The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"This is about Extreeme Home Makeover"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

Seanjuan234 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

12-12-04, 11:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Seanjuan234 Click to send private message to Seanjuan234 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"This is about Extreeme Home Makeover"
Does anyone know what happens after the show leaves the families? Do they have to pay the newly inflated property taxes. Does the show compensate the neighbourhood for the increase of property values?
I just finished watching a very touching episode about a dying mother of three girls who are all dying of AIDS. They lived in a tiny dirty bungalo, surrounded by tiny dirty bungaloes all around. Now at the end of the show, the house is worth a fourtune. But it has also raised the property values of the surrounding homes as well. And how long is this poor family going to pay for heating or cooling the place? Or maintaining the pool? Or buying expensive filters for their Hyper Heppa Air Filter System? So do they sell it right away and buy something more modest? Then the point is kinda missed, isn't it? Can anyone help with these questions, I'd really like to know. Cheers!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: This is about Extreeme Home Mak... bpwatl 02-21-05 1
 RE: This is about Extreeme Home Mak... samboohoo 02-22-05 2
 RE: This is about Extreeme Home Mak... survivorscott 02-22-05 3
   RE: This is about Extreeme Home Mak... AZ_Leo 02-22-05 4
       RE: This is about Extreeme Home Mak... dajaki 02-23-05 7
           RE: This is about Extreeme Home Mak... AZ_Leo 02-24-05 9
   RE: This is about Extreeme Home Mak... ladro 02-23-05 5
       RE: This is about Extreeme Home Mak... survivorscott 02-23-05 8
 RE: This is about Extreeme Home Mak... ladro 02-23-05 6

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

bpwatl 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

02-21-05, 08:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bpwatl Click to send private message to bpwatl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: This is about Extreeme Home Makeover"
or, ask this....not only how can they afford to pay the increase utility bills, property taxes, etc. But how can they affod to pay the taxes on the front end? This really is no different than winning a prize or receiving a gift and thus, subject to IRS taxes.

The house they just fixed up for the poor family here in Atlanta. I'd have to think they spent $300k on it. That being said, how will this guy afford the tax on that bump in income? surely the producers front him that amount.

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-22-05, 10:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: This is about Extreeme Home Makeover"
I've often wondered that myself. I know a lot of times there have been funds created to help the families out with expenses, etc. On one show Randy Travis did a concert and collected money for that family. And this past Sunday, the Harper family in Atlanta was given $100k. Which, by the way, WTF was up with the size of that house? I mean 5307 sq. ft.!! The only thing I could guess is that they really wanted them to have a "dream house." But how will they be able to afford it. And a lot of times they re-do a dump in a dumpy neighborhood.

Crowned by Pooh. Decorated by Syren

survivorscott 2191 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

02-22-05, 11:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail survivorscott Click to send private message to survivorscott Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: This is about Extreeme Home Makeover"
they talked about this on the radio here recently. Someone called in and said that what they end up doing is the producer "rent" the house from the owners for the week. There is ( and this is the part I have no idea if it is true or not) a law, that says, owners are not responsible for any upgrades that renters make while renting. It seems to be a loophole if it is true. But it does not take into account higher utilities etc.

If someone has some real estate knowledge let us know.

Come in a stranger,leave a little stranger

AZ_Leo 3526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

02-22-05, 03:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AZ_Leo Click to send private message to AZ_Leo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: This is about Extreeme Home Makeover"
LAST EDITED ON 02-22-05 AT 03:18 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 02-22-05 AT 03:15 PM (EST)

Edited to add more accurate info from another article:
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=36550
The above also talks about some legal issues that occurred in this particular case. Apparently the family only kind of owned the home but not in a truly legal sense.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/gilbert/articles/0222extrememess.html

I don't know what has happened in other episodes but they recently finished filming here in the Phoenix area. A young girl wrote in asking for a makeover of the children's floor of the Tucson hospital where she was treated for leukemia. The show not only did the hospital (with the help of Disney animators) but also rebuilt the family's home while they were gone, without the family knowing. From pictures the place looks like a castle.

In this case, the builder and/or show is going to pay income taxes, mortgage, and utilities on the new house for the next year.

Here is a link to info on this episode which should air sometime in March (at least according to the ads for the furniture store they worked with).

http://www.knxv.com/news/morenews/index.asp?did=16192

dajaki 1454 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

02-23-05, 07:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dajaki Click to send private message to dajaki Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: This is about Extreeme Home Makeover"
Leo, did you go down to see it while it was under construction? I packed up my 2 little ones and took a bit of a field trip to see it. There was a constant flow of people doing the same thing.

AZ_Leo 3526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

02-24-05, 02:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AZ_Leo Click to send private message to AZ_Leo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: This is about Extreeme Home Makeover"
I thought about it but I live up in North Phoenix and it just seemed too far away with my schedule. I did catch the news reports on the local ABC affiliate thought, out of curiosity. How far into construction were they when you went?

ladro 1168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

02-23-05, 01:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ladro Click to send private message to ladro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: This is about Extreeme Home Makeover"
LAST EDITED ON 02-23-05 AT 01:40 PM (EST)

Surviovr Scott,
It's a myth.

survivorscott 2191 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

02-23-05, 08:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail survivorscott Click to send private message to survivorscott Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: This is about Extreeme Home Makeover"
I'm a myth?

I thought I was a mythter

Come in a stranger,leave a little stranger

ladro 1168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

02-23-05, 01:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ladro Click to send private message to ladro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: This is about Extreeme Home Makeover"
LAST EDITED ON 02-23-05 AT 01:49 PM (EST)

I and others commented on most of these issues in a thread from a few weeks ago. Fixing up one house in a neighborood is, from the County Assessor's point of view, not going to influence the value of the neighboring houses. If your home is right next door to a dump with broken down vehicles sitting on the lawn, then said dump gets an extreme makeover. Your home is going to be more easy to sale, and hence intrinsicaly (sp?) more valueable. But from the standpoint of property assesment, the value of your home is not going to change.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •