05 AT 00:20 AM (EST)

Hi Earl!
Enjoyed your comments but wanted to make another point. As an ex army person I know that when I'm in the foxhole the guy next to me is American regardless of whatever else he may be. When one goes abroad for better or worse I'm perceived as an American.

As a matter of fact I am a person of color but I care more about how I'm being represented as an american.

I hate it when the ugly american stereotype is portrayed and I've always hated the ugly americans on the previous chapters of the amazing race.

Its embarrassing to me to see most of the families on the family edition.

I was also embarrassed by the little black(Black) kid on this season's AR.

Oh about Black people not signing up. You might be right but I wanted you to know that I got my application for season 7 but the person I thought would run the race with me turned out to have been humoring me because he never thought I would actually do it

I wouldn't say I"m an adrenalin junky by any stretch of the imagination but I love white water rafting, I dont' really like heights but I've been wind surfing , powered parasailing and water parasailing and I intend to own my own powered parasailing rig in the next two years.

If I could find a partner to go with me I would do the amazing race in a sec and not just for the money. The places they've gone to have been amazing.

I missed the first two seasons of the show but since then I've picked the winner or second place finisher for every season since at mid race.

Even though the show this year is not great I want to say that Phil still Rocks!

I thought his parents were great but what a little whinner that kid was. He was just too young and I dont' mean just his chronological age I mean his emotional age.

I picked that family as #1 or 2 to go.

I love the amazing race and I hope there is a regular season next year. I"m tivoing this year but its well just not very good. I'm watching Commander in chief in stead.

But there is always next year!!!!!!!

10-19-05, 07:34 AM (EST)
34. "RE: Who's Watching"
Well, in defense/offense here in Canada most Blacks I meet are new arrivals, first or second generation Canadians. They still have a lot of thier Carribean culture where people like going to the beach rather than into jungle for a vacation

America on the otherhand must have the vast majority of it's Blacks being 4-10 generations or more.

How does it stand if you ask your non-military friends about the race? How do percentages of White vs Black stand? I ask about non-military people because I have a feeling after boot-camp any TAR will look like a walk in the park considering there is a million dollar prize at the end.

As for the Ugly American - it only takes one in a group.

Last year I was reading the USENET travel groups, and an American (in one of those loud shirts that all tourists love for some reason ) who was in Jamaica by the docks watched as a cruise ship came in, the gangway was lowered and a flood of tourists came to shore to spend lots of good American dollars on stuff.

He said as he stood there after the main flood had left that a very big and fat American, covered with cameras and smoking a cigar came down the gangway, looked around, bypass all the locals to come to him and asking a very loud voice, "Is there anything worth seeing on this island or should I just go back on the ship?".

The guy said out of the corners of his eye he could see every Jamaican on the docks was staring at this loud mouth.

The point being that hundreds of America tourists came ashore to have fun, enjoy the country, and spend lots of money - all the good stuff that tourist can bring to a location. But probably the only American any of the dockworkers will remember is this fat slob, and that is who they will talk about when they get home.

At times I think TAR hunts out and finds as many ugly Americans it can find to liven up the show. I am pretty sure in real life it is not as bad as TAR makes it look. But on the otherhand it only takes one in the right place to tarnish all.

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings

10-19-05, 10:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "RE: Who's Watching"
I'd like to speak to your theory that possibly more minorities are not chosen because few apply. It's an interesting statement because in recent seasons, two of the teams which won were African American. I would think that that might increase African American viewership and interest, wouldn't you?

Moves courtesy of Syren

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •