The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Average Joe: Hawaii"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Average Joe Forum (Protected)
Original message

bell83 134 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

12-01-03, 11:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bell83 Click to send private message to bell83 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Average Joe: Hawaii"
Now it will be interesting to see if part 2 will bomb, like part 2 of Joe Milllionaire!! Has anyone heard anything about any of the joe's or the girl?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Average Joe: Hawaii ladro 12-02-03 1
   RE: Average Joe: Hawaii SurvivorBlows 12-02-03 2
       RE: Average Joe: Hawaii ladro 12-02-03 3
           RE: Average Joe: Hawaii SurvivorBlows 12-02-03 4
               RE: Average Joe: Hawaii ladro 12-02-03 5
                   RE: Average Joe: Hawaii bell83 12-02-03 6
                       RE: Average Joe: Hawaii Fraz 12-05-03 7
                           RE: Average Joe: Hawaii ego 12-05-03 8

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

ladro 1168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

12-02-03, 01:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ladro Click to send private message to ladro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Average Joe: Hawaii"
I expect AJ2 to bomb similarly to JM2. AJ has two major problems. 1. It is a gimmick show. 2. It is a faux realationship show. Both types of shows have a history of failing in the second season. Survivor is somewhat of an anomaly. AJ is no Survivor.

The producers have conducted an expensive experiment in the hopes of beating the shopomore ratings dearth. They filmed AJ2 prior to the realease of AJ1 in the hopes that the gimmick will remain fresh. The experiment will fail. JM2 failed because the audience had a 'been there, done that' additude toward the show, not because the women were aware of the joke.

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-02-03, 01:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Average Joe: Hawaii"
If you want to talk about "histories," I don't know how you can't acknowledge "For Love Or Money 2" -- which is the ONLY other gimick reality show to have it's sequel air immediately after it's premiere season... and last I checked, it did pretty good in the ratings.

JM2 failed for a lot of reasons... with the "been there, done that" part only being one of several reasons that included the featuring of foreign women and the eight month gap that allowed the "buzz" to dry completely up.

IMHO, the FLOM1/FLOM2 comparison is much more relevant than any JM!/JM2 comparison.

-SB

12-02-03, 02:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ladro Click to send private message to ladro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Average Joe: Hawaii"
You make good points regarding the foregin women and gap time in JM2, but I don't think JM2 would have succeded without those problems. Of course we will never know for sure. The reason I didn't acknowledge FLOM is because I had never seen FLOM and knew nothing about it. Now you know! Based upon what I have read about FLOM in the last fifteen minutes, I would have to say that FLOM does not fit my profile of a 'faux relationship show'. In JM1 alot of viewers thought that the women (and evan) were truely there for a relationship, the true believers became jadded when they learned that the Women (and evan) were really competing for the $500,000 first prise. FLOM appears to be up front regarding the role of money in their show, evidently it is the focus of their show. AJ does fit my profile of a 'faux relationship show' AJ is similar to JM in that the show pretends that the participants are really there looking for love, but in reality the participants are seeking money and/or professional advancement (I am sure there were some participants in AJ that were looking primarily for love, but they din't make it to the final four). AJ2 is also flawed because the public now knows that the show will morph into a tradional cute guy dating show, contradicting its Title/hook.

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-02-03, 09:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Average Joe: Hawaii"
No offense, but talk about trying to invent points to support your argument:

AJ is similar to JM in that the show pretends that the participants are really there looking for love, but in reality the participants are seeking money and/or professional advancement (I am sure there were some participants in AJ that were looking primarily for love, but they din't make it to the final four).

Seeking money? What money -- there is no cash prize FOR ANYONE on Average Joe. And claiming that the "acting" motivations of the cast of AJ1 mirror those of JM1? Where are you pulling this from -- cast of AJ1 has no more wannabe actors than any other reality TV cast -- and certainly no more than that of JM1.

Every reality TV cast features it's share of media whores who are seeking "money and/or professional advancement" -- as, by your definition -- are the majority of anyone working a full-time job in this country. To try and claim this is a characteristic somehow unique to AJ1 and JM1 is disingenuous.

12-02-03, 11:00 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Average Joe: Hawaii"
What money? Well... the prize money they are not telling you about. THAT MONEY The same prize money they didn't tell anyone about in Joe Millionaire until the final ten minutes. I know that I am the only one that thinks there is prize money involved in this show.

I didn't say that most of the AJ cast were pursuing professional advancement, but it clear that Mel, the three models and Dennis L. (whom has moved to LA to pursue an acting carrer) have carrers that will benefit from the exposure of the show.

What I like most about this discussion about ratings is that we will have an actual answer in about 6 weeks. It is not some unaswerable problem that will never be answered.

bell83 134 desperate attention whore postings

12-02-03, 11:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bell83 Click to send private message to bell83 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Average Joe: Hawaii"
I think the ratings will depend a lot on who they pick for the show and how sincere both the AJ's and the woman are (or seem) to be in thier quest for finding true love. I admit, this is not done by FOX, so i doubt it will bomb quit as bad as JM2

BTW is there going to be another FLOM?
i never saw either of them but i wish i wouldn't have missed them. i love the concept of that show!!

Fraz 26 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

12-05-03, 03:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fraz Click to send private message to Fraz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Average Joe: Hawaii"
I think AJ2's success will depend on why the audience watches in the first place. Is it the twist, or do people really like watching REAL people instead of professional pretty boys (and girls)?

I haven't watched JM (or JM2), but I did watch some of FLOM2. I was disappointed, not because of the gimmick, but because the conversations seemed truly inane. Some of the conversations on AJ seem equally pointless and boring, especially with the models. I could also never get a read on who really had a "connection" because of the editing.

ego 100 desperate attention whore postings

12-05-03, 04:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ego Click to send private message to ego Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Average Joe: Hawaii"
regarding furthering their acting careers, isn't that tariq guy on 'miss match' or whatever, he got a gig off the show!

i think AJ2 will only be successful if they don't repeat the same twists, and publicize it.

my idea for an average joe II

1. same beginning
2. twist #1 bring in another pretty girl (with a great personality) in the last 3 episodes and make her compete with the original girl.
3. show secret video tapes to the original girl of the last three guys hitting on the new girl.
4. twist #2 something even the PRODUCERS DIDNT EVEN KNOW! average joe number 1 is a serial killer. (just kidding!)

anyways, make it with different unpredictable twists or something like that

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •